Brandon Graham

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
I don't see why everyone is trying to get another OLB cause we lost kampman, we lost kampman during the preseason he was not good in the 3-4, it was SO obvious that he didn't want to be here. Brad Jones stepped in and played decent. Our problem is we have 3 dt's playing on the line and no DE's, While Jolly/picket, Raji, and Jenkins our main 4 dline guys are all really DT's Jenkins being the only one who has better than average quality Pass rushing skills. We need a big guy to play on the line everydown and rush the passer, while not being a liability against the run like kampman would have been as a 3-4 DE. Not someone who can't cover and try to turn him into a OLB that makes no sense to take that risk. Especially with our first pick, but TT usually BLOWS his 1st round choice hard anyways so we'll see.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see why everyone is trying to get another OLB cause we lost kampman, we lost kampman during the preseason he was not good in the 3-4, it was SO obvious that he didn't want to be here. Brad Jones stepped in and played decent. Our problem is we have 3 dt's playing on the line and no DE's, While Jolly/picket, Raji, and Jenkins our main 4 dline guys are all really DT's Jenkins being the only one who has better than average quality Pass rushing skills. We need a big guy to play on the line everydown and rush the passer, while not being a liability against the run like kampman would have been as a 3-4 DE. Not someone who can't cover and try to turn him into a OLB that makes no sense to take that risk. Especially with our first pick, but TT usually BLOWS his 1st round choice hard anyways so we'll see.

Yup I agree, one of the main problems that I saw last season is that our front 3 couldn't get a pass rush AT ALL. I understand that OLB's in the 3-4 are crucial to providing a pass rush like James Harrison and Demarcus Ware, however there are going to be instances where you need these OLB's to cover and your front 3 to rush the passer all by itself. Every successful 3-4 team has at least 1 DL in their front 3 that can generate that pass rush without extra help from an OLB:

Cowboys: Jay Ratliff
Steelers: Aaron Smith
Cardinal: Darnell Dockett
Ravens: Haloti Ngata/Trevor Pryce
Former Patriots: Richard Seymour
Jets: Shawn Ellis
Packers: ???

Cullen Jenkins could definitely be that lone rusher but he faded towards the end of the season. Jolly is too slow, he's better as a run stopper and gap pusher for OLB's. The jury is still out on Raji and Jarius Wynn has potential but I don't see him starting anytime soon. This is why I won't rule out Jared Odrick as being our first pick. He can certainly be that DL we need provide our missing 3 man pass rush.

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yup I agree, one of the main problems that I saw last season is that our front 3 couldn't get a pass rush AT ALL. I understand that OLB's in the 3-4 are crucial to providing a pass rush like James Harrison and Demarcus Ware, however there are going to be instances where you need these OLB's to cover and your front 3 to rush the passer all by itself. Every successful 3-4 team has at least 1 DL in their front 3 that can generate that pass rush without extra help from an OLB:

Cowboys: Jay Ratliff
Steelers: Aaron Smith
Cardinal: Darnell Dockett
Ravens: Haloti Ngata/Trevor Pryce
Former Patriots: Richard Seymour
Jets: Shawn Ellis
Packers: ???

Cullen Jenkins could definitely be that lone rusher but he faded towards the end of the season. Jolly is too slow, he's better as a run stopper and gap pusher for OLB's. The jury is still out on Raji and Jarius Wynn has potential but I don't see him starting anytime soon. This is why I won't rule out Jared Odrick as being our first pick. He can certainly be that DL we need provide our missing 3 man pass rush.
I've said so before, and agree with you. The problem wasn't that the outside pass rush wasn't getting to Warner. Warner was delivering the ball in less than 5 seconds.

The problem was that the pocket was never collapsed... Not once. That's the interior's job.

But like NYPacker said, we have more alternatives there, and we're expecting more production from young players in there.

Raji, Wynn, Harrell, all are expected to create this kind of pressure.

Not to mention that Jenkins faded down the stretch because he was the DL that most played. Not getting rotation from Raji being hurt early, not getting rotation from Pickett hurt late, it eventually caught up to him.

I think DL is a bigger priority than OLB and secondary, but we can improve from within in that department.

At OLB, counting that Jones improves, we only got him and CM3. Thompson is soft, and Poppinga is terrible.

We need someone in there to at least be a rotational guy, and at tops be the stud opposite CM3, if Jones doesn't pan out with a season under his belt and some more bulk.

---

As for Odrick, I wouldn't rule him out, not because we need someone in the DL. But because Jenkins is a 2011 FA, and may act like Kampman, thinking he's a better fit at the 4-3...

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've said so before, and agree with you. The problem wasn't that the outside pass rush wasn't getting to Warner. Warner was delivering the ball in less than 5 seconds.

The problem was that the pocket was never collapsed... Not once. That's the interior's job.

But like NYPacker said, we have more alternatives there, and we're expecting more production from young players in there.

Raji, Wynn, Harrell, all are expected to create this kind of pressure.

Not to mention that Jenkins faded down the stretch because he was the DL that most played. Not getting rotation from Raji being hurt early, not getting rotation from Pickett hurt late, it eventually caught up to him.

I think DL is a bigger priority than OLB and secondary, but we can improve from within in that department.

At OLB, counting that Jones improves, we only got him and CM3. Thompson is soft, and Poppinga is terrible.

We need someone in there to at least be a rotational guy, and at tops be the stud opposite CM3, if Jones doesn't pan out with a season under his belt and some more bulk.

---

As for Odrick, I wouldn't rule him out, not because we need someone in the DL. But because Jenkins is a 2011 FA, and may act like Kampman, thinking he's a better fit at the 4-3...

Sorry for the mixup and thanks for the correction, Aaron Schoebel plays for the bills but Aaron Smith from the Steelers is who I was referring to. Exactly as you put it, I never once saw Arizona's DL fall apart whenever we rushed Warner. A more apparant (but apalling) example would be that 7 seconds we gave Favre in the pocket in the first game against Minnesota. We definitely need some help in the 3 man-pass rush category.

I would like for Wynn to really step up next season. He's a wild card of mine for the most improved packer rookie. However on his scouting report from Georgia I read that pass rush was never his real strength. He lacks burst and the instincts to reall side-swipe NFL caliber tackles. He's better as an interior run stopper and 3-4 blocker who gives OLB's blitzing lanes.

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry for the mixup and thanks for the correction, Aaron Schoebel plays for the bills but Aaron Smith from the Steelers is who I was referring to. Exactly as you put it, I never once saw Arizona's DL fall apart whenever we rushed Warner. A more apparant (but apalling) example would be that 7 seconds we gave Favre in the pocket in the first game against Minnesota. We definitely need some help in the 3 man-pass rush category.

I would like for Wynn to really step up next season. He's a wild card of mine for the most improved packer rookie. However on his scouting report from Georgia I read that pass rush was never his real strength. He lacks burst and the instincts to reall side-swipe NFL caliber tackles. He's better as an interior run stopper and 3-4 blocker who gives OLB's blitzing lanes.
Hmn... I've read different.

He was a one year wonder (actually, a late season wonder) 4-3 DE that, indeed, lacked the burst to be a DE, but had the ability to collapse the pocket, but needed some time in the weight room, to develop strenght.

olwig420

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't like that we would have to take a rookie train him to play a different position and then expect him to play well right away. If we draft for OLB in the first round I think we should draft an OLB not a DE. I might take this gamble on a later pick but still not expect a ton their first year.

Members online

Latest posts