Brandt, Packers should have it a bit easier

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Posted: Jan. 16, 2007

Andrew Brandt has had chaotic free-agency experiences in recent years.
79798Packers/NFL
Free Agents
With free agency fast approaching, the following package of stories takes a look at Green Bay's most important free agents:
Ahman Green
David Martin
Cullen Jenkins
Rob Davis

Braun: Coaching move gives Packers more stability

Brandt, the Green Bay Packers vice president of player finance, got safety Darren Sharper and kicker Ryan Longwell signed back in 2001 - even while a new deal was being worked out for quarterback Brett Favre. Brandt and the camp for left tackle Chad Clifton got a deal done at the 11th hour in 2004.

In 2005, the Packers decided to cut guard Mike Wahle and Sharper, lost guard Marco Rivera and eventually signed tight end Bubba Franks. Then last season, defensive end Aaron Kampman was Brandt's primary concern among a group of 14 unrestricted free agents.

Things should be a lot more peaceful for Brandt and the Packers in 2007.

Green Bay has nine unrestricted free agents. Of that group, though, only running back Ahman Green was a starter in 2006.

The Packers would like Green back, but might not be willing to sign the 30-year old back to more than a two-year deal. The Packers figure to let the rest of the group test the market before making their pitch.

Starting defensive end Cullen Jenkins is Green Bay's lone restricted free agent. The Packers would like to sign Jenkins to a long-term deal. But even if that doesn't happen by the start of free agency on March 2, Green Bay can place a tender offer on Jenkins that allows it to match any offer he gets or else receive compensation.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andrew is part of the mix to sign deals and work with free agents? WOW I always thought Ted was the only one involved?

** end of sarcastic post**

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
lol

Ted brings in the FA, could say 'no more than 4 million a year' and Brandt could start at 2 million a year an inch up to make it **** enough to sign the guy and then Ted gets a summary of the contract and denies it or okays it.

Thats how I assume it goes down

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
lol

Ted brings in the FA, could say 'no more than 4 million a year' and Brandt could start at 2 million a year an inch up to make it **** enough to sign the guy and then Ted gets a summary of the contract and denies it or okays it.

Thats how I assume it goes down
'
Thats what i think happens as well...

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Andrew Brandt has shown a lot of creativity in the past trying to fit every contract under the cap.

Last year the Wells and Kampmann contracts showed some great creativity. Ted can if he is a cheapskate can let Jenkins set the market for himself and then match the offer. Brandt and he are better than that.

It is easier this year but if he keeps doing well the benefits will be reaped in years to come.

Members online

Latest posts