Bowser is the type of player that the packers need in this year's NFL Draft

Which player do you feel the Packers should select with their first pick?

• Tyus Bowser

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • TJ Watt

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • Joe Mixon

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Forrest Lamp

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 5 25.0%

• Total voters

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If those were my choices, I'd probably take Lamp. Then Watt and then Bowser. But I like all three.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watt for me. But something tells me TT may have a WTF moment yet again. There are 10 or so players that would not shock me and another dozen in the realm of possibilities.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Of that group, I might pass on all of them, although if I had to choose...Watt and getting him by trading back into early Rd. 2
  • Watt: I like Watt, but not sure he is a #29 pick. He has some work to do in the weight room to beef up and improve his lower body strength. Until that happens, he could get manhandled by NFL Tackles. Also, I have to wonder if his brother wasn't JJ, if he would even be in the conversation for Rd. 1?
  • Lamp: Probably going to be a solid G, who can also play the T position, but I don't see TT using a #29 on the position.
  • Mixon: Not worth the risk or PR nightmare.
  • Bowser: Didn't know a lot about him, but as I was reading about him, I just couldn't stop thinking about Justin Harrell and Jamal Reynolds.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure Watt's brother is helping to fuel the speculation around him. Both going into college as TE's and leaving as sack machines on defense. I think TJ needs to add weight, especially lower body as you state, but also upper. If his brother is any indication, he should be able to :) But he only played 1 year at the position. as a fan, he looked the part to me. Seemed instinctive, was disruptive, made plays at big moments. But i'm just a fan. When I hear others talk about him, they say he made a lot of those plays against TE's and RB's and not beating the tackles. Is that true? what does it mean?

I have no idea, i watch it as a fan. It would make a difference in my assessment as being a 1st rounder or not, but he also may just be a Ted type pick as well. We're not going to get the sure fire can't miss prospect at #29. But if they feel a guy can grow into a position and be a playmaker down the road, that's acceptable at that draft position. and Watt kind of fits the bill. Great athleticism, lots of room to grow and he only played the position for one year i believe, and he has room physically to grow. So, while you most likely won't get a crack at a Von Miller at #29, you can get a guy that can grow into a 10+ sack guy every year, but it might take a season or 2 to get there. I'm ok with that.

The rest of the guys, i know nothing about except what i've read. If you didn't play for WI, I probably haven't seen anything from you but highlights :)

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Interesting, but I'm not sure he's your guy at #29. Maybe round 2......
I watched game tape on him yesterday, vs Memphis...for all the hype he has been getting, I was disappointed in what I saw. He may have had 1 tackle, no QB pressures, Tackles consistently ate him up. (and were talking Memphis) One thing that I noticed is he is a guy that can drop into coverage and do a decent job, something the Packers have been lacking in recent yrs...Overall, from what I saw, I wouldn't take him until Rd 3

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Yeah, I see Bowser as a value round 3 guy. He translates to a situational pass rusher in the NFL and if you run the ball right at him he will get pushed around. I know Bowser has put some weight on but he played at Houston and there is no tape of him playing at new weight. How often do we see a guy throw some weight on and run a good 40 and then get projected where he shouldn't be? It happens a lot and is a move TT should avoid with much safer options available. Bowser is a total reach at 29.

I feel much better going with Charles Harris at 29 who dominated SEC competition at times. Harris is more of a 3 down player then Bowser and has a more explosive first step. Harris I believe can immediately help get the Packers pash rush going again. Packer fans will love this guy.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I watched game tape on him yesterday, vs Memphis...for all the hype he has been getting, I was disappointed in what I saw. He may have had 1 tackle, no QB pressures, Tackles consistently ate him up. (and were talking Memphis) One thing that I noticed is he is a guy that can drop into coverage and do a decent job, something the Packers have been lacking in recent yrs...Overall, from what I saw, I wouldn't take him until Rd 3

From what I've read thus far, it seems this guy is high on potential, low on production.

I'm more comfortable drafting guys with production. So, yeah, probably third round or later, if at all.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I see Bowser as a value round 3 guy. He translates to a situational pass rusher in the NFL and if you run the ball right at him he will get pushed around. I know Bowser has put some weight on but he played at Houston and there is no tape of him playing at new weight. How often do we see a guy throw some weight on and run a good 40 and then get projected where he shouldn't be? It happens a lot and is a move TT should avoid with much safer options available. Bowser is a total reach at 29.

I feel much better going with Charles Harris at 29 who dominated SEC competition at times. Harris is more of a 3 down player then Bowser and has a more explosive first step. Harris I believe can immediately help get the Packers pash rush going again. Packer fans will love this guy.

I like Harris as well, a lot of mocks have him going at #28 to the Cowboys. If he's still available at #29, I think he's a guy that could help Green Bay.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I like Harris as well, a lot of mocks have him going at #28 to the Cowboys. If he's still available at #29, I think he's a guy that could help Green Bay.

Cowboys need pass rusher too. They really like Jordan Willis so we shall see.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm sure Watt's brother is helping to fuel the speculation around him. Both going into college as TE's and leaving as sack machines on defense. I think TJ needs to add weight, especially lower body as you state, but also upper. If his brother is any indication, he should be able to :) But he only played 1 year at the position. as a fan, he looked the part to me. Seemed instinctive, was disruptive, made plays at big moments. But i'm just a fan. When I hear others talk about him, they say he made a lot of those plays against TE's and RB's and not beating the tackles. Is that true? what does it mean?

I have no idea, i watch it as a fan. It would make a difference in my assessment as being a 1st rounder or not, but he also may just be a Ted type pick as well. We're not going to get the sure fire can't miss prospect at #29. But if they feel a guy can grow into a position and be a playmaker down the road, that's acceptable at that draft position. and Watt kind of fits the bill. Great athleticism, lots of room to grow and he only played the position for one year i believe, and he has room physically to grow. So, while you most likely won't get a crack at a Von Miller at #29, you can get a guy that can grow into a 10+ sack guy every year, but it might take a season or 2 to get there. I'm ok with that.

The rest of the guys, i know nothing about except what i've read. If you didn't play for WI, I probably haven't seen anything from you but highlights :)

Totally agree on your assessment of Watt and "what" can and can't be expected from a #29 pick. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't hate the pick. I would like it even more if we can trade back, pick up a 4th rounder AND Watt early in the 2nd round. I do think having JJ as your brother goes a longer way than it probably should. Yes, they are brothers, but besides the genetics part of it, I'm not sure how much can be correlated from that, besides saying "he has good football pedigree". The "middle" Watt brother, Derek is a FB with San Diego, he didn't exactly light it up as a rookie, but for a 6th round pick, the Chargers probably got a good player.

With Matthews potentially on his way out soon, Watt could end up being the perfect bookend with Perry to finally give the Packers a consistent run defense and pass rusher on both sides of the ball. JJ will need work on containment and cover skills, but so do most rookie OLB I would assume.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Having a dude named Bowser on the squad would be pretty cool....

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Scotland Yard

What the hell is going on around here!
Reaction score
If those were my choices, I'd probably take Lamp. Then Watt and then Bowser. But I like all three.

Lamp is sooooo overrated. The 0nly reason he is in the first round of so many mocks is because there is no one else at OG this year. In most years a guy like Lamp would be picked late second round to early third round. Dude had one good game vs. ALA, but, other than that played nobody. At least Lucas Patrick and Kyle Murphy played div. 1 teams every week and I'd rather give them a shot than waste a pick on a total project like Lamp.

I don't understand the motivation to fill a need in the first round with the weakest OG class in 20 years when you'll have bona fide edge rushers and CB's with first round grades to chose from.

If TT drafts Lamp at #29 he should be fired on the spot.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Lamp is sooooo overrated. The 0nly reason he is in the first round of so many mocks is because there is no one else at OG this year. In most years a guy like Lamp would be picked late second round to early third round. Dude had one good game vs. ALA, but, other than that played nobody. At least Lucas Patrick and Kyle Murphy played div. 1 teams every week and I'd rather give them a shot than waste a pick on a total project like Lamp.

I don't understand the motivation to fill a need in the first round with the weakest OG class in 20 years when you'll have bona fide edge rushers and CB's with first round grades to chose from.

If TT drafts Lamp at #29 he should be fired on the spot.

Lamp is a stud. He's very athletic, technically proficient, he has great technique, and excellent balance. This OL class is terrible but that doesn't mean every OL in this class is terrible. Guard isn't as valuable a position as Edge or CB, but if those are my choices then he's the best pure prospect by a wide margin and would be my choice.

It's a little silly to think that every analyst studying drafts out there is saying "Well this guy stinks, but there's no one else so we'll stick him in the top 20."

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
  • Lamp is a stud. He's very athletic, technically proficient, he has great technique, and excellent balance. This OL class is terrible but that doesn't mean every OL in this class is terrible. Guard isn't as valuable a position as Edge or CB, but if those are my choices then he's the best pure prospect by a wide margin and would be my choice.

It's a little silly to think that every analyst studying drafts out there is saying "Well this guy stinks, but there's no one else so we'll stick him in the top 20."
  • While it would be nice to have the luxury of drafting the best overall player at a position Thompson hasn't set this team up in free agency to do so. Too many other pressing needs to go "guard shopping" in 1st.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
  • While it would be nice to have the luxury of drafting the best overall player at a position Thompson hasn't set this team up in free agency to do so. Too many other pressing needs to go "guard shopping" in 1st.

Of course a great pass rusher or corner would be better. I'd even go along with taking a lesser prospect at another position over a guard. But Lamp is a top shelf offensive line prospect. I honestly believe he could play well at all five spots. He's a perfect fit for the Packers. At a certain point you have to be willing to take the value if it becomes that good. And despite popular belief, the world isn't going to end if the Packers don't take the prospect or position that you or someone else wants.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Of course a great pass rusher or corner would be better. I'd even go along with taking a lesser prospect at another position over a guard. But Lamp is a top shelf offensive line prospect. I honestly believe he could play well at all five spots. He's a perfect fit for the Packers. At a certain point you have to be willing to take the value if it becomes that good. And despite popular belief, the world isn't going to end if the Packers don't take the prospect or position that you or someone else wants.

If Thompson had played his cards correctly in free agency I would have no problem with the Packers taking Lamp. In fact it would be the perfect pick for "staying ahead of the curve".

Unfortunately right now Thompson has us "behind the curve".

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If Thompson had played his cards correctly in free agency I would have no problem with the Packers taking Lamp. In fact it would be the perfect pick for "staying ahead of the curve".

Unfortunately right now Thompson has us "behind the curve".

So your solution to this perceived problem is to take the position that you think is most needful no matter the value on the board elsewhere?

Latest posts