Brett admits he was at fault?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I saw that. That right there, is the biggest thing I've been waiting to see from him. As for the Packers being at fault ... well, that depends on how you see it. The Packers were doing just fine and training camp was peaceful, etc. Favre is the one who rudely showed up uninvited and chose to start a circus - not the Packers. So, yeah - that whole retirement package thing and not trading him to the Vikings right away, etc. - the Packers could have gone about all that better. But, bottom line - the whole damn thing was instigated by Favre and no one else. End of story.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I saw that. That right there, is the biggest thing I've been waiting to see from him. As for the Packers being at fault ... well, that depends on how you see it. The Packers were doing just fine and training camp was peaceful, etc. Favre is the one who rudely showed up uninvited and chose to start a circus - not the Packers. So, yeah - that whole retirement package thing and not trading him to the Vikings right away, etc. - the Packers could have gone about all that better. But, bottom line - the whole damn thing was instigated by Favre and no one else. End of story.

When he was coming from Ms to Green Bay his web site and forum asked people to come and show support at the airport.

To me was an attempt to show the Packers look how popular Brett is

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I still don't trust him......he is sneaky.....him somewhat recently talking with jennings and telling him to go to the vikings.....that just don't sit right with me.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
him somewhat recently talking with jennings and telling him to go to the vikings.....that just don't sit right with me.
Back that up please. He told Jennings about the organization - good and bad. Don't embellish

This whole thing is like an 8th grade relationship. Too many people holding onto bitter feelings for no good reason. Everyone has messy breakups. Strong people learn from and get over them eventually. I can't understand why people like the continuous torture. It must be the reality tv side of our society, always needing to perpetuate the drama like some guilty pleasure

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Back that up please. He told Jennings about the organization - good and bad. Don't embellish

This whole thing is like an 8th grade relationship. Too many people holding onto bitter feelings for no good reason. Everyone has messy breakups. Strong people learn from and get over them eventually. I can't understand why people like the continuous torture. It must be the reality tv side of our society, always needing to perpetuate the drama like some guilty pleasure

Perhaps, but whatever. The whole thing divided the fan base deeply, it is what it is. I sure as hell know which side I was on and it sure as hell wasn't Favre's and it never will be. Yes, I get it ... time to "grow up and get over it". This is just sports and being a fan, not life or death. But, I was beyond livid when he hopped on a plane and showed up like that. Everything that happened after he walked off that plane, was all more fuel tossed on the fire. I wasn't having it and I'm still not. Sorry if I come off like a blithering idiot. Frankly, he's the one who is the idiot.

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
I've been one of the most vocal haters of The Messiah around. My contempt for the man over how he left and his actions since are well documented on several Packer boards.

Having said that, I do look forward to a day when we can all move on and put this s**t behind us.

Before he became the prima-donna-with-the-messiah-complex-who-fell-in-love-with-the-sound-of-his-own-name, he was a hero for us all. Yes we hated the boneheaded interceptions and mistakes, but the man was/is a legend. Who else of us can admit the pure joy we felt during the night of December 22nd, 2003, when he played his heart out against the Raiders the day after Big Irv passed away?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

The fact he was our most celebrated hero was the reason his actions in 2008 stung so badly, and was the reason Packer Nation was split down the middle.

Aaron has helped heal that rift and we are, in most ways, once again whole. With one voice we pledge allegiance, to the flag, of the greatest team in America. One Nation, under Vince, indivisible, with victory, and touchdowns for all.

Favre took the step I was waiting for, he publicly admitted he was at fault and was wrong. He also rightly admitted both sides shared some guilt and I agree with that. MM/TT/MM could have handled things a lot better as well.

The rift isn't healed just yet, but this is a step in the right direction IMHO.

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackFanNChiTown - I pretty much see things exactly the way you do. Admitting he was at fault, is a huge step in moving forward. Regardless, I'd rather see an apology to MM/TT/MM/AR. As for the Packers handling it better ... they started none of this crap. Absolutely none of it. They were going about their own merry business halfway through camp and then this self-absorbed moron decided to make an appearance. Um, no. Get out. The team was put in a precarious, ridiculous position, none of which was their fault. So, handling it better? I suppose, but they instigated none of it.

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
PackFanNChiTown - I pretty much see things exactly the way you do. Admitting he was at fault, is a huge step in moving forward. Regardless, I'd rather see an apology to MM/TT/MM/AR. As for the Packers handling it better ... they started none of this crap. Absolutely none of it. They were going about their own merry business halfway through camp and then this self-absorbed moron decided to make an appearance. Um, no. Get out. The team was put in a precarious, ridiculous position, none of which was their fault. So, handling it better? I suppose, but they instigated none of it.
I agree with you in regard to instigation.

Read Andrew Brandt's articles on the topic, he was an eyewitness to the whole thing and wrote about it. The one thing he said was true, the Packers could have handled things better by having more open and honest discussions. IMHO retreating behind the timeline story and hiring Ari Fleischer (really? you hired a guy from Bush's staff?) were all unnecessary steps.

H

HardRightEdge

The OP excluded half the quote:

"It’s over and done with. I was at fault…I feel that both sides had a part in it. If you could go back, would I or them have done things differently? I’m sure both sides would. But you can’t."

This is not an apology, not when one catches himself and points the finger at the other guy.

Brett...you were chronically late for work and got fired. Just like anybody else would be.

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is not an apology. In an apology, you don't speak for the side that you slighted. You speak for yourself. Not good enough Bert.

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still think he's an idiot. No, Brett - both sides did not have a part in it. YOU chose to retire in March and based on YOUR decision to retire, the team names Rodgers the starter and everything was just fine until YOU changed your mind and brought Barnum & Bailey's circus with you to Green Bay. There's no grey area here, it's all in plain black and white to see.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

"It’s over and done with. I was at fault…I feel that both sides had a part in it. If you could go back, would I or them have done things differently? I’m sure both sides would. But you can’t."

Maybe it was calculated?

People tend to just read what is here and not go to the links...We have a policy here to not post entire articles..So I only posted the most important tid bit ;)

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Not going to lie but I wouldn't want the Packers to have done anything differently Brett, you're probably the only one who would want to change everything about the year 2008 between the breakup and the whole Jen Sterger scandal (I'm assuming the text happened that year but I am not 100% sure about this). Don't put any of this on the Packers organization YOU were the one at total fault here.

It is nice to see him start to come around though, albeit a very backhanded statement.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Any apology worth considering contains the phrase “I am sorry” without qualification and is directed towards a person or group of people.

Again, just for the record, in addition to publicly announcing his retirement he changed his mind about a month later, the Packers agreed to his return and then he changed his mind again. At that point the organization moved on permanently.

The fault of the Packers organization? Here it is IMO: They treated him as a responsible adult capable of making decisions and sticking to them. In hindsight they should have treated him as someone with the maturity – emotional and otherwise - of a six-year old.

M

mayo44

I agree with you in regard to instigation.

Read Andrew Brandt's articles on the topic, he was an eyewitness to the whole thing and wrote about it. The one thing he said was true, the Packers could have handled things better by having more open and honest discussions. IMHO retreating behind the timeline story and hiring Ari Fleischer (really? you hired a guy from Bush's staff?) were all unnecessary steps.

This is not a political discussion. Keep your politics out of it please.

M

mayo44

This is not an apology, not when one catches himself and points the finger at the other guy.

That's not finger-pointing; it's the truth. Are you doubting that the Packers would likely have done some things differently? Because Mark Murphy has said they could have done some things differently. He's merely echoing what Murph has said. He admitted he was at fault, which is something he denied 2 years ago. He should not be expected to say he was 100% at fault, when the Packers admittedly could have handled things better as well. You can only hate someone for so long before you begin to rot yourself from the inside out.

Reaction score
The packers organization is not at fault. They went down to his house a couple times after they heard he was reconsidering and they tried to get Brett back for one more year. He said he was retired and he was done playing. After those couple of meetings, the Packers said they were moving on Rodgers as it was heading into OTAs and Minicamps. This was the time Brett Favre said he was officially coming back. The packers said if he did return he would be on the bench and this frustrated him and created animosity between the two. He thought he could skip OTAs, Minicamps, and Training Camp by a result of being "retired" then come back and expect to play and start.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Around the country, Packer fans are generally thought of as reasonable, friendly folks. So I hate all the nasty sentiment that gets exposed by this topic.

Favre seems to be moving in the right direction by acknowledging his mistakes. Not sure what people expect. He's not going to drop to his knees, accept full responsibility for the falling out, and beg Packer fans for their forgiveness. And I think anyone holding out for such an act of contrition should re-examine his or her priorities.

Green Bay won a Super Bowl. Favre tarnished his legacy. Move on.

A while back, Rodgers said it's time to let the healing process begin. IMO, that's a nice way of saying, "Get a ****ing life" to anyone hellbent on nursing this grudge.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guess the next time they bring back the 96 team mark chmura won't take the brunt of the boos.... He should appreciate that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts