Breaking News on Packers Draft Strategy

packers04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gil Brandt, an NFL guru, head of the personnell dept for the cowboys for many years, and a guy who is definitely "in the know" and who talks with Ted Thompson, along with tons of other GM's and Personnel guys weekly, just had an interview with Dan Papa and Randy Cross on Sirius NFL Radio: The Opening Drive

Here is the scoop. In this half hour interview, mind you the packers were not even mentioned at all. they talked almost exclusively about this years draft and past drafts for the NFL but did not even reference the green bay packers at all. But when the interview was about to conclude and they were about to say their goodbyes/thank yous, Gil Brandt basically told them, in so many words, that Ted Thompson is looking into trading down in the first round and a deal sounds like it might already be in place. My pick was Darrelle Revis at 16, but Gil Brandt wouldnt just randomly throw this out there if it wasnt going to happen. It was really soo random and out of the blue that he HAS to know SOMETHING because the information was just so unexpected and unprovoked by the hosts or any other previous discussion. my new prediction for the first round is we trade down a few spots and pick up a Dwayne Bowe, or revis, lynch, nelson, etc.
BTW we'll see how right Gil Brandt is in 5 Days time!

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've predicted a trade down to get Revis for a long time now

I think we're going to make a trade with the Chiefs.

OP
OP
P

packers04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
in all honesty, I believe TT knows if he wants revis he HAS to stay at 16. i think TT has an eye on him but thinks he'll be gone by pick 16. i have revis going to pittsburgh at 15. if he falls to 16, i think TT picks him without any amount of hesitation. i just hope Jarvis moss goes to pittsburgh :)
if hes trading down with the chiefs it's to get someone like Dwayne Bowe, Lynch, Meachem, or Nelson.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I absolutely think he will trade down. Here's why: Randy Moss.

TT will conclude the Moss deal this week, perhaps draft day. They will have to send a third rounder and a player to Oakland for RM.

Ted will recoup the third rounder by trading down.

I think Brandt's info is essentially correct in another aspect: Lynch. Buffalo has lost linebackers, but they've been playing cat and mouse about Lynch. They're eyeing him to replace Willis McG. You can get a good LB in lower rounds.

Here's TT's thinking: running back--can get one later who is capable of splitting time with Morency. Kenny Irons or Michael Bush comes to mind or the kid from Arizona.

Wide receiver: Donald Driver, Jennings, Ferguson, Martin, Holliday, Bodiford. The draft is very deep at receiver and he could still get a deep threat in the second round. Ferguson might be part of the Moss deal.

I also think Ted might surprise all of us and draft someone out of the "need" position, like corner, safety or linebacker. A stud corner is not out of the question, nor a safety. Walker is signed for one year and Manuel is el stinko mundo.

The concept that Lynch is a cinch to Green Bay should be dispelled because in some ways the Packers can find a runner close in ability at far less money. Also, one space case in Moss is enough. I've been reading up on Lynch's "home boys" in Oakland and I don't think we want to import trouble.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the thoughts Net but I still have a hard time seeing a team trade down for our pick.

In a situation like this it has to turn out a win/win and I just don't see other teams figuring out how they can pull off trading up for our pick and coming out a winner.

After the first ten guys or so the next 20 are rated so close together I see no NEED by another team to trade for our pick.

For those that want someone to trade us for our pick you better hope that a team has found their man and he is still there at #16 and that team wants him bad enough.

It boils down to one question. Who is going to be sitting there at #16 that a team is willing to give up their 2nd or, if we're only swapping a few places,a 3rd rd pick for?

Just being real. I don't see it happening.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read on ESPN Insider that they were looking to trade down. It was reported on like Thursday or so. Not really big news. However I will say this is the week of lies. Anything you hear take with a grain of salt because all teams will lie.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really like the idea of Larry Johnson - or anything that would have to do with him being a Packer. I noticed a previous poster predicted a trade with the Chiefs. LJ in GB has a nice ring to it. I noticed KC has been fishing his name around as well.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also saw this in regards to the predicted trade of picks with the Chiefs next week. The Chiefs are shopping safety Greg Wesley as well. Very interesting I think - purely because of the previous prediction by Oregon.

I think we will trade down several times - included my prior prediction in acquiring the 1st pick in the 3rd round.

Anyway, a little on Wesley.

Position Safety
Height 6-2
Weight 206
Years Experience 8
Birthdate 3/19/1978
Hometown England, AR
College Arkansas-Pine Bluff
Current status Active
Games Started 102
Games Played 103

Pro Career
Bone-rattling performer entering his seventh season with the Chiefs in 2006 … Made the move to free safety a year ago, starting all 16 contests at that position … Is expected to serve in that role for Kansas City once again … Prior to last season, had worked as the club’s starting strong safety the past five campaigns … Consistent performer has started all but one game he’s appeared in for Kansas City after entering the NFL as an unheralded third-round draft pick in 2000 … Devastating hitter set a career high with four forced fumbles in 2004 … Is rapidly moving up the club’s career interception chart, picking off 26 passes during his tenure with the club … Is currently tied for ninth on the franchise’s all-time interception list with Hall of Fame LB Bobby Bell and needs just two more INTs to bypass another Hall of Famer, LB Willie Lanier (27) for eighth position … Seeking to become just the eighth player in franchise history to pick off opposing passers 30 times or more … Owns a pair of three-INT games, including such an effort against Patriots QB Tom Brady that proved pivotal in a 26-16 win vs. New England (11/27/05) ... Has racked up 22 of his interceptions over the past four seasons … Knows what to do once he gets the ball in his hands, averaging 19.3 yards per INT return over his career … Possesses the talent to become the latest in a long litany of Kansas City safeties to earn All-Star acclaim should he continue to elevate his level of play … Pairs with Pro Bowl S Sammy Knight to form a solid starting safety tandem … Excellent tackler topped the 100-tackle plateau in three of his first four NFL campaigns … Already ranks 10th in franchise history with 600 career stops and would bypass S Lloyd Burruss (628) for eighth on the all-time chart with just 29 more stops … Has quickly made a name for himself across the league with his aggressive style of play … Frequently provides an “up-close and personal” introduction to receivers who tread across his turf in the Chiefs secondary … A punishing performer who is regarded as one of the league’s most vicious hitters

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to dispute your thinking Net, but I can't believe TT would give up a treasured pick + a player for Moss with his $9.5mil/$10.5mil contract when all he has to do is wait for the Raiders to cut him. The Raiders don't have enough cap room to pay him this year. Why would TT bail out Al Davis? I wouldn't do it for Moss or anyone else.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really like the idea of Larry Johnson - or anything that would have to do with him being a Packer. I noticed a previous poster predicted a trade with the Chiefs. LJ in GB has a nice ring to it. I noticed KC has been fishing his name around as well.

I like LJ too. Plus, he comes from a cool family.

However, LJ took about 800 rushes in the past two years. That has me worried about long term durability. not taking anything away from him specifically, but even the toughest of the tough (Earl Campbell immediately comes to mind) cannot take a pounding like that forever.

Maybe the Packers would be the best thing for LJ, because it will be like taking a vacation compared to what he's used to.

robkeg

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have seem some previous threads concerning a Chief but, it was Donte Hall who people were talking about. If true about Hall I would like to see us go get him rather than LJ.

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wish I'd heard the interview... ah well.

But, you can't believe a thing you read about the draft this week. There's more smoke and mirrors out there than in one of Michael Irvin's house parties.

Personally, I'd like to see a trade down. About 10 spots or so. Draft S Michael Griffin and pick up an extra third (maybe even a late second). We can't trade down too far if we're targetting Revis. He'll be gone by 20...

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
what kind of cap hit will the Raiders take if they cut Moss?

By cutting Moss the Raiders will actually recover about $15 mill over the next two years. I read where they will lose about $1.5 mil and save about $7.5 by cutting him this year and close to that next year.

To reiterate on Retiredgrandpa's theory this same article said Oaklands best position would come from cutting him. They are certainly low on funds and unless they trade the #1 pick that alone is going to cost them dearly.

Members online

Latest posts