Blocked FG - Special teams

Hincha

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty good article at Packers official website regarding blocked FG/extra points.

http://www.packers.com/news-and-eve...d-target/ce1d36bb-b14c-4023-a162-3d26b00fb9b4

3 of the 4 blocks have come after Sitton and Lang taken off the FG unit due to their injuries and trying to protect them.

Unsure how they resolve this going forward, but would not surprise me they are still rested this week on FG unit, but then for Detroit and playoffs they are back on the unit.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no idea why they would take them off. If they can play then they can play. I believe the only reasoning was because they didn't practice with the units. If MM doesn't care about them missing practice and playing o-line I don't get why he would care in regards to simple FG blocking.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no idea why they would take them off. If they can play then they can play.

They have ankle and foot injuries, right? Normally on field goals, you interlock ankles with your teammate. On the left side, the guard's right instep touches the center's left. The tackle's right instep to the guard's left, etc, right on down the line.

I could see the change for reinjury higher based on technique.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know why they replaced Sitton and Lang with defensive linemen Josh Boyd and Mike Pennell in those roles. Wouldn't o-linemen like Lane Taylor and J.C. Tretter be better suited to block. D-linemen don't usually have that as their forte.

Special teams in Green Bay are more of an afterthrought anyway. They usually just stick back-ups there. They use DuJuan Harris as a kick returner because they don't want to risk Randall Cobb; their best return man. Remember how they fumbled around to find a punter several years ago, until they found Tim Masthay as a street free agent.

Buffalo brought in Thigpen, who returned the punt for the td Sunday, just to do returns. The Packers don't believe in using a roster spot for that.

Guys are plugged in on ST's on the Packers when there's nothing else for them to do on offense or defense. And I have to wonder how much work is really done during the week compared to what is put in on offense and defense.

I'm not putting the problems on Shawn Slocum. The policies by Mike McCarthy and Ted Thompson in the ST areas has to be examined.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't know why they replaced Sitton and Lang with defensive linemen Josh Boyd and Mike Pennell in those roles. Wouldn't o-linemen like Lane Taylor and J.C. Tretter be better suited to block. D-linemen don't usually have that as their forte.

Taylor and Tretter were on the field for the blocked FG in Buffalo. The Packers didn´t line up Bulaga, Lang and Sitton in that situation cause all of them aren´t 100% healthy.

And I have to wonder how much work is really done during the week compared to what is put in on offense and defense.

I'm not putting the problems on Shawn Slocum. The policies by Mike McCarthy and Ted Thompson in the ST areas has to be examined.

I can assure you the Packers put a lot of work into special teams. The results have been mostly disappointing during Slocum´s tenure as position coach and IMO it´s time to move on from him.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Funny how people get pitchforks ready when the Packers re-sign their best special teams player (Jarrett Bush) and then there are threads where it's complained that they don't do enough for special teams.

There is a rare perfect team in this league. Everybody has holes. You can call special teams the place for backups or you call it the breeding ground for the next wave of starters. There's no reason that with a roster of 53 guys active on game day that only 22 of them should ever see the field. The remaining guys are there to play special teams and jump into the game as needed at their skill positions.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no reason that with a roster of 53 guys active on game day that only 22 of them should ever see the field. The remaining guys are there to play special teams and jump into the game as needed at their skill positions.
Game day active roster limit is only 46... which is why it takes away a positional player to have a return-only guy. Many teams do it, GB usually doesn't and has a 5th WR, 3rd RB, 5CB, or 4th S in the returner slot. They're active and can play in an emergency, but not a critical every-down player (Cobb, Nelson).

Not sure why other team's tall D-linemen are getting enough push in the middle to block FG/X pts., but that means the offensive blockers aren't getting push and allowing the pocket to shrink. Peppers (6'-7") is our "monster in the middle", Mario Williams (6'-7") got the block last week. Stalemate at the line won't cut it, OL needs some push to keep the tall guy(s) away from the ball.

OP
OP
Hincha

Hincha

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They have ankle and foot injuries, right? Normally on field goals, you interlock ankles with your teammate. On the left side, the guard's right instep touches the center's left. The tackle's right instep to the guard's left, etc, right on down the line.

I could see the change for reinjury higher based on technique.

I agree... also remember that Lang got his injury on an extra point in Saints game.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts