Brett fans have moved on?

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Live by the Favre, die by the Favre. It was like he had two speeds: exhilarating or punch-a-hole-in-something frustrating.

I loved him as a Packer and wanted him to stay at the time, but it didn't take long once he was gone to realize the organization made the right decision. I didn't get truly angry with him though, until he signed with the Vikings. You might say that was the moment a lot of us "moved on".

Well...I didn't LOVE him, that's for sure, didn't even much like him - I thought he was a dumb hick...but everything else you wrote is spot on from my perspective as well. As soon as he retired (I don't think his press conference was even done yet), I was ready to move on.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I really don't get why people still talk about him. it's like they just need to point the finger at someone and get their frustrations out. I live around tons of Favre fans and none of them are still hung up on him or brag about how great he was, no those guys are pulling for their local team and letting the past stay in the past.

T

TheOnlyMeIKnow

Seen this and just shook my head..Was surfing and found this on a site...I just couldnt believe my eyes and how brain washed they are..Wish I could reply to them, but I can't, they wont give me approval to post..

People claim Packer fans cant let it go, but to this day people STILL are brain washed by things that are based ONLY on rumors...

Everything this poster says can be disputed and proved wrong by Andrew Brandt, Al Jones and Brett himself, and the Jets...

So which is it? They harassed him, or they didnt talk to him at all??

Andrew Brantd has put this to bed a few times..This was offered to Brett in Jan of 08 before the Giants game..

So your impression is 100% wrong...In fact Brett went on RECORD with reporter Al Jones and says that is isnt a bribe and was wrongly portrayed in the media as a bribe...

Brett RETIRED...The truth escapes people that only want to believe what they want..

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3898942

But so what released, retired what ever... he told people this was the real deal and it was time to leave..

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3900850

This poster is basing their opinion on Ted and Mike from things that just are not true...

It is a shame that people cant research on their own...If they would, maybe they would see their opinion is based on wrong information

The truth is, anything can be disputed. But the claims made by the poster about Brett being forced to retire at Ted's whim can be proven by merely watching the footage shown by the NBC affiliate in Milwaukee, and I'm willing to bet by ESPN's Rachel Nichols who was there, and probably interviewed Favre off the record sometime around this time. I'm wondering also if this interview with 'Al Jones' might've been Brett taking the high road. I have to say there are sides of this I don't think we'll ever truly know, but I find several facets of the press conference very interesting.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I really don't get why people still talk about him. it's like they just need to point the finger at someone and get their frustrations out. I live around tons of Favre fans and none of them are still hung up on him or brag about how great he was, no those guys are pulling for their local team and letting the past stay in the past.

Because he's part of our history... I was never a 'fan' of Favre unlike a lot of other folks here. I'm not a 'fan' of Aaron Rodgers or Charles Woodson and the list goes on and on... I'm a fan of the Green Bay Packers and Favre was a Green Bay Packer.

I see a lot of fans get all knotted up every time his name is brought up and THAT'S what I don't understand. To me, players are like spark plugs in your car's engine. When they fire correctly... you're a happy camper. When they cease firing properly, you replace them... once they're gone, well...they're gone and you get quite attached the one that is making your car start.

Rocky11

Superbowl bound Pack
Reaction score
I agree. Brett was part of the Green Bay Packers. It's ok to be a Farve or Rodgers fan but the big picture is that they are part of a team.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
The truth is, anything can be disputed. But the claims made by the poster about Brett being forced to retire at Ted's whim can be proven by merely watching the footage shown by the NBC affiliate in Milwaukee, and I'm willing to bet by ESPN's Rachel Nichols who was there, and probably interviewed Favre off the record sometime around this time. I'm wondering also if this interview with 'Al Jones' might've been Brett taking the high road. I have to say there are sides of this I don't think we'll ever truly know, but I find several facets of the press conference very interesting.

What footage?

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
Brandt's article proves that Favre was "livid" after Ted didn't sign Moss and he resigned the day after. I find it hard to believe Favre's retirement was based on being "forced" or anything other than a temper-tantrum on his part.

Darth Garfunkel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, I find it a very interesting matter - the devoution people will commit to an idea. Even in the face of over whelming evidence to the contrary, they have decided to believe something. It is from the angle of human nature that causes me to be fascinated with the Favre saga.

This is the part that I find interesting too. And the fact that we, as fans, put these guys on pedestals and then are outraged when they act like spoiled brats.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've arrived at the conclusion that Favre will simply haunt us forever. This isn't something that is going to go away any time soon and possibly it will extend far past any of our lifetimes. Favre has established a deep history, whether you view it as a positive one or negative one, it is certainly a topic that people feel passionate about. For me personally, he drove in the last nail in the coffin when he signed with the Vikings. I could tolerate all the nonsense that preceded that, including the to retire or not retire as well as the Jets, but the Vikings simply did it for me. I've learned to make my peace with it and "move on" in my own way but the fact of the matter is a lot of fans of both Favre and the Packers have lingering deep feelings on the matter. The one thing I won't tolerate is Favre bashing Aaron Rodgers or the Packers team today. Whatever Favre decides to do, and I hate to say this, but I don't think we've seen the last of him, I think we as Packers fans are going to be dealing with Favre issues in one way or another for some time to come. I don't think he's going to be getting back on the field, it's more likely to be his commentary and possibly him getting in the announcement booth...... And we thought Aikmen was a nightmare.

Rocky11

Superbowl bound Pack
Reaction score
I was upset with the way Brett left. I was a little mad at him and a little mad at TT. I of course did not have any inside information. Now that time has passed I am not mad at either of them. Now that the dust has settled and Brett has been retired for an entire season I honestly wish that Brett and the Packers could get back together and settle their differences. Brett did a lot for the Packers and I believe the Packers did a lot for him. He has a great history and I hope that he will be inducted into the Packer Hall of Fame. He really belongs there. As far as playing for the Vikings I think he really wanted to recapture the feeling he had in Green Bay. At the end he seemed to love the players and the locker room but hated the grind of practice and all that went along with it. Face it, he was getting pretty old to be playing professional football. I hope it all works out in the end. If it don't it's no sweat from me. I am glad the Packers are continuing their winning ways.

Rocky11

Superbowl bound Pack
Reaction score
Thank you. Us fans do tend to forget that football is a business. Johnny Unitas, Joe Montana, Brett Favre, Peyton Manning. I am sure there are may more. We love to win so we should understand that players need to be upgraded. We constantly upgrade our computers and smart phones and don't think anything about it. As a matter of fact I get excited when it is time to upgrade. But as fans we tend to love our hero's and players so when they start to get worn out and traded in for a newer model it kind of hurts. In the long run it is the way it is and it is better for the NFL.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Hi, I'm Croak. I have a serious confession to make...I still have a Favre jersey hanging in the closet. I still have a Favre plaque with an autographed card in storage. I've been off of Favre for 4 years now...but I'm waiting for the day when he makes up with Green Bay...then I'll probably fall off the wagon....

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
There’s nothing wrong with wanting the two sides to reconcile or with forgiving one side or both. But IMO that doesn’t mean we should engage in revisionist history. He pretended to retire from the Jets because as he himself said and AmishMafia noted, he wanted to “stick it to the Packers” and joining the Vikings was the best way to do it. If all he wanted to do was play football for the love of the game, why not stay with the Jets? He also tried to help another team beat the Packers.

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
There’s nothing wrong with wanting the two sides to reconcile or with forgiving one side or both. But IMO that doesn’t mean we should engage in revisionist history. He pretended to retire from the Jets because as he himself said and AmishMafia noted, he wanted to “stick it to the Packers” and joining the Vikings was the best way to do it. If all he wanted to do was play football for the love of the game, why not stay with the Jets? He also tried to help another team beat the Packers.
+1

Rocky11

Superbowl bound Pack
Reaction score
I think the reason he retired from the Jets was because he got the crap beat out of him. I am 56 and when I get hurt now it hurts worse and the healing is slower. If it's not slower it sure seems like it. The Vikings were losers before Brett. If he wanted to stick it to the Packers he probably could have went to the Bears if he pushed it.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
He pretended to retire from the Jets because as he himself said and AmishMafia noted, he wanted to “stick it to the Packers” and joining the Vikings was the best way to do it.

If all he wanted to do was play football for the love of the game, why not stay with the Jets? He also tried to help another team beat the Packers.

He just changed his mind, isnt he allowed to do that?

That is the excuse that is used sometimes

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've arrived at the conclusion that Favre will simply haunt us forever. This isn't something that is going to go away any time soon and possibly it will extend far past any of our lifetimes. Favre has established a deep history, whether you view it as a positive one or negative one, it is certainly a topic that people feel passionate about. For me personally, he drove in the last nail in the coffin when he signed with the Vikings. I could tolerate all the nonsense that preceded that, including the to retire or not retire as well as the Jets, but the Vikings simply did it for me. I've learned to make my peace with it and "move on" in my own way but the fact of the matter is a lot of fans of both Favre and the Packers have lingering deep feelings on the matter. The one thing I won't tolerate is Favre bashing Aaron Rodgers or the Packers team today. Whatever Favre decides to do, and I hate to say this, but I don't think we've seen the last of him, I think we as Packers fans are going to be dealing with Favre issues in one way or another for some time to come. I don't think he's going to be getting back on the field, it's more likely to be his commentary and possibly him getting in the announcement booth...... And we thought Aikmen was a nightmare.
When the time comes that first his number is retired, then he is inducted into the Packers HOF (Neither of which they should do but the Packers is a class organization and feels that they must follow the tradition of acknowledging past great players.) and then the NFL HOF, well, this forum could go quite a bit nuts. It may explode. Literally.
When Aaron Rodgers wins another SB title then that may help take away any lingering bad feelings any of us has towards BrINT.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hi, I'm Croak. I have a serious confession to make...I still have a Favre jersey hanging in the closet. I still have a Favre plaque with an autographed card in storage. I've been off of Favre for 4 years now...but I'm waiting for the day when he makes up with Green Bay...then I'll probably fall off the wagon....
4 years?
How appropriate.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's the off season. What else is there to discuss?
Oh yeah. I'll go ahead and start the 5 thousandth thread on the Packers D.

I just really hope the media is done with their "Is he coming back to play this year?" pre-season stories.
They jump on every little rumor like a bunch of hound dogs over one bone.

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
It's the off season. What else is there to discuss?
Oh yeah. I'll go ahead and start the 5 thousandth thread on the Packers D.

I just really hope the media is done with their "Is he coming back to play this year?" pre-season stories.
They jump on every little rumor like a bunch of hound dogs over one bone.
So, what do you think? Will he come back this season? :roflmao: (some say I'm aggravating)

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He just changed his mind, isnt he allowed to do that?

That is the excuse that is used sometimes
When did he change his mind? When he was with the Packers and he wanted to 'unretire' the 5th and final time, and MM would not take him back, he told TT and MM to cut him so he could play for the Vikings and stick it to them.

He got traded to the Jets with a poison pill so that he couldn't go to the Vikings and stick it to the Packers as he told them he wanted to do.

So he gets cut from the Jets and ends up with the Vikings as he told TT he wanted to do so he could stick it to the Packers.

Now, at what point did he change his mind?

Other than the 6 'i want to retire' things?

And if you think thats not the reaction of a vengeful 5 year old, I don't know what is. Toss in calling the Lions and 1 other team - that we know of - and trying to help them beat the Packers and you can see where Brett's heart was at. What really churns my butter is that he states 'Real Packer fans will understand why I am going to play for the Vikings.' In that statement he defined his super ego - thinking he was greater than the Packers. I think he actually thought that Lambeau would be empty because fans would be at home watching the Vikings play.

I hope he is never in the Packer HOF - let alone having his number retired. Let the Vikings do that, they can have him and his legacy.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, what do you think? Will he come back this season? :roflmao: (some say I'm aggravating)
All he has to do is go down to the local high school, throw the ball around to a bunch of kids and the stories will start.
I have a funny feeling that is what's going to happen.

Members online

Latest posts