Bills reportedly intend to cut Mario Williams

D

Deleted member 6794

Here's the thing- and the problem for me, Captain. The Davis situation is a good example.
People look to after the fact/benefit of hindsight , in this case how has Davis worked out in the last 8 games. It's not the point. The point is that at the time a proven vet was available for cheap at a position of need on a struggling unit, and TT wouldn't even pick up the phone to inquire about him, by all accounts showing zero interest.
Also, another case of stats proving nothing. Rodgers had the big game vs the Lions; over 20% of his catches and half his yards in that game; 1/4 of his yards on the 'Hail Mary'. And with Rodgers, not Osweiler, as his QB.
Not so hot in that light, huh?

Don't get me wrong, the tight end position for sure lacks talent, Rodgers shouldn't be a starter in this league and I wanted Thompson to inquire about Davis as well. But while Davis is a proven veteran there was concern about his production having declined before the trade deadline and he hasn't been able to improve his performance with another team. So while Thompson failed to upgrade the position during the offseason he was right about not trading for Davis.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, the tight end position for sure lacks talent, Rodgers shouldn't be a starter in this league and I wanted Thompson to inquire about Davis as well. But while Davis is a proven veteran there was concern about his production having declined before the trade deadline and he hasn't been able to improve his performance with another team. So while Thompson failed to upgrade the position during the offseason he was right about not trading for Davis.

Agreed, but again, not the point. It's about at the time, not hindsight. A proven, better than what we have player was available at a position of need on the cheap.
And Ted didn't so much as consider him.

D

Deleted member 6794

Agreed, but again, not the point. It's about at the time, not hindsight. A proven, better than what we have player was available at a position of need on the cheap.

There was concern about Davis drop in performance long before the trade deadline. His play with the Broncos confirmed them to be real in hindsight.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So Ted is wrong bc he was right about VD and you want him to make trades that don't work in our favor ....

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So Ted is wrong bc he was right about VD and you want him to make trades that don't work in our favor ....

Is that what I said? Not even close. Simple point, or at least it should be. You make such decisions at the time without the benefit of hindsight because you can't see into the future. But of course that is interpreted as an attack on TT.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Yes to UFA after the season, no to Mario.
If Teddy wasn't so cheap and grew a pair the Packers could dominate the NFC like the Cowboys did in the 90's but... he's stuck on this draft and develop garbage. The o line is a mess, who the heck are the ilbs?, Wrs arnt any good outside of Cobb who is wayy under utilized, and Rodgers looks at times like he's ready to commit suicide.
:rolleyes: Sure and in your fantasy all the free agents would be all pros.

BTW, I was in favor of acquiring Davis too but anyone who thinks the Packers "didn't look into it" doesn't know what they're talking about IMO. They list an assistant director of pro personnel and two scouts for the pro side - and Eliot Wolf was director of pro personnel. What do you suppose they do?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is that what I said? Not even close. Simple point, or at least it should be. You make such decisions at the time without the benefit of hindsight because you can't see into the future. But of course that is interpreted as an attack on TT.

Unlike the rest of us, Ted makes ALL of his decisions without hindsight. Maybe had good reasons for NOT bringing in Davis ? Maybe he has better foresight than the rest of us? There's nothing hindsight about teds decision

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes to UFA after the season, no to Mario. :rolleyes: Sure and in your fantasy all the free agents would be all pros.

BTW, I was in favor of acquiring Davis too but anyone who thinks the Packers "didn't look into it" doesn't know what they're talking about IMO. They list an assistant director of pro personnel and two scouts for the pro side - and Eliot Wolf was director of pro personnel. What do you suppose they do?

That's based on at least a dozen such reports from various sites from various sources. Which is what we fans have to go on since none of us are in the room.
If that means nobody knows what they're talking about, then fine, we're all idiots.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unlike the rest of us, Ted makes ALL of his decisions without hindsight. Maybe had good reasons for NOT bringing in Davis ? Maybe he has better foresight than the rest of us? There's nothing hindsight about teds decision

Are we even speaking the same language here?
The problem is reports that at the time TT had no interest in Davis.
The issue is what you do or don't do at the time an opportunity presents itself. You don't sit back and wait x amount of time to see how it turns out and then give it thumbs up or down.
That is not a knock on TT.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
That's based on at least a dozen such reports from various sites from various sources. Which is what we fans have to go on since none of us are in the room. If that means nobody knows what they're talking about, then fine, we're all idiots.
Where did I say you are all idiots? The Packers, and every other team likely has a book on all players in the league. Their pro personnel department likely knows about every pro player and every former pro player available. Why wouldn't they since that's their job? There's a difference between the Packers not contacting a team regarding a player and not even considering it. And unless you are on the inside of that portion of the organization, no, you don't know what you are talking about.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I find the timing of this announcement so weird. Why let the league, let along Mario Williams, know he's going to be cut before the season is over? I bet he already has his locker cleaned out.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are we even speaking the same language here?
The problem is reports that at the time TT had no interest in Davis.
The issue is what you do or don't do at the time an opportunity presents itself. You don't sit back and wait x amount of time to see how it turns out and then give it thumbs up or down.
That is not a knock on TT.
Evidently not, apparently Ted had no interest in him, and it seems with good reason, probably because he already knew he wasn't worth it. He didn't have to inquire about a trade for a player he had zero interest in. Why would he?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Which doesn't leave us much to talk about on fan boards.
Sure it does. We can still debate whether or not it would have been a good move to acquire him. Even when there are reports of interest by the Packers and they don't acquire the player we can debate whether or not they should have offered more, etc. We can still discuss outcomes without statements regarding what went on inside 1265 which we can't know.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure it does. We can still debate whether or not it would have been a good move to acquire him. Even when there are reports of interest by the Packers and they don't acquire the player we can debate whether or not they should have offered more, etc. We can still discuss outcomes without statements regarding what went on inside 1265 which we can't know.

Works for me.

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score

Just because it wasn't in the news doesn't nescessarily mean the FO (TT) didn't consider bringing in VD, however most likely scouting reports/ feedback/ forecast(s) on The player came back negative, hence (probably) why a formal inquiry wasn't made ...

Latest posts