Brandon Chubb - ILB - Wake Forest

H

HardRightEdge

No new age ILB here. This is old school...he'll stand up a runner in the hole and still has the speed to get sideline to sideline. His Pro Day weight was 235 lbs., and he ran a 4.58 while still doing 23 lifts. I'd wager this guy has been climbing. Comes from a football family. No Ragland? This is a guy you could work with for 2 down duty to start, maybe more. Makes me think of a quicker Desmond Bishop.

For the umpteenth time, this is another college ILB who was not asked to cover except in short zones. No wonder the NFL wants fast tight ends.

There were 20 teams at the Wake Forest pro day. I don't know if the Packers attended.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

No new age ILB here. This is old school...he'll stand up a runner in the hole and still has the speed to get sideline to sideline. His Pro Day weight was 235 lbs., and he ran a 4.58 while still doing 23 lifts. I'd wager this guy has been climbing. Comes from a football family. No Ragland? This is a guy you could work with for 2 down duty to start, maybe more. Makes me think of a quicker Desmond Bishop.

According to Gil Brandt Chubb ran a 4.68 on both of his 40-yard dashes.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ays-held-last-week-featured-notable-prospects

He might be an interesting player to sign in undrafted free agency but for sure not a week 1 starter.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

According to Gil Brandt Chubb ran a 4.68 on both of his 40-yard dashes.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ays-held-last-week-featured-notable-prospects

He might be an interesting player to sign in undrafted free agency but for sure not a week 1 starter.
If you google "Brandon Chubb Pro Day", you'll see a link to "Brandon Chubb LB Wake Forest Pro Day -2016 - YouTube", currently the 3rd. link from the top. If you look at the subscript below the link, his Pro Day numbers are listed. Note it says "4.58". So, who made the typo?

Whether it's 4.58 or 4.68, that's a good time for a guy you'd project as a 2-down Sam starting out. Further, Brandt notes his 6.88 3-cone, not something you'd expect from a typical line jammer. These are better metrics than several of the small new age guys who are not going to be as potent standing up runners in the hole.

I have little doubt this guy will be drafted by somebody.

As for him being a day one starter, consider the current roster. If Barrington can't go, there isn't a Sam backer among them. While I wouldn't expect him to jump ahead of a healthy Barrington, if he walked on the field tomorrow he'd be an immediate upgrade over the guy we put on the field week 1 last season.

Beside his cousin being a college player, his father played at Georgia and was drafted, though I don't believe he ever made a roster.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

As for him being a day one starter, consider the current roster. If Barrington can't go, there isn't a Sam backer among them. While I wouldn't expect him to jump ahead of a healthy Barrington, if he walked on the field tomorrow he'd be an immediate upgrade over the guy we put on the field week 1 last season.

If Chubb ends up being the Packers only selection at inside linebacker there´s a possibility he would start in week 1. That would tell a whole lot more about the lack of talent at the position though.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

If Chubb ends up being the Packers only selection at inside linebacker there´s a possibility he would start in week 1. That would tell a whole lot more about the lack of talent at the position though.
It also speaks to the questionable ILB talent in this draft beyond the top rated player. I would not expect Chubb to be the only ILB drafted, in any case. I see him as a possibility depending on how the picks fall out.

Even if Ragland is on the board, I'm hardly convinced Thompson would choose him. He's never liked to spend draft capital on ILBs, and it seems to take years for an evolution of approach to take hold as was the case at RB and S. At least ILB is well past the date for a reconsideration of thinking.

But as with Ragland, even if Thompson has his eye on this guy, a team playing 4-3 might well step in front of him.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He looks great. Seems to diagnosis the plays and gets into the back field/line of scrimmage instead of waiting for linemen to come to him. Even does a little covering. Had over 15+ tackles vs UL- Monroe. Not sure if this was a film session or a highlight tape... Dont really like hightlights.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He would be a welcome addition to the ilb room and could easily compete for a starting job as no one currently on the roster has proven to be a plus player at the position with the exception of Clay Matthews.

D

Deleted member 6794

He would be a welcome addition to the ilb room and could easily compete for a starting job as no one currently on the roster has proven to be a plus player at the position with the exception of Clay Matthews.

Matthews was an improvement over every other inside linebacker on the Packers roster over the last two seasons but he´s far from being a good player at the position.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

He looks great. Seems to diagnosis the plays and gets into the back field/line of scrimmage instead of waiting for linemen to come to him. Even does a little covering. Had over 15+ tackles vs UL- Monroe. Not sure if this was a film session or a highlight tape... Dont really like hightlights.
I agree about highlight tapes...you get to see what a guy does well but not what he does poorly. In this case, I believe they are showing every snap where he was around the ball. There is a missed tackle toward the end of the tape.

The guy shows consistently good instincts in the run game, packs a pretty good punch, and has the quickness to go sideline-to-sideline and to clean up between the tackles from the backside. The 4.68 time (if that's accurate) is about on par with Barrington, but he's quicker as indicated by the 6.85 3-cone.

Like so many college ILBs, even the smaller tweeners, and 4-3 ILBs in general, he's not asked to do much in coverage beyond 10 yds. from the LOS other than the occasional middle zone drop.

He looks like he could be productive at the next level as a 2-down player, or 2 1/2 down player against certain matchups.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If Chubb ends up being the Packers only selection at inside linebacker there´s a possibility he would start in week 1.

Zoiks!!!! This kid has shown amazing improvement. From non draftable to starter in 4 posts. Look for him to make it into the first round consideration in about 35 minutes if this rate continues.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree about highlight tapes...you get to see what a guy does well but not what he does poorly. In this case, I believe they are showing every snap where he was around the ball. There is a missed tackle toward the end of the tape.

The guy shows consistently good instincts in the run game, packs a pretty good punch, and has the quickness to go sideline-to-sideline and to clean up between the tackles from the backside. The 4.68 time (if that's accurate) is about on par with Barrington, but he's quicker as indicated by the 6.85 3-cone.

Like so many college ILBs, even the smaller tweeners, and 4-3 ILBs in general, he's not asked to do much in coverage beyond 10 yds. from the LOS other than the occasional middle zone drop.

He looks like he could be productive at the next level as a 2-down player, or 2 1/2 down player against certain matchups.
Yeah lol. People tend to get high on the highlight tapes (of all good things they've done). Chubbs showed a little wiggle in the passing game but have to take it with the competition he played at (in this case UL-Monroe). then you'll have to ask yourself.... Can he improve to cover the Darren Sproles of the NFL? Lol.

D

Deleted member 6794

Zoiks!!!! This kid has shown amazing improvement. From non draftable to starter in 4 posts. Look for him to make it into the first round consideration in about 35 minutes if this rate continues.

Great job on your part completely ignoring that I mentioned it as a possibility if he´s the only inside linebacker drafted and that it would tell a whole lot more about the lack of talent at the position than Chubb´s potential.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

Yeah lol. People tend to get high on the highlight tapes (of all good things they've done). Chubbs showed a little wiggle in the passing game but have to take it with the competition he played at (in this case UL-Monroe). then you'll have to ask yourself.... Can he improve to cover the Darren Sproles of the NFL? Lol.
Highlight tapes do provide one benefit with respect to all of these ILB candidates. Presumably at their best in those tapes you don't even see the smaller ones with better 40 times making plays on the ball in the passing game. I've watched ILB tape on the guys with range at #27 until I'm blue in the face and all you see from these guys is zone drops. The occasional INT comes on underthrown balls. The only one of these guys who showed a pass defense that made me sit up was Jaylon Smith, and we know what happened to him.

Can these smaller, speedier college ILBs fill role at the NFL level? It's a crap shoot. Maybe one or the other can or can't, but nobody knows because nobody has seen them try it.

Now look at the NFL. Who are the notable safety/ILB tweeners? They're ex-safeties. In fact, this new age ILB stuff is just another take on the box safety...the only difference is the frequency, or some cases regularity, with which they are positioned in that way. And you'd want to couple that guy with a stout run stuffer.

The general answer to the coverage ILB issue appears to lie with the ex-safeties. The Packers already have the answer on the roster if Capers were inclined to go this route in the form of Burnett, with Dix moved to SS coupled with a true coverage safety, which I do not find Dix to be. This will not happen.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great job on your part completely ignoring that I mentioned it as a possibility if he´s the only inside linebacker drafted and that it would tell a whole lot more about the lack of talent at the position than Chubb´s potential.
Come on. Relax. Dont take yourself so seriously. Didnt know in your first post when you were so sure he was not starter material or even draftable that there was a stipulation regarding other ILBs we may draft.

People are getting carried away with their assesment of our ILBs. If Ryan was in this draft posters would be propping him up as a great 2nd round possibility to solve our problems. Last years draft was sp much deeper. And Barrington was very raw as a rookie and has looked promising. Outside of Lee and Ragland there are no ILBs available in the draft who represent a significant upgrade to our current roster for this coming season.

D

Deleted member 6794

People are getting carried away with their assesment of our ILBs. If Ryan was in this draft posters would be propping him up as a great 2nd round possibility to solve our problems. Last years draft was sp much deeper. And Barrington was very raw as a rookie and has looked promising. Outside of Lee and Ragland there are no ILBs available in the draft who represent a significant upgrade to our current roster for this coming season.

There may not be a lot of inside linebackers available in this year´s draft being an upgrade over Barrington and Ryan but for sure nearly all of them would be an improvement over Thomas and Bradford as the team´s backups. With Barrington coming back from a season ending foot ailment and injuries being a part of the NFL game there´s absolutely no way the Packers should enter the 2016 season without an upgrade at the position.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

If Ryan was in this draft posters would be propping him up as a great 2nd round possibility to solve our problems. Last years draft was so much deeper
I believe that to be true. And like all of these current ILBs he wasn't asked to do much in coverage other than the perfunctory zone drops. There's a learning curve. I wouldn't chalk him up to 2-down duty just yet.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

And Barrington was very raw as a rookie and has looked promising.
So, has one of your little birdies shared how Barrington might be recovering from his injury? In Packerland, it seems like no news turns into bad news more often than not.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've only watched a couple, and Jaylon Smith was it. he would never have fell to us without the injury, but he had it all. I heard a lot about Lee, and watched some that were posted on him, and I don't want him at all. Especially not in the first. I saw nothing in coverage about him I liked, and unless he had a clear run at a tackling dummy, he looked fairly useless out there and i'm being nice in my assessment. I don't know how someone like him gets a 1st round grade? because he can run fast? Let me know when linebackers don't have to deal with blockers and other football players and maybe I'll sign him up.

D

Deleted member 6794

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

Chubb was a senior last season, the reason he´s not on this list as well as mostly regarded as an undrafted rookie is that most experts don´t consider him to be that good of a football player.
That was pre-Combine/Pro Day. If they think he's slow, they ignore the good things on the tape. Once he put up good workout numbers, he's climbed into the draft discussion. It's an annual ritual.

D

Deleted member 6794

That was pre-Combine/Pro Day. If they think he's slow, they ignore the good things on the tape. Once he put up good workout numbers, he's climbed into the draft discussion. It's an annual ritual.

Most draft sites still have Chubb as a prospect who will go undrafted. The scouts Bob McGinn talks to for his pre draft evaluation didn't even mention him.

Djepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm glad we drafted a bunch of future free agents...really excited about the future when Ted finally leaves

Members online

Latest posts