Biggest Pet Peeves regarding the Green Bay Packers

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Still love this!!! Oh do we as Packers fans know the feeling!

LOL! Say ... when Ted was watching that, do you suppose the cigar he was smoking was a Cuban? He probably had his penny loafers propped up on the ottoman and started whistling songs or something. Hilarious.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trading up to get Matthews was a great move. I guess you could make some kind of twisted argument that had they handled Favres departure more appropriately and wound up with more compensation (along with NOT being dishonest and ******), they would not have traded up to get him. Maybe they wouldnt have had to trade up. But trying the Favre fiasco to Matthews is a real real stretch. I think them TT apologists ( on this matter) mix up the right of the franchise to choose their future QB, with the obligation to conduct itself in an ethical and above board manner. That's where GB as a franchise gave up its claim to be "special".
It boggles my mind how fan loyalty becomes so focused that it becomes completely oblivious to anything negative regarding their hero. Ignorance remains bliss, I guess.

Last edited:

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL! Say ... when Ted was watching that, do you suppose the cigar he was smoking was a Cuban? He probably had his penny loafers propped up on the ottoman and started whistling songs or something. Hilarious.
Understood. To be fair/balanced, TT's eyes were bugging out of his head when Favre beat his team twice and made it to the NFC Championship that season. Particularly that GB was 6-10 and didn't make the playoffs. Just keeping things in perspective. Without Favre, Minnesota does not achieve what they did.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Understood. To be fair/balanced, TT's eyes were bugging out of his head when Favre beat his team twice and made it to the NFC Championship that season. Particularly that GB was 6-10 and didn't make the playoffs. Just keeping things in perspective. Without Favre, Minnesota does not achieve what they did.

True. On the other hand, even a rookie QB would never have been foolish enough to throw that inexplicable pass across his body for an easy pick while already in FG range in the NFC Championship Game in the closing seconds.

You always got the bad with the good in Favre's later years. He was a big reason we got the NFC Championship in 2007, and also a big reason that we didn't win it. He helped us get to the Super Bowl in the 90's, and might have kept us from getting back in the 00's.

The Vikings got him because they felt they were within a Super Bowl window and in the end, they fell short of this goal. They learned that the most important thing to Favre was to be in the spotlight and make the game deciding play, whether good or bad.

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True. On the other hand, even a rookie QB would never have been foolish enough to throw that inexplicable pass across his body for an easy pick while already in FG range in the NFC Championship Game in the closing seconds.

You always got the bad with the good in Favre's later years. He was a big reason we got the NFC Championship in 2007, and also a big reason that we didn't win it. He helped us get to the Super Bowl in the 90's, and might have kept us from getting back in the 00's.

The Vikings got him because they felt they were within a Super Bowl window and in the end, they fell short of this goal. They learned that the most important thing to Favre was to be in the spotlight and make the game deciding play, whether good or bad.
Agree. Much nicer to have a discussion without being called a ball licker!

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The fact is, as he got later in his career he didn't have much of a game without forcing of the ball all over the place. I've maintained for years that there are many QBs in the NFL that could look just like BrentINT did later in his career if they played just as reckless. Most QBs understand however that at some point in time, regardless of how many times you get lucky pulling that, you are going to lose big.

The last few years of having FareverINT in GB were by far the most painful years I had as a sports fan following any of my hometown teams. It was brutal knowing that he was more than likely going to kill you when you needed a play most. My "favorite" of all time was the Giants playoff game when he threw to literally the ONLY guy on the field that was NOT open!!! lol CLASSIC BreNTfvrINT

... then....like he would always do....his press conference after he'd gag -YET AGAIN- would just be some total and complete BS.... "Would I like to have that throw back? Sure, but there were a lot of plays we could have made in that game that would have put us ahead and we wouldn't have even had to have been in that position".

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The fact is, as he got later in his career he didn't have much of a game without forcing of the ball all over the place. I've maintained for years that there are many QBs in the NFL that could look just like BrentINT did later in his career if they played just as reckless. Most QBs understand however that at some point in time, regardless of how many times you get lucky pulling that, you are going to lose big.

The last few years of having FareverINT in GB were by far the most painful years I had as a sports fan following any of my hometown teams. It was brutal knowing that he was more than likely going to kill you when you needed a play most. My "favorite" of all time was the Giants playoff game when he threw to literally the ONLY guy on the field that was NOT open!!! lol CLASSIC BreNTfvrINT

... then....like he would always do....his press conference after he'd gag -YET AGAIN- would just be some total and complete BS.... "Would I like to have that throw back? Sure, but there were a lot of plays we could have made in that game that would have put us ahead and we wouldn't have even had to have been in that position".

I agree with that last statement completely. I promise teammates are going to respect a leader that takes responsibility there. Not one who states the obvious that many plays could have made a difference in a game. Brett, you know damn well that you would have been reveling in the media attention and glory of it all had you made a play there, so man up and take some responsibility when you don't.

Contrary to popular belief, he was the last guy you wanted in there with the game on the line in January. Poor MM was hamstrung by the guy late in his career. He couldn't bench him, he's a legend. And he was having a great year. But he was also going to be Brett and blow it, given enough chances to do so. There was nothing MM could do to prevent it without making a decision that could have led to the entire fanbase screaming for his firing.

I also hated how the guy acted like he was above it all, and I didn't even like it when he was a Packer.

"Oh, look at me, I'm going to give the referee a hard whack. Why? Because I'm Brett Favre and I can. Look at all this snow! I'm going to make snowballs and start chucking them at the officials and laugh like I'm a 9 year old playing with my kids. Could you get away with that? I didn't think so. "

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with that last statement completely. I promise teammates are going to respect a leader that takes responsibility there. Not one who states the obvious that many plays could have made a difference in a game. Brett, you know damn well that you would have been reveling in the media attention and glory of it all had you made a play there, so man up and take some responsibility when you don't.

Contrary to popular belief, he was the last guy you wanted in there with the game on the line in January. Poor MM was hamstrung by the guy late in his career. He couldn't bench him, he's a legend. And he was having a great year. But he was also going to be Brett and blow it, given enough chances to do so. There was nothing MM could do to prevent it without making a decision that could have led to the entire fanbase screaming for his firing.

I also hated how the guy acted like he was above it all, and I didn't even like it when he was a Packer.

"Oh, look at me, I'm going to give the referee a hard whack. Why? Because I'm Brett Favre and I can. Look at all this snow! I'm going to make snowballs and start chucking them at the officials and laugh like I'm a 9 year old playing with my kids. Could you get away with that? I didn't think so. "
It is interesting how some of you claim the team won the games during the Favre era, however, Favre single handedly lost the games when GB went down. Is this a fair assessment? Just asking?

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is interesting how some of you claim the team won the games during the Favre era, however, Favre single handedly lost the games when GB went down. Is this a fair assessment? Just asking?

When he was good, early on, he was very good. I have not seen anyone here dispute that.

To answer your question... yes... it's a totally fair assessment to say that later in his career that was exactly the case. Very seldom later in his career did INTbreNt play a controlled game where he was the one "positive" deciding factor. Very seldom did he kck *** and take names and not hurt the team as much as he "helped" the team.

It was like a switch went off at some point in his career and he was consistently playing wild and gagging.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

OCBP -- in my honest opinion, to clarify my position, Favre had the ability, even much in his later years, to play QB at a high level. He was no longer in mid 90's form, for sure, and he'd have his off years, but his better years were still better than most. I'm not a Favre fan, for sure, but I'm not going to try to say that his regular season performance as a Viking in 2009 wasn't an impressive season at a very high level.

He also later on his career seemed to have a tendency to perform poorly in playoff games. I believe this came from a number of factors -- first, pressure. For whatever reason, perhaps because he may have felt like each opportunity may be his last, he seemed to crack under the pressure of playoff intensity.

I also think that later on in his career, particularly under the youth movement of the Packers later on, Favre did not have the trust in his teammates that he had in the 90's. Therefore he more often forced himself to try to make ill-advised plays in crunch time -- without that trust, he may have felt it was him or nobody that was going to make a play.

And while not a factor in every game, I do think that the weather in the NFC Championship Game in 2007-08 certainly affected the performance of a player his age.

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When he was good, early on, he was very good. I have not seen anyone here dispute that.

To answer your question... yes... it's a totally fair assessment to say that later in his career that was exactly the case. Very seldom later in his career did INTbreNt play a controlled game where he was the one "positive" deciding factor. Very seldom did he kck *** and take names and not hurt the team as much as he "helped" the team.

It was like a switch went off at some point in his career and he was consistently playing wild and gagging.
Fair enough. Another question--We talk about Favre not being in the HOF--Agree. However, in 16 years of being the QB in GB, will there another Packer inducted into the HOF during that same stretch?

I say no. How about Starr, Bradshaw, Montana, Aikman and Griese. I would suggest that Favre and Marino had less overall talent related to offensive skill positions and, as a result, the teams relied heavily on the QB to lead. Does this lack of HOF talent fall on the GM or was it part of the player selection strategy knowing that the QB could carry the team?

Brady and Brees fall into this category of today's players. Just asking?

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OCBP -- in my honest opinion, to clarify my position, Favre had the ability, even much in his later years, to play QB at a high level. He was no longer in mid 90's form, for sure, and he'd have his off years, but his better years were still better than most. I'm not a Favre fan, for sure, but I'm not going to try to say that his regular season performance as a Viking in 2009 wasn't an impressive season at a very high level.

He also later on his career seemed to have a tendency to perform poorly in playoff games. I believe this came from a number of factors -- first, pressure. For whatever reason, perhaps because he may have felt like each opportunity may be his last, he seemed to crack under the pressure of playoff intensity.

I also think that later on in his career, particularly under the youth movement of the Packers later on, Favre did not have the trust in his teammates that he had in the 90's. Therefore he more often forced himself to try to make ill-advised plays in crunch time -- without that trust, he may have felt it was him or nobody that was going to make a play.

And while not a factor in every game, I do think that the weather in the NFC Championship Game in 2007-08 certainly affected the performance of a player his age.
Solid assessment and I agree!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

To be fair and balanced

Most of Packer nation laughed and enjoyed the Farve int...Minny now knew how Pack fans have felt the last 6 years he was in GB..Could show how great he was, but then-----hearts were broken..

The 6-10 season didnt bother anyone anymore...The Favre int cured them..

So Favre fans can bring up the 6-10 season all they want...The rebuttal will be the int in the NFCCG

Last edited:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Therefore he more often forced himself to try to make ill-advised plays in crunch time -- without that trust, he may have felt it was him or nobody that was going to make a play.

I took out one sentence..What remains, I would agree with.

His play suffered towards end of Sherman's last years, and I say because he did what he wanted, and veered away from Sherman's plans...Sherman couldnt/wouldnt/ tell Brett he was wrong.

Then MM comes in, he wanted Brett to play with in the system and what happened? He had one of his best in 07

If MM was the coach in 2001 and on, we may have seen Brett have better playoff games

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be fair and balanced

Most of Packer nation laughed and enjoyed the Farve int...They now know how Pack fans have felt the last 6 years he was in GB..Could show how great he was, but then-----hearts were broken..

So Favre fans can bring up the 6-10 season all they want...The rebuttal will be the int in the NFCCG
So I understand, a 6-10 season is more appreciated than a NFC Championship appearance because Favre threw a late interception for the Vikings? Okay Boss.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Fair enough. Another question--We talk about Favre not being in the HOF--Agree. However, in 16 years of being the QB in GB, will there another Packer inducted into the HOF during that same stretch?

I say no. How about Starr, Bradshaw, Montana, Aikman and Griese. I would suggest that Favre and Marino had less overall talent related to offensive skill positions and, as a result, the teams relied heavily on the QB to lead. Does this lack of HOF talent fall on the GM or was it part of the player selection strategy knowing that the QB could carry the team?

Brady and Brees fall into this category of today's players. Just asking?

There wont be another Packer from 92-2007 go into the HOF--Reggie was only one..

DD wont make it and I do not think anyone else was deserving..

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
So I understand, a 6-10 season is more appreciated than a NFC Championship appearance because Favre threw a late interception for the Vikings? Okay Boss.

I never said that it was more appreciated? Please dont twist to suit your argument.

We can discuss this all day, but if your going to add words to my statements and/or imply other things, then I will not participate

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never said that it was more appreciated? Please dont twist to suit your argument.

We can discuss this all day, but if your going to add words to my statements and/or imply other things, then I will not participate
Just asked a question. Sorry.

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another of my pet peeves, Packers related, why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame!
There, likely is not a nicer, more sincere person than Jerry Kramer. Yooper, you are correct--An absolute travesty that #64 isn't a HOF'er.

Do you live in the UP?

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There, likely is not a nicer, more sincere person than Jerry Kramer. Yooper, you are correct--An absolute travesty that #64 isn't a HOF'er.

Do you live in the UP?
I certainly do.
Born and raised.
Had a few interruptions but am retired here in Ishpeming.

alien visitor

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Excellent synopsis. My favorite part of the EPIC FAIL stick it to Ted, culminated with a dude named Tracy Porter. That play surprised absolutely no one and in the case of Vikings fans, it was one big scoop of "be careful what you wish for, morons". I especially love the picture that went around that season, of Favre's wife and some chic who looks like someone from Housewives of Who Gives a Crap, and a Vikings fan wearing a 4 jersey and the nameplate said THANKS TED. Uh, yeah, like, sure and ... you're welcome, slapnuts, lol.

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall in Favre's house one year later when Ted and Aaron were holding the Lombardi trophy. When Favre threw his TV remote at the wall in disgust, do you suppose it splintered into just a few pieces, or a million pieces? Eh, who the F cares? I sure don't. Next time, think ... before you decide to show up uninvited and turn a team's training camp into your own dumb little circus for no reason.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
He would have missed the wall!!

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I certainly do.
Born and raised.
Had a few interruptions but am retired here in Ishpeming.
Spent a lot of time in Sault Ste. Siberia. My Grandparents and other family members lived/live there. Hope Spring comes soon!

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spent a lot of time in Sault Ste. Siberia. My Grandparents and other family members lived/live there. Hope Spring comes soon!
Spring is not looking good according to the long term forecast.
It doesn't help that Lake Superior was 90 % frozen over.
I hope to never see another winter like this in my lifetime.
At least it's not below zero every morning any more.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score

BTW...thank you for your service. There's not one pro athlete I put on a higher pedestal than somebody that put his life on the line for his country. Thank You

Members online

Latest posts