Brees signs 6 year deal with the Saints

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I think there is still a chance that the Saints will take a QB with there pick, Brees is a risky FA with his shoulder, why not take ML and let him develop under Brees and is also an insurance pick. Brooks has some trade value in this market to go into next season with 2 potential starting caliber QB's. Depends on how the 6 yr deal is structured?

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack93z said:
I think there is still a chance that the Saints will take a QB with there pick, Brees is a risky FA with his shoulder, why not take ML and let him develop under Brees and is also an insurance pick. Brooks has some trade value in this market to go into next season with 2 potential starting caliber QB's. Depends on how the 6 yr deal is structured?

Don't think Brees would have signed if they were going to develop someone under him, like Rivers.

Toronto_Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack93z said:

They might draft a QB as insurance, but not with the first pick. Maybe somebody like D.J. Shockley later on in the draft.

Pack93z

Reaction score
Brees didn't get the contract offer that he was from the Fins and signed with the Saints because there isn't big money floating around for his services. Brees signs in essence a one or two year deal, with the huge roster bonus structured into to either make him very rich or cut because of a cap hit, then hits the open market again without an injury and cash in again. I don't think he wanted to be in NO, why would he sign such a long deal?

Pack93z

Reaction score
Brees agrees to six-year deal with SaintsBy John Clayton
ESPN.com

Early in his career, there were questions about Drew Brees having a slow release.

Drew Brees
Quarterback
San Diego Chargers

2005 SEASON STATISTICS
Att Comp Yds TD Int Rat
500 323 3353 24 15 89.2

That wasn't the case Tuesday when he pulled the trigger on a six-year, $60 million deal with the New Orleans Saints that included a $10 million signing bonus.

Brees' decision came within seconds of the Dolphins dropping out of the bidding when they traded a second-round choice for Daunte Culpepper. All along, the Saints had more money and more guarantees on the table for Brees and wanted to use his name as the marquee for ticket sales, sales that have been hot because of the Saints' return to New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina.

Even though the Saints will be looking at Matt Leinart in the draft, they have Brees as their starting quarterback. That puts the Saints in the position to possible trade down from the No. 2 spot and take defensive end Mario Williams or simply take the North Carolina State defensive end.

Members online

Latest posts