1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon...

Bill Polian on Ted Thompson: "Fans should applaud him"

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Shawnsta3, Mar 24, 2013.

1. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    If yards allowed is your only barometer, then yes. If you go by points allowed, we were middle of the pack.

• Old Old x 1
  2. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,042
    Or by play making ability (forced turn overs) we were near the top if I recall correctly.

From now on I should just respond to that blanket statement based on yrds by saying we had a great defense based on turnovers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. HyponGrey

HyponGrey Caseus Locutus Est

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Not from the Metro are we?

4. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    13 Times Champs- Go ahead and flag my posts as old if you like but I'm right on both counts. A GM's job is to make sure teams have the necessary talent to be in contention year after year, and you'd be hard pressed to argue Polian wasn't successful in accomplishing that goal.

As for our defense, facts are facts. At the time, we gave up the most yards in NFL history, but were middle of the league in terms of points allowed, and as Ivo correctly pointed out, we also led the league in turnovers. That's not the marker of either a horrible or a great defense to me. That's the marker of a mediocre defense, which is more or less what we had.

• Old Old x 1
  5. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    Nope. Also, they play in New Jersey, so calling them the "New York" whatever is inaccurate.

6. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,379
    Actually mediocre is ok with me. I won't split hairs between horrible and mediocre. :)

No, the goal is to win the Super Bowl. Polian won one Championship in 11 years I believe. In my opinion, he should not be the lightning rod for success (as I have previously pointed out). I hope Thompson's legacy is better than his.

7. realcaliforniacheese

realcaliforniacheese A-Rods Boss

Ratings:
    +965
    Every time I hear that I think of Jonestown.

8. HyponGrey

HyponGrey Caseus Locutus Est

Ratings:
    +1,030
    So do the Jets, and IIRC the Jets played there first. North Jersey is all Jets and Giants fans, South Jersey is dominated by the Eagles.

9. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    Of course the GOAL is to win the Super Bowl. That's the GOAL of every team in the league. However, that's not what we're talking about. We're talking about the GM's JOB, (Read: Not their goal,) which is to assemble a team that puts them in contention to compete to win a Super Bowl every year. There's no logical argument that can be made, none whatsoever, that Polian wasn't successful in keeping the Colts in contention every year.

10. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,379
    Maybe that's what you're talking about but it isn't what started this seemingly endless dialogue. See my posts # 8, 10 and 13 in this thread. Pretty clear I was speaking in the context of winning the entire enchilada. That's how I measure success.