Breakthrough Teams 2015?

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on next season's breakthrough team's?

I think the Vikings have the potential to give the NFC north a run for their money if Teddy Bridgewater is not figured out by the second half of the season. I also think the Buffalo Bills will give the AFC East a competitive run, especially if they sign a big name RB or CB to compliment Gilmore on the opposite side.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could certainly see the Vikings making a jump next season. Especially if they manage to get DeVante Parker at WR in the draft; not going to take much time for Bridgewater and Parker to get on the same page...

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raiders and Bills. The Vikings do not impress me and AD is going to be a major trainwreck distraction once he returns.

The Raiders have been building a beast of a defense. The Bills will get a 1 year spike from Rex before he burns the house down and the team completely flames out.

H

HardRightEdge

The Bills are just a QB away from being a legit threat in the AFC.
That's all they needed last season and all they'll need next season. That's a big get.

Ryan stated the Bills will run the ball and be the "bullies." In keeping with his word, they signed Incognito. The obvious irony aside, their guard play needed upgrading and Incognito should provide it.

It sounds like Ryan wants to run the ball 35-40 times per game and try to get to the AFC Championship on the back of the defense the way the Jets got there with Sanchez. He brought most of his Jets coaching staff with him to put a finer point on it.

However, Ryan reports directly to the new owner who has no football experience whatsoever and has run the Sabres deep into the cellar. Those two together could be a toxic mix. DC Whaley is an outstanding personnel man; I fully expect Ryan to get in his way.

I don't think I can understate my dislike of Ryan as a head coach, and fear Bills fans' renewed hope will be dashed upon the rocks of bluster, arrogance and controversy. Ryan should be doing what he does best: running somebody's defense. He couldn't possibly mess up arguably the best D in the league, could he?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think its safe to bet on the teams with QBs. ATL and SF seem likely to rebound. NYC possibly

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Bradford can ever stay healthy and St Louis improves their o line watch out for the Rams. The already have a championship caliber defense.

King of Jeans

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I think San Fran will keep trending downwards. I think Kaepernick is showing his true colours, and that defense is not what it once was. Plus their coaching situation is so f****d

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to mention that the 9ers receiving corps is a pretty much series of question marks. Bunch of underachievers and old timers. Rams and Texans would be downright scary with proper/healthy quarterbacks. Let's hope they don't find those!

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The rise of the Raiders is starting. I look for them to be a very fiesty and physical team. They have put together a nice coaching staff...their defense is going to be hell on wheels....they have a young QB who looks extremely promising......I bet they draft Amari Cooper to give Carr another weapon.

Raiders could be a playoff team in two years and then a Super Bowl team in year 3 of Del Rio's tenure as long as they draft well.

Reaction score
I'll go Cleveland and St. Louis will be in the ascent. Honorable mention to Vikes
I also think several other teams sliding in their respective divisions will allow them opportunity to increase.

Guacamole

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll go Cleveland and St. Louis will be in the ascent. Honorable mention to Vikes
I also think several other teams sliding in their respective divisions will allow them opportunity to increase.
Cleveland? Seriously? There is no stability with that organization. The Rams will be better, as long as Bradford stays healthy. I'm hoping for one the teams in the AFC East to dethrone the Patriots.

Last edited:

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think its safe to bet on the teams with QBs. ATL and SF seem likely to rebound. NYC possibly
I'm not so sure about SF. Rodney Harrison said it best: "Colin K is a great weapon but not a great QB. ". Atlanta and NO will be in the mix because they have great QBs, and weapons in Jones and Graham respectively. I expect Oakland to be at .500 or above, which would be a breakout year for them. Whatever happened to EJ Emanuel (sp?) in Buffalo? They need a solid QB to take advantage of Watkins' skills.

gemoran4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Bradford can ever stay healthy and St Louis improves their o line watch out for the Rams. The already have a championship caliber defense.

Unfortunately Bradford staying healthy is a mighty big if, and that's assuming they can agree on a restructured contract and the Rams don't just move on from him.

H

HardRightEdge

I'm not so sure about SF. Rodney Harrison said it best: "Colin K is a great weapon but not a great QB. ". Atlanta and NO will be in the mix because they have great QBs, and weapons in Jones and Graham respectively. I expect Oakland to be at .500 or above, which would be a breakout year for them. Whatever happened to EJ Emanuel (sp?) in Buffalo? They need a solid QB to take advantage of Watkins' skills.
With Orton retiring, Manual is at the top of the Bills depth chart...for now. His chief sin was not finishing drives, making a lot of bad decisions and throws in the short field.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Manuel was given up on for Orton way too fast. He played less than a full season's worth of games.

Not saying he'll be good, but I wouldn't rule him out quite yet.

H

HardRightEdge

Rodney Harrison said it best: "Colin K is a great weapon but not a great QB."
What he's not is a great pro style pocket passer. The new brain trust in SF seems to be acknowledging that, talking about playing to strengths and going gaga over his 90 yd. OT run against San Diego. I would expect them to turn back the clock a year or two in running more option and roll outs. Kaepernick is simply a dangerous player on the move and pedestrian (pun intended) standing still.

The 49er's are getting old in some key spots (Gore, Davis, Bolden, Smith), they're up against the cap, and they have some significant free agents (Crabtree, Iupati, and three contributing CBs).

If they can convince Smith not to retire and the All-Pro linebackers come back from injury they might win 10 games leaning on the defense.

In general, though, they missed their window, they're on the wrong side of the cap and age equations and they play in the toughest division. I wouldn't be surprised if they squeaked into the playoffs nor would I be surprised if they didn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

Manuel was given up on for Orton way too fast. He played less than a full season's worth of games.

Not saying he'll be good, but I wouldn't rule him out quite yet.
No, I would not write him off either.

Jeff Tuel is the only other QB they have under contract; he's on a futures deal. He's pretty bad.

The Bills traded their 2015 first rounder in the Watkins deal; the obvious top 2 and Hundley will be off the board. The guys at the Senior Bowl were uniformly bad. The QB classes seem to get thinner by the year.

Then we have this awe inspiring list of free agents (note Uncle Rico in the list of also rans):

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000469624/article/examining-the-freeagent-class-at-quarterback

I expect the Bills to pick up one of those free agents to compete with Manual for the starting job. Manual + Tuel + a project rookie would just not add up. Since the Bills have been a run and play defense team, and Ryan vows to do the same, the Bills should be looking at stats and tape for a guy with any kind of knack in the red zone. That's a tough get.

D

Deleted member 6794

No, I would not write him off either.

Jeff Tuel is the only other QB they have under contract; he's on a futures deal. He's pretty bad.

The Bills traded their 2015 first rounder in the Watkins deal; the obvious top 2 and Hundley will be off the board. The guys at the Senior Bowl were uniformly bad. The QB classes seem to get thinner by the year.

Then we have this awe inspiring list of free agents (note Uncle Rico in the list of also rans):

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000469624/article/examining-the-freeagent-class-at-quarterback

I expect the Bills to pick up one of those free agents to compete with Manual for the starting job. Manual + Tuel + a project rookie would just not add up. Since the Bills have been a run and play defense team, and Ryan vows to do the same, the Bills should be looking at stats and tape for a guy with any kind of knack in the red zone. That's a tough get.

I think that Mark Sanchez to the Bills makes a lot sense, reuniting him with Rex. I know that it didn't end well with the Jets but at least he didn't mess up a great defense carrying them to two AFC championship games in his first two seasons with the team.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Bills are just a QB away from being a legit threat in the AFC.

True, but the same applies to the Texans, Browns, Chiefs, and Bengals. Put Rodgers on any of these 5 and they're a contender to come out of the AFC.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts