Brett Favre Named NFC Offensive Player Of The Week

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Quarterback BRETT FAVRE of the Green Bay Packers, linebacker SCOTT FUJITA of the New Orleans Saints and kicker JOHN KASAY of the Carolina Panthers are the NFC Offensive, Defensive and Special Teams Players of the Week for games played the third week of the 2006 season (September 24-25), the NFL announced Wednesday.

OFFENSE: QB BRETT FAVRE, GREEN BAY PACKERS
-It was a milestone afternoon for Favre, who led the Green Bay Packers to a 31-24 road win over the NFC North-rival Detroit Lions at Ford Field. With no score in the first quarter, Favre connected on a 75-yard touchdown pass to rookie GREG JENNINGS, the 400th touchdown pass of his illustrious career, joining DAN MARINO (420) as the only players in NFL history to accomplish the feat. It was the 10th career touchdown pass of at least 75 yards for Favre, tying five other players for the most all-time. On the day, he completed 25 of 36 attempts for 340 yards, three touchdowns and no interceptions, posting a Week 3-high 127.1 passer rating. With the Packers clinging to a 24-21 fourth-quarter advantage, Favre connected with running back AHMAN GREEN on his third touchdown pass of the day, a 10-yarder for the club's final score. The win was the first for the club's first-year head coach MIKE MC CARTHY.

In his 16th season from Southern Mississippi, this is Favre's 10th career Player of the Week Award and first since Week 10 of 2004

DEFENSE: LB SCOTT FUJITA, NEW ORLEANS SAINTS
-On what was certainly one of the most memorable nights in the history of the New Orleans Saints franchise, Fujita helped make sure it was a winning one as well, playing a major role in the 23-3 win over the Atlanta Falcons on the night the Superdome was reopened. Fujita posted eight tackles, 1.0 sack and one forced fumble in the win. His sack and forced fumble came on the opening series of the game, forcing a fourth-and-10 punt that was blocked by teammate STEVE GLEASON and recovered by the Saints for a touchdown and 7-0 advantage. Fujita, who joined the club as a free agent after spending 2005 in Dallas, was instrumental in holding the Atlanta ground game in check, as the Falcons - who entered Monday night averaging 279 rushing yards per game - were held to 117 rushing yards.

In his fifth season from California, this is Fujita's first career Player of the Week Award.

SPECIAL TEAMS: K JOHN KASAY, CAROLINA PANTHERS
-Kasay was a pivotal factor in the Panthers earning their first win of the season, a 26-24 win over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Raymond James Stadium. The veteran kicker connected on four of four field goal attempts, becoming the first player in NFL history to hit four field goals from 46 yards and beyond in the same game. After a 51-yard kick in the first quarter, a 50-yarder in the second and a 49-yard effort in the third, Kasay connected on his most important kick of the day, a game-winning 46-yard field goal with two seconds remaining to lift the Panthers to victory.

In his 16th season from Georgia, this is Kasay's sixth career Player of the Week Award.

2006 NFC PLAYERS OF THE WEEK

Week 1
QB Kurt Warner, Arizona
DE John Abraham, Atlanta
K Jeff Wilkins, St. Louis

Week 2
QB Eli Manning, NY Giants
DT Tommie Harris, Chicago
K Ryan Longwell, Minnesota

Week 3
QB Brett Favre, Green Bay
LB Scott Fujita, New Orleans
K John Kasay, Carolina

Other nominees for NFC Offensive Player of Week 3 were:
-Washington quarterback MARK BRUNELL, who had an NFL single-game record 22 consecutive completions, leading the Redskins to a 31-15 win at Houston. Brunell finished 24 of 27 for 261 yards and one touchdown, posting a 119.3 passer rating.

-Seattle quarterback MATT HASSELBECK, who completed 24 of 33 attempts for 227 yards and five touchdown passes, helping Seattle to a 35-3 halftime lead in a 42-30 triumph over the Giants.

-Philadelphia running back BRIAN WESTBROOK, who posted 164 yards of total offense in a 38-24 win at San Francisco with a career high-tying three touchdowns. He scored on rushes of 71 and eight yards and added a four-yard touchdown reception. He rushed for 117 yards and totaled four catches for 47 yards.

Other nominees for NFC Defensive Player of Week 3 were:
-Green Bay safety NICK COLLINS, who made seven tackles and broke up three passes, including the final play of the game in the Packers' end zone.

-Seattle safety KEN HAMLIN, who returned two interceptions for a total of 63 yards, with each pick leading to first-quarter touchdowns. He also added four tackles.

-Chicago defensive tackle TOMMIE HARRIS, who forced a fumble that led to the game-winning touchdown in 19-16 win at Minnesota. Harris also added two tackles and 1.0 sack on the day

-Minnesota cornerback ANTOINE WINFIELD, who returned an interception seven yards for a touchdown and added 10 tackles against Chicago.

Other nominees for NFC Special Teams Player of Week 3 were:
-Washington punter DERRICK FROST, who averaged 56 yards on two punts with a long punt of 60 yards.

-New Orleans special teamer STEVE GLEASON, who blocked a punt on the opening possession of the game which was recovered in the end zone for a touchdown, setting the tone for the Saints in their Monday night win versus Atlanta.

-Chicago kicker ROBBIE GOULD, who connected on four of four field goal attempts from 41, 24, 31 and 49 yards in the Bears win.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
smlutz said:
When was Kurt Warner a Packer? This is news to me.

And NFL.com as well...

NFL.com has an article that says Kurt was a Packer. lol :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_Warner

Ya learn something new everyday.
After college, he attended the Green Bay Packers training camp in 1994, but was released from the team. Later he worked at the Cedar Falls Hy-Vee Food Store stocking shelves before being signed by the Iowa Barnstormers of the Arena Football League, in 1995. Warner was named to the AFL's All-Arena First Team in 1996 and 1997 as he led the Barnstormers to ArenaBowl appearances in both seasons

smlutz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
smlutz said:

And NFL.com as well...

After college, he attended the Green Bay Packers training camp in 1994, but was released from the team. Later he worked at the Cedar Falls Hy-Vee Food Store stocking shelves before being signed by the Iowa Barnstormers of the Arena Football League, in 1995. Warner was named to the AFL's All-Arena First Team in 1996 and 1997 as he led the Barnstormers to ArenaBowl appearances in both seasons

Well, if thats true (wiki isn't always 100% but usually) it's something I didn't know before.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
smlutz said:
Zero2Cool said:
smlutz said:

And NFL.com as well...

Well, if thats true (wiki isn't always 100% but usually) it's something I didn't know before.

I wouldn't say it if it wasn't true bro. He never made it to the active roster hence why NFL.com doesn't have him listed as playing a season for GB, he was cut before final rosters were made.

What source will you believe, its all over the internet. I'm sure I could find one that appeals your trust.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
man...seems like there's an NFC offensive player of the week curse...Warner went from player of the week to damn near being benched this week...Giants were blown out in week 3 =^O

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Some of you may recall during the PbP I asked AADP how many yards Brett threw for the previous week. I had asked that question because I thought it was the total he amassed yet again against the Lions. Sure enough, a few days later I remembered the question lol ...

340 against the Saints and Lions.
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/1 ... elogs/2006

After three games he's on pace to throw over 4,500 yards!!

usmpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett gave Kurt Warner the nickname "Pop", as in Pop Warner football, when Kurt was in GB. Didn't stick beyond the GB training camp, obviously. And please don't say Kurt is playing like he's still in Pop Warner football; anybody can have a bad game, and he was earlier in this young season the offensive player of the week.

Glad to see the Pack play so well against Detroit, which for some reason doesn't always happen.

Watch Brett's college team, Southern Miss, on ESPN2 next Tuesday 10/3, vs. Tulsa, who won the Conference USA championship last season. Tulsa has a QB, Paul Smith, who has NFL potential, and a great head coach [he revealed a trivia question last season: the Southern Miss offensive coordinator was the starting QB several years ago at Northern Iowa. Who was his backup? Kurt Warner. The coordinator was asked about that, and he [Jay Johnson] said, "I became a football coach, and Kurt became a millionaire].

Southern Miss has an NFL potential tight end, only a sophomore, he wears #1, Shawn Nelson, and a true freshman running back who is in the top 10 in the country in rushing, Damion Fletcher [from Biloxi, MS; his home was destroyed by Katrina, his high school team decimated by players having to move away after the storm]. Only Arkansas State and Southern Miss were interested in Damion, while the "other" schools in the state, and the Alabama Crimson Tide pursued "bigger" name HS running backs in our state who have not done nearly what Damion has done in 4 games. The game is at 6:30 CDT.

Southern Miss is coached by Jeff Bower, who was Brett's QB coach for two of his seasons and is one of the longest tenured college head coaches in the nation, 16 years, I believe. Bower is also a former QB at our school.

Brett was an honorary coach at the Southern Miss spring game last spring, and he and Coach Bower stood behind the offense, on the field, chatting and watching. Neither got the opportunity to throw a pass...

Sorry to ramble on, but its late and I'm wide awake.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Warner was cut in 1994 from the Packers.

Damn stupid move I might say! The Packers would have had TWO Superbowls since 1994 instead of just ONE!

LOL Just thought I would give Trom a heart attack.

(Big Ole Smile)

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah Favre washed up. Trade him! Give AR the chance to prove himself!! Blah,blah,blah. 680 yards, 6 TD's, 1 INT in 2 games. He ahsn't done that in years....Keep them guessing Brett. Now...let's get that Vet monkey off our back.
Go Pack go.

Members online

Latest posts