Brett Favre to meet with McCarthy this week

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I jsut saw on SportsCenter that Favre is to meet with McCarthy this week to talk about his future.

I wonder when we'll get word.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Checkin' the web - no updates on USA Today, or elsewhere, so far.....

Not even on ESPN.com -- anyone else having any luck?

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This was reported on NFL countdown on Sunday, though apparently the thought is that Favre has not managed to come up with a compelling reason to return for next season. I think MM is traveling to Mississippi today or tomorrow for the meeting.

Core

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay, I think Favre is one of the best in the game, but if MM is indeed going to Mississippi to have a meeting with Brett, I think its the wrong signal. Ofcourse Brett is the leader of the team, but I would hope for MM to show some balls and make Brett come to him, if Brett wants to continue playing. Perhaps its just not the european way of doing it, but I hate the idea of a new coach sucking up to a single player. Brett should face the changes like everyone else on the team and deside what on earth he wants.

LambeauLeaper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
If he really wants him back he'll take his daughter with him!! :Evil: :Evil:
But, then he'd have to change his name to "*****" and get a purple suit, a walking cane with a gold plated eagle head on the top, and a huge hat with a feather in it.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't really see anything wrong with them going down there to talk to him. To me thats just good business, not sucking up. If he was a college player being wooed by colleges, they all would be running down to visit him. So i don't see anything wrong with talking to Brett on his turf. I think Favre has earned it. Maybe they can get this settled better this way, and also keep his family involved in the talks. Deanna will be there, and his Mom......where they would not be if only Brett came up here. They might be able to convince Brett to give it one more shot.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does anybody get the feeling that Brett thoroughly enjoys this kind of attention. Come on, he has all time records within reach, and over $10 million on the table and he doesn't know if he wants to come back? He still has incredible ability to boot. I know if he does retire, he will regret it. Last year I bought into all of it and sat on pins and needles waiting for the decision, but not this year.

I have accepted that next year is a rebuilding year without him, and with him we always have a good chance (Sorry if this sounds like the morons on espn).

What I don't want is for Favre to demand a trade. He is one athlete who does not belong in another team's uniform. I can understand wanting to go out like Elway did, but fairy tail endings are rare, and I think Brett realizes he might never get the chance to win the big game again.

I also think that when Brett decides to play, he should restructure for a 3 year deal.

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DakotaT said:
Does anybody get the feeling that Brett thoroughly enjoys this kind of attention. Come on, he has all time records within reach, and over $10 million on the table and he doesn't know if he wants to come back? He still has incredible ability to boot. I know if he does retire, he will regret it. Last year I bought into all of it and sat on pins and needles waiting for the decision, but not this year.

I have accepted that next year is a rebuilding year without him, and with him we always have a good chance (Sorry if this sounds like the morons on espn).

What I don't want is for Favre to demand a trade. He is one athlete who does not belong in another team's uniform. I can understand wanting to go out like Elway did, but fairy tail endings are rare, and I think Brett realizes he might never get the chance to win the big game again.

I also think that when Brett decides to play, he should restructure for a 3 year deal.

I dont think Brett would demand a trade. And he has stated that he would be willing to redo his deal if he had assurances from TT that the cap space provided would be used to obtain help in FA. So bottom line is it is up to Brett to make the decision.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well here it is. This is probably the biggest 'meeting' of them all. If things go well, Favre could be on board another year, maybe even 2(maybe more, but i wouldnt push it). If it doesnt go well, the A-Rod Experiment begins sooner than we all want it to.

I think the meeting will go well. MM brought in jag-off(a nickname of love) who is good with offensive line,the run game, and involving the TE. Favre is a QB who in 2003 was buying into being a running team, and favre likes to throw to his TE(and anyone else).

This year favre threw career high ints, career high attempts, and unofficially career high pressure. He had one of the worst offensive line play he has had to deal with in a looong time.

But with this new team, none of that is an issue. our head coach used to coach Favre, they got along well. Our HC is a pass man, he knows about the passing game more than a lot of people, so thats good for favre. MM brought in his polar opposite to help the team, a man who is knowledgeable in the trenches, who can get the big uglies to do some good things, and a man familiar with the run game.

It is an offense that I would think Favre would like to come play for. He is familiar with both the HC,OC, and even the DC. It is going to be a balanced offense, not just a "our first 3 running plays didnt go well, lets empty the backfield and let brett throw the rest of the game" offense.

Even our DC was on the team last year, and I dunno about how often Sanders and Favre spoke, but hes a Bates guy, and being able to tell favre the defense wont change much(if at all) and selling favre the idea that our D will be decent again should convince #4 to come on back.

lets hope it works out.

Aceschnd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope this is the week he announces he's comin back, I can't wait much longer. I really believe if he comes back he will sign for 2 more years and we will be competitive next year. Favre is still one of the best and he still has it in him to lead this team to something great.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Core, we are little bit less formal than Europe especially the Green Bay Packer organization.which is based here in Green Bay Wisconsin. Green Bay is by far smallest city in Major league sports. Green Bay's population is 102,000. I don't think most in Green Bay & in the Packer organization think there is anything wrong with the New Head Coach Mike McCarthy going down to Mississippi to visit Green Bay's franchise Quarter back Brett Favre . The Pro Football business is very much different that a standard business operating in the USA. Pro football isn't the "real world" of corporate business here in this nation. Both Mike and Brett are acquainted with each other, as Mike McCarthy was his coach for one year in 1999, when Ray Rhodes was the head Coach here in Green Bay for one year. Brett at that time, saw Mike McCarthy as a good energetic young asssistant coach. They both will probably be looking forward to the renewal of an old friendship. If Mike McCarthy would have the time which he probably doesn't , he probably would like to do a little fishing with Brett down there in Mississippi. Both like to fish!! Football relationships are different. However, not all coaches are close to their players, but some are what are called "Players coaches." They do have a different closer relationship with their players. ." But discipline between the Head Coach and his player still has to be maintained. Sometimes it isn't and that can create many problems which can show in how the team plays on the field. That can cause some coaches to lose their positions. Also Mike McCarthy is a younger than average head Coach in NFL and this is Mike's first head coaching position. and Brett is a lot older than most NFL players plus Brett's father was a career high School career football coach. Brett knows where line is between a head coach and a player should not cross it. Brett also has the respect of his team mates, which helps. There will be no problem!! Brett is veteran player.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JbShell said:
DakotaT said:

I dont think Brett would demand a trade. And he has stated that he would be willing to redo his deal if he had assurances from TT that the cap space provided would be used to obtain help in FA. So bottom line is it is up to Brett to make the decision.

I agree with you...Brett has stated numerous times that he either plays in GB or retires. I happen to believe him when he says that. I also think he's willing to re-structure his contract as he has in the past. TT needs to use this caproom and make the Packers competitive as the final Favre year or two are right in front of his face...IF Favre comes back at all, that is.

shiftysdad

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i just hope that Favre comes back, all he needs is a good line... and maybe some better recievers...
but i think Favre is considering commin back for atleast another year, since this year was so disapointing.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is latest story concerning the meeting of New Green Bay Head Coach Mike McCarthy and Packer QB Brett Favre which appeared in sport pages of Green Bay Press-Gazette, today Tuesday January 24, 2004 and on packersnewsforum.com If you will notice there is nothing said, ruling out a meeting.

Posted Jan. 24, 2006

Visit to Favre not in McCarthy’s plans

By Dylan B. Tomlinson
PackersNews.com

While Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy will be headed to Mobile, Ala., for the Senior Bowl later this week, he said he has no plans to make any side trips to Mississippi.

When McCarthy and his staff is in Mobile evaluating college talent for the NFL draft, they will be only about 100 miles from Hattiesburg, Miss., where quarterback Brett Favre lives. It would seem logical that McCarthy would take advantage of a trip South to make a stop to see Favre.

On Monday, McCarthy said there was no truth to a report he will be meeting with Favre later this week to try to convince Favre to return to the Packers for the 2006 season.

“I have no scheduled meeting with Brett,â€

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess we should be thankful that MM is kind enough to travel to within 100 miles of Brett. I like the fact that TT is alledgedly talking to Brett and wants him back but brett has always been a coach's player, ever since his dad coached him. The fact that MM hasn't even spoke to the guy he alledgedly wants to be his QB floors me. It has to be one of two reasons. MM wants this to be HIS team and he knows it will always be Brett's as long as he is there....or....TT has told MM not to contact Favre until given permission. My guess is it would be the second.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If TT and MM have a brain between their ears, they'll be contacting Brett sometime soon. They should sit down with him and explain the direction of the team...explain the caproom they have and how they plan on attacking both the draft and free agency.

This team is not that far away if those who were injured can come back strong. Favre can revert back to his old form pre-2005 with some weapons again. In fact, I heard MM is going to bring back the old West Coast offense, utilizing the tight ends and RB's more in the passing game. I think that's exactly what Brett needs right now...

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
If TT and MM have a brain between their ears, they'll be contacting Brett sometime soon. They should sit down with him and explain the direction of the team...explain the caproom they have and how they plan on attacking both the draft and free agency.

This team is not that far away if those who were injured can come back strong. Favre can revert back to his old form pre-2005 with some weapons again. In fact, I heard MM is going to bring back the old West Coast offense, utilizing the tight ends and RB's more in the passing game. I think that's exactly what Brett needs right now...

http://www.packersnews.com/archives/new ... 0099.shtml

Posted Jan. 18, 2005
The first week of Brett Favre’s vacation was a quiet one.

If there were any calls from anyone in the Green Bay Packers’ organization to beg Favre to come back for a 15th season, they didn’t come from coach Mike Sherman, who said he hadn’t spoken to his quarterback since after the Jan. 9 playoff loss to the Minnesota Vikings.

“I talked to Brett after the game and we had a great conversation in spite of the situation we were in,â€

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
NDPackerFan said:

http://www.packersnews.com/archives/new ... 0099.shtml

Posted Jan. 18, 2005
The first week of Brett Favre’s vacation was a quiet one.

If there were any calls from anyone in the Green Bay Packers’ organization to beg Favre to come back for a 15th season, they didn’t come from coach Mike Sherman, who said he hadn’t spoken to his quarterback since after the Jan. 9 playoff loss to the Minnesota Vikings.

“I talked to Brett after the game and we had a great conversation in spite of the situation we were in,â€

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts