Blake Martinez

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really liked how Blake played early this season. He hasn't played well, especially in pass coverage, since returning from injury. He gave up a lot of plays in the game yesterday before exiting with a knee issue. I think that barring injury, Joe Thomas is our guy the rest of this season. I fully expect Martinez to come back next season and be the starter but he's got to heal and learn at this point.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Yeah.... I believe you're right. I don't remember what his previous injury was ... I did note the same thing you have. The rookie wall perhaps?

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Martinez looks more like a run stopper to me. That's where I seen his impact the most. Where some stand there and back pedal while the pile comes to them. Martinez sticks his nose in there and lays a hit.
How hurt is he from yesterday? he had his legs rolled up on.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The kid Ryan been ballin in coverage and on the run.
Yes he is. He was the player I was most excited they drafted last draft. And he is showing why. Incredible football player with natural instincts and great habit of being film junkie!! Martinez has had his struggles thus far but overall still impressive rookie season. I think Thomas played his way into contract this year.

Reaction score
Thomas has improved and looks to me like an above average pass cover guy. Thomas has improved markedly from last season. Martinez is a solid run stopper and tackler and as for Ryan.. he has a good bit of both.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of people on this forum fell into the common trap of assuming that a rookie who makes mistakes and looks slow as a rookie, can't still learn and improve in subsequent years. Thomas is a prime example. He won't be a superstar but might fill a very important role on this team.

Last edited:

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of people on this forum fell into the common trap of assuming that a rookie who makes mistakes and looks slow as a rookie, can still learn and improve in subsequent years. Thomas is a prime example. He won't be a superstar but might fill a very important role on this team.
the coaches apparently seen something in him... He outlasted a lot of LBs that I thought were pretty good

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The kid Ryan been ballin in coverage and on the run.

Finally seems we've found a long term starter at ilb. Hopefully Blake follows suit. Wouldn't mind picking up a ss/ilb hybrid guy in the draft though in the mold of a buccanon/Barron type.

D

Deleted member 6794

Martinez looks more like a run stopper to me. That's where I seen his impact the most. Where some stand there and back pedal while the pile comes to them. Martinez sticks his nose in there and lays a hit.
How hurt is he from yesterday? he had his legs rolled up on.

McCarthy was optimistic during his press conference yesterday that Martinez will be able to practice this week and hopefully play vs. the Cowboys.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm optimistic that he can back up Thomas, but both aren't playing very well while injured. We need the depth but we really need one or both of them to heal up.

Ryan, Martinez, and Joe Thomas will be the penciled in guys at ILB going into the draft, and TT will spend a 3rd or 4th round pick on the position while bringing in a few UDFAs.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
A lot of people on this forum fell into the common trap of assuming that a rookie who makes mistakes and looks slow as a rookie, can't still learn and improve in subsequent years. Thomas is a prime example. He won't be a superstar but might fill a very important role on this team.
I think this is very common here that posters assume that player's develop ends after training camp. These young guys are on a development ladder that many times last 4-6 years. Patience is not a virtue on this forum.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think this is very common here that posters assume that player's develop ends after training camp. These young guys are on a development ladder that many times last 4-6 years. Patience is not a virtue on this forum.
and for some, they never ascend that ladder. ILB is one position where Packer fans have most definitely lost their patience and I think deservedly so. The position has been an achilles heel of the defense for a long time and a regular revolving door of mid to late round draft picks and UDFA's that don't pan out. Let's hope Ryan, Martinez and Thomas actually keep climbing that ladder.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ILB wasn't great last year, but it was not the reason we underperformed as a team. it was probably 8th down the list of things I would have put my finger on. And it hasn't been an issue this year, despite being down 2 starters at one point. If all we ever had were guys like we have right now, the playmakers should be in front of and behind them in this style of defense. They're more than good enough and I'm impressed with Ryan, despite being rather cool on him when he was drafted. I don't think he's done getting better yet.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm optimistic that he can back up Thomas, but both aren't playing very well while injured. We need the depth but we really need one or both of them to heal up.

Ryan, Martinez, and Joe Thomas will be the penciled in guys at ILB going into the draft, and TT will spend a 3rd or 4th round pick on the position while bringing in a few UDFAs.
An ILB I really enjoy watching that would be a solid pick for us is Zach Cunningham he is solid all around. He fits the mold of sideline 2 sideline!

D

Deleted member 6794

ILB wasn't great last year, but it was not the reason we underperformed as a team. it was probably 8th down the list of things I would have put my finger on.

Unfortunately the lack of talent at inside linebacker was the #1 reason the Packers lost the NFCCG at Seattle.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately the lack of talent at inside linebacker was the #1 reason the Packers lost the NFCCG at Seattle.
no it wasn't. Scoring 3's instead of 7's. Failing to get a 1st down to close out the game. A slipped Ha Ha on a hail mary 2 point conversion. A bone head move on a meaningless fg, and a botched onside kick were the reasons we lost at Seattle. That defense gave us how many extra possessions? I'm not even reliving that game. ILB was #32 on the list of reasons we lost that game.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I thought that the Offense's inability to score points off early turnovers, the offenses inability to muster more than three and outs, the offense's inability to capitalize on injuries in the Seahawks secondary ranked higher on that list. I also put Bostick's botch job on an otherwise well defended onside kick above ILB play as well, oh and the collapse in defensive intensity in the second half of the 4th quarter. Who doesn't remember Peppers and Matthews laughing and joking on the sideline with half a quarter left in the game, I don't.

D

Deleted member 6794

no it wasn't. Scoring 3's instead of 7's. Failing to get a 1st down to close out the game. A slipped Ha Ha on a hail mary 2 point conversion. A bone head move on a meaningless fg, and a botched onside kick were the reasons we lost at Seattle. That defense gave us how many extra possessions? I'm not even reliving that game. ILB was #32 on the list of reasons we lost that game.

I thought that the Offense's inability to score points off early turnovers, the offenses inability to muster more than three and outs, the offense's inability to capitalize on injuries in the Seahawks secondary ranked higher on that list. I also put Bostick's botch job on an otherwise well defended onside kick above ILB play as well, oh and the collapse in defensive intensity in the second half of the 4th quarter. Who doesn't remember Peppers and Matthews laughing and joking on the sideline with half a quarter left in the game, I don't.

The lack of talent at inside linebacker was directly responsible for 20 of the Seahawks points. A lot of other factors led to the Packers losing that game but in my opinion that was the main one.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're reaching :) 5 turnovers on defense. 5 extra possessions and we couldn't score TD's. The ref that missed the offsides penalty that allowed a Sherman INT to stand had a bigger impact on the outcome of that game, then every single play by our ILB's.

The only difference between the last game we played them this year, and that game, was TD's scored instead of FG's.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Not wanting to go back and relive a game that has been rehashed, refried and remembered far too often, there was plenty of blame to go around for losing that one and in my opinion, ILB play was one of them. I'm having a hard time agreeing with anyone that thinks the ILB position has not been a position of weakness for the Packers defense. Let's hope Ryan, Martinez and Thomas put an end to the drought of talent that the position has seen.

D

Deleted member 6794

You're reaching :) 5 turnovers on defense. 5 extra possessions and we couldn't score TD's. The ref that missed the offsides penalty that allowed a Sherman INT to stand had a bigger impact on the outcome of that game, then every single play by our ILB's.

I´m quite sure allowing 20 points because of a lack of talent at a single position had a significant impact on that NFCCG.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
in your opinion only of course. That single position also had a hand in keeping Lynch and everyone else absolutely buried until the end of that game and produced 5 turnovers. Our ILB's were not stellar that year. and they were not anywhere near the reason we lost that game. Did and ILB cause a ref to hold an obvious flag giving seattle a INT and keeping more points off the board for GB? Did and ILB answer that absolute prayer of a 2 point conversion that clinton Dix played like a rookie? Probably, it was Barrington that made him toss that prayer. I can see what you're getting at LOL.

anyway, i guess you're entitled to your opinion

D

Deleted member 6794

in your opinion only of course. That single position also had a hand in keeping Lynch and everyone else absolutely buried until the end of that game and produced 5 turnovers. Our ILB's were not stellar that year. and they were not anywhere near the reason we lost that game. Did and ILB cause a ref to hold an obvious flag giving seattle a INT and keeping more points off the board for GB? Did and ILB answer that absolute prayer of a 2 point conversion that clinton Dix played like a rookie? Probably, it was Barrington that made him toss that prayer. I can see what you're getting at LOL.

anyway, i guess you're entitled to your opinion

I´m not ignoring any of the other factors that contributed to that loss but do you disagree with me that the inside linebackers were mostly responsible for allowing 20 points??? Seven on the fake field goal, another seven when Barrington misplayed a wheel route by Lynch setting up the Seahawks on the 1 and both ILBs misplaying Lynch´s 24-yard TD run for another six.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FG is special teams, i don't care who was playing that, when you're playing it like GB did, they had a perfect fake call. I don't care who your ILB was, or DB was or OLB or safety whoever was in Hawks position, he was in a no win position. Take the defender, take the passer, it was going to be converted.

Barrington played the wheel route perfectly earlier in the game too, and played an aggressive game that helped bury their offense the entire game. SOme one else may or many not have made the same mistake late in the game. and now you're taking 1 positions failures at a time when the entire team was collapsing. The ILB's could have been responsible by handing them the ball in the endzone for 20 points, and if any of those other things I talked about earlier went differently. it wouldn't have mattered. That's why the play of our ILB's in that game is very far down the list of the reasons we lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts