Brett Favre (No Retire)

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Let's see, good defense, great wr, great running game, who else has a team like that?? Ohh yeah........ Indy how did Peyton do last week?

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
What can't be said about alot of QB's is that they are a sure lock for the HOF 5 years after retirement?

Why do you think that is...?

You see..this is that ungrateful attitude that I've been talking about....

(Favre should play for another team...You guys don't deserve him...)

[email protected] a suggestion. Please stop painting with such a broad stroke. You say things like "you guys don't deserve him..." far too often. Who are you referring to? I appreciate everything Favre has done for this team and hope he comes back. I know one poster earlier said he'd take Ben because he's been one game away from the SB 2 years in a row or whatever. If you are directing your post at him, please make it known. You typing "you guys" is talking about a whole lot of people on here, many of whom think a ton of Brett Favre.

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Give Favre Hines Ward and Randle El...and see what he can do....

IPB..maybe you should change your monniker to ISB....

It's patently unfair to compare Brett Favre to anyone with the team that he had last year...you should know better...

Rothlisberger can't win games on his own...time will bear this out....

on the other hand...Brett Favre can...give him the receivers and protection and he will tear you apart...

Where have you been the last 15 years???

True just give Brett a recieving corp he can work with all year

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
For the record I would rather have Brett play next year ( notice I didn't say come back, cuz he is under contract to play and has not announced he is retiring)

I am just trying to prove point bout Ben...

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
ND..

i realize that...

the people who i am talking to realize who they are (i hope..)

(and that goes for both sides....I guess I should have said.."SOME" of you people...how's that?)

Also..ND..some of these posters here don't know or can't remember what it's like to go through season after season with a mediocre QB...Ask the Baltimore Ravens and Cleveland Browns about that one...

and it took years for Denver, Pittsburgh, Seattle, and Carolina..to build a strong enough team where a mediocre QB may be enough to get you through...plus..those teams have excellent coaching...so it's no easy proposition to have one of those teams that are currently in the Championship games today...

It's much easier and faster to get there with a Premium QB and a good team, then an average QB with a Premium Team around him...

One things for sure...Everybody should be on this guy's side...

http://www.transbuddha.com/mediaHolder.php?id=614

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
It's much easier and faster to get there with a Premium QB and a good team, then an average QB with a Premium Team around him...
This I would agree with...

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack66 - You need to quit trying to slander other people's opinions

If you need stepping stones to make your point - then you should back up and retry....

ISB, my butt... get over yerself.

We "were" talking about how well Big Ben is at this stage of the game - and given the record(s) of both Favre and Rothlisgerger in (get this) "year two".... WHAT ARE WE LOOKING AT?

Was Favre in the NFC Championship game in year two?

Was Favre doing that feat in either of his first two years in the League?

How many INT's did Big Ben have in this, his second year in the NFL?
And, what was Favre's INT percentages "in his second year" ......?

Seriously - let's compare proper time frames and be done with it.
You've yet to do that.

Holmgren saved Brett Favre's periously short (almost) career....
I can just about hear the Falcons HC - speaking up about Favre had he failed in Green Bay.....

Certainly, Favre is a 3xMVP - but he "shared" that third MVP award - when, personally, I thought Barry Sanders totally earned it and shouldn't have had to share it. Just like Manning and McNair shouldn't be sharing one, either. I CAN'T STAND this BS PC nonsense - since when...ever... has an MVP ever had to "share" the award before...? If it ever happened, then it was truly rare! I haven't looked, but I would offer it never had before.... not before Favre! It was wrong then, and it's still wrong today.

Let's time frame this - and put a young Favre up against Big Ben of today....
Rothlisberger wins the MVP award over Favre.. without question.
Now, if you put a third-year Favre against Big Ben of today... that's a different comparison, yet again...
Big Ben is almost as good as Terry Bradshaw of the Seventies...

And, yes, I'm old enough to remember the comparisons - so get over that, too!

I've told you guys before - I call Favre ... Favor... when he can certianly use one.
There is no such thing as a QB being bigger than his team.
I hate it when people say they luv Dan Marino, but hate the Dolphins... it's ludicrous!

I'm a Packers' Acolyte - not just a Favre Acolyte. There's a huge difference!

I'm thinkin' Pack66 has a real hard time when other(s) won't outright agree with his postings..
He has good postings, and he has bad postings.. like everyone here...
Hes no expert on the game, and neither are the rest of us...
If he was - why isn't he working for one of these 32 teams we all watch every season?

Keep your defamation to yourself.....

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
C'mon IPB...

What kind of team did Rothlisberger step into and what kind did Favre when they both were rookies...

There is no comparison...

The Steeler team that Ben inherited is WAY better than the team Favre was asked to take over, and was on the cusp of going to the SB......

How can you NOT factor that into your equation?

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
IPB..

You didn't answer my question....

How can you compare the Steelers that Rothlisberger signed with and the Packers that Favre signed with?

Do they compare?

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
and I'M an instigator?

Nah - you're just along fer the ride.....

Pack66 - you try waaay too hard to be the (ahem) Leader around here... quite often your posts smack as if you're talking down to the rest of us... Puttin' labels on others for the quick shutdown doesn't always work - and won't with this Conservative! Finding fault with others isn't the sure way to get everyone else to think you're automatically better than anyone else. Though quite a few never give up that rot....

Maybe you should try starting your own local Packbacker Club - see how well you succeed. I'll be the first to congratulate you.. pending you do succeed, that is!

It's true that Favre had to wait longer for the rest of the Team to get rounded up. But, one wonders, that with his stats for the first two years, as a Packer - would he have been able to control himself "well enough" to take the Packers to an NFC Championship game, like Big Ben has done....? I really don't think so.

In 1993, his INT ratio was horrendous. And, Holmgren threatened to sit him down, if he didn't knock it off. And, I do mean, Holmgren had to "threaten" that fledgling Superstar. Any other HC in the NFL probably wouldn't have had the same affect on Favre and he probably would have kept "throwing the game away", as what INT's will do.

In 2005, I counted at least three games where Favre's INT ratio cost us those games... it's history re-visited.

Sure - Big Ben's got somewhat of a cushion - but, he's also only in his 2nd year, in the NFL. You cannot avoid that historical fact. Many a QB would luv to have his chance - but almost all of the others would wreck it somehow - Rothlisberger seems to have found a quiet place inside of himself - and won the battle with whatever demons he may have.... Fact is - next year, could be just the opposite of these last two - one never knows....!

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPB....what is with this sudden bashing of Brett you've developed? As a LEADER of a huge Packer fan club you should know better. Anyone who doesn't appreciate Brett Favre for what he has done for this organization doesn't deserve to call themselves a Packer fan. Without Brett we are still experiencing the 70's and 80's. Reggie White didn't come play for the Packers because of Holmgren. He came because of Favre.

And another thing, Pack66 may be antagonistic and outspoken
( I know...pot calling the kettle black here) but his football knowledge is topnotch. I'm not trying to offend you but if anyone on this board has his nose up in the air it is some guy that runs "a huge packer fan club" to perfection. News flash....anyone can do it.......most people have better things to do.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
DePack, I dont find his posts " bashing " Brett, but rathering comparing Ben and Brett's 1st 2 years...

I can see both sides of the coin and he is just trying to say that Brett needed Holmgren to get him on track...With out Mike, Mooch and others he thinks Brett would not have flourished as well as he did...I can understand that, it was the perfect timing for the Packers, Mike and Brett...

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The point is Longtime and IPB...that EVERY rookie QB needs time to develop....every single one..from Marino...(wasn't he in the SB his rookie season?), to Montana, Elway, Favre..and even the stupendous Rothlisberger....

yet..don't forget...this kid is throwing to EXCELLENT receivers..has a GREAT running game and offensive line..and a terrific defense backing him up....

and the other day...he was playing against a very, very suspect Bronco defense the other day..they can't stop anybody....

oh i'm not saying that the kid isn't going to be good...

But let's not get carried away and annoint him as the second coming of Johnny U. or something like that....

I'd like to see him perform against a defense that is shutting down his receivers and his running game, and leaving him little margin for error...that is when to judge a QB..against a defense like that...

Seattle may be the one...

And don't forget Packer fans...don't be so quick to toss aside your current HOF QB...the jury's still out on Rothlisberger....

I bet he would look like a very average QB if his best receiver was Donald Driver and that's all he had....

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
The point is Longtime and IPB...that EVERY rookie QB needs time to develop....every single one..from Marino...(wasn't he in the SB his rookie season?), to Montana, Elway, Favre..and even the stupendous Rothlisberger....

yet..don't forget...this kid is throwing to EXCELLENT receivers..has a GREAT running game and offensive line..and a terrific defense backing him up....

and the other day...he was playing against a very, very suspect Bronco defense the other day..they can't stop anybody....

oh i'm not saying that the kid isn't going to be good...

But let's not get carried away and annoint him as the second coming of Johnny U. or something like that....

I'd like to see him perform against a defense that is shutting down his receivers and his running game, and leaving him little margin for error...that is when to judge a QB..against a defense like that...

Seattle may be the one...

And don't forget Packer fans...don't be so quick to toss aside your current HOF QB...the jury's still out on Rothlisberger....

I bet he would look like a very average QB if his best receiver was Donald Driver and that's all he had....

I am not saying Ben is better then Brett, and not saying he is going to be better then Brett...Just pointing out that he has to have something to be able to do what he has done 2 years in a row is all...

Plus he was at right spot at right time, who knows what would have happened in 2004 if Ben didn't replace Tommy in 2004....And same could be said about Brady, or Warner...

They all were in right spot at right time, which is what IB was trying to say about Brett...

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Isn't the point here that Big Ben has been afforded the opportunity to play for a good team whereas most top young QB's end up on poor teams by virtue of their draft position?
With this being the case it shows that a young QB can be successful if the talent around them doesn't ask too much of them vs. being thrown to the wolves like Smith and Carr. I mean not even veteran QB's will have much of a rating throwing as their backside hits the ground.

We can expect to see the Pack much improved personnel wise this coming year with the cap room available and our draft position. It would be ideal if Brett comes back to give MM a year to bring A-Rod along but if he were to retire TT will surely use the extra $ to bolster the "0" and take the load off AR.
I'm not sure that would equate to what Ben got to work with coming in but
with bringing in a staff to generate a running game and enough dough to fill the holes we have it would be a better setting than most young QB's get.
I do have a queston. I see our cap is approx. #21m. That's considering BF, Fergy, and, Diggs will be back. If Brett retires and we cut these two($2.1M due Fergy and $900k for Digg's) do we add that to the existing cap or are there adjustments?

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
... but yea, if Brett plays for another team, I won't hold it against him. I'd root for him until he played against the Packers.

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
... but yea, if Brett plays for another team, I won't hold it against him. I'd root for him until he played against the Packers.

Not me I would hold it against him just like I did Reggie you dont go around stating you wont pl,ay for another team and then do it period. But not like Brett gives one rats *** about what I think of him any how.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
JbShell said:
Zero2Cool said:

Not me I would hold it against him just like I did Reggie you dont go around stating you wont pl,ay for another team and then do it period. But not like Brett gives one rats *** about what I think of him any how.

Good point, if you can't take a man for his word what can you take him for?

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Not this again...

Hey..if TT thumbs his nose at Favre and basically says that he doesn't want him back..without actually coming out and saying it...then I wouldn't blame Favre for signing with a team that is committed to winning for REAL....!

You can only take so much DISRESPECT!!

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Not this again...

Hey..if TT thumbs his nose at Favre and basically says that he doesn't want him back..without actually coming out and saying it...then I wouldn't blame Favre for signing with a team that is committed to winning for REAL....!

You can only take so much DISRESPECT!!

Could not have said it better 66 !!!

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like we have a two-sides contest - and each Member may (or may not) feel it necessary to take a side - I would offer that they take their own side, with MULTIPLE opinions on the subject....

Thanks for the support LTF - you would be correct in what I was putting to words. I didn't mince those words, either. Everyone in our Club has heard me scream at the big-screen "C'mon Faver (not Favre), get a grip on what's happening..." --- he was trying to throw into double coverage, when Ferguson, or Chatman would be wide open on the 5yd line.. and Double-D was supposed to be the intended target. Even the Announcer would throw his two-cents in and relate how Brett missed that BIG one - coulda been a TD!

Like I said - I luv the guy - have several collector items of Brett Favre in my Shrine... but, when a Player (any player) screws up... ya just gotta call 'em on it!

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it's the red herring Prez...somebody takes you're opinion an attaches it to a rediculous perspective. you can't argue with that, you just have to shake your head and part ways.

Members online

Latest posts