Brady Poppinga

MNPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of people have complained about Brady's play last year, but I have high expectations for improvement. I think he improved quite a bit last year and has a lot of potential. I am not some sort of great judge of football skill but derive this opinion based on several inputs:
1) He is a converted Defensive end and is still learning.
2) The only stats I can find on him are 6 foot 3 inches 250 lbs running a 4.60
3) Missed almost all training camp 2005, then missed most of the rest of the year with a torn anterior cruciate ligament. Came back earlier than they predicted (still missed a bunch of the earlier practices). - so to me this is really his second year.
4) Always described as a guy with a non-stop motor.

Contrast it with the guy that a lot of people think will take over Barnett's job:
Abdul Hodge
6-0 236 4.76

Now I no there is a lot more like instincts, heart, experience and smarts but I do not know why Brady cannot make SAM linebacker a team strength. My biggest worry would be injury.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Brady. He is intense. He does have health issues apparently.

He sucked in pass defense early on last year, but got MUCH better before the season ended(growing pains. It happens when you rebuild.).

I like the linebackers.

kewlbeans

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At the beginning of last season I didn't understand why a lot of fans were so high on Poppinga mainly because he had played very little and proved nothing in my eyes.

After a couple early season coverage problems I thought i thought Brady played great . He's become one of my favorite players and I think he's the best #3 LB we've had in a long time.

Some fans expect Hodge to break into the starting lineup with Brady being the odd man out but I don't see that happening.

packerfan1245

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You make a point about injuries. He is a good linebacker and I have high expectations for him as well. If he does not do well, we always have abdule hodge.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brady is one of the most underrated linebackers in the NFC. I believe he's better than Hunter Hillenmeyer and we might have the better linebacker corp in the NFC North this season. Behind a solid d-line this could turn out to be pretty good.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he has a chance to be pretty darn good.
He HAS to take it to the next level this year to prove that he IS the one to be in there. He looked a little lost last year, but i think the year under his belt will be VERY helpful, and he will show great improvement this season.
JMO

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally, my expectations for Brady Poppinga are not that high. We don't run a Cover 2 and he was a 5th round pick and converted DE, so expecting him to be able to cover good TEs and RBs downfield isn't reasonable. I like Brady Poppinga, because he's obviously a hard worker and he leaves it all out on the field, but anything above average is exceeding my expectations. He's yet to prove to me that he has the talent to play the role we're asking him to play. He's much better fit for SAM in a Cover 2 or 3-4.

Reaction score
The main thing I liked about Popp was that he'd bring experience shedding blockers and making tackles.

Last year, he wasn't up to par in that area. At times, he burst through blocking to make a tackle for a loss (a play in the Vikings game comes to mind), but too often he got lost in blockers. I'm looking for him to REALLY upgrade in that department, and with a year of playing after surgery under his belt, I hope he has shed the rust and lost any reservations on putting pressure on his legs because of his injury.

Another play that I remember is from Popp's rookie year. We were facing the Falcons, and had them back at their own goal line, and Vick was standing in the pocket, and as Vick normally does, he decided to take off to the left side. Popp was at LB, and as Vick took off, Popp immediately burst after him, and surprisingly closed in on Vick. That's not easy to do, and in the end he forced Vick to throw the ball out of bounds. That is what Popp can offer, explosive containment.

I know that with Hawk and Barnett next to him, teams are gonna target Popp. They'd be idiots not to, so I don't expect him to shutdown every TE he goes up against. I want him to contain the TEs and RBs that he lines up against, and I'll be satisfied. Lord knows he has the speed to do that.

To be fair though, our SS play was terrible, and that also hurt Popp. If we can get some stronger SS play, I think Popp will be just fine in the passing game. He'll still give up plays (which LB doesn't?), but he'll be able to contain more plays than he gives up.

McCarthy said at his end of minicamp press conference yesterday that Popp was the most improved LB, and that is encouraging. I'm expecting him to step up this season, and make around 70 tackles and not give up as many catches.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
The main thing I liked about Popp was that he'd bring experience shedding blockers and making tackles.

Last year, he wasn't up to par in that area. At times, he burst through blocking to make a tackle for a loss (a play in the Vikings game comes to mind), but too often he got lost in blockers. I'm looking for him to REALLY upgrade in that department, and with a year of playing after surgery under his belt, I hope he has shed the rust and lost any reservations on putting pressure on his legs because of his injury.

Another play that I remember is from Popp's rookie year. We were facing the Falcons, and had them back at their own goal line, and Vick was standing in the pocket, and as Vick normally does, he decided to take off to the left side. Popp was at LB, and as Vick took off, Popp immediately burst after him, and surprisingly closed in on Vick. That's not easy to do, and in the end he forced Vick to throw the ball out of bounds. That is what Popp can offer, explosive containment.

I know that with Hawk and Barnett next to him, teams are gonna target Popp. They'd be idiots not to, so I don't expect him to shutdown every TE he goes up against. I want him to contain the TEs and RBs that he lines up against, and I'll be satisfied. Lord knows he has the speed to do that.

To be fair though, our SS play was terrible, and that also hurt Popp. If we can get some stronger SS play, I think Popp will be just fine in the passing game. He'll still give up plays (which LB doesn't?), but he'll be able to contain more plays than he gives up.

McCarthy said at his end of minicamp press conference yesterday that Popp was the most improved LB, and that is encouraging. I'm expecting him to step up this season, and make around 70 tackles and not give up as many catches.

Ha ha. Every time you say "Popp", I think that you just said "Poop". :rotflmao:

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:

haha poop

he called the **** poop!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:

haha poop

he called the **** poop!
(Another thread down the crapper!!!) :rotflmao:

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just hope he has a good enough season for Madden 09 to pronounce his name correctly.

"POP-in-juh on the tackle."

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess I was most impressed with Popp when he said that he just LOVES to hit people. I hope he gets many chances to spread the "love" around.

Members online

Latest posts