BJ Raji fires bullet back at NYG

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I was just reading "Instant Replay" again (Jerry Kramer's NFL diary from the season leading up the Ice Bowl/SBII, if you've not read it); he describes how the Packers were expected to be nice, never to fire back, never to get into the verbal exchange game...and how it drove him nuts. He could get worked up into a pretty good lather by game time, which I imagine was at least part of Lombardi's intent.

I read that book about a zillion times when I was younger. Lombardi tried to get his team to act like the consummate professionals. He was frustrated too with the antics of Hornung and McGee. He wanted his team to have a winner's attitude about them that made it seem like winning was just another day at the office. In his opinion they didn't need to talk big. They just needed to show up and win.

But there is another factor in today's league. One I don't appreciate, but it's there nonetheless. Partly because of fantasy football and a number of other factors, this has become a player-centric league rather than a team-centric league. So guys tend to do things to draw attention to themselves. They gain free publicity and presumably sell more products for themselves. Even things like Finley's touchdown celebration isn't a "TO" imitation. It is an self promoting advertisement.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
What does a Charger Bolt, a piece of cheese, the Atlanta Hawks logo and a Florida Gator all have in common?

They are on the bottom of this page for some reason…

You saw the pictures but not the words?

Check out some of the Sports Sites in our Network:

There is a BAD joke about not being able to read unless there are pictures..But I wont go there

OP
OP
GiantsWorld

GiantsWorld

Cheesehead
Reaction score
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- The New York Giants offensive lineman knew what questions were coming Friday afternoon after practice. So Chris Snee approached it with humor when asked if he heard Packers defensive lineman B.J. Raji said his group wasn't the toughest.
"I was upset about it all night. I couldn't sleep, really tossing and turning," Snee said wryly.
With the Giants set to face the Packers in an NFC divisional game on Sunday at 4:30 p.m. ET though, Snee got serious about what Raji, a New Jersey native, said earlier this week.
"All kidding aside, no one cares what B.J. had to say," Snee said. "Sometimes when you're young and you make it to a Pro Bowl and then to a Super Bowl and you have your own commercial, you feel the need to talk. We'll do our talking on Sunday."
Raji was speaking Thursday in Green Bay, and was asked to assess different parts of the Giants offense. By his assessment, the Giants running backs were a physical group, the offensive line, not so much.
"I'm not saying they're soft," Raji said of the offensive line, "but they're not the toughest group I've been against."
Giants center Davis Baas had one basic response to all questions on Raji, and repeated it until reporters got the message.
"Honestly, I don't care," Baas said. "I'll do my talking on Sunday with my pads. I don't care. He can say whatever he wants to say, it doesn't matter."
Last week before the Giants faced the Falcons in a wild-card game, Justin Tuck used the word "dirtbags" when talking about Atlanta, which dominated several news cycles leading up to the game -- to Tuck's irritation. Snee referred to that when asked to guess at Raji's motivation for disrespecting a group right before facing them in such a high-stakes game.
"I read his earlier comments saying their team doesn't talk and we're doing all the talking," Snee said. "But he's giving the quotes. I don't understand the double talk there, but whatever you have to do to get yourself psyched up. Personally, it's the divisional round so that's what I'm excited about."
Offensive lineman Kevin Boothe said everyone is entitled to an opinion. "This is America," he said but added that it wouldn't affect the way the Giants prepare for the game.
At the end, Boothe was asked if there was anything worse that you could say about an offensive lineman. He smiled a little.
"Maybe dirtbag?"

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I'm with those who would like to see our guys shut up until they put up....and to my taste, not even then. It reflects poorly on the entire organization. I don't make allowances for youthful exuberance neither.

Reaction score
I am not going to fault BJ at all on this one. All week long, I had to endure listening to Pierre-Paul talk about how they were going to walk into Lambeau Field and roll us over or how Justin Tuck keeps referring to the '07 championships game and blah blah blah. BJ wasn't being disrespectful. He will just have to back up what he says. We shall see.

OP
OP
GiantsWorld

GiantsWorld

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not going to fault BJ at all on this one. All week long, I had to endure listening to Pierre-Paul talk about how they were going to walk into Lambeau Field and roll us over or how Justin Tuck keeps referring to the '07 championships game and blah blah blah. BJ wasn't being disrespectful. He will just have to back up what he says. We shall see.

All week? He said it once and the media ran with it. I like the fact he thinks his team will win. He didnt call anyone out, like Raji

DragonSoul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Snees reply. "Sometimes when you're young and you make it to a Pro Bowl and then to a Super Bowl and you have your own commercial, you feel the need to talk. We'll do our talking on Sunday."

Funny retort!

Reaction score
Laughing at the Giants now saying they will do their talking on Sunday, after taking the first shot. Yeah, that is not have real life works.
For real. You have Pierre-Paul running his mouth and then Tuck going on and then Rolle running his mouth. I just want the Packers to beat them. That's all the talking that needs to be done.

DragonSoul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guys do realize that Jennings started with the tweet after the Giants beat the Falcons, then we heard from your HC saying they will win, and finally by BJ.

Personally both teams should feel they will win, not to mention what else would you want them to say? Nope we will lose. We have no chance, so why even try?

21 hrs away from hopefully a great game.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Snees reply. "Sometimes when you're young and you make it to a Pro Bowl and then to a Super Bowl and you have your own commercial, you feel the need to talk. We'll do our talking on Sunday."

Funny retort!

Except they started their talking shortly after beating Atlanta...

BOB KAMINSKI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
HE WOULD NEVER BE A STARTER ON A LOMBARDI TEAM. ALL OF THE DEFENCE LINE STARTERS DON'T HAVE ENOUGH SPEED AND THEY ARE OUT OF SHAPE. THEY ALL MUST GO IN THE STRENGTH BUILDING ROOM AND SPEED ROOM.THEY ALL HAVE TO COME UP WITH SOME TYPE OF SPECIAL STRENGTH AND SPEED MOVE. THEY ALL HAVE TO START WORKING NOW TO GET THEMSELVES READY FOR THE 2012-2013 SEASON. COACH MIKE McCARTHY CAN'T SECOND GUESS LIKE HE DID ON JAN.15-2012. COACH McCARTHY ALSO HAS TO BE A MORE TOUGHER HEAD COACH.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts