Bret Retire NOW

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was also a joke about you being family....

Favre has not been all that spectacular in the playoffs. He has had a few great plays and games but has also had some horrible games...comes with the territory.

If I thought there was a 50/50 chance that Rodgers would be as good as Favre or not much of a drop than I might be inclined to see what he has.

Problem is, no matter what his physical skills, he doesn't have the instincts for the audibles that Favre does. It is favre's mental abilities that make his so important now. Especially with such a young team. Trust me, let Favre run the team next year, and maybe even the one after that, and Rodgers will walk into a REALLY, REALLY sweet gig.

Defense92

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Getting back on topic, let's look at another example from the past. By Staubach's own admission, the dropped pass by Jackie Smith in the endzone in Super Bowl XIII against the Steelers, was thrown too low. Staubach was at the end of his career and was old. Don't forget, he started at 27 due to his Navy committment.

He could have retired. Some may have felt he should. However, he played one more year. In this season, he led the Cowboys to the playoffs, including one of the greatest comebacks of all time, a 35-34 season finale against the Redskins. The Cowboys overcame a 17 point deficit with 21 unanswered points twice in the game, including two touchdowns in the final three minutes to win with seconds left.

I am sure there were naysayers after the Super Bowl loss, but Staubach clearly was still able to perform well.

Favre is the same way. He is old, but he is still able to perform. There are naysayers, but they will be silenced next year.

Green_Bay_Packers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre is the same way. He is old, but he is still able to perform

Thats why i have faith if he comes back , Starpass you dont know anything i have been thinking since last night but he is a great QB and whatever Starpass you think he can still perform which is why he should stay.

Look at Romo he chocked this year, so did Favre

Defense92

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The worst part about this thread is the context. I disagree with the thread's starter. I don't think Favre needs to retire. But, it goes even beyond that. He didn't write something to the effect of "Brett, you were one of the greatest, but this proves it's time to give Rodgers or someone else a chance." Instead, he wrote, "Bret(t) retire NOW" as the topic with the post saying only, "nuff said."

This is disrespectful and has no tact. Favre was one of the greatest and has done so much for the Packers he deserves appreciation, instead of the poster's trashing disrespect.

JoshTheChild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People will want my head for this, but I think favre would of been thought of as a better QB had he retired alot earlier. I mean John Elway knew when to retire so unfortunately he will be remembered as a better QB than brett favre

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Cal2GreenBay..

First.. backpeddling from the comments, fine, use it was a joke, no problem.

Second... I have no issue with supporting another player at all. I personally have no issue with Favre sitting and Rodgers playing if he gives us the best chance to win. If Favre retires tomorrow, I will be backing Rodgers to the Ninth.

If Rodgers proves to the coaches that he is the best QB and Favre sits on the sidelines, I will be fine with that. I will cheer him on just as I have Favre, or Majic man, or ****ey or Wright, or Whitehurst, or Cambell.. on and on.. life goes on.

But to continually beg for injury or retirement when the man has proven he can still play, is Biased as Hell.

I want the Packers to win.. end of story.. until Rodgers gives us a better chance.. Brett it is.

On the angry part.. it is hard to tell context on a forum, so it is best either to clearly mark said joke or avoid it all together. I let it go already..

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
People will want my head for this, but I think favre would of been thought of as a better QB had he retired alot earlier. I mean John Elway knew when to retire so unfortunately he will be remembered as a better QB than brett favre

That is fair enough, but whom won those games towards Elways last couple of years.. Elway himself? He lost alot in the playoff..

Elway had a complete team around him when he finally won those two.. TD and the line won those Superbowl just as much as Elway did, IMO.

But the who is better is debateable as is most debate of such ilk.. Elway would be a choice, IMO.

JoshTheChild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ya I think Elway was better overall, even though he did blow playoff games AT HOME remember the 97 playoff loss to jacksonville? it happens to the best of them. but even so I still think Elway was better

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tripp.. I am NOT related to Rodgers. Clear the air here.
Unless he has some multi-ethnic blood in his family..we're probably
only related by our CAL affiliation.

Pack93z..I'm not backing out of any comment. I said it and it was a joke.
Nice try to word as though I was cowering out of something. Not in the least.

Begging for retirement for Favre? Hardly.
Again..Satire! To help you guys out..I wlll tag everything "JOKE" or "SATIRE" for you okay? That should move things along

It's the issue of others who get their ******* in a bunch and take things so literally. It's a FREAKIN ONLINE FORUM.

You guys are the ones who REALLY need to let it go...

I'll sum up. Favre better than Rodgers.. Ramah! (as I thump my chest and hold my drumstick). [JOKE]

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Elway was 38 when he retired. And he was pretty immobile his last two years (like most of his years actually). however what made him play well was his knowledge ofthe game. And that is such a critical part of the QB position.

Rodgers will have his day. Just not today :)

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cal2GreenBay..

First.. backpeddling from the comments, fine, use it was a joke, no problem.

Second... I have no issue with supporting another player at all. I personally have no issue with Favre sitting and Rodgers playing if he gives us the best chance to win. If Favre retires tomorrow, I will be backing Rodgers to the Ninth.

If Rodgers proves to the coaches that he is the best QB and Favre sits on the sidelines, I will be fine with that. I will cheer him on just as I have Favre, or Majic man, or ****ey or Wright, or Whitehurst, or Cambell.. on and on.. life goes on.

But to continually beg for injury or retirement when the man has proven he can still play, is Biased as Hell.

I want the Packers to win.. end of story.. until Rodgers gives us a better chance.. Brett it is.

On the angry part.. it is hard to tell context on a forum, so it is best either to clearly mark said joke or avoid it all together. I let it go already..
I agree......i didn't see anywhere where he made it obvious that his bashing of the "Bikini girls" or Wisconsin women in general was supposed to be a "joke". If you TYPE "I'm just kidding!" then people know you are just trying to make a joke. No one can SEE you when you type, and have to take your words at face value, unless you make a REAL effort to let them know you are kidding. I sure didn't see that in the post. Personnaly, i don't care what anyone else thinks of our ladys here. I like them! You can have your fake skinny underfed young boy like women that i see in every magazine and on TV. I don't care for them.
And......our team only GOT to the championship game because of Favre. He carried the team when we had NO running game. No part of the team played well Sunday. Not the offense, defense, or special teams.
I STILL can't believe how many so called "fans" want to push Favre out the door. For what? A may be decent, or may be disaster QB? Yeah....Rodgers did OK in the Dallas game. But did he lead us to a victory? Nope. If he had, then maybe i'd say give him a shot.
I'm not a "Favre Lover", i'm a PACKER lover. And i still see Favre as our best bet to win games. So as long as he shows he's still able to win games for us, I say let him be our leader.
Yeah......I know......we didn't win the game last weekend. So yeah, toss Favre aside for someone that might win us 3 games mext season. Yeah,.......makes perfect sense to me. :roll:

JoshTheChild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
rodgers did do great in that dallas game, but he did not really have pressure. we were down by alot so he played more loose. would of been more interesting had he started though. But like I said, he will be a good qb for us I think

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So yeah, toss Favre aside for someone that might win us 3 games mext season. Yeah,.......makes perfect sense to me. :roll:

3-10 next season but won't be like that the 2nd year.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
So yeah, toss Favre aside for someone that might win us 3 games mext season. Yeah,.......makes perfect sense to me. :roll:

Thats true,.....it could be 2-14.
I just don't understand it.........throw away Favre because we lost the title game. Yeah.....makes sense. Put in a guy that may or may not be any good. What do we have to go on with Rodgers? A couple of mop up games.
Like i have said before.........if great QB's are so easy to come by, whay have just the teams in our own division (not counting the whole NFL) had dozens of QB's go through their teams in the last 17 years? Fact is, we have been blessed to have one of the best all time QB's leading our team, and i think alot of youngin's don't realize how spoiled they have been to have that all these years.
How old are you by the way? How long have you been a Packer fan?
The answers to those questions might tell us alot.
Rodgers MIGHT be good, or he MIGHT be another Cade McNown, Todd Marinovich, Andre Ware.......heck, i could probably write for hours the "can't miss" qb's that DID miss.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cal2GreenBay said:
cheesey said:

I just don't understand it.........throw away Favre because we lost the title game. Yeah.....makes sense. Put in a guy that may or may not be any good. What do we have to go on with Rodgers? A couple of mop up games.
Like i have said before.........if great QB's are so easy to come by, whay have just the teams in our own division (not counting the whole NFL) had dozens of QB's go through their teams in the last 17 years? Fact is, we have been blessed to have one of the best all time QB's leading our team, and i think alot of youngin's don't realize how spoiled they have been to have that all these years.
Rodgers MIGHT be good, or he MIGHT be another Cade McNown, Todd Marinovich, Andre Ware.......heck, i could probably write for hours the "can't miss" qb's that DID miss.

No one wants Favre thrown under a bus. IF he's the best player..he plays yes.

As a "packer" fan, I would like to see the long term health of the franchise.

That's the bigger question that people who have your argument don't tackle.

Does Favre represent the long terms goals of the franchise?
when all the receivers, line, and most of the defense are all around the same age?

I never said Aaron was a can't miss. But how and when do we find out?
When Packer QB past/present doesnt allow the future?

JoshTheChild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
be funny if favre went to the texans since the packers give the texans their trash anyway lol. OOPS no disrespect to favre that was a joke about him, but it is true that the pack give the scrubs to the texans. like ahman green and sam kon gado lmao

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ya I think Elway was better overall, even though he did blow playoff games AT HOME remember the 97 playoff loss to jacksonville? it happens to the best of them. but even so I still think Elway was better

Elway was immobile as hell, and had Terell Davis tearing up the league and a great defense.

Favre is playing much better than Elway was at the end of his career....

And how can Favre be hurting his legacy when he's breaking all the records in the books held by Dan Marino?

It was a TEAM LOSS...

Get over it!

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
Cal2GreenBay said:
cheesey said:

when all the receivers, line, and most of the defense are all around the same age?

So you mortgage the present for an uncertain future just to satisfy your curiosity when you know that the commodity that you have currently is a proven winner?

Man...I would hate to see your portfolio....

Makes no business sense at all....

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cal2GreenBay said:
cheesey said:
Cal2GreenBay said:
cheesey said:

So you mortgage the present for an uncertain future just to satisfy your curiosity when you know that the commodity that you have currently is a proven winner?

Man...I would hate to see your portfolio....

Makes no business sense at all....

It wasn't a conclusion here fuzz. I was posing the question.
WHEN do we make the change and how does it happen?

I'm a BANK VP..be happy to show you my portfolio =)

Members online

Latest posts