Bill Polian on Ted Thompson: "Fans should applaud him"

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
To be fair, since TT started in 2005 there are only three teams with more playoff appearances, New England and Indy with seven and Baltimore with six. In the NFC we tied with the Giants at five.

If we rate "build through the draft" on Super Bowl rings only then the Pats are a good example. If you rate it as "consistent playoff appearances" then you can argue how many teams made the playoffs more, BTTD or higher-percentage FA perhaps.

H

HardRightEdge

Over his first 10 seasons as a GM, Ozzie Newsome had a record of maintaining competitiveness through the draft.

Now, he's cleaning house on a Super Bowl winning defense and reloading through free agency.

Newsome is not entrenched in a fixed methodology; he's adapting to circumstances.

OP
OP
Shawnsta3

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Over his first 10 seasons as a GM, Ozzie Newsome had a record of maintaining competitiveness through the draft.

Now, he's cleaning house on a Super Bowl winning defense and reloading through free agency.

Newsome is not entrenched in a fixed methodology; he's adapting to circumstances.
We'll see how this new strategy works out. I am not as confident in it as you seem to be. Not many teams can successfully " reload" through free agency, but that being said If there was one Newsome could be your guy.

Btw if they were so cash strapped that they had to backload the hell out of Flacco's contract how'd they get the money for Dumervil? They can only keep backloading and putting off players contracts for so long.

H

HardRightEdge

We'll see how this new strategy works out. I am not as confident in it as you seem to be. Not many teams can successfully " reload" through free agency, but that being said If there was one Newsome could be your guy.

Did I express confidence it would work? No, I did not. My sentiment is more accurately reflected in your second sentence. Newsome's change in strategy to fit the circumstances is as valid as Bill Polian's "stay the course". The proof is in the putting. Belichick has demonstrated success with his FA revolving door nearly every season with all manner of vets coming and going.

Btw if they were so cash strapped that they had to backload the hell out of Flacco's contract how'd they get the money for Dumervil?

All contracts of this size are back loaded. Wait until you see Rodgers/Matthews...if they both get done this off season, in combination they will be the mother of all back loads. There's no avoiding it.

Dumervil? Perhaps Ozzie did not see the value in the players he released/lost in FA/traded relative to what they were asking? Perhaps Ray Lewis' retirement presented an opportunity to break up an aging and/or overvalued "posse"? Ozzie cleared cap space to reload his defense, not just to pay Flacco...Dumervil, Chris Canty, Marcus Spears, and perhaps a linebacker to be named later...he's still $8 mil under the cap plus whatever else he gains releasing anybody else. I guess Brad Jones got away. :laugh:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Where did I compare?
I thought it was obvious I was joking since I’m fairly confident neither of us has “done it” in the NFL and of course you didn’t compare Super Bowl titles since you don’t have any. No one has the last word on evaluating GMs but Polian has actually “been there” and “done that”, so IMO his opinion should be given more respect than the opinions of those of us who haven’t, even if you don’t agree with it.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought it was obvious I was joking since I’m fairly confident neither of us has “done it” in the NFL and of course you didn’t compare Super Bowl titles since you don’t have any. No one has the last word on evaluating GMs but Polian has actually “been there” and “done that”, so IMO his opinion should be given more respect than the opinions of those of us who haven’t, even if you don’t agree with it.

Gotcha. Fair enough! :cool:

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
None.. But with 7ilb on the roster, TT just overspent
It's quality not quantity. I think the Packers have some concerns about the health of some of those ILB and others are special teamers and not considered reliable starters.
People call TT a cheapskate for not signing FAs then once he does he overspent. There's no satisfying some people.

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's quality not quantity. I think the Packers have some concerns about the health of some of those ILB and others are special teamers and not considered reliable starters.
People call TT a cheapskate for not signing FAs then once he does he overspent. There's no satisfying some people.
Where's the quality in signing jones? If all goes according to "plan" jones will be sitting on the bench again and I'm much higher on manning than most.. Finley was another case of overspending but made sense and was justifiable.. One year left so its a contract year in which players tend to play harder and hes a player that has potential to take over a game and we've witnessed it.. He overspent but that was no doubt the right move in that circumstance.. Jones was unjustifiable and you won't convince me other wise because you can't

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Where's the quality in signing jones? If all goes according to "plan" jones will be sitting on the bench again and I'm much higher on manning than most.. Finley was another case of overspending but made sense and was justifiable.. One year left so its a contract year in which players tend to play harder and hes a player that has potential to take over a game and we've witnessed it.. He overspent but that was no doubt the right move in that circumstance.. Jones was unjustifiable and you won't convince me other wise because you can't
I'm not trying to but can you at least consider that the FO may not be as high on the health of Bishop and/or Smith? You know, they were buying insurance for those injuries to linger? It may be that the Packers value Jones higher than either of those two because of his ability in coverage.
If they're not convinced either of those others are not going to be ready by the start of training camp it makes sense to resign a starter. I agree with that Manning may be an answer but it's too early to tell.

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not trying to but can you at least consider that the FO may not be as high on the health of Bishop and/or Smith? You know, they were buying insurance for those injuries to linger? It may be that the Packers value Jones higher than either of those two because of his ability in coverage.
If they're not convinced either of those others are not going to be ready by the start of training camp it makes sense to resign a starter. I agree with that Manning may be an answer but it's too early to tell.
Ok I see your point and its a valid one we can agree on that.. I guess I woulda rolled the dice and assumed one of the two would be ready and/or manning would take that next step.. We have 5 guys playing for 1 spot essentially because you know hawks not going anywhere.. It's a risk I would have taken but I see where you are coming from bro

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Ok I see your point and its a valid one we can agree on that.. I guess I woulda rolled the dice and assumed one of the two would be ready and/or manning would take that next step.. We have 5 guys playing for 1 spot essentially because you know hawks not going anywhere.. It's a risk I would have taken but I see where you are coming from bro
Yes, for all you and I know one will be ready but otherwise the signing doesn't make alot of sense, that's why I'm inclined to believe there's something we don't know. Perhaps TT has some shrewd move in mind for one of them. I'll admit I'm excited to see what Manning has though. He did move up to get him.

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, for all you and I know one will be ready but otherwise the signing doesn't make alot of sense, that's why I'm inclined to believe there's something we don't know. Perhaps TT has some shrewd move in mind for one of them. I'll admit I'm excited to see what Manning has though. He did move up to get him.
I know jerron, played and trained with him while he was goin into Maine..talked to him this offseason and he said manning is a freaking BEAST.. If it wasn't for whatever happened in training camp, he though there was no doubt manning would've been starting by mid season.. Take it for what you want but that ish got me excited!!

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've played against Daniels and raji when he was a senior.. Daniels can be a bully there but too short to ever be a full time starter but as a pash rusher, dude can move people with his leverage.. Like I said before I still believe we have the squad to take another chip and I won't let anyone outside of packer fans tell me different.. being in jersey I get A LOT of ish from "fans" about how we aren't going anywhere or making the playoffs blah blah blah and I defens TT till I'm blue in the face because we are the "DEFINITION" of consistency..I just bring my criticism here because y'all are fellow pack fans.. Go pack freaking go!!!

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I know jerron, played and trained with him while he was goin into Maine..talked to him this offseason and he said manning is a freaking BEAST.. If it wasn't for whatever happened in training camp, he though there was no doubt manning would've been starting by mid season.. Take it for what you want but that ish got me excited!!
I agree, you've got me all drooling now. He was a pretty sick guy and it was kind of amazing he was available all that time. It's why I kind of wonder why so many mocks have the Packers drafting a MLB. I just don't see the need.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I've played against Daniels and raji when he was a senior.. Daniels can be a bully there but too short to ever be a full time starter but as a pash rusher, dude can move people with his leverage.. Like I said before I still believe we have the squad to take another chip and I won't let anyone outside of packer fans tell me different.. being in jersey I get A LOT of ish from "fans" about how we aren't going anywhere or making the playoffs blah blah blah and I defens TT till I'm blue in the face because we are the "DEFINITION" of consistency..I just bring my criticism here because y'all are fellow pack fans.. Go pack freaking go!!!
I hear ya. We can complain amongst ourselves but if some fan from another team states the obvious he's trolling!!! lol.
I have no doubt the Packers have the talent to make a run. I'd just like to see what they can do with one lucky year without a billion injuries. Not an excuse but you have to know it would help the cause.

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hear ya. We can complain amongst ourselves but if some fan from another team states the obvious he's trolling!!! lol.
I have no doubt the Packers have the talent to make a run. I'd just like to see what they can do with one lucky year without a billion injuries. Not an excuse but you have to know it would help the cause.
Exactly! If we get an injury free season, we are 2011 minus the giants meltdown.. How outsiders can call us irrelevant blows my freaking mind.. We were 15-2 it just so happens our 2nd loss came at the wrong time and place but make no mistake we were clearly the best team in the nfl..add up the giants wins including the playoffs and it still didnt add up to us..kinda off topic but somewhat relevant is the whole Canty debate about the bad knee and he didn't pass our physical or whatever.. I find it funny and ironic that he couldn't clear ours, but we've been the most injured team two of the last three years..we can't even keep our own players on the field, seems like we should be the last one failing someone' else's physical.. And we were the ONLY team whose physical he failed..maybe we've got it figured out this year lol

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Manning was a Special Teams DEMON by the end of the year. Those hits he dished out were savage, and he flew down the field like a wild man.

I've played against Daniels and Raji when he was a senior.. Daniels can be a bully there but too short to ever be a full time starter but as a pass rusher, dude can move people with his leverage.. Like I said before I still believe we have the squad to take another chip and I won't let anyone outside of packer fans tell me different.. being in jersey I get A LOT of ish from "fans" about how we aren't going anywhere or making the playoffs blah blah blah and I defend TT till I'm blue in the face because we are the "DEFINITION" of consistency..I just bring my criticism here because y'all are fellow pack fans.. Go pack freaking go!!!
TELL ME ABOUT IT. Giants fans have been the worst. It's refreshing to see all the Packers gear in NJ lately, even Garda said he's seen our fans talking on the corners. Which school were you? Longshot, but I may have seen that game.

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bro living here is the reason I can't stand the New York effing football giants.. There may be nothing in this world I dislike more.. The fare weather fans that are here are unreal and because of 2 lucky *** runs, they refuse to see how mediocre their team really is.. It's the vain of my frustration in life lol.. I went to Paterson catholic before they closed down.. Had to cover mr. Cruz in the slot, I knew then he would probly make it and I still talk to him whenever he's back home..we still play random pick up games at east side I just hate that he's a ****ing giant lol .. My grandfather was the coach there so I was always around Paterson catholic when they were winning championships seemingly every year..he's got a ring for every finger including thumbs.. Played against Cushing before and after he started juicing..dude was a cupcake before he found hgh and he didn't care who knew he was on it..he was a herb ***.. I played for the jersey stags after h.s.. Shoulda taken it to the next level but life hit..I coulda been the solution to our safety problem, Joking, but serious lol

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2nd I believe

Sometimes I wonder if our coaching staff has underperformed ... I am not ready to make that statement, it's just something I ponder time to time. But Favre was Favre in the playoffs. 09 was on the players n refs (missed facemask, missing connection to Jennings). 11 and 12 we were left in shock at the end of the season. So maybe it's more recent. I still feel the 9ers were top to bottom the better team. The giants? Not as much.

Forderick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bro living here is the reason I can't stand the New York effing football giants.. There may be nothing in this world I dislike more.. The fare weather fans that are here are unreal and because of 2 lucky *** runs, they refuse to see how mediocre their team really is.. It's the vain of my frustration in life lol..

It might have been lucky but the packers lost to those "lucky" Giants both times. And the 2nd time got beat quite soundly I might add.

I could make a case how the packers went on 1 lucky ******** run and packer fans fail to see how mediocre the team really is. Not only have they lost the last 2 years in the playoffs, they looked lost and really bad. I don't mind losing but at least make the other team earn the win.

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It might have been lucky but the packers lost to those "lucky" Giants both times. And the 2nd time got beat quite soundly I might add.

I could make a case how the packers went on 1 lucky ******** run and packer fans fail to see how mediocre the team really is. Not only have they lost the last 2 years in the playoffs, they looked lost and really bad. I don't mind losing but at least make the other team earn the win.
I'd argue we were mediocre too if that were the case but it isn't. When you follow a Super Bowl win with a 15-2 recond and go 12-4 in reality the following year, that's NOT mediocre that's consistancy.. When your the giants and win the Super Bowl with a 9-7 record and I tell those fans that repeating that wont reap the same results, and you follow that season with just that, a 9-7 season and miss the playoffs. That's mediocre.. Not a bad team but a middle of the pack mediocre team.. We are NOT that my friend, sorry lol

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts