Brady MVP - not Rodgers

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Fast forward to this season and answer this question: How many games is Peyton Manning "worth". The Colts go from 10-6 to 0- and horrible and the biggest difference is the absence of one player. Now, I confess to not following the Colts closely. Or at all. So I don't know of the other losses that team has suffered or additions it gained. But I do know their organization relied foolishly way too much on one individual. And if you are sticking to the strict interpretation of "most valuable" to a team, then it's gotta be Peyton, doesn't it?

Hell no. Manning doesn't play defense. So their defense would still suck ***. Second, the "P" in MVP is for "player", not "guy who didn't play." Third, everyone knows the Colts are flat-out tanking the season. They could easily have 3 or 4 wins if they actually had a goal of winning, but they don't. The NFL needs a lottery for the top 3 picks just like the NBA. The whole "Suck for Luck" thing is ridiculous. Fourth, how do you know we wouldn't be right there in the basement with them if Rodgers couldn't play? What a team does or doesn't do without a specific player is not a measure of the value of that player.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
GreenBlood, you must have missed the part of my post, right after the part of it you quoted in which I posted, “But that in itself is foolish right?”

Fourth, how do you know we wouldn't be right there in the basement with them if Rodgers couldn't play?
Because I’ve seen Matt Flynn play. Haven’t you?

What a team does or doesn't do without a specific player is not a measure of the value of that player.
Right, that’s why I said it was foolish. The point is some interpret “most valuable” to depend upon how valuable a player is compared to his backup. That’s why I’d call it BPY which requires no interpretation.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Hell no. Manning doesn't play defense. So their defense would still suck ***. Second, the "P" in MVP is for "player", not "guy who didn't play." Third, everyone knows the Colts are flat-out tanking the season. They could easily have 3 or 4 wins if they actually had a goal of winning, but they don't. The NFL needs a lottery for the top 3 picks just like the NBA. The whole "Suck for Luck" thing is ridiculous. Fourth, how do you know we wouldn't be right there in the basement with them if Rodgers couldn't play? What a team does or doesn't do without a
specific player is not a measure of the value of that player.

Aaron is one of the best I have ever seen even though he is still young. Don't let anyone ever tell you guys otherwise. And the Colts have so many issues it's not even worth getting into, all over the team and internally too.

Honestly I don't mind this season now. I felt the Colts era starting to end the last few years. And an instant death this season in Indy with a shot to the head is a lot better then a slow painful agony by stab wounds in New England.

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most of these articles just try to initiate debate/controversy. They're hired to write and if they put Rodgers MVP, there's not much "originality" there since it goes without saying

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Things keep getting more and more interesting in Indy. Looks like Freeney disagrees with Manning as MVP like some have suggested.
http://www.stampedeblue.com/2011/12...ne-says-peyton-manning-is-the-2012-mvp-dwight

NFL Magazine's publisher and editor-in-chief, Mike Dunphy, wrote an article saying that the 2011 NFL MVP (for the 2011 ragular season) is not Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, or Drew Brees. It's Peyton Manning, a man who has not taken a snap under center all season.
Here's a byte from Dunphy's article, via PFT and the LA Times:

‘Look, we all know who would win if we took a poll right now," said Mike Dunphy, publisher and editor-in-chief of the freshly-christened venture, via the Los Angeles Times. "Aaron Rodgers would absolutely kill it. But if the Colts end up going the way they’re headed, the more it proves that Peyton really is the franchise. . . . Is he really​
the MVP? Everybody has an opinion on that, and this is ours."​
Dunphy's opinion does not sit well with the before mentioned Freeney, who (in case you forgot) is a teammate of Peyton's,

"It is disrespectful and it’s ridiculous across the board, to all of the guys who are actually playing the game," Freeney said, per the Associated Press. "To the guys who are playing hard, it’s unfortunate that they’re doing something like that. They will and they do look ridiculous doing that."​
And a reason at times why I can't stand my own fanbase for saying embarrassing stuff like this. Look, injuries happen but all these QBs have "presence" and are great ones. I think it depends on where you read. Indy fans are pro Manning. Pats fans pro Brady. Etc. I try to be unbiased myself. In 2008 when Peyton won MVP I don't recall a single Colts fan saying the league was diminished without Brady in it that season.​
For 2011, Rodgers is the obvious choice for MVP, and he should be the unanimous one. If anyone votes for Tom Brady or Drew Brees, they are either unapologetic homers or on the payroll of the Patriots or Saints. But, should someone vote for Manning, that type of vote would be more of a statement regarding how diminished the NFL is without him. While I'm sure Pats, Saints, and Pack fans might disagree with this, Brady, Brees, and Rodgers do not have the presence that Manning does. Even injured, his absence has cast a shadow across the league, which is why (from a business perspective) it is so very important that he return to play in 2012.

grampi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't know the Patriots played the Colts twice, yet I do remember when they did about 15 years ago, before Brady and Manning even came into the league.

Brady is a great quarterback, but he's easily the golden boy as far as favoritism, just like Manning. I've always felt like quarterbacks get over looked because they just want to focus on Brady and Manning. I'm actually shocked it's him and not Brees that's a competition to Rodgers for the MVP Race. Some may not agree with me, but I think Brees is a hell of a lot better quarterback than Brady, and even after he beat Manning in a Super Bowl, he still gets snubbed as far as being a top elite, I guess he'll always be behind Manning and Brady as long as he's around, no matter how great he is.

Sorry, but Rodgers is the MVP this year, and if anyone is second place, make it Drew Brees. Brady had a 4 interception game, and has been a bit off this year, he has definitely showed his age, when he forces the ball in double coverage to Wes Welker as if he were Jerry Rice. I do like Brady for some reasons, and have nothing against him, but every year his name is in the MVP race, and this is the first time in a long while we haven't had to hear about the other golden boy in the MVP Race (Peyton Manning). Rodgers does have a good supporting cast, but he's on the money every game. How many times do we see Rodgers force the ball in double coverage? Also, Rodgers distributes the ball very well, you do not see him constantly throw to just one or two guys like Brady can do with Welker and Branch, I believe in one game Rodgers had 4 Touchdowns to 4 different receivers. He totally spreads the ball around, and plays un-selfish. If anyone comes second to Rodgers, I'm taking Brees. In 2009, Brees broke the record for highest percentage completion with average wide receivers (all whom would show how average they were in 2010), and he was snubbed the MVP for the league's golden boy. Looking at his numbers this year, he may actually break his own record, it's possible.

As far as the argument of "Pat's don't have near the talent of the Packers" um is that meant to be a joke? Any other time they'll be calling Wes Welker an all time receiver, but Brady does have Welker, Gronkoswki, and a veteran WR in Dieon Branch, but of course I'm just joking, the Pats really don't have any good players on offense and have average B and C receivers. They were just 14-2 last year when Brady broke that really old record from Bernie Kosar for least interceptions, all to lose in the divisional round to the Jets.

I agree. Rodgers is head and shoulders better than anyone else, Brees 2nd, and Brady, a distant 3rd...

bubbahotep

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let me guess, if Brady put up A-Rod's numbers and Peyton Manning won the MVP because he's more 'valuable', he'd be all up in arms about the travesty of justice. Fortunately, not all sportswriters are moronic homers.

mcoomer146

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I missed this thread andposted another....sorry...I couldnt help but laugh when I read that article. Talk about Tom Brady fever. This Guy can't get over him. I hope my predictions are true and the Packer beat the Patriots in the SB.

Eric87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't read the whole thread. Two points:

1. Most Valuable Player. It doesn't say "most valuable to their team." It's raw value, apples to apples. If it were "most valuable to their team," it would become the "best player on a mediocre team" award, and that would be dumb. Since the word "value" is in there, I always think "who deserves to be highest paid?" If age and injury were not concerns, and GMs just had this year's stats to work with, who would be the #1 draft pick from the entire league? Obviously, it would be Aaron Rodgers for most folks.

2. Manning is this year's LVP. He is the Least Valuable Player. He singlehandedly crippled his team's salary cap while not playing a single down, and is likely to be traded after the year. It is extremely convoluted logic that concludes this makes him "most valuable."

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Rodgers turns in another great performance against the Raiders and the Packers win, then it's a done deal as to who's the MVP. Sports commentators have to invent stories to keep the interest up. That's why Skip Bayless is doing what he's doing. They have to have something to talk about and it's boring to keep saying Rodgers is MVP.

Fact is, if you take any of these commentators who say that Brady, Brees or Tebow should win the MVP and when crunch time comes and they have to vote, all but a handful will vote for Rodgers. You just watch.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Highlander2190,

I don’t agree with everything in your post on this thread but it was informative, well reasoned and well written. I’ll remind my fellow Packers fanatics that it contains the following phrase, “Rodgers is still without a doubt MVP…” For the Packers offense I prefer Finley at TE, but as an old time NFL fan I gotta love a player with a name like Gronkowski and love the way he plays.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Highlander2190,

I don’t agree with everything in your post on this thread but it was informative, well reasoned and well written. I’ll remind my fellow Packers fanatics that it contains the following phrase, “Rodgers is still without a doubt MVP…” For the Packers offense I prefer Finley at TE, but as an old time NFL fan I gotta love a player with a name like Gronkowski and love the way he plays.

I"ll take Jimmy Graham. Guy is amazing.

Members online

Latest posts