Boycott the Saints Game !!!

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm not sure I agree with that. One of the main sticking points of the NFLRA is about the way that the owners want to restructure their retirement into a 401k that would effectively amount to worse retirement package. Also, the argument of the refs is that the NFL has been pulling down record profits, so why shouldn't they get a raise? That's greed, but it's reasonable greed. It's not like they're asking for a salary comparable to any NFL player.

And it was the owners who locked them out, the refs did not go on strike.

The bottom line here is these guys are already very wealthy. They don't need a pension. Most of us have a 401(k) and it's good enough for them. What this is really about is the NFL wanting to take steps to improve the officiating for the future and the NFLRA wants to maintain the lousy status quo and get paid a lot more to do it. Frankly, they haven't earned the kind of raise they're whining about.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
If you digest the play in sections ITS A TOUCHDOWN. Forget the pass interference that is PI plain and simple. But to say these refs blew the call is wrong.

This play went as follows Seattle's QB passes in the endzone. Yes Tate comits PI but I believe the refs are concentrating on the ball up in the air. Greenbay's Jennings makes a great leap and gets both hands cleanly on the ball. At the same time Golden Tate is also in the Air and manages to get one hand on the ball. To this the rule reads as follow.

A player (or players) jumping in the air has not legally gained possession of the ball until he satisfies the elements of a catch listed here.

Rule 8, Section 1, Article 3 of the NFL Rule Book defines a catch:

A forward pass is complete (by the offense) or intercepted (by the defense) if a player, who is inbounds:

(a) secures control of the ball in his hands or arms prior to the ball touching the ground; and

(b) touches the ground inbounds with both feet or with any part of his body other than his hands; and

(c) maintains control of the ball long enough, after (a) and (b) have been fulfilled, to enable him to perform any act common to the game (i.e., maintaining control long enough to pitch it, pass it, advance with it, or avoid or ward off an opponent, etc.).

When Tate is in the air he only has one hand on the ball. He lands with both feet at the same time and imediatedly grabs the ball with his free hand. At this time Tate has possesion of the ball with both hands on the ball and both feet inbounds. Tate then pulls the ball down towards him and this causes Jennings who is still airborne to be pulled forward and lands on one foot only. So in reality Tate is the first player to get possesion of the ball. Not until Tate is on his back does Jennings knee finally comes down and he now is also in possesion acoording to the rules. At this time both guys clearly have both hands on the ball and have both feet or another part of the body besides the hands come down in bounds (Jennings). At this point is when the simultaneous catch happens and the following rule applies.

Simultaneous Catch. If a pass is caught simultaneously by two eligible opponents, and both players retain it, the ball belongs to the passers. It is not a simultaneous catch if a player gains control first and an opponent subsequently gains joint control. If the ball is muffed after simultaneous touching by two such players, all the players of the passing team become eligible to catch the loose ball.

So as I explained it the ref did an excellent job interpreting the rule as it reads. What I don't understand is how the NFL cannot see this and basically save them the embarressment they have been going through.

Brian Billck's take on NFLN

Thought for sure was GB's ball..MD had complete control of it all the way to the ground, all the way through the process. He was stunned it was given to Seattle

G

GROMGROM

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

PARODY VIDEO, TOUCHDOWN MAYBE LOL!!

soroilo2003

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brian Billck's take on NFLN

Thought for sure was GB's ball..MD had complete control of it all the way to the ground, all the way through the process. He was stunned it was given to Seattle

When you first see the play even in slow motion it's clear to all of us. I thought the same thing that it was an Int. Looking at the rules though as I have explained them step by step you cannot say the ref that called it a TD was wrong.

By the way I'm a Cowboy Fan since I can remember and I really dislike what Golden Tate has done over the past two weeks. Like I said don't just read what I wrote read and watch the play as it happens. Only till then can you see the reason why the ref called it the way he did.

By the way also watch how Golden Tate while on his back kicks the other Green Bay DB on the ground (not Jennings)in an atempt to keep him from fighting for the ball.

soroilo2003

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Packers will get it figured out once the O line improves a little. I don't know if they'll make the playoffs but you have very very good players to do some damage once they get there.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Dufass-- the ref was not from the lingerie league, that guy has not set foot on the field. But he as almost as stupid as you. Your argument is predicated on the fact that control is only established by touching the ground with both feet. If that were the case why would they have made three conditions a)control, b)land and c)maintain

Re-read this.

I am not going to addres your name calling as you clearly didnt read when I asked was it true.

As far as my argument? not true, I see MD with both hands on the ball in the air, coming down and on the ground with it...I see Tates left hand/arm not being seen, but see the right hand/arm not on the ball at all for a period of time..

So tell me...How can a guy have control of a ball when his hands are not on it?? But the other guy has two hands on it

fanoffootball

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That money is already in the accounts of the league..so boycotting advertisers now wont help

Not buy stuff at games and leaving at half, will do more then your idea

Defeatist attitude. Won't matter anyway, so why lift a finger, right?

Well I'm a Panthers and Patriots fan. Hate to see what happened to you guys. Will be boycotting ALL NFL games this weekend.

And honestly, I really don't give a crap if my team wins, if it's in this manner. It's the equivalent of The Rock winning the WWE Championship. It's fake.

As for the rest of you, if you decide to watch it that is your decision, but PLEASE DO NOT complain about ref calls after the game. You support it, you paid for it, then understand THAT is what you are paying for. The more you support this, the MORE of it you will get. In essence you are sending them the message that they are right...you have no principles, you don't care what they do to your team and that you will watch no matter what they do. You are encouraging this continues by showing up and paying for trash.

Reaction score
Apparently, you're too young to remember the Jerry Rice Fumble game.
Then there was the Calvin Johnson call that cost the Lions a game.

There was the obviously fumble by Cutler that Ed Hoculi inexplicably called dead.

There was the Tuck Rule Game, which Woodson said was worse.

And then there's the REAL worst call... Bottlegate.
In none of these, did the game end on a refs decision. Calvin Johnson was called a drop on 2nd down, not the last play. The fumble by Rice was not the last play, but the last drive. Woodson would say that the tuck rule was worse because it stopped him from going to the Super Bowl. The defense still had a shot to stop them though.

Everyone on the bottlegate Youtube video says that the Green Bay one was worse. I think it is the same concept, but the Browns game wasn't as the clock went to zero. The only reason the Browns one looks worst is because it was at the Browns home and so fans were going crazy, and therefore the fans caused the game to end without further review.

Also, Peter King (famous SI writer) and almost every expert has said that this was the worst in history (on twitter, etc)... Hell, even Skip Bayless thought it was the worst ever.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
In none of these, did the game end on a refs decision. Calvin Johnson was called a drop on 2nd down, not the last play. The fumble by Rice was not the last play, but the last drive. Woodson would say that the tuck rule was worse because it stopped him from going to the Super Bowl. The defense still had a shot to stop them though.

Everyone on the bottlegate Youtube video says that the Green Bay one was worse. I think it is the same concept, but the Browns game wasn't as the clock went to zero. The only reason the Browns one looks worst is because it was at the Browns home and so fans were going crazy, and therefore the fans caused the game to end without further review.

Also, Peter King (famous SI writer) and almost every expert has said that this was the worst in history (on twitter, etc)... Hell, even Skip Bayless thought it was the worst ever.

Oh, well hell... if Skip Clueless said it it MUST be true! There's no question Bottlegate was worse for several reasons. First, they threw out the rule that a play is unreviewable once another play is run. In fact, TWO plays had been run. Second it was a questionable call to overturn. Shouldn't have been overturned at all. Third, officials didn't finish the game.

The fact that it came at the end of the game doesn't make the call itself worse. Timing is coincidental. Even the commentators both thought it was simultaneous possession until they saw the replay. I would bet a lot of honest Packer fans would admit they were afraid it was simultaneous when they saw it in real time.

Granted that Easley guy should go. He messed up 3 or 4 calls. Other than him, they did just fine. But that doesn't matter, does it?

What IS clear is that the sports media has been in the NFLRA's pocket since day one. There's a clear double-standard. With the other officials, mediocrity is accepted. With these guys, perfection is demanded. Examples:

Phantom hold:

Other refs: "Looks like they're calling it tight today."
these refs: "What a HORRIBLE call! Bring back the real refs!"

Missed holding:

Other refs: "Looks like they're letting them play today."
these refs: "OMG, how can you miss that call! Bring back the real refs!"

Lots of penalties:

Other refs: "These teams are sloppy today. They better clean that up."
these refs: "these guys are just dragging this game along. Bring back the real refs!"

5 minute delay:

Other refs: "The important thing is that they got it right."
these refs: "these guys can't make a decision! They don't know the rules! Bring back the real refs!"

Bad call in the endzone:

other refs: "Well, ultimately you can't blame the refs. The <team name> should have put the game away a long time ago."
these refs: "OMG! That was the worst call EVAAAAR! Bring back the real refs!"

Reaction score
one unfortunate call? this has nothing to do with the Packers and more to do with a league wide joke/problem.

Judging from some above..its somewhat proof how lazy and spoiled some Americans are.

60,000 thousand individuals dont have enough restraint to miss one game , one time because it would be psychological death to do something you dont really want to...? All youre doing is proving the Owners and Goodell's point. You are a bunch of football loving drones who will take what ever they give you ( i'm making a generality, not making fun of anyone here, I'm sure and I hope you get that ) :)

just pretend its 1975 and the game would suck anyway LOL

come on ! the league office has already had more than 70,000 calls etc.

throw more wood on the fire !!!....!!!! :D

I didn't see this post of boycotting in the preseason, or the first 2 weeks of the regular season. This one unfortunate call is forcing all you guys to over react. Would anyone be protesting this game if we won the last game. I think not. Plus there are many other ways to protest than to not watch it or not go to the game. Yes I don't have the restraint to watch the Packer game because I love my Packers. It's the one thing i look forward to during the week

Reaction score
Oh, well hell... if Skip Clueless said it it MUST be true!
Um... I hate Skip Bayless more than anyone I can think of.. The point is, is that if HE even agrees with Packers fans and Stephen A. Smith, then it really must be that bad.

And it was the worst call because the player had the ball in his chest with nobody above him when the refs looked at him. The ref that saw it, called interception.

The tuck rule was technically the correct call. That is why they came up with a new rule so that wouldn't happen. Here, the refs missed the call.

Bad call in the endzone:

other refs: "Well, ultimately you can't blame the refs. The <team name> should have put the game away a long time ago."
these refs: "OMG! That was the worst call EVAAAAR! Bring back the real refs!"
Sorry, but this is a horrible analogy. Packer fans aren't the only ones saying it, plus it was a clear interception, on monday night football, with 0 seconds left, on a hail mary, to win the game.

The ref that made the call was a division 3 ref that wasn't even able to get into division 1 football because he wasn't good enough. The ref that called interception was a Division 1 SEC ref and has ref'ed in the Arena Football League.

The NFL came out with an official statement saying "The Packers should have won the game"
This by itself should be enough evidence.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Um... I hate Skip Bayless more than anyone I can think of.. The point is, is that if HE even agrees with Packers fans and Stephen A. Smith, then it really must be that bad.

And it was the worst call because the player had the ball in his chest with nobody above him when the refs looked at him. The ref that saw it, called interception.

The tuck rule was technically the correct call. That is why they came up with a new rule so that wouldn't happen. Here, the refs missed the call.

Sorry, but this is a horrible analogy. Packer fans aren't the only ones saying it, plus it was a clear interception, on monday night football, with 0 seconds left, on a hail mary, to win the game.

Did you not hear the commentators say "Simultaneous possession!" in real time? It simply wasn't clear until you saw it in slo-mo.

H

HardRightEdge

If you digest the play in sections ITS A TOUCHDOWN. Forget the pass interference that is PI plain and simple. But to say these refs blew the call is wrong.

This play went as follows Seattle's QB passes in the endzone. Yes Tate comits PI but I believe the refs are concentrating on the ball up in the air. Greenbay's Jennings makes a great leap and gets both hands cleanly on the ball. At the same time Golden Tate is also in the Air and manages to get one hand on the ball. To this the rule reads as follow.

A player (or players) jumping in the air has not legally gained possession of the ball until he satisfies the elements of a catch listed here.

Rule 8, Section 1, Article 3 of the NFL Rule Book defines a catch:

A forward pass is complete (by the offense) or intercepted (by the defense) if a player, who is inbounds:

(a) secures control of the ball in his hands or arms prior to the ball touching the ground; and

(b) touches the ground inbounds with both feet or with any part of his body other than his hands; and

(c) maintains control of the ball long enough, after (a) and (b) have been fulfilled, to enable him to perform any act common to the game (i.e., maintaining control long enough to pitch it, pass it, advance with it, or avoid or ward off an opponent, etc.).

When Tate is in the air he only has one hand on the ball. He lands with both feet at the same time and imediatedly grabs the ball with his free hand. At this time Tate has possesion of the ball with both hands on the ball and both feet inbounds. Tate then pulls the ball down towards him and this causes Jennings who is still airborne to be pulled forward and lands on one foot only. So in reality Tate is the first player to get possesion of the ball. Not until Tate is on his back does Jennings knee finally comes down and he now is also in possesion acoording to the rules. At this time both guys clearly have both hands on the ball and have both feet or another part of the body besides the hands come down in bounds (Jennings). At this point is when the simultaneous catch happens and the following rule applies.

Simultaneous Catch. If a pass is caught simultaneously by two eligible opponents, and both players retain it, the ball belongs to the passers. It is not a simultaneous catch if a player gains control first and an opponent subsequently gains joint control. If the ball is muffed after simultaneous touching by two such players, all the players of the passing team become eligible to catch the loose ball.

So as I explained it the ref did an excellent job interpreting the rule as it reads. What I don't understand is how the NFL cannot see this and basically save them the embarressment they have been going through.

You highlighted the wrong passage. The key element of the rule is, "It is not a simultaneous catch if a player gains control first and an opponent subsequently gains joint control." This is why the ex-official consultant to the network (and everybody else in Western civilization) judged it an INT.

The NFL upholding the catch means nothing; the rules do not permit overruling the on field call.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

I never said it wasn't a bad call. I merely said it wasn't the worst ever. Do a google search for [ packers "wasn't the worst call" ] and you'll see plenty of columnists who agree it wasn't. Since when did Skip Clueless and Stephen A Smith become objective?

Reaction score
Did you not hear the commentators say "Simultaneous possession!" in real time? It simply wasn't clear until you saw it in slo-mo.
Because from their angle, they saw Tate trying to wrestle MD Jennings and then you also hear big No's from the announcers after they see MD comes up with the ball. The ref that was closest to the action called the right call.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I never said it wasn't a bad call. I merely said it wasn't the worst ever. Do a google search for [ packers "wasn't the worst call" ] and you'll see plenty of columnists who agree it wasn't. Since when did Skip Clueless and Stephen A Smith become objective?

So a brand new news event and google the words isnt worse call..and your happy you find something?

Your setting up google to HELP your stance

H

HardRightEdge

No, it was not the worst call ever. But when you put together the interference call on Shields, the failure to call interference on Tate on the final play, and then the simultaneous possession call, it adds up to perhaps the worst 30 seconds of officiating I can recall.

H

HardRightEdge

Because from their angle, they saw Tate trying to wrestle MD Jennings and then you also hear big No's from the announcers after they see MD comes up with the ball. The ref that was closest to the action called the right call.

There were two refs closest to the action...one made the right call and the other signaled touchdown. As for the announcers' first take, either a) they were watching the field from 75 yards away instead of the monitor or b) they were just announcing based on seeing the ref call TD.

I was watching the "monitor" and the pick was clear in real time the first time. The ref calling TD did not understand the simultaneous possession rule. No question about it. Anything to the contrary is rationalization, not explanation.

And I am not known as a homer, far from it.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Say what you want, LTF. You opinion trumps all after all, but the idea that that was the "worst call in NFL history" is simply preposterous. People will still remember the Rice fumble that knocked us out of the playoffs long after they've forgotten the details of this one. The media is pushing the "Worst Call Ever!" angle because it helps the NFLRA and the fan-bots ate it up. It's certainly in the top 10 worst calls, but it is in no way the WORST. The Cutler fumble that was called a forward pass even though the ball slipped BACKWARDS out of his hand (thanks to the whistle-happy Ed "watch me flex while I make the signal" Hoculi) was far worse. But he wasn't a replacement, so stupid calls are perfectly acceptable from the so-called "professionals."

Just a quick question... are we still allowed to blame the officials when the other guys cost us a game, or do we have to go back to the mindset of accepting mediocrity because they're "the pros?"

H

HardRightEdge

Here's the thing about a boycott: unless you have a Nielson box hooked to your TV, turning it off makes no difference whatsoever. If you bought a ticket and don't show up, nobody will care...the team already got it's money.

Besides, after two days it's about time to move on. Life is not fair. Sometimes you get screwed. You can wallow, or you can move on.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Yes, the SEC official DID get it right. But he's a replacement, therefore, he sucks, right? Let's not weed out the few bad apples like Lance Easley and let negotiations work themselves out. Instead, let's condemn ALL of them and push the NFL into giving in to the greedy NFLRA before they can get meaningful changes worked out that will improve officiating for the long term. I will say this. Many of these replacements are an upgrade over some of the other guys. Bill Levy's crew is particularly bad from top to bottom.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
There were two refs closest to the action...one made the right call and the other signaled touchdown. As for the announcers' first take, either a) they were watching the field from 75 yards away instead of the monitor or b) they were just announcing based on seeing the ref call TD.

I was watching the "monitor" and the pick was clear in real time the first time. The ref calling TD did not understand the simultaneous possession rule. No question about it. Anything to the contrary is rationalization, not explanation.

And I am not known as a homer, far from it.

Actually the announcer said "Simultaneous" almost instantly. And I still don't agree that it was obviously in real time.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Come on Packers fans, make the Stadium an empty Chasm on Sunday !!

show your disgust with the WWNFL
I have yet to see any change ever from anyone ever making a call for certain change off an internet forum.
It's one thing to show disgust and anger and write things such as "Fire this guy!!" or "Boycott this!" or "I want XYZ to happen. Let's do it!" to see any change or desires by the OP take place.
If one is really serious about boycotting this game, then you need to do more than just post on here.
You have to meet with like minded folks in person and organize. Otherwise a call for a boycott on here won't even make a microscopic scratch to the NFL since it will only be contained in our little world here. \
The NFL is too powerful for anyone to do anything on just an online forum.
Is it just hot air or is it serious?
If it's the latter than do more than just letting it all out on here.
Right now as disgusted as I am, I don't feel motivated to boycott by not watching games. If there was some movement mentioned in the press, then I would consider not watching.

But hey, since I don't go to Lambeau or ever give the NFL any of my bucks, I guess in a way I am already boycotting the NFL by default.

Members online

Latest posts