Brandon Graham

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brandon Graham - DE - Michigan
(projected as an OLB in the 3-4)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQfcytu6ItI]YouTube - DE Brandon Graham Highlights 2009 Michigan[/ame]

CBSSports scouting:

Pass rush: Relentless rusher able to pressure the quarterback lining up on the strong or weak side. Lines up at five-technique in some passing situations. Uses his strength, balance and lack of height to get under shoulder pads of tackle. Strong, violent hands to beat his man straight-out or disengage. Lacks a consistent counter move. Has an inside spin move but rarely shows it. Despite his stout build, Graham drops into zone coverage easily and shows some fluidity in space. Backpedal is slow, as expected, but he will still get a shot as a linebacker for a 3-4 team. Lines up wide so he can turn the corner against slower tackles, will struggle to do so against NFL tackles.

Run defense: Can punch the tackle to disengage or maintain the angle to force the action inside when run plays are coming his way. Occasionally gets skinny to penetrate on inside runs. Stays home to contain, watch for bootlegs and stop reverses. Must be more consistent using his hands to defeat cut blocks, although he can still make the tackle after a cut as he recovers fairly well. Has a good motor, works hard to get down the line on runs away from him. Lacks elite speed to chase down NFL backs consistently.

Explosion: Good first step off the ball and pounds his man's jersey on contact when in pure pass-rush mode. Has some pop off the snap when looking for the run, and is able to stand his ground against much bigger linemen. Brings full effort from the first quarter to the fourth, and smells weakness in his opponent. Closes quickly and explodes into the quarterback on a sack.

Strength: Capable of using his lack of height to his advantage, maintaining leverage to hold his ground on the edge. Stacks the tight end and disrupts plays when one-on-one. Can be engulfed by bigger tackles, losing sight of the ball.

Tackling: Above-average arm length allows him to disengage and wrap on running plays to his side, as well as chase down ballcarriers from behind. Does not meet his feet going through trash, making it hard for him to make the tackle when crashing down inside. Stays square and low in space, breaking down to tackle the ballcarrier.

Intangibles: Stepped up his role as a senior from leading by example and becoming a vocal leader who encourages and gets after teammates. Missed two games in 2008 with leg infection. Charged with disorderly conduct in July 2008 for playing music too loud, and failed to show up for trial. Charges were eventually dismissed, and a bench warrant was terminated.

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wouldn't mind if the Packers got Graham too with the 23rd pick. Only real knocks on him are his short arms and is a little small for a OLB. He's shown he can be a real force time in and time out.

From Brandon Graham Scouting Report - 2010 NFL Draft Prospect
Brandon Graham is currently the best pass rusher in the Big Ten, and one of the top four or five pass rushers in all of college football. In 46 career games, he has accumulated 56 tackles for loss and 29.5 sacks. Graham's biggest question mark (as far as his draft status is concerned), is what positions he'll be able to play in the NFL. At 6'2 and 263 pounds he has good size for a 4-3 defensive end, but there are questions about whether or not he will be able to effectively drop into coverage if he plays as a 3-4 outside linebacker. If he is seen as a potential fit at either position, he'll increase his draft stock tremendously. Regardless of what position scouts see him at, he is a consensus late first round or early second round prospect. His best fit may be as a defensive end for a team that runs a version of the cover 2 defense. He isn't the biggest end, but he plays the run extremely well for his size. He does a great job of turning ball carriers back inside and right into his linebackers. Couple that with his quick first step and wide array of pass rushing maneuvers, and he is similar in a lot of ways to Robert Mathis of the Indianapolis Colts.

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think height or arms are as important for OLB as they are for DE, as the OLB tend to go against TE, RB and OT that are off balance...

My only concern with him is his lack of knowledge of the 3-4 OLB position... I have no doubt in my mind that this kid can be a great pass rusher in the pros, and that he can play the run very well (has a little bit problem identifying the play sometimes, but nothing major...). He tackles very well.

This is one guy that doesn't have great measurables, but the productions is just too overwhelming. I really like this kind of prospects, the ones who really have to work their butts off to suceed, but have the natural propensity to play football...

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm just saying those are the knocks on him coming from scouts. I don't think it's that important either that he's a little smaller then you're average Linebacker and have shorter then normal arms. I've heard he does have experience being an OLB at Michigan. He wasn't just a DE full-time at Michigan. He switched around at those 2 positions for awhile from my understanding.

I've heard he has a great work ethic and is one of those guys that will work on anything that is wrong with his NFL abilities. Wouldn't shock me if TT drafted him, if he fell to us.

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just a report from another source, always good to have multiple perspectives on a prospect.

From Brandon Graham | Michigan Scouting Report - 2010 NFL Draft Prospect
Official Bio

Height: 6-2 | Weight: 263 | 40-Time: 4.75

Strengths:
Good bulk --- Aggressive with a non-stop motor --- Very strong and powerful --- Tough and physical --- Does a great job in pursuit --- Good tackler --- Plays with excellent leverage --- Holds his own versus the run --- Uses his hands well --- Has a lot of range --- Smart with great instincts --- Hard worker --- Offers some versatility --- Super productive.

Weaknesses:
Doesn't have the ideal height you look for --- Short arms --- Frame may be maxed out --- Not a great athlete --- Average speed, quickness and agility --- Not real explosive --- Lacks a burst --- Struggles in space --- A tad inconsistent --- Might have to change positions --- Upside is limited.

Notes:
A 2½ year starter for the Wolverines --- Named 2nd Team All-Big Ten in 2008 and 1st Team in 2009 --- Voted Michigan's Bo Schembechler Most Valuable Player as a junior and senior --- Led the nation in tackles for a loss in 2009 --- Classic 'tweener who may have to move to linebacker or perhaps even defensive tackle at the next level --- May not have all the physical tools you'd prefer but just a good football player --- Could slip a bit on Draft Day if teams get too concerned with triangle numbers and workout results --- Eerily similar in many ways to LaMarr Woodley.

David Pynnonen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that this pick would make sense if he could play decent coverage. We need better LB coverage. The middle of the field, underneath routes seem to open up quite a bit. Thats the main reason hawk hasn't been an every down backer. We dont want to draft a guy in the first round that can't cover early doucet, like hawk

David Pynnonen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
good point, i wonder if he's big enough to play a little bit of DE for a few situational plays to change up the defensive front and the look

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
good point, i wonder if he's big enough to play a little bit of DE for a few situational plays to change up the defensive front and the look
He dominated one of the OLs better prospects in Bulaga.

I think the problem with him, more than if he can cover, is if he can play in space. If he won't lose a step playing with his hands up.

He has done a bit of standing, but not much, as CM3 pratically only played standing up.

Of course, CM3 only played one season for USC, so he didn't exactly had experience in that.

But as TT said earlier this year, CM3 PROVED he could play in space.

(What do you look for in a 3-4 outside linebacker?)
I know I sound repetitive, but I look for good players. There are probably ideal heights and lengths and stuff like that in terms of a body makeup that you look for, but it doesn't necessarily translate into the best 3-4 outside linebacker. James Harrison of Pittsburgh does not fit those height/length requirements, but he's a marvelous player. He was the Defensive Player of the Year two years ago. So you probably trend toward that. In a 3-4 in the scouting business, there is more projecting of pass rushers to those 3-4 outside linebacker positions. It's a very difficult thing to do because if a guy has never stood up and played before, just because he can run fast or do drills, it doesn't necessarily mean he can stand on his feet and play the game, but it does work out sometimes. As much as we can, we try to stick with guys that have proven that they can play the game. Clay Matthews last year is a perfect example. There were times where he put his hand down on the ground and rushed the passer, but a large majority of the time he was standing up and playing linebacker.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But Hawk's MAIN obligation is to cover, or play the run.

The OLB's main obligation is to rush the passer...
Grahm would be ok ...but all the people that want to get rid of Hawk..........would probably change their mind if he was gone.

superquest

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about Michigan's Graham?

I just heard on ESPN that if still on the board at #23 don't be surprised if the Pack take the DE/LB Graham from Michigan.I love this pick I mean we lost Kampman and we need defense.Everyone is talking OL men we got Clifton back probably Tauscher too.The whole line played pretty well the 2nd half of the season.We ended up in the top 5 in offense.It's the defense that didn't show up in the playoffs.Clifton or Tauscher were 1st rounders.We can get OL men in rounds 4-7.They won't start anyway so let em learn what the NFL is all about.I like the DE/LB Graham first then in the 2nd you go the CB Franks from Oklahoma and in the 3rd the safety Rolle from FSU.Then onto O lineman.

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's already a thread about him, and as I've said over there, I think he's the best 3-4 OLB in the draft, and I'd love to get him.

But he's kind of a projection, since he played with his hands down most of the time...

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just heard on ESPN that if still on the board at #23 don't be surprised if the Pack take the DE/LB Graham from Michigan.I love this pick I mean we lost Kampman and we need defense.Everyone is talking OL men we got Clifton back probably Tauscher too.The whole line played pretty well the 2nd half of the season.We ended up in the top 5 in offense.It's the defense that didn't show up in the playoffs.Clifton or Tauscher were 1st rounders.We can get OL men in rounds 4-7.They won't start anyway so let em learn what the NFL is all about.I like the DE/LB Graham first then in the 2nd you go the CB Franks from Oklahoma and in the 3rd the safety Rolle from FSU.Then onto O lineman.

Clifton was a second rounder and Tauscher was drafted in the seventh. They excelled as nfl caliber lineman because of proper coaching. I'm not a firm believer in Campen's system so I might sound a bit biased. Another thing, it took Clifton and Tauscher at least 3-4 seasons before getting up to par as "elite" status. Whereas first round lineman such as Thomas, Long, Oher have all contributed with only a few games of experience.

superquest

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now you guys are talking this is the guy we need with our 1st pick not no O lineman. He is the perfect replacement for Kampman you replace a pass rusher with a pass rusher.They also said Dwight Freeney was undersized and had short arms and he's working out just fine.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now you guys are talking this is the guy we need with our 1st pick not no O lineman. He is the perfect replacement for Kampman you replace a pass rusher with a pass rusher.They also said Dwight Freeney was undersized and had short arms and he's working out just fine.

Except that Dwight Freeney plays DE not OLB which is the question that we're imposing on Brandon Graham. Can he adequately transition from playing in a 3 point stance to a 2 point?

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Incorrect.

I've made a thread about this.

I think we OUGHT TO take an OL in the first round, despite not thinking it's our biggest need.

The reason I say that is because we'll have nothing at LT in 2011, nothing, it usually takes a year to develop an elite LT, which is vital to our offense, and because the difference level between the 1st round prospects and the rest is astonishing, while in other positions we can find great quality later on.

I do say that I'd not be disappointed with us getting Brandon Graham.

But the pick should be OT.

David Pynnonen

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Kampman is a great pass rusher..but in a 4-3. he didnt adjust very good to the 3-4. after his injury brad jones came in and seemed like he was developing fairly good. I like graham but i think we have other areas that are bigger concerns. Like our O-line, even if we find a way to keep tausher, were an old line with NO depth whatsoever. I dont want to see Barbre in the game. Does anyone??

superquest

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kampman is a great pass rusher..but in a 4-3. he didnt adjust very good to the 3-4. after his injury brad jones came in and seemed like he was developing fairly good. I like graham but i think we have other areas that are bigger concerns. Like our O-line, even if we find a way to keep tausher, were an old line with NO depth whatsoever. I dont want to see Barbre in the game. Does anyone??

The defense is what lost the playoff game when it counted most so you have to start by fixing the defense the offense was not a problem.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defense is what lost the playoff game when it counted most so you have to start by fixing the defense the offense was not a problem.

Very true. But the offense is going to be a problem if you don't address it as well.

David Pynnonen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah i agree with both of you. Our defense played really well for being in the first year of the switch to the 3-4. We just had a few games like the steelers game and the playoff game where it was almost non-existent. I dont think TT can draft the wrong position unless he goes with a WR, TE, DT, or MLB

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The offense was not a problem? What were the first and the last plays of the game? Those plays had nothing to do with the defense. Didn't Rogers get sacked 5 times? Didn't Ryan Grant run for about 65 yards or so? Sounds like their were some problems on offense to me. Sure the defense had a rough time. But when you spot a team 17 points........its not going to be easy. Can't blame it all on the defense. Look below at 4 good reasons we lost the game. None of these are the fault of the Defense.

(14:56) 12-A.Rodgers pass short right intended for 86-D.Lee INTERCEPTED by 29-D.Rodgers-Cromartie

(10:14) 12-A.Rodgers pass short left to 80-D.Driver to GB 31 for 1 yard (58-K.Dansby). FUMBLES (58-K.Dansby), RECOVERED by ARZ-78-A.Branch at GB 22. 78-A.Branch to GB 22 for no gain (85-G.Jennings).

12:58) 2-M.Crosby 54 yard field goal is No Good, Wide Right, Center-61-B.Goode, Holder-7-J.Kapinos.

13:50) (Shotgun) 12-A.Rodgers sacked at GB 17 for -7 yards (27-M.Adams). FUMBLES (27-M.Adams) [27-M.Adams], RECOVERED by ARZ-58-K.Dansby at GB 17. 58-K.Dansby for 17 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

superquest

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The offense was not a problem? What were the first and the last plays of the game? Those plays had nothing to do with the defense. Didn't Rogers get sacked 5 times? Didn't Ryan Grant run for about 65 yards or so? Sounds like their were some problems on offense to me. Sure the defense had a rough time. But when you spot a team 17 points........its not going to be easy. Can't blame it all on the defense. Look below at 4 good reasons we lost the game. None of these are the fault of the Defense.

(14:56) 12-A.Rodgers pass short right intended for 86-D.Lee INTERCEPTED by 29-D.Rodgers-Cromartie

(10:14) 12-A.Rodgers pass short left to 80-D.Driver to GB 31 for 1 yard (58-K.Dansby). FUMBLES (58-K.Dansby), RECOVERED by ARZ-78-A.Branch at GB 22. 78-A.Branch to GB 22 for no gain (85-G.Jennings).

12:58) 2-M.Crosby 54 yard field goal is No Good, Wide Right, Center-61-B.Goode, Holder-7-J.Kapinos.

13:50) (Shotgun) 12-A.Rodgers sacked at GB 17 for -7 yards (27-M.Adams). FUMBLES (27-M.Adams) [27-M.Adams], RECOVERED by ARZ-58-K.Dansby at GB 17. 58-K.Dansby for 17 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

Take a poll on here on who lost that game hands down the defense.

Members online

Latest posts