1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Bonds hit 756

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by bozz_2006, Aug 8, 2007.

1. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +652
    I take sollace only to know that Alex Rodgriguez will break it in a few years. Even if he's still a Yankee, I don't care.

2. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    I too am okay with it, he has hit 756 home runs, period. Like all records.. it will fall someday.

I thought Hank and Bonds both handled the situation with class. Even the Commiss handled it hit pretty good, albeit he had to throw in a dig in his statement.

It is finally over and time to move forward.

3. vikesrule

vikesrule Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    [align=center]* 756[/align]

4. Pack93z

Ratings:
    +22
    Yes, but then every other player in the past 15 to 20 years that has set a record should have the same notation. We have no clue whom has done what and how.... that is the shame that MLB has to carry. IMO.

5. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, the infamous '*'.

6. vike4life

vike4life Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    :tantrum: :tantrum: Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!
    :soapbox: :soapbox:

7. Packnic

Packnic Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6
    Bonds is a dick. and i dont like the guy cause he isnt a good teammate and hes only concerned about himself.

but hes never failed a drug test and to put an asterick beside his record is not right.

8. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    The Hank Aaron mystery video was awesome though. Classy.

For a second I thought the video was going to be of Bonds father, in a taped message congratulating his son, before he died. Tell me that wouldn't have been the coolest thing ever (Despite Barry's cheating).

A-Rod will get it in about 7 years.

9. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +652
    did anyone see the homerun? When he got to homeplate his kid was there ready to embrace dad and celebrate together... and all dad did was soak up the spotlight for himself and completely ignore his son.

10. nathaniel

nathaniel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    My signature says what I think about the whole thing.

11. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +652
    hahaha. i hate the Yankees! but i hate Bonds more.

12. Pack93z

Ratings:
    +22
    Ahhh, say it isn't so Alex. With all the distain for Bonds, why do people seem to point to Arod being worthy of such an honor.

> Steriods questions will catch up to him, just as Bonds, as the record becomes obtainable in the next couple of years. Go back and look at Arod a couple years ago with Seattle and now... think his body and to me even his head shape hasn't changed? Now I am not claiming he is guilty, but the same question posed today to Bonds might want to be posed to Arod.

> Arod is no more gracious to fans and media than is Bonds, in my opinion.

> Arod has been caught with a stripper a number of times when away from home, no different than Bonds with the ladies on the side.

So my question is, how is Arod a better rep for the record than Bonds?

Man I wish Junior would have stayed healthy and shattered the dang record :thumbsup:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/08/08/chipper.arod.ap/index.html

Suspicious minds
    Chipper: Steroid questions could follow A-Rod, too
    Posted: Wednesday August 8, 2007 10:51PM; Updated: Thursday August 9, 2007 12:47AM
    NEW YORK (AP) -- Chipper Jones predicted Alex Rodriguez will be the next player answering questions about steroids if he gets close to breaking the home run record.

The Atlanta Braves star said Wednesday that A-Rod probably will face suspicions about steroid use -- just as new home run king Barry Bonds has -- because Jose Canseco recently hinted he has salacious information to disclose about Rodriguez.

"I don't doubt it," Jones said. "There's been a lot of validation to some of the things that Jose Canseco has said over the years. At first when it came out a lot of people didn't want to give him a lot of credit for it. But a lot of it has been proven true. Now, when he opens his mouth, people listen. And unfortunately, this cloud is following probably two of the best players of this century."

Canseco, who hit 462 homers during his 17-year major league career, attracted the attention of Congress in 2005 with an autobiography, Juiced, that accused several top players of steroid use. They included Mark McGwire and Rafael Palmeiro, who later was suspended for violating baseball's steroids policy.

Canseco also admitted using steroids.

Last month, the 1988 AL MVP told WEEI-Radio in Boston that in an upcoming book he has "other stuff" on Rodriguez, the New York Yankees slugger who recently became the youngest member of the 500-homer club.

Canseco said A-Rod was a "hypocrite" and "was not all he appeared to be," according to ESPN.com. But Canseco wouldn't say whether A-Rod had used steroids.

Rodriguez has declined to comment.

"I think it will follow him," Jones said. "There's going to be the questions because his name's been brought up. If I had to pose a guess on A-Rod, I would say no. But I don't know. He's going to have to answer the questions. And that goes for everybody that approaches the number. It's just so farfetched, the numbers that those guys are putting up. And a lot of it comes from the era that they're playing in."

Bonds broke Hank Aaron's career mark with his 756th homer Tuesday night and insisted the record is not tainted. Asked what he thought, Jones said: "I'm going to reserve judgment. Let's put it that way."

"But it's unfortunate for the game that there is such a cloud hanging over it. Hopefully, everything will come out and Barry will be cleared and we can all say that Barry is the true home run champ and that there is no asterisk, there's nothing tainted," Jones said.

"There's nothing any of us ballplayers would want more, to be honest with you. Because I'm playing in the steroid era. Everything that I do is going to be judged. It's the same with a lot of good ballplayers that have put up a lot of good numbers in this era that did it the right way."

Jones, who hit a two-run double against the New York Mets on Wednesday night, also pointed to baseball's ongoing steroids investigation, led by former Senate majority leader George Mitchell.

"Time is going to tell for a lot of people, until this Mitchell investigation is complete. And it's not just (Bonds and Rodriguez), but they're the poster children because they are the two best players in the game, or have been. It's inevitable. It's just the way things are now," Jones said.

13. PackerLegend

PackerLegend Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    [​IMG][​IMG]

1st picture + [​IMG] =2 picture

14. PackerLegend

PackerLegend Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
  15. nathaniel

nathaniel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, and in a couple years Canseco will come out with a book that implicates Albert Pujols and Prince Fielder. He'll keep naming names until he implicates everyone who had more that 462 HRs. The guy just wants attention. Of course he won't say ARod did steroids, because he wants you to buy his new book. Most of the stuff in his last book was already common knowledge. Everyone knew McGwire had used. I don't believe for one second that ARod has used steroids. I'm not even a huge ARod fan. I think the Yankees should have let him go instead of Sheffield. ARod's numbers haven't significantly changed over the years like Bonds' did from '97 to '02. The whole thing really sucks, because now EVERYONE is being scrutinized.

16. Pack93z

Ratings:
    +22
    That is the point, anyone that shows any power and body changes will be scrutinized without ever being found guilty with proof. As it is with Bonds, Arod and the next slugger... Braun :)

17. Packnic

Packnic Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6
    Barry Bonds is your new home run king.... get over it.

Its looking for every possible advantage that makes you a better player.

people get bigger as they get older... believe me im twice as big as i was in high school haha.

add natural development with years of physical training and supplements and HGH and whatever else you can get your hands on... your gonna be bigger than you were.

bottom line is, theres no way hes on steroids right now and hes still beltin em.

i dont even like the guy, but in baseball... breaking a record is breaking a record... no matter how you get it, its a cheaters sport.

18. Raider Pride

Raider Pride Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Barry Bonds cheated.

He would be convicted for cheating if one took the evidence and it was put in front of a jury of God Fearing Americans in any county in any state of this great country.

However... Barry now is recognized by M.L.B. as holding the record of the most home runs which is perhaps the greatest zenith one can reach in all of professional sports.

Throwing a" Spit ball" is also cheating. However, Gaylord Perry is in the hall of Fame.

Shoeless Joe Jackson was banned from baseball "For Life" for throwing the 1919 World Series although his stats in that World Series were 12-for-32 a .375 batting average. Joe was 5-for-12 with men in scoring position and had 5 runs, 3 doubles, 1 home run, 6 RBI?

Joe is not in the Hall Of Fame. Gaylord is. Barry Bonds will also be there.

The Baseball Hall Of Fame is about recognizing performance on the field of play.

There will be no Pete Rose in the Hall Of Fame for children to appreciate 100 years from now when we are all dead and gone. Pete bet on baseball as a manager.

There will be no Shoeless Joe Jackson in the Hall of Fame either.

However... There will be Barry Bonds and Gaylord Perry for our great grand children to admire.

Baseball as a whole is all messed up.

19. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,484
    R.P.

a local radio show was debating same sort of issues the other day..One of the co-hots mentioned the spit ball, emery board and the like used by pitches, and how they get a "free pass"

A caller said that maybe they get looked at differently, because they arent an everyday player and need help from others..

Meaning pitchers HAVE to rely others to help him to get better stats..Where as Bonds can get his stats all by him self..

So that is a very logical reason as to why Gaylord got a free pass..