Bishop gets new contract

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's an interesting situation. Bishop has played great, as well as Hawk, but what do we do with Barnett? Certainly he is good enough to be a starter. We can't bench him. Do we give him his starting spot back and bench Bishop? do we trade one of them? I will be interested to see what happens.

gbpowner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gotta say that I haven't missed Barnett, other than the fact that we are an injury away from starting someone else that I haven't heard of! For some reason unknown; after Barnett went down, Hawk elevated his game and quit playing like a girl too! Maybe he's realizing some of his potential or the increased leadership role in the middle has brought out better play and a new found ownership from Hawk too! Bishop brings a more physical presence to the middle and he is a solid tackler, less of the over pursuit & getting caught up in the garbage that Barnett seems to do. It will be interesting to see who is left standing in the middle next season. Bishop definitely deserves starter consideration!

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barnett is still the better ILB.

Both Hawk and Bishop are benefitting A LOT from Matthews', but specially Raji's play.

But, yeah, Bishop is playing well enough and has shown enough promise IMHO to warrant a new contract.

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All i gotta say is these are situations and dillemmas we want to be in.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I really like about Bishop is he has his head in the game and he has some great hands. To illustrate this, his keeping the ball inbounds on the fumble was fantastic. It was a headsy athletic move. Other times when he makes the tackle, you can see him hit hard with his shoulders, but still able to grab at the ball with his hands.

OP
OP
Mr. StyleZ

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What I really like about Bishop is he has his head in the game and he has some great hands. To illustrate this, his keeping the ball inbounds on the fumble was fantastic. It was a headsy athletic move. Other times when he makes the tackle, you can see him hit hard with his shoulders, but still able to grab at the ball with his hands.

Yea, that is what I was thinking too. It was a VERY heads-up play that doesn't seem like all that big of a deal but it shows his great instincts and intelligence.

bravesman18

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I personally don't see why this has to mean the end of one of these guys starting. I feel like it's as simple as moving either Bishop or Hawk to the starting OLB opposite of Clay Mathews, or even Barnett if anyone feels he's a better fit there. I do understand the OLB in a 3-4 is quite a bit different from the one Hawk played in a 4-3, but I would love to see Hawk over there, with Barnett and Bishop in the middle.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I personally don't see why this has to mean the end of one of these guys starting. I feel like it's as simple as moving either Bishop or Hawk to the starting OLB opposite of Clay Mathews, or even Barnett if anyone feels he's a better fit there. I do understand the OLB in a 3-4 is quite a bit different from the one Hawk played in a 4-3, but I would love to see Hawk over there, with Barnett and Bishop in the middle.
VERY different skill set.

They'd have to be around 20 pounds heavier and excell at rushing the passer.

OLB is more to a DE than to an ILB.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Bishop, keep him and Hawk. Hawk has played GREAT this year. Although it seems hard to justify $10m next year to keep him.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I don't think you can keep both Hawk and Bishop. They're both going to want to start wherever they end up. We can't make that guarantee like other teams could.

Bishop was already getting sick of riding pine, if I remember right, before he was pressed into action. If we give him a taste of being an every down player and then send him back to the bench he won't be pleased.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They will have a nice rotation of Hawk, Bishop and Barnett next season. I like Bishop alot, I think he has enormous upside.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I can't see them keeping all three. Hawk has stepped up his play since all the injuries, but he's commanding a ton of dough. Hopefully Bishop's play helps him realize his value. Else I see one being gone after this year. Yes, they can all be used in sub packages, but they're all too good to be used as situational players. I hope I'm wrong, I'd love to see all three back.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I was thinking about this further, it makes sense to place Bambi Barnett on the outside, which, if I remember right, is his natural position. Bishop is DEFINITELY the best ILB they have. Not sure what chili pepper got in Hawk's pants this year but if he DEMANDS big cash when the time comes, he's gone. Nothing more than just a guy. Seems to have improved his coverage skills somewhat. Bishop has proven his worth, now it is time to give him the position he has rightfully earned.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I was thinking about this further, it makes sense to place Bambi Barnett on the outside, which, if I remember right, is his natural position. Bishop is DEFINITELY the best ILB they have. Not sure what chili pepper got in Hawk's pants this year but if he DEMANDS big cash when the time comes, he's gone. Nothing more than just a guy. Seems to have improved his coverage skills somewhat. Bishop has proven his worth, now it is time to give him the position he has rightfully earned.

I like this post, but I disagree with your take on Hawk. He won't warrant 10 million, but he is a solid player that I hope signs for a smaller contract.

TT missed on Hawk as a game changer, but hit on Matthews; but Hawk is a solid NFL linebacker imo.

Barnett, Hawk, Bishop, Matthews gives us an elite linebacking corps.

skibum55

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barnett is still the better ILB.

Both Hawk and Bishop are benefitting A LOT from Matthews', but specially Raji's play.

But, yeah, Bishop is playing well enough and has shown enough promise IMHO to warrant a new contract.

...which is essential in a solid 3-4 defense. The D Linemen cover the blockers and the LBs cover the QB.

Rodgers2Finley4TDs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like this post, but I disagree with your take on Hawk. He won't warrant 10 million, but he is a solid player that I hope signs for a smaller contract.

TT missed on Hawk as a game changer, but hit on Matthews; but Hawk is a solid NFL linebacker imo.

to me Barnett's natural position would be a 4-3 outside linebacker. That's a lot different than a 3-4 outside backer. Barnett would probably be average as a 3-4 OLB and I would rather try to find a game changer. We already have Matthews lets take it up a few notches and try to be like Pittsburgh where they have Woodley and Harrison, 2 studs.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

TT wasnt the only GM who missed in that draft. From 5th to 32nd I only see 1 player that would have been a much better pick for us, Ngata

Members online

Latest posts