Bill Polian on Ted Thompson: "Fans should applaud him"

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't we set a record back in 2011 that the Saint's (not to be outdone) broke this year for statistically worst defense in NFL history?

If yards allowed is your only barometer, then yes. If you go by points allowed, we were middle of the pack.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If yards allowed is your only barometer, then yes. If you go by points allowed, we were middle of the pack.

Or by play making ability (forced turn overs) we were near the top if I recall correctly.

From now on I should just respond to that blanket statement based on yrds by saying we had a great defense based on turnovers.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
13 Times Champs- Go ahead and flag my posts as old if you like but I'm right on both counts. A GM's job is to make sure teams have the necessary talent to be in contention year after year, and you'd be hard pressed to argue Polian wasn't successful in accomplishing that goal.

As for our defense, facts are facts. At the time, we gave up the most yards in NFL history, but were middle of the league in terms of points allowed, and as Ivo correctly pointed out, we also led the league in turnovers. That's not the marker of either a horrible or a great defense to me. That's the marker of a mediocre defense, which is more or less what we had.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
13 Times Champs- Go ahead and flag my posts as old if you like but I'm right on both counts. A GM's job is to make sure teams have the necessary talent to be in contention year after year, and you'd be hard pressed to argue Polian wasn't successful in accomplishing that goal.

As for our defense, facts are facts. At the time, we gave up the most yards in NFL history, but were middle of the league in terms of points allowed, and as Ivo correctly pointed out, we also led the league in turnovers. That's not the marker of either a horrible or a great defense to me. That's the marker of a mediocre defense, which is more or less what we had.

Actually mediocre is ok with me. I won't split hairs between horrible and mediocre. :)

No, the goal is to win the Super Bowl. Polian won one Championship in 11 years I believe. In my opinion, he should not be the lightning rod for success (as I have previously pointed out). I hope Thompson's legacy is better than his.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually mediocre is ok with me. I won't split hairs between horrible and mediocre. :)

No, the goal is to win the Super Bowl. Polian won one Championship in 11 years I believe. In my opinion, he should not be the lightning rod for success (as I have previously pointed out). I hope Thompson's legacy is better than his.

Of course the GOAL is to win the Super Bowl. That's the GOAL of every team in the league. However, that's not what we're talking about. We're talking about the GM's JOB, (Read: Not their goal,) which is to assemble a team that puts them in contention to compete to win a Super Bowl every year. There's no logical argument that can be made, none whatsoever, that Polian wasn't successful in keeping the Colts in contention every year.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course the GOAL is to win the Super Bowl. That's the GOAL of every team in the league. However, that's not what we're talking about. We're talking about the GM's JOB, (Read: Not their goal,) which is to assemble a team that puts them in contention to compete to win a Super Bowl every year. There's no logical argument that can be made, none whatsoever, that Polian wasn't successful in keeping the Colts in contention every year.

Maybe that's what you're talking about but it isn't what started this seemingly endless dialogue. See my posts # 8, 10 and 13 in this thread. Pretty clear I was speaking in the context of winning the entire enchilada. That's how I measure success.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts