Brett hints he will come back in 2008 season

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.sunherald.com/news/breaking_news/story/292105.html

Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre, on the eve of Saturday's playoff game with the Seattle Seahawks, is giving every indication of returning for an 18th season.

"Each week, I bring more stress on myself wondering if this is too good to be true," Favre told the Sun Herald. "I want to continue the streak and winning. When I talk about the streak, it's not the (consecutive) starts; it's the hot streak we are on. Then, I ask what can I do better?

"I am trying to enjoy it because this could be my last game in Green Bay. For the first time in three years, I haven't thought this could be my last game. I would like to continue longer."

Favre debated whether to return in early 2007 but decided to return.

He has turned in a spectacular 17th season, leading the Packers to a 13-3 record with 28 touchdowns, 4,155 passing yards and a quarterback rating of 95.7, his best in 11 seasons.

Instead of a family vote or Favre making the decision on his own, this one might have fallen directly in the hands of daughter Brittany, a freshman at Charleston Southern, and daughter Breleigh.

Instead of seeking advice at the family home outside Hattiesburg, it might have taken place at a local ice cream shop in Green Bay during Wild Card weekend.

"Brittany was up here and drove to get ice cream," Favre said. "It was like pulling teeth to get Brittany and Breleigh to get out of the car to get the ice cream. But we didn't argue about it being my last game like we have in the past. We talked about Brittany coming back in this weekend from Charleston Southern for what could be my last game.

"Breleigh then spoke up and said, 'Dad, don't retire.' And Brittany said, 'Dad, I think you need to play one more year."'

Favre has career 442 touchdown passes (442), 61,655 career passing yards and 5,377 career pass completions.

"I have a lot to think about. It's been a fun year and winning has made it a good year," Favre said "For the first time in a couple of years, at this point, my focus is solely on Seattle and winning a playoff game at home."

PappyVanWinkle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course he is, these QB's don't know when to quit. So the question is, does he go out a champ like Elway, on his back like Aikman and Steve Young, or with a whimper like Marino and Montana?

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course he is, these QB's don't know when to quit. So the question is, does he go out a champ like Elway, on his back like Aikman and Steve Young, or with a whimper like Marino and Montana?

either way... Favre will go out better than any Seattle Seahawk has ever gone out. so dont you worry about it.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thin the Giants beat the Cowboys, The Packers beat the Giants but I am not sure this team can beat New England in the Superbowl. They are though the team that could beat them.

So if the seson ends on Feb 3rd with a loss in the Arizona Desert I sure hope he is back next year. If the season ends with a Superbowl win I hope he is back as well.

The 2008 tteam will be a little more mature, and off season moves will polish this team. The 2008 Packers will be a better team than this one and this one is second best in the NFL.

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Packers can beat New England.

The Ravens, Eagles, and Giants exposed some weaknesses in the Patriots.

They won't be able to contain the YAC!
:thumbsup:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That is a bold statement and one that I would like to see tested. If we make it to the SB, we'd have to be perfect, and lucky, to win it.

I think we'll keep ahead of Seattle this weekend.

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not looking ahead of Seattle, but the Patriot's defense is old and slow and can be exploited.

That being said.....

Go Pack....Crush the Seachickens!

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think its awesome that he will come back next season. But here is the thing. How much longer does Rodgers want to wait. From what I have seen so far I think Rodgers is the answer so far and would hate for him to go to another team and do great. I love Favre and would take him over Rodgers but eventually I think this is going to be a problem.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Montana didn't exactly go out with a whimper. He took a mediocre team to the Playoffs two straight years, then called it quits.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Heh. Sometimes someone on the forum will exclaim "post of the day!"

Well, I'll exclaim "picture of the day!"

That's too funny.

The thing is, if there's one team in the NFL that can beat the Pats, it's us. We're a good match. I can see their D wearing down late in the game after chasing after Donald and Gregarious and our other Big-5'ers all day long. (has image in his head of Patriot DBs throwing up in their oxygen mask).

favre2driver

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Aaron Rodgers will get tired of waiting and demand to be traded. You can't blame him. Next year will be his 5th year in the NFL. He's spent all 4 years so far holding clipboards and walking up and down the sideline. You can't really blame him. This is kind of like the Brady Quinn situation. Will Derek Anderson sign with another team, or will he stay? Will Brady Quinn be traded? I think we will trade A-rod sometime next year for and 2nd and 3rd rnd pick or something similar. After all, he does have lots of potential, and who better to learn from than #4 himself?

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Favre will come back to, they are on a winning streak and its been a great season for them all. The only way I think Favre will retire is if they do win the SuperBowl then he can go out like the champion he is. But I will still be rooting for him to come back..

Tylaa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett WILL BE BACK- He tells his local newspaper in Kiln, M

Figured he would. Good news considering if we won the Super bowl he would leave so his career ended on a good note...

°Jacob°

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Brett WILL BE BACK- He tells his local newspaper in Kil

yeah i heard on ESPN that he wanted to come back but i still havent seen anything official

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score

All right!

Another potential 16-0 season!

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm seriously thinking the reason he thought about retirement after '05 and '06 was because he was unsure of himself. Were his skills declining? Was he an asset, or a burden on the Green Bay Packers?

'07, Favre is an entirely different QB. MM created a system, and convinced Favre to trust him and work the system instead of trying to do it all himself. The system consists of a high completion percentage, where you use your WRs to find weaknesses in Ds and exploit them. The system relies heavily on YAC, and thus the reason TT found the perfect WRs for it (he got us Jennings, Jones, and Robinson, and if I'm not mistaken, R Martin too, right?)

The big loser in all this is TT's very first draft pick for the Packers - Aaron Rodgers. With the system, Favre can play for another 3 or 4 years, maybe even longer. This system doesn't need a young QB. It needs someone who studies opponents and is willing to do a lot of homework. It needs someone with brains, but they absolutely have to be accurate. Favre is an accurate passer. He has always been. And he'll be for several more years at least.

Now, just because Brett CAN play in this system for many more years doesn't mean he will. He has personal reasons to retire, reasons that you and I cannot comprehend because we're not in his shoes.

So he'll play one more year. That didn't surprise me. How many after '08? Only Brett Favre knows.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Brett WILL BE BACK- He tells his local newspaper in Kil

Favre will get his AARP card and STILL be playing!!! :D

flep

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My belief is that is we win it all Brett retires, but if we don't he comes back.

And.....

I don't think it will be for just one more year.

This is a talented "YOUNG" team and Brett will try to take it as far as he can.

Watching Brett play I truly beleive he beleves he can play for a few more years at least.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to see what Rodgers can do in the starting role, but if Favre would like to come back I'm not complaining.

Members online

Latest posts