Brett Favre - Surgery

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
umair said:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2719097

another article about favres surgery.

This guy makes how many millions of dollars yet isn't smart enough to get an injury taken care of when he is still young? :roll:

Good point rabid, when your young you heal alot quicker. Also cant believe someone would stay in pain that long if there is a simple correction like surgery. But Brett has to know how much pain he can tolerate I guess, he is one tough man!!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well.....with ANY surgery something can go wrong. So if you can deal with it, why NOT put it off as long as you can? What if he had had it, and it messed something up? It could happen. So.........hopefully soon we will know if it matters football wise or not.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey Sar girl!!! HOw have you been?

He has lived with this ankle problem for seven years, he probably thinks why do it now? Like Cheesy said, every surgery has its risks so maybe he wants to still come back and play so he wanted to wait til he makes his decision..

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Favre to have ankle surgery

By Pete Dougherty
[email protected]

Quarterback Brett Favre will travel to Green Bay sometime in the next couple weeks to undergo surgery to remove bone spurs in his left ankle that have been bothering him for several years, said a source familiar with the situation.

Favre has postponed the surgery for at least five years and played through the discomfort, but this year he’s decided to undergo the procedure to give him some relief and perhaps help his mobility. General Manager Ted Thompson confirmed Tuesday that Favre is having the spurs removed this offseason by team physician Pat McKenzie.

“Nobody’s told me exactly when (the surgery) is,” Thompson said. “The plan was to go ahead and have it done sometime, and (Favre) mentioned when I first talked to him he would set that up with Pat, and I don’t have any dates. It wouldn’t surprise me (that they’ve set a date), but I can’t confirm anything.”

The surgery shouldn’t sideline Favre for more than several weeks. Unless there are unexpected complications, he presumably will be ready to participate in the Packers’ post-draft minicamp in early May.

“I wouldn’t think (he’d be out long),” Thompson said. “There’d be some normal down time, but I haven’t gone through that with our medical people yet.”

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is an elective surgery and some doctors will tell you that you should avoid surgery by stretching properly and such. It is a natural occurrence in aging athletes and people who may be flat footed. The fact is some doctors say you should avoid the surgery if possible because the surgery can cause spur particles to fall into the joints and make the situation worse latter on in life.

For anyone to say Brett was avoiding it is silly, I am sure he was listening to his doctors and taking the doctors advice.

One month ago Jamal Lewis chose to have the exact same surgery, it was an option. Jamal chose to remove bone spurs from his right ankle because those bone spurs slowed him during the 2006 season, especially in the first six games until he took injections to ease the pain.

According to a web site I looked at Lewis said this....

"This surgery was nothing, really, just to remove bone spurs and clean it out," Lewis said. "It's not like I had ligament surgery. It would have been worse if I didn't get it done. Last year, I never had full range of motion in my right ankle. I couldn't plant like I wanted to, couldn't push off and accelerate. Everybody knew it, but I wasn't going to tell anybody."

Perhaps Brett felt that if he could push off a little better this year he could get the ball off better, perhaps the fact he chose to have this elective surgery is a sign that he is serious about another run, and wants to step in next year and have one hell of a season with a team he feels is on the rise.

It would have been so easy to not have the surgery if he did not decide to return, or if he was not real serious about coming back next year with a vengeance to go out with a bang in his final two years.

The fact he chose the surgery option tells me he is back for at least TWO more Years.

Raider Pride.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish he had done it. I would have taken that as a positive sign.

Well now having it I think is a positive sign!!

Last August in one of his early jpress conferences(maybe the one where he discussed the talent of the team and lack of experience) he said that when he awoke and walked that morning "it felt like he was walking on glass."

Two months recovery time will have him ready for post draft mini-camps. It can also be an excuse for him to miss if so desired by the coaching staff.

I hope he would work with the personal trainer as he did before 05 season. I think that did him a lot of good.

I am pleased with this news.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
CaliforniaCheez said:
I wish he had done it. I would have taken that as a positive sign.

Well now having it I think is a positive sign!!

Last August in one of his early jpress conferences(maybe the one where he discussed the talent of the team and lack of experience) he said that when he awoke and walked that morning "it felt like he was walking on glass."

Two months recovery time will have him ready for post draft mini-camps. It can also be an excuse for him to miss if so desired by the coaching staff.

I hope he would work with the personal trainer as he did before 05 season. I think that did him a lot of good.

I am pleased with this news.

"This morning, I'm like, 'What am I doing?' " Favre said. "It feels like I've got glass in my shoes. But I know from experience, even though every time we practice and every time we play and every season it may get a little worse, once I get on the field, it seems to kind of go away."

Source Link

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay, Zero, so in my old age my memory is not what was and I didn't spend the time looking it up. Thanks for doing that.
I'll give you credit on Cliff but don't start making me nervous.....

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Okay, Zero, so in my old age my memory is not what was and I didn't spend the time looking it up. Thanks for doing that.
I'll give you credit on Cliff but don't start making me nervous.....

lol i was posting it to support your comment. im kind of a stickler for quotes, if i see a quote, i want a link to support it. so that was more for others who wanted verification or perhaps to read the article ;)

edit, if ur not lying, nothing to be nervous about :p

PackCrazed4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chicago Native on loan to Tallahassee, FL
Hey Sar girl!!! HOw have you been?

He has lived with this ankle problem for seven years, he probably thinks why do it now? Like Cheesy said, every surgery has its risks so maybe he wants to still come back and play so he wanted to wait til he makes his decision..

Hey Heath!

I've been good! How about you?

haha, sorry I'm responding to this now, I just re-came across this thread

Well, from what I've heard the surgery is supposed to happen again, when? No idea

Members online

Latest posts