1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Brady MVP - not Rodgers

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by bhuggins, Dec 8, 2011.

1. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652
    Hell no. Manning doesn't play defense. So their defense would still suck ***. Second, the "P" in MVP is for "player", not "guy who didn't play." Third, everyone knows the Colts are flat-out tanking the season. They could easily have 3 or 4 wins if they actually had a goal of winning, but they don't. The NFL needs a lottery for the top 3 picks just like the NBA. The whole "Suck for Luck" thing is ridiculous. Fourth, how do you know we wouldn't be right there in the basement with them if Rodgers couldn't play? What a team does or doesn't do without a specific player is not a measure of the value of that player.

2. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +3,125
    GreenBlood, you must have missed the part of my post, right after the part of it you quoted in which I posted, “But that in itself is foolish right?”

Because I’ve seen Matt Flynn play. Haven’t you?

Right, that’s why I said it was foolish. The point is some interpret “most valuable” to depend upon how valuable a player is compared to his backup. That’s why I’d call it BPY which requires no interpretation.

3. Jules

Jules The Colts Fan

Ratings:
    +754
    Aaron is one of the best I have ever seen even though he is still young. Don't let anyone ever tell you guys otherwise. And the Colts have so many issues it's not even worth getting into, all over the team and internally too.

Honestly I don't mind this season now. I felt the Colts era starting to end the last few years. And an instant death this season in Indy with a shot to the head is a lot better then a slow painful agony by stab wounds in New England.

4. GBPack2010

GBPack2010 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +67
    Most of these articles just try to initiate debate/controversy. They're hired to write and if they put Rodgers MVP, there's not much "originality" there since it goes without saying

5. Jules

Jules The Colts Fan

Ratings:
    +754
    Things keep getting more and more interesting in Indy. Looks like Freeney disagrees with Manning as MVP like some have suggested.
    http://www.stampedeblue.com/2011/12...ne-says-peyton-manning-is-the-2012-mvp-dwight

And a reason at times why I can't stand my own fanbase for saying embarrassing stuff like this. Look, injuries happen but all these QBs have "presence" and are great ones. I think it depends on where you read. Indy fans are pro Manning. Pats fans pro Brady. Etc. I try to be unbiased myself. In 2008 when Peyton won MVP I don't recall a single Colts fan saying the league was diminished without Brady in it that season.​

6. grampi

grampi Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +24
    I agree. Rodgers is head and shoulders better than anyone else, Brees 2nd, and Brady, a distant 3rd...

7. Havners Heroes

Havners Heroes Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +45
    At this point, anybody who doesn't say Rodgers is MVP is just trying REALLY hard to be a contrarian.

• Like Like x 1
  8. bubbahotep

bubbahotep Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +54
    Let me guess, if Brady put up A-Rod's numbers and Peyton Manning won the MVP because he's more 'valuable', he'd be all up in arms about the travesty of justice. Fortunately, not all sportswriters are moronic homers.

9. mcoomer146

mcoomer146 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +55
    I missed this thread andposted another....sorry...I couldnt help but laugh when I read that article. Talk about Tom Brady fever. This Guy can't get over him. I hope my predictions are true and the Packer beat the Patriots in the SB.

10. Eric87

Eric87 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +39
    Didn't read the whole thread. Two points:

1. Most Valuable Player. It doesn't say "most valuable to their team." It's raw value, apples to apples. If it were "most valuable to their team," it would become the "best player on a mediocre team" award, and that would be dumb. Since the word "value" is in there, I always think "who deserves to be highest paid?" If age and injury were not concerns, and GMs just had this year's stats to work with, who would be the #1 draft pick from the entire league? Obviously, it would be Aaron Rodgers for most folks.

2. Manning is this year's LVP. He is the Least Valuable Player. He singlehandedly crippled his team's salary cap while not playing a single down, and is likely to be traded after the year. It is extremely convoluted logic that concludes this makes him "most valuable."

11. ExpatPacker

ExpatPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +519
    If Rodgers turns in another great performance against the Raiders and the Packers win, then it's a done deal as to who's the MVP. Sports commentators have to invent stories to keep the interest up. That's why Skip Bayless is doing what he's doing. They have to have something to talk about and it's boring to keep saying Rodgers is MVP.

Fact is, if you take any of these commentators who say that Brady, Brees or Tebow should win the MVP and when crunch time comes and they have to vote, all but a handful will vote for Rodgers. You just watch.

12. mcoomer146

mcoomer146 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +55
    It was an AFC EAST blog. Why would the guy vote for an NFC NORTH QB?

13. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +3,125
    Highlander2190,

I don’t agree with everything in your post on this thread but it was informative, well reasoned and well written. I’ll remind my fellow Packers fanatics that it contains the following phrase, “Rodgers is still without a doubt MVP…” For the Packers offense I prefer Finley at TE, but as an old time NFL fan I gotta love a player with a name like Gronkowski and love the way he plays.

14. ExpatPacker

ExpatPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +519
    I"ll take Jimmy Graham. Guy is amazing.