Bills reportedly intend to cut Mario Williams

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd put this in "other teams" but it'd get buried too quickly.

This is intriguing:
Williams signed a massive, six-year, $100 million contract with the Bills in 2012 after playing his first six NFL seasons with the Houston Texans. However, he has reportedly not enjoyed playing in new head coach Rex Ryan’s defensive scheme, which features the blitz more than in just obvious pass rushing situations like third and long.
Williams at this stage in his career would prefer to play as a situational pass rusher, improving his effectiveness as well as possibly lengthening his NFL career.
http://fansided.com/2015/12/31/buffalo-bills-cut-mario-williams/
"Williams is set make an $11.5 million base salary next year."
"Williams has become expendable because his contract is deemed to be too expensive, and also because he has struggled to make the transition to the defensive system introduced by first-year coach Rex Ryan. Williams has two years left on the six-year, $100 million contract he signed in free agency in 2012." -- http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...n-cut-high-priced-de-mario-williams-offseason

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It'll never happen. With peppers already making a large amount next season I don't see it. Packers need a stud at ilb more than anything. I'd trade our entire draft fir Kuechley .

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see Ted Thompson going after him either but it is an intriguing idea. Williams is 4 years younger than Julius Peppers, though, and it seems to me likely that "Pep" won't be brought back in 2016 because of age. They may also figure usually injured Nick Perry has done all he ever will for the club and have free agency for B.J. Raji.

Peppers, Raji and Perry combine for a current cap hit of $16.05 million, with Peppers alone at $12 million so jettisoning those three could create space for Williams in Green Bay.

I'd have to know more about whether Mario's decline is due to his situation in Buffalo or a sign that he's hit the wall in his career, though, before advocating for him with the Packers. But on the surface it doesn't look a whole lot different than the situation in 2014 with Peppers.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Highly unlikely, but Mario is at least somewhat in the mold of a TT type of free agent. Over 30 vet that could use a career rejuvenation and a ring. This would be a Julius for Mario swap essentially.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Some people can be so demanding. You want professional football players that can play too... I suppose ... sheesh, what's next? Flush toilets?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like all he wants to do is put his hand down and rush the qb, I'm guessing he'll have interest from enough 4-3 teams to choose from

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd put this in "other teams" but it'd get buried too quickly.

Then why dont we have a section for stuff to not get buried? Id love to post some stuff on this part of the forum that I think is intriguing but not packer related but I cant because Mods will just move it.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Id love to post some stuff on this part of the forum that I think is intriguing but not packer related

Easy enough to make anything "Packer Related".

Has anyone heard if Aaron Rodgers has seen the new Star Wars movie and what were his thoughts on it? How about yours?
:coffee:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From what I've read though, Williams isn't big into a 3-4 defense
This is all quite interesting. I thought the same thing. But is it possible that Capers may retire after this season and we could get a different DC who would turn us back to a 4-3? It happens in the NFL.

D

Deleted member 6794

There's no reason to even think about bringing in a guy who seemed to have quit on his team for whatever reasons.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Teddy wasn't so cheap and grew a pair the Packers could dominate the NFC like the Cowboys did in the 90's but... he's stuck on this draft and develop garbage. The o line is a mess, who the heck are the ilbs?, Wrs arnt any good outside of Cobb who is wayy under utilized, and Rodgers looks at times like he's ready to commit suicide.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
This is all quite interesting. I thought the same thing. But is it possible that Capers may retire after this season and we could get a different DC who would turn us back to a 4-3? It happens in the NFL.

Oh sure, anything is possible. If Capers retirement were to occur though, I'd bet on the current LB's/Associate Head Coach replacing him and the 3-4 (which I don't like) would remain. I'm purely speculating of course.

D

Deleted member 6794

If Teddy wasn't so cheap and grew a pair the Packers could dominate the NFC like the Cowboys did in the 90's but... he's stuck on this draft and develop garbage. The o line is a mess, who the heck are the ilbs?, Wrs arnt any good outside of Cobb who is wayy under utilized, and Rodgers looks at times like he's ready to commit suicide.

I've been critical of Thompson as well but there was no way he could have predicted the offensive line being such a mess after the way they performed in the second half of 2014 nor that the receivers won't be able to get open or catch the ball.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

How dare you get me all excited like that! I think the defense could definitely use a fresh new face and younger blood calling the shots.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been critical of Thompson as well but there was no way he could have predicted the offensive line being such a mess after the way they performed in the second half of 2014 nor that the receivers won't be able to get open or catch the ball.

Guys havnt been able to catch the ball or get open ALL season. There were guys out there to be had. The Vernon Davis thing really angers me because that was an immediate upgrade to your offense, and a position that quite frankly is the second weakest link on the entire offense besides LT. Rogers and Quarless are both career backups at best on any other team. Tom Brady is able to have average Wrs because he's got Gronk who demands So much attention and Edelman who is New England's version of Cobb but used more effectively on offense.

D

Deleted member 6794

Guys havnt been able to catch the ball or get open ALL season. There were guys out there to be had. The Vernon Davis thing really angers me because that was an immediate upgrade to your offense, and a position that quite frankly is the second weakest link on the entire offense besides LT. Rogers and Quarless are both career backups at best on any other team. Tom Brady is able to have average Wrs because he's got Gronk who demands So much attention and Edelman who is New England's version of Cobb but used more effectively on offense.

I was disappointed that Thompson didn't even inquire with the Niners about Davis as well but to be fair let's take a look at his production with the Broncos. Over the last eight games he has caught 20 passes for 201 yards and no TDs. Rodgers has 28 receptions for 246 yards and five TDs during the same span.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you're mad at our receivers for key drops..you might not want to watch Vernon's tape since he got to Denver.

Don't get too ahead of yourself with all your optimism and blind faith in TT;)

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Or TT and the Packers could build a similar team like the one that Jerry Jones has built down in Dallas with all his free agent signings.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was disappointed that Thompson didn't even inquire with the Niners about Davis as well but to be fair let's take a look at his production with the Broncos. Over the last eight games he has caught 20 passes for 201 yards and no TDs. Rodgers has 28 receptions for 246 yards and five TDs during the same span.

Here's the thing- and the problem for me, Captain. The Davis situation is a good example.
People look to after the fact/benefit of hindsight , in this case how has Davis worked out in the last 8 games. It's not the point. The point is that at the time a proven vet was available for cheap at a position of need on a struggling unit, and TT wouldn't even pick up the phone to inquire about him, by all accounts showing zero interest.
Also, another case of stats proving nothing. Rodgers had the big game vs the Lions; over 20% of his catches and half his yards in that game; 1/4 of his yards on the 'Hail Mary'. And with Rodgers, not Osweiler, as his QB.
Not so hot in that light, huh?

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The issue there is that players really can't be plugged into the offense here. Maybe the TE route tree is less demanding, but it's tough to imagine him getting enough of a grasp on the playbook to receive much playing time.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The issue there is that players really can't be plugged into the offense here. Maybe the TE route tree is less demanding, but it's tough to imagine him getting enough of a grasp on the playbook to receive much playing time.

A proven top shelf player can step in and play well anywhere from day one.
If the playbook here is so special, why do we have so many blown routes /assignments from a group featuring almost all guys who have been here at least two seasons?

Members online

Latest posts