BPA could be a WR

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been hearing the name Cordarrelle Patterson all over the place and actually watched some of his highlight film. The size and speed is astonishing as he's fairly quick for a tall guy as well. Alot of us have been begging for a big guy with speed for quit some time (no not jordy nelson) and he seems to fit the bill. We lost Jennings via free agency and i wouldn't be shocked if Finley is gone after next year either so we need to reload sooner or later and i'd prefer sooner. If TT is so high strung on BPA and he's there then why not? i mean he's done nothing via FA for the defense so maybe he's taking the approach that we will just try and outscore everyone because i sure don't forsee him using 5 or 6 picks on defense this year. Theres not alot of 1st round talent at rb so if Harris is going to be the guy he may look at the later rounds and hopes of a diamond in the rough rb.

MiamiBeachPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't know why you would feel the need to create another thread to complain about TT and the defense when you already have 3 others open.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder what it would be like if you were a fan of the Jets or something, rather than a highly successful franchise like the Packers. We would never hear the end.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think TT's adherence to BPA is a little bit overblown, as they certainly went for need early last year.

It's all situation-dependent. I'd prefer defense, but if you have a guy that talented that falls that far, yes I'd probably pull the trigger on Patterson. When looking at team needs, you can't just focus on the upcoming season.

A lot of fans wondered what in the world we were doing drafting a WR two years ago when we took Cobb in the 2nd. Now we would really be scrambling at WR if we didn't. Needs now aren't always needs in a year or two.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I think TT's adherence to BPA is a little bit overblown, as they certainly went for need early last year.

It's all situation-dependent. I'd prefer defense, but if you have a guy that talented that falls that far, yes I'd probably pull the trigger on Patterson. When looking at team needs, you can't just focus on the upcoming season.

A lot of fans wondered what in the world we were doing drafting a WR two years ago when we took Cobb in the 2nd. Now we would really be scrambling at WR if we didn't. Needs now aren't always needs in a year or two.
BPA is different from team to team. I'm sure a QB needy team has a few of these QBs higher on their board. BPA does have some roots in need. If the Packers thought another Aaron Rodgers were to drop to them at 26 they'd pick him for certain and if Patterson dropped to them they'd pick him too unless there was something about the guy they didn't like. Just because he's high on Mel Kiper's board, doesn't mean he is on TTs.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah if he is the top of the board. But TT doesn't always select the player he has at the top if his board. He had Crabtree at the top of his board and selected raji

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BPA is different from team to team. I'm sure a QB needy team has a few of these QBs higher on their board. BPA does have some roots in need. If the Packers thought another Aaron Rodgers were to drop to them at 26 they'd pick him for certain and if Patterson dropped to them they'd pick him too unless there was something about the guy they didn't like. Just because he's high on Mel Kiper's board, doesn't mean he is on TTs.

True, that's a big peeve of mine after the draft. I shake my head every time people go ballistic every time a guy gets drafted in the 2nd that maybe wasn't on Kiper's big board until the 4th. Then sometimes they go back and talk to a GM and find out that another team would have taken the guy with the next pick.

Kiper and the draftniks don't know all, or there would be no point in even having a GM and scouts for the draft -- anyone can pull the next name off a draft board. Sometimes the team scouts actually do know a lot more inside information and have a lot better feel for how good of a fit a guy will be.

Nick Collins was seen as a huge reach at the time he was drafted in the 2nd, and ended up being a 1st round value.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Kiper really knew all the stuff that The Network works so hard to convince us that he knows, he wouldn't be a draftnik. And he wouldn't be working for ESPN. He'd be working for some team, and he' probably be the highest paid evaluator in the league. Because he'd be the guy that every team needs to have on their side. He's a TV personality, not an NFL personnel guy... He's a character. He's an actor. His best skill isn't his evaluation, it's his persona. Of course the GM's select BPA. And it's pathetic that people take Kiper's opinion of BPA over the opinion of the guys who actually evaluate the talent. "Well, Kiper said they got him too early...." Yeah, and how many Super Bowl teams has Kiper put together?

H

HardRightEdge

Patterson is the consensus #1 WR in this draft. Given the demand, he'll go high, maybe top 10.

So, would TT take Patterson if, say, Sharif Floyd or Lane Johnson were still on the board? No, he wouldn't, but it's moot because none of them will be there (barring some arrest or failed drug test).

In the upper rounds, TT tends to draft the best player at one the position of need.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
If Kiper really knew all the stuff that The Network works so hard to convince us that he knows, he wouldn't be a draftnik. And he wouldn't be working for ESPN. He'd be working for some team, and he' probably be the highest paid evaluator in the league. Because he'd be the guy that every team needs to have on their side. He's a TV personality, not an NFL personnel guy... He's a character. He's an actor. His best skill isn't his evaluation, it's his persona. Of course the GM's select BPA. And it's pathetic that people take Kiper's opinion of BPA over the opinion of the guys who actually evaluate the talent. "Well, Kiper said they got him too early...." Yeah, and how many Super Bowl teams has Kiper put together?
Maybe, but he's got cool hair.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Yeah if he is the top of the board. But TT doesn't always select the player he has at the top if his board. He had Crabtree at the top of his board and selected raji
True enough, but Raji was a "must have" to start the 3-4. Same with Clay. I think they figured that Kampman was never going to be able to make the switch. Even if he did, they needed the bookend which was Clay. You have to admit it was a gutsy draft.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would you guys want to take Marcus Lattimore if he was still on the board at the end of the 2nd round? What about the 3rd?

On one hand, it's a wasted pick for 2013. On the other, you get a value pick for a guy who would probably be a top 10 pick if healthy and have your RB of the future after 2013.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Ah, but Best VALUE Available probably won't. Offensive skill positions in general, outside of QB don't carry enough value to draft one in the first unless the kid screams special, and those guys get taken early. It's one of the reasons you don't generally see interior linemen taken in the top 10 picks of the draft. Positional Value, it's a thing. :shrug:

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
IMO..... Having a legit NEED out weighs BAP. Even if our turn comes up at #26 and the BAP is a WR, I don't think we need to draft him. I would rather have the best DE / NT that is next on the list rather than take a WR that we don't need at this point in the draft. TT has a nose for finding the WR talent later on in the draft, after we have addressed all our up front needs. Yes, we do have a need for a WR, just not so early in the draft. I say, if we wait till the 4th or 5th round, there will be a gem or two left for TT to sniff out.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
IMO..... Having a legit NEED out weighs BAP. Even if our turn comes up at #26 and the BAP is a WR, I don't think we need to draft him. I would rather have the best DE / NT that is next on the list rather than take a WR that we don't need at this point in the draft. TT has a nose for finding the WR talent later on in the draft, after we have addressed all our up front needs. Yes, we do have a need for a WR, just not so early in the draft. I say, if we wait till the 4th or 5th round, there will be a gem or two left for TT to sniff out.
Tell that to the two years TT ignored our pleas for an OLB to compliment Clay.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Isn't that the point of Nick Perry?

Going for NEED only works if there is a player that you need worthy of your pick. Especially if you're talking first round, you don't want to reach for a player. That said, most teams have several NEEDS so they could likely draft a player for a lesser NEED instead of their top priority. The biggest issue is usually to find a willing partner to trade for your pick, allowing you to drop down. A good example was when TT traded his first round pick to the Jets so he could still get Jordy Nelson at the top of the 2nd round but grabbed an additional draft choice. Especially with the rookie cap, it's not as easy to trade away picks

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tell that to the two years TT ignored our pleas for an OLB to compliment Clay.

something we agree on which is why i'm so critical of him at times. The defense is still suffering from it. Until we find a compliment to clay matthews via DL or OLB we will continue to be a inconsistent defense.

Staff online

Members online