BONEHEAD play of the day

Which one made you madder

• Total voters

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which one play hissed you off the most?

John Kuhn's butchering of the rare blocked punt, where we would have taken over at their about 35 yard line?
Uncoordinated, and stupid. Know the rules idiot. Leave the ball alone there.
Can anyone remember the last time we blocked a punt? I can't. Years? Decades? lifetimes?
I can't stand Slocum, but I felt bad for him there when Kuhn was on the sideline trying to offer his explanation. Slocum looked pained... didn't even look at Kuhn, then walked away from him.

Or:

4th & 20, Jerron McMillian falls down and allows them to stay alive with the long prayer completion, with us up 9 and about to run out the clock then and a smooth finish. Then he also allowed the next play touchdown as Dallas Clark was able to run right past him.
I don't care if he's younger and stronger, I really wish we had Charles Woodson back there patrolling the back end.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOUGH vote for me as both made me want to fire the remote out the window.... I did smack my phone down on my desk both times.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
kuhns was more bonehead but mcmillan was more unacceptable. desperation play at the end you cant let guys get behind you no matter what.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Consider, for a moment that nobody else was near the ball at the moment he touched it and that there was a clear path to the endzone. If Kuhn picks it up and runs for a TD, nobody complains. More often than not that would probably be the outcome. I'm not going to demonize a guy for trying to make a play on the road in what was at the time a close game. Who is perfect?

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jerdroppal Paddlehand's moronathon of going oob after running 50 yards, and not making the opponent call a time out with less than 2 min left in the game.

12theTruth

Jerdroppal Paddlehand's moronathon of going oob after running 50 yards, and not making the opponent call a time out with less than 2 min left in the game.

You sure don't like JerMichael :) I didn't like that either but I got over it. He needs to get his head in the moment like Lacy did there with his last 1st down conversion. How long has he been with the Pack now? Long enough to know these things!!

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't we block a punt last season vs. The Jaguars? Dezman Moses returned it for a TD...or maybe he fell on it in the end zone?

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Consider, for a moment that nobody else was near the ball at the moment he touched it and that there was a clear path to the endzone. If Kuhn picks it up and runs for a TD, nobody complains. More often than not that would probably be the outcome. I'm not going to demonize a guy for trying to make a play on the road in what was at the time a close game. Who is perfect?

I never thought I`d ever say this in my life on here again, but I TOTALLY agree here. It was a dumb mistake, but just that, a mistake. We all make them now and again.

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

I never thought I`d ever say this in my life on here again, but I TOTALLY agree here. It was a dumb mistake, but just that, a mistake. We all make them now and again.

Buggy,
People that dwell on the negative are like bad weather, unwanted but always with us. I prefer to see the glass half full. We got the win, on the road, had a 100+ yd rusher, and saw some gutsy performances by the Defence. I also got to visit my brother and sister-in-law and had a terrific home cooked meal (Pork Tenderloin with trimmings). :tup:

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
I will take the bone headed play of an 8 year veteran who should have been yelling "stay away!!!" over a split second poor decision & trip by a second year player.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Because every player at this level knows that in that situation, you need to GET AWAY from the ball. Kuhn knows and admitted he made a boneheaded play. No one is perfect, but you can't hide behind the concept of "trying to make a play" to excuse a boneheaded mistake.

Also, "If Kuhn picks it up and runs for a TD, nobody complains. More often than not that would probably be the outcome." Is this serious? You think more often than not, Kuhn scoops up a moving football, breaks tackles along the way and takes it 40 yards to the house? Did he morph into a faster Marshawn Lynch?

Best case scenario is that he successfully picks it up which produces the exact same result as just getting away from it.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guess what? People do make mistakes in pro football. The teams that limit those mistakes are the ones that win. I noticed there was no complaint that the Packers didn't lose a fumble or throw an interception. I wonder if all of you are flawless when you go to work each day? I wonder what it would be like to have a bunch of folks on the Internet complaining about every goof you made?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guess what? People do make mistakes in pro football. The teams that limit those mistakes are the ones that win. I noticed there was no complaint that the Packers didn't lose a fumble or throw an interception. I wonder if all of you are flawless when you go to work each day? I wonder what it would be like to have a bunch of folks on the Internet complaining about every goof you made?

This coming from the guy who just a few weeks ago complained about Ted Thompson, the "spongy defense", and predicted an 8-8 season all in one post after the Bengal game.

RockyRaccoon

Day Tripper
Reaction score
Didn't we block a punt last season vs. The Jaguars? Dezman Moses returned it for a TD...or maybe he fell on it in the end zone?
Yep. He fell on it in the end zone IIRC.

My vote for most boneheaded play would have to be Kuhn not falling on the ball after the block. The guy's a vet, and he should know better than to try to pick that up. Fall on it and let the offense do it's thing.

RockyRaccoon

Day Tripper
Reaction score
Also, I give an honorable mention to the Packers offense for horrible play clock management. I get that we had some inexperienced players on the field due to injuries, but there is no excuse for using all three timeouts so early in both halves. We're fortunate that didn't come back to bite us.

Reaction score
.................or if he just doesn't touch it, wouldn't it be Packers ball right there?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Consider, for a moment that nobody else was near the ball at the moment he touched it and that there was a clear path to the endzone. If Kuhn picks it up and runs for a TD, nobody complains. More often than not that would probably be the outcome. I'm not going to demonize a guy for trying to make a play on the road in what was at the time a close game.
I'll demonize him. It was boneheaded for a veteran. Your argument is right on if that was the case. Unfortunately, it was not the case. There was no clear path to the endzone. In fact, Kuhn muffed the pickup BECAUSE there were defenders coming in his direction so he didn't bend down far enough to get the ball, hoping to snatch it quickly and run. Had there been no defenders nearby then I wouldn't have cared as much. He screwed up and could have cost us the game. He owes the entire defense big steaks for bailing his rear-end out.

I'd also love for somebody to pull up real stats about picking up a ball versus falling on it. 99% of the NFL fan base believes that you should fall on the ball....which is pure non-sense. Every player needs to know their strengths and weaknesses. Guys with good hands ought to use them to get the ball, because as often as I see muffed pickups I see guys falling on the ball and then the ball squirting out. Falling on an oblong ball while you're wearing plastic armor on your chest is not a sure thing.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You sure don't like JerMichael :) I didn't like that either but I got over it. He needs to get his head in the moment like Lacy did there with his last 1st down conversion. How long has he been with the Pack now? Long enough to know these things!!
That is what struck me - I was yelling for Finley to just go down. Lacy, a rookie, had more sense and understanding of the game. Fin should be a little embarrassed - but the catch and run was a great play by him - props for that.

And that is why I cast my vote for Kuhn. He should have known better. Running and trying to pick up a bouncing ball is usually not a good idea.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
All true Packers fans are happy with the win but look at the title of this thread. It’s not “general thoughts and impressions of the game’ or something similar. If that were the title and all the responses were negative after a win, those complaining would have a point. For those who are so ‘glass half full’ that they apparently can’t stand to read a negative comment about the team, perhaps you should avoid threads with not-too-subtle titles like BONEHEAD play of the day!

(caution: the rest of this post is commentary on two negative plays yesterday) I don’t think the choice between those two plays is even close. In one a player tripped/slipped and fell down and in the other a player purposely touched a ball that shouldn’t have been touched.

adambr2 post hit on Kuhn’s boneheaded play: The upside of his touching the ball were very limited and the downside was huge. Thinking “more often than not” Kuhn runs that into the EZ coming from a poster who implores others to ‘watch the game’ is humorous.

While neither are firing offenses, particularly tripping on a play, I think the Packers would be a better team without Kuhn or McMillian. As I posted in another thread, IMO FB is now obsolete in McCarthy’s offense as the TEs can handle those duties. (This would not be the case if McCarthy wanted a “road grader” FB like Vonta Leach to be a lead blocker, but that is not Kuhn’s forte.) And again just IMO, McMillian has to improve significantly or be replaced at safety. He’s still young and inexperienced so there’s a chance he could improve but I wish he didn’t have to play from scrimmage until he does improve.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kuhn reminds me of my only two career KRs of my highschool career. I was the center of the wedge and a kick came up short. I caught it and started to run to my left and was tackled immediately for no gain. My coach screamed at me that I was too slow to run east and west, just take it north-south if it ever happened again. On the next kickoff, the ball came to me again and I took a half step forward before getting blasted backward for my career total of -1 yards.

The point being, the coach quickly drove home the point that I was not a fast WR with good hands, but a slow lineman. Kuhn should've known that he wouldn't gain more than a few yards. While he may have decent hands for a FB, he should not be attempting quick plays. One would think that his brain would be an attribute.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also those reminding us that we all make mistakes, we are not perfect, etc. etc, please drop the holier than thou angle.

I don't think anyone is criticizing Kuhn or McMillian based on the premise that we are perfect people and never make mistakes. Football is a game in the public eye and these people are in the public eye, and they do realize that. Without that scrutiny, there would be no need for talk shows, most of NFL Network, message boards, or the like. No one here said they hated Kuhn or insulted him personally. He was fairly criticized for a poor football play. It happens every Sunday.

Vladimirr

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't know John Kuhn personally, but I'd be willing to bet he would put himself at the top of the "bonehead play of the day" list today too.

Where I used to work, they had the "Golden Shoehorn" award they would give out for the team member who stuck their head where the sun don't shine (and therefore needed a shoehorn to get it out). The Golden Tractor award was saved for a really big mistake.

You learn, and you move on. And someday you laugh about it.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also those reminding us that we all make mistakes, we are not perfect, etc. etc, please drop the holier than thou angle.

I don't think anyone is criticizing Kuhn or McMillian based on the premise that we are perfect people and never make mistakes. Football is a game in the public eye and these people are in the public eye, and they do realize that. Without that scrutiny, there would be no need for talk shows, most of NFL Network, message boards, or the like. No one here said they hated Kuhn or insulted him personally. He was fairly criticized for a poor football play. It happens every Sunday.

Actually, that's not quite true. There are those few chronic knee-jerkers who say dumb stuff like, "Look! He made a BONEHEAD play! OMG! Cut his *** NOW!" That gets really old.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
... The guy's a vet, and he should know better than to try to pick that up. Fall on it and let the offense do it's thing.

He should have avoided the ball entirely. No need to "fall on it". A blocked punt is still a punt. If it is not touched after the blocking action, the receiving team gets the ball at the point that it stops rolling. However, if the receiving team touches the ball (after the block and beyond the LOS), then it becomes a live ball.

I think this rule was made famous by Leon Lett on Thanksgiving day a couple decades ago when, as the 4th quarter was down to only a few seconds remaining, he tried to pick up a blocked field goal but dropped it. The kicking team (Miami?) recovered and tried the FG again-- this time successfully, and won the game as a result. Had Leon just let the blocked ball come to a stop on the turf, the Cowboys would have won. A blocked FG is just like a blocked punt in this case.

I recall Leon Lett later making a blunder in the SB. As he was running towards the endzone with the ball after he recovered a fumble, he started celebrating too early-- slowing down and holding the ball out. He didn't see Buffalo's WR (Don Beebe-- who joined the Packers later in life) chasing him down. Beebe knocked the ball out of his hands prior to him reaching the endzone. Touchback. Lett was a good player, but (like Billy Buckner of the Redsox) will forever be known for his screw ups.

Anyway, I digress...

Members online

Latest posts