1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Breaking Packers Hire Former Panthers DC

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by wizard 87, Jan 23, 2009.

1. wizard 87

wizard 87 Old Enough To Know Better

Ratings:
    +11
  2. The Wok

The Wok Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5
    Hmmm. New D Coordinator who is running a 3-4. New D Line coach, who has spent the last seven years as Carolina's D Coordinator. Julius Peppers, who has also spent the last seven years in Carolina, is a free agent and has expressed interest in playing in a 3-4 defense (as opposed to Carolina's 4-3.)

:D

3. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    This has been the best Offseason since 93 with Reggie White, and it's just beginning!! Everyday there's good news!

4. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +848
    Peppers would be an interesting pickup. I'm curious if he could play the OLB position and cover a zone or a TE in man coverage. It would be a pretty good pass rush with him and Kampan coming from the outside.

I like the signing because the Panthers' defensive line has been a top unit for four or five years now. Hopefully he rubs off :) on the players.

5. D-townPacker

D-townPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I just don't see the Pack getting Peppers. He didn't seem to see eye to eye with Trgovac at Carolina, although the scheme may have been part of it. Still, bad blood is bad blood. The Pack will have Kampman as one of the OLB's and I see them going after Suggs as the other bookend.

6. Aa-rodg_is_cool

Aa-rodg_is_cool Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I agree I really don't see us gettin anyone through free agency this off season.. TT may try like he did with Jason Taylor but I don't think he'd be willing to give up a 1st rounder that a Peppers or Suggs would be worth.. and I think I'm fine with that.. We already have alot of tools here already and with the draft comin up we should have a solid D.. Pickin up a Peppers or Suggs would be nice but I don't think we have to 2 have a solid D this coming season

7. GJ85

GJ85 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I dom't see us getting peppers, we will get the de from texas to put on the other side of kampman

8. CM_Awesome

CM_Awesome Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5
    Yeah I agree I really don't see us gettin anyone through free agency this off season.. TT may try like he did with Jason Taylor but I don't think he'd be willing to give up a 1st rounder that a Peppers or Suggs would be worth.. and I think I'm fine with that.. We already have alot of tools here already and with the draft comin up we should have a solid D.. Pickin up a Peppers or Suggs would be nice but I don't think we have to 2 have a solid D this coming season[/quote:1zotp9zh]

Why would we have to give up a draft pick for Peppers or Suggs? Arent they both UFA's?

9. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,480
    Yeah I agree I really don't see us gettin anyone through free agency this off season.. TT may try like he did with Jason Taylor but I don't think he'd be willing to give up a 1st rounder that a Peppers or Suggs would be worth.. and I think I'm fine with that.. We already have alot of tools here already and with the draft comin up we should have a solid D.. Pickin up a Peppers or Suggs would be nice but I don't think we have to 2 have a solid D this coming season[/quote:12hd9g0m]

Why would we have to give up a draft pick for Peppers or Suggs? Arent they both UFA's?[/quote:12hd9g0m]

Unless he is thinking the Panthers tag one of them

10. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    Considering they tag both of them ( I believe they will with Peppers, but it's hard to tag Suggs with Ray Lewis and Bart Scott also being FAs ), how much are they worth? 2nd round pick? more?

And on other subject, with Capers, Trgovac and possibly Edwards, do we have the best defensive coaching staff in the league? Players do all the work, but elite coaches make an average team great.

11. Claws

Claws Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Great news. Very happy about the new coach signing.

12. TheStone

TheStone Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +10
    Yes, Julius Peppers seems to be unhappy in Carolina. Yes, he expressed interest in playing
    3-4. Actually he said that "the 3-4 would comfort his talent much better" and that "he doesn't
    want to waste more time playing in a system that doesn't fit for him."
    (Don't force me to get the source for you!! I think, it was on espn.com?!?)

Two questions:
    1. Doesn' that sound a bit "ME-FIRST"????
    2. How is his relationship with his former DC??? Does it draw him to Green Bay or repell him
    to the - #fill in ugly team - for me it's the Cowgirls#

13. Dulak

Dulak Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I would much rather have suggs over peppers ...

Peppers will probably cost us much more then suggs and IMO suggs would provide much more in terms of sacks and playability as a OLB.