Bittersweet - 49ers and Bucs

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would it not be bittersweet to beat the 49ers and Bucs to make the Super Bowl this year?

Considering they beat us and knocked us out in the NFCCG the last 2 years....

That's just my line of thinking.

Reaction score
Would it not be bittersweet to beat the 49ers and Bucs to make the Super Bowl this year?

These are obstacles that make the journey sweeter. Remind me of the 2007 Giants. They lost to GB and Dallas early that season. Then beat Dallas and GB in the playoffs (us in OT!) on their way to taking out an undefeated 16-0 team.
Just Imagine how scary that must’ve been playing NE as a wildcard!

OP
OP
kevans74

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly. My point in this post is.... everyone will say

"who do we match up well/bad against"
"Who do you prefer we play?"
"weather and affecting southern teams"
"injuries"
Etc., etc.

in the end, it doesn't really matter. On any given Sunday, anyone can win. Usually the better overall team wins, and also the team that EXECUTES their game plan and strategy and does not commit a bunch of turnovers and/or penalties.

That said, I'd rather we beat the teams that knocked us off before :)

Reaction score
watch 24 for sf cover...that should help the worry. Our WR's should be licking their chops.
SF has not faced a combo of the 2021 version of Adams and Rodgers 1500+ yards. It’s another level of good.
I’m hoping having both Billy and David back will allow Marcades to roll out for a few passes. He’s actually pretty good for a Big Dog. In theory their return should loosen the playbook some.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Having to play them might be bittersweet but there would be nothing bitter about beating them.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bottom line if you want to be the best, you gotta beat the best, and thats what they have here. We will have match up issues with both teams. Kittle/Samuel/Aiyuk and Gronk/Evans/Perriman are both match ups to ponder. Inside pass rush has to be there as neither opposing qb's can move well. That will be the key to success.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bottom line if you want to be the best, you gotta beat the best, and thats what they have here. We will have match up issues with both teams. Kittle/Samuel/Aiyuk and Gronk/Evans/Perriman are both match ups to ponder. Inside pass rush has to be there as neither opposing qb's can move well. That will be the key to success.
I'm pretty sure all you have to do is beat everybody that you play.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bottom line if you want to be the best, you gotta beat the best,

I'm pretty sure all you have to do is beat everybody that you play.

I guess it depends on how you define "best" if by best you mean champion then you are right if you beat everybody you play you will be champion. However, we all know of instances where the champion maybe didn't play the best team as someone else knocked them out in an upset earlier on or maybe the champion just had a great day and beat the best.

I know what you are saying though. The Packers have the most championships of any NFL team but do they have the most bests? Being both would be ideal but for what its worth I'd rather be the champion holding the trophy than the best on the outside looking in.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thank you for calming my fears of alzheimer's. i could have sworn that happened.
It did …and it still took a last 30 second no timeout drive and a walk off Crosby field goal to win that game. I would much prefer that we get a lead early and build on it … my blood pressure doesn’t need another nail biter.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we win the Super Bowl this year, we will have probably had to beat the Niners, the Bucs, and the Chiefs - not a single "easy out" in the bunch. We will have earned that trophy.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers will need to play three excellent games in a row over very good teams to win a another Lombardi. The special teams can't implode. The defense has to cover TE's, contain running qb's and not get gashed in the running game and the offense has to avoid slow starts and red zone problems. Lot of big ifs but they have the talent. The question is do they have the coaching?

D

Deleted member 6794

I guess it depends on how you define "best" if by best you mean champion then you are right if you beat everybody you play you will be champion. However, we all know of instances where the champion maybe didn't play the best team as someone else knocked them out in an upset earlier on or maybe the champion just had a great day and beat the best.

I know what you are saying though. The Packers have the most championships of any NFL team but do they have the most bests? Being both would be ideal but for what its worth I'd rather be the champion holding the trophy than the best on the outside looking in.

In my opinion the team winning the championship is the best one as well. Another team losing in the playoffs doesn't have any right to claim otherwise.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 49ers scare me. They are a much better team than the version that we played earlier this season...just as the Chiefs are playing MUCH better than when we played them. I would rather that we were playing the Cowboys in the Divisional Round.

I would like to play the Rams in the title game. Davante can school Jalen Ramsey again, our OL can frustrate Aaron Donald into another one of his tantrums, and we can slap around Stafford one more time.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my opinion the team winning the championship is the best one as well. Another team losing in the playoffs doesn't have any right to claim otherwise.
In my opinion that is only true for sports that have best of 7 series. It is not true for a single elimination sport such as football, where a lesser team could beat a better team by luck. That's why football has the saying "Any given Sunday".

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I prefer to use words like serendipitous, or opportune, or fortuitous. Bittersweet? nothing bitter about it. If we play well, none of them are going to beat us.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my opinion that is only true for sports that have best of 7 series. It is not true for a single elimination sport such as football, where a lesser team could beat a better team by luck. That's why football has the saying "Any given Sunday".
I agree. How many times have we said "the better team did not win today". Like I said though, I rather be the wining team than the better team if I had to make that choice.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
The 49ers scare me. They are a much better team than the version that we played earlier this season...just as the Chiefs are playing MUCH better than when we played them. I would rather that we were playing the Cowboys in the Divisional Round.

I would like to play the Rams in the title game. Davante can school Jalen Ramsey again, our OL can frustrate Aaron Donald into another one of his tantrums, and we can slap around Stafford one more time.
While I most definitely agree with you and have some concerns, I keep having to remind myself that the Packers are also a much better team than the version that traveled to the West coast in week 3 of this season as well.

realitybytez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
per pff, of deebo samuel’s 117 targets, 80 came between the numbers. of george kittle’s 93 targets, 67 came between the numbers. of course kittle's stats are almost irrelevant if the 49ers use the same game plan against the packers because kittle was almost exclusively a blocker for the running game. packers middle of the field defense better be ready.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts