1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Brandt's parting words on the Green Bay Packers

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by bigfog, Feb 14, 2008.

1. bigfog

bigfog Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Picked this up from Railbird

Being in Fargo, I didn't really get a chance to hear this interview first hand, but if this is an accurate transcript, I like the sounds of it. It gets rid of the loafer players who collect a bonus and do nothing and creates a great culture - accountability.

Very nice to hear.

2. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
  3. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Great post.

We are blessed to have MM & TT. I like that ethic.

4. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I didn't know we got rid of 'signing bonuses.' That's neat. Incentives is where it's at. Do good, you get paid, baby!

5. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +652
    anybody know how these incentives affect the cap? i would think that they would still have to be selective about how the incentives are handled, to maintain a healthy salary cap. It seems unorthodox (probably why nobody else does it) and risky (high risk = high reward) to set up your teams overall salary without a working understanding of how it will shape up as the season and the ensuing seasons play themselves out, vis a vi, how many players meet the incentives, and if "too many" of them reach the incentives, if salary cap hell will follow

granted, i have no real understanding of how it works and am not criticizing the shift in the way our team does business. on the contrary, it seems to be working brilliantly. But what a gamble to get the ball rolling on this in the first place!

6. Pack93z

Ratings:
    +22
    I think the biggest gamble to this thought process is that free agents might not be as willing to skip the signing bonus inleu of workout and roster bonuses.. maybe that plays a little into some of the FA turning a cold shoulder to Green Bay the past couple of year, don't know.

Or maybe these FA just don't likey the snow, lol. Heard more on the way.

7. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +652
    what does this mean? What did you hear?

8. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Well...if they don't want to "earn" their money, let them go elsewhere. Thats how i feel at least. Maybe thats why "Part Time" Moss didn't want to come here. Maybe he heard he would have to EARN his money, and play full time.

9. Pack93z

Ratings:
    +22

Da Snow Bozz.. Da Snow. :lol:

10. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +652
    indeed. we only got a few inches last night. the cold is coming tomorrow. high of -1. i wish it would warm up already. i really don't mind the cold, but i'm sick of my wife complaining about it!

11. Toronto_Cheesehead

Toronto_Cheesehead Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    To my understanding, there are two types of incentives. Likely to be earned (LTBE) and not likely to be earned (NLTBE).

So say Driver has an incentive in his contract saying he gets an extra 500k if he gets 1000 yards receiving. That would count as a LTBE incentive since he surpassed that total last season, and it would be applied to next years cap number. However, he may not get 1000 yards receiving next year, even though the cap is charging the Packers for the bonus. In that case, the league would allow you to go 500k over the cap the next season to make up for being overcharged this year.

NLTBE incentives are something that a player did not accomplish in the previous season. For instance, Jennings may have had a bonus in his contract giving him money for recording 10 touchdowns. So that bonus would be applied to next years cap, but in future years it would be treated as a LTBE, assuming he maintains his current levels of production.

LTBE incentives are actually a neat loophole that can exposed by teams (i.e. Philadelphia's used it in the past). With young players you can put in a bunch of special team bonuses. If it's a 5 year deal and in the 3rd year that player develops into a starter then he probably won't reach his special team quotas anymore, and the LTBE incentive won't be met that year and a cap credit would occur the following season.

I'm sure it gets more invovled than that, but I think it's a pretty accurate overview for most fans who just want the basic knowledge on how incentives work.

12. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Good assessment Toronto_Cheesehead, I was also thinking it had something to do with LTBE.

Great post bigfog, and props to "Frottis" for typing that out.

I also read somewhere a while back that the Packers give the players their weekly checks on a specific day with the intention being that it will motivate the players to work/play harder.

It's a good system though, reward players that work hard and give them incentive (short term $$$, leading to long term improvement) to spend time working out.

13. Greg C.

Greg C. Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the great info, bigfog. It all makes sense. The downside to reading this is that it means the info is out there for the rest of the league to read about as well.

14. bigfog

bigfog Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I can see how this policy could deter some free agents, but my belief is that it only scares away the player who's looking for the big payday and then loaf around. I love the idea of putting an emphasis on incentives and goals rather than the Packers just handing over a big sack of money.

15. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Pretty much. This system would deter older veterans looking for one last big cash-in, but will draw in younger and confident players who want to win.

16. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +652
    It's just like "The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair! exact same thing!

17. DoddPower

DoddPower Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!

Ratings:
    +54
    The only negative I really see for the players is not as much guaranteed money in case of injury early on in the contract. I can see this being very attractive for FA's and stuff for security reasons.

However, I definitely see how it keeps a team hungry though. Nice!

18. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +652
    no system is perfect. pros and cons. seems like what it does is attracts and keeps around the guys who have that certain mentality that MM and TT like.

19. DoddPower

Ratings:
    +54
    Yeah, it definitely seems to appeal to the young guys more. But I mean, think about it. If you're a big time FA, and you have 7 teams interested in you, with 5-6 of them in big cities offering you a big contract with a huge signing bonus, and then Green Bay offering you money that you have to earn. Even if you've got the best work ethic ever and will not slack off at all, wouldn't it make a little more business sense for yourself to take the contract that was loaded up front? Kind of like, go ahead and get the money out of the way, then I can just focus on football.

I'm not saying it's a bad system by any means, but I can definitely understand why it wouldn't be appealing to FA's from a business perspective.

20. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +652
    Green Bay offered Wood a front loaded contract. i think our system offers the flexibility to do that, because of the fiscal responsibility towards the salary cap. i don't see GB's approach as either/or, but rather both/and. Young players are driven to succeed and old dudes (like Wood) are given the luxury of front loaded contract... which is better than the backloaded contracts that have been the norm as of late. look at all the big names who have become cap casualties in the last week; it's like a slaughterhouse.

21. DoddPower

Ratings:
    +54
    Yeah, I guess I see what you're saying. So, the incentive laden contracts are mainly for younger guys, and the more proven folk get front loaded contracts?

22. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +652