1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Bishop signs with the Vikings

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Shawnsta3, Jun 11, 2013.

1. JBlood

JBlood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,019
    are you really George reincarnated??

2. buggybill2003

buggybill2003 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,074
    Sometimes with my arthritis, and general aches and pains, I do wonder ? :D

3. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,379
    He got an interview somewhere??? I didn't read anything about that. :unsure:

Those Fox and ESPN interviews don't count. ;)

4. Shawnsta3

Shawnsta3 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +375
    Desmond Bishop reportedly fighting for a roster spot. Not now, but soon may be time for you TT criticizers to cede to another one of his decisions.

http://m.startribune.com/?id=219344421

5. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,424
    As a Packer fan, if Bishop gets cut by the Vikings, I don't think that leaves any doubt that Ted made the right decision.
    As a human being, I feel bad for Bishop. Last pre-season really derailed his career -- he was a pretty solid player up until then.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,465
    Plus you have to factor in all of the years that he had to ride the bench, despite proving in training camp that he deserved to start. His career was shortened on the front and back ends.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,485
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    I love Bishop and this is one of the many injuries we've had that makes me want to punch the football injury god smack square in the mouth.

Bishop
    Bulaga
    Sherrod
    Collins
    Kampman
    Al Harris
    Terrance Murphy
    Sterling Sharpe

8 careers, or at least seasons, ended for us due to injuries.

9. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +838
    Its about time to punch the field turf inventor in the mouth.

10. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,485
    Actually, Lambeau has the DD GrassMaster system, not Field Turf. I believe it is also used on the Packers' outdoor practice fields. It is predominantly natural grass with some plastic filaments stitched in. During the Lambeau tour I took the guide said it's about 2% plastic; the Packers.com web site says 20 million filaments in the Lambeau turf. Some turf expert could verify if those numbers agree up, but not me.

Evidently Philly and Denver use the same system on their game fields.

11. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,465
    At my hotel the other week, I bellied up next to a guy who was changing the turf at the Meadowlands. They were already replacing the Field Turf installed the MetLife Stadium to a different brand of turf. There are a bunch of articles from 2010 where the Giants were complaining about the turf causing injuries. Apparently this stuff also wears out quickly. I had no idea how many different brands of synthetic turfs were out there for teams to choose from.

As for Bishop, it sounds like Leslie Frazier has now called him out publicly saying that he needs to get on the field and earn a spot or he's gone.

12. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +838
    Philly and Denver!!!! Those 2 teams have had all the injures recently!!!

I think the problem with the field turf and possible this hybrid is the base that it is set upon. That makes the surface extrememly hard and I question its ability to naturally absorb shock instead of transferring it back up the athletes leg.

13. Bagadeez04

Bagadeez04 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +133
    Man kind of makes you feel for the guy. The millions of dollars he has earned playing football allows me to be only so sympathetic, but the he's in a tough spot. Maybe he can pass on the stretching and conditioning excersizes he learned in Green Bay to the guys in Minny?

14. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,485
    If there is an issue with this GrassMaster system I doubt it has to do with the hardness of the field. I've never heard anybody complain on that score and it is supposed to be 97-98% grass, so it has a grass-growing base.

What I would question is it's resistance to "divoting" and that it might be prone to having a cleat get stuck on an awkward hit. If so, this would account for the number of knee and ankle issues we seem to accumulate. All-grass may have just enough give and or put up a divot on an odd hit to prevent cleat-sticking to avoid some of these injuries. This is just a conjecture; the kind of micro affect that might be at play would be very hard to measure.

This GrassMaster system is very popular in Europe for soccer pitches, particularly among the elite English teams...Manchester United, Arsenel, et. al. use it. However, soccer players are not often subject to high/low or twisting tackles.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  15. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,485
    If he can still run 4.5, I'd take him for opening day...only.:eek:

16. TeamTundra

TeamTundra Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +105
    Looks like Bishop gave up a TD in the Vikings-Bills preseason game. Not entirely sure it was his responsibility, but he
    was the closest to the receiver.