Breaking Down Current "Imperfections"

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tom Silverstein put together a very good piece disecting some of the shortfalls of this 6-0 team. It is interesting to hear the coaches opinions on some of the weaknesses we as fans have been making note of through 6 games this season. The one GIANT glaring weakness we have right now that drives me up a wall week after week is how inept our special teams have been and how the guy in charge of making them better keeps his job after years of being in the proverbial "cellar" in just about all important ST categories.

This was posted at the bottom of his article and should give some statistical foundations for any discussions

FAR FROM PERFECT

The Packers are the NFL's only undefeated team, but to say they're doing everything right would be an overstatement. Here are areas in which they definitely could improve (NFL rank in parentheses):

OFFENSE
Rushing yards per game 98.5 (24)
Rushing yards per attempt 3.8 (27)
SPECIAL TEAMS
Punt return average 5.5 (29)
Net punting average 30.4 (31)
Opp. punt return average 21.3 (31)
Opp. average drive start 21.7(17)
DEFENSE
Yards allowed per play 6.1 (26)
Pass yards allowed/ game 299.7 (30)
Pass yards allowed/ play 8.0 (23)
Yards allowed, first down 6.4 (26)
Passes 20 yards+ allowed 28 (31)
Passing TDs allowed 10 (T23)

Here is a link to the rest of his article :
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/undefeated-packers-have-imperfections-to-fix-132028948.html

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
If not for the first two weeks of the season wouldn't your defensive stats be a lot better? You still got picks off Cam Newton though. I read a funny article saying teams who beat the Panthers should make shirts for after the game that say "I survived Cam Newton."

Hey, at least the run has not killed ya. Thats often the worst to me, seeing teams just milk the clock.....and your D being unable to stop it.

I know your special teams were pretty bad last year (at the bottom with the Colts/Chargers I think) but this year I thought they were better?

Helmets

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tough to have rushing yards when you're passing the ball. Do you want to run or do you want to pass.
In addition, when you have the early lead, it forces teams to pass more, so those statistics and rankings will be affected.

Record 6-0. (1)

Rank in parenthesis...

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
6-0, nothing to complain about.

They can find things to say we are not the best team going by ranks, but look at the record, and that's all that matters is the big W on 6 straight games.

Members online

Latest posts