Biggest Pet Peeves regarding the Green Bay Packers

OP
OP
Ace

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well you can't expect much in the way of intelligent respectful discourse from a guy that uses various forms of Brentmint and thinks it's clever. I know a guy who insists on referring to Favre as Lorenzo and thinks he's really cool. Most people think he's an idiot. He's also taking results of a poll which asks a different question than what we're even talking about and somehow twists those results to claim factual validation of his point of view. Classic non sequitur
The poll question, assuming he explained it correctly is, who was more concerned with the long term welfare of the franchise, well I hope to god that would be packer management. Brett Favre was a 39? year old athlete, an employee, his agent was an agent, no relationship to the packers whatsoever. It's really a ridiculous question, or a question designed to obtain a desired response in 84% of people. My stated opinion is Green Bay MANAGEMENT do not do a good job of MANAGING the situation. I don't think too many thoughtful people would maintain that they could not have done things better. I guess I could put out a poll today asking who has the long term interests of the Green Bay packers more at heart, packer management or Aaron Rodgers and his agent, if 16% of people say the latter they aren't thinking very clearly. Nomofo (cute monicker btw) is really obsessed with it..... What.... Ever. It's my #1 pet peeve with the organization because I really have no other issues with the organization, eventually the passage of time will resolve most of it. I wish they had done a much better job handling the situation at the time. I think eventually Favre will come back to Lambeau and I'm sure there will be a few people who boo him, there always "those people " in any large group.

This is the last thing I'm going to say on this... I have no problem with you or anyone having an opinion, as I've said I'm learning to accepts other opinions, and if you're going to stick to that that's fine. The problem is is that mine and others opinions here are based on factual evidence meaning events that actually occurred during the summer of 2008. Favre did retire. Favre did ask to come back 2 weeks after retirement and then a week later change his mind. Favre was given the chance to come back all the way up til after family night that year. Favre did create an incredibly hostile atmosphere for Aaron Rodgers with his waffling, see below for further explanation on this. The Packers did create a timeline of events regarding this situation which IMO was to cover their @$$es in case this were to happen.

He knew exactly what he was doing. He knew he had the entire fan base in the palm of his hand, including myself to some extent although by training camp I had moved on and was ready for AR, and used that to his advantage by coming back to training camp. If you want to make the argument of why didn't they just release him and let him be on his way, fine I think that's a valid argument. But from a team and business standpoint that wouldn't have been a smart move whatsoever. The relationship was so damaged at that point that he was going to do whatever he could to get back at management (go to Minny) for something that could have easily been avoided if he himself hadn't been so wishy washy. Instead they made a smart decision for the TEAM, and traded him, got what they could for him, and moved on. Again, they essentially traded Brett Favre for Clay Matthews and Aaron Rodgers. How is that not a good move for the TEAM? I believe based on the facts that I know, not love or hatred for Favre or my love for the Green Bay Packers, that Brett Favre was in the wrong. Like I've said, sending Murphy down there with $ for him to go away was absolutely ridiculous and never should have happened. This got to a point where it was a no-win situation for everybody involved, and it could have all been avoided had Brett either never retired or stayed retired.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The pick they got for Favre was a "throw away" in the trade with New England(?)If you look at the trade value chart Green Bay gave above chart value to move up, then threw in the "Favre pick". Maybe New England would not have made the deal without it. my sense at the time was that Green Bay did not want anyone identified as the guy they traded Favre for. A good move by the organization. The fact that that pick turned out to be part of the trade to wind up with Mathews is great. I believe they could have gotten more for Favre if they had not botched the situation the way they did. By the time the commissioner jacked them up and told them to work it out, potential trading partners knew they had GB in a real bind. Yes the whole thing could have been avoided if Favre had not retired or had stayed retired. But once he decided (with perhaps some pressure) retire, and then come back, the organization had to deal with that situation. They (IMO) did a horrible job. If I eat poorly my arteries clog and need a heart bypass the surgeon should still do a professional job. If he screws up the operation and I die or have a bad outcome, yes some of the fault is mine, but he still is also to blame, probably more so because he is supposed to be a highly trained professional. Management should have MANAGED better. I was a military officer for 24 years. My job would have been So much easier if all my troops had been model soldiers. Guess what, they weren't. If I had told my boss that I had botched a situation because one of my subordinates had been hard to deal with I can't even imagine what the response would have been. I probably would have been told to go find a different line of work. Maybe Green Bay MANAGEMENT met your standards, they did not meet mine. I guess we'll agree to disagree there.

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The pick they got for Favre was a "throw away" in the trade with New England(?)If you look at the trade value chart Green Bay gave above chart value to move up, then threw in the "Favre pick". Maybe New England would not have made the deal without it. my sense at the time was that Green Bay did not want anyone identified as the guy they traded Favre for. A good move by the organization. The fact that that pick turned out to be part of the trade to wind up with Mathews is great. I believe they could have gotten more for Favre if they had not botched the situation the way they did. By the time the commissioner jacked them up and told them to work it out, potential trading partners knew they had GB in a real bind. Yes the whole thing could have been avoided if Favre had not retired or had stayed retired. But once he decided (with perhaps some pressure) retire, and then come back, the organization had to deal with that situation. They (IMO) did a horrible job. If I eat poorly my arteries clog and need a heart bypass the surgeon should still do a professional job. If he screws up the operation and I die or have a bad outcome, yes some of the fault is mine, but he still is also to blame, probably more so because he is supposed to be a highly trained professional. Management should have MANAGED better. I was a military officer for 24 years. My job would have been So much easier if all my troops had been model soldiers. Guess what, they weren't. If I had told my boss that I had botched a situation because one of my subordinates had been hard to deal with I can't even imagine what the response would have been. I probably would have been told to go find a different line of work. Maybe Green Bay MANAGEMENT met your standards, they did not meet mine. I guess we'll agree to disagree there.
Thanks for the service! Very logical. Let the hate begin!

OP
OP
Ace

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure if your serious! Gotta stay loyal! What a game!

Im serious. Im a Marquette fan have been since I was about 8 years old. I am a fan of UW football but hate the basketball program. That being said, I think Bo Ryan is a fantastic coach.

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im serious. Im a Marquette fan have been since I was about 8 years old. I am a fan of UW football but hate the basketball program. That being said, I think Bo Ryan is a fantastic coach.
Love the Warriors! Oops, Golden Eagles. Grew up watching Al and his teams in the late 60's/early 70's.

Was at the Final in Indy when Bucky lost to MSU. This Badger team has a shot--Much more talented overall than **** Bennett's team. Great stuff for Bo Ryan and the fine State of Cheddar!

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since management's number one job is to build a football team, trading Favre and using that 3rd round pick to get Matthews was a fantastic job by the management.

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Tapatalk

Last edited:

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since management's number one job is to build a football team, trading Favre and using that 3rd round pick to get Matthews was a fantastic job by the management.

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Tapatalk

Ha! Well that's an understatement, lol. Nothing could be more blatantly obvious.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trading up to get Matthews was a great move. I guess you could make some kind of twisted argument that had they handled Favres departure more appropriately and wound up with more compensation (along with NOT being dishonest and ******), they would not have traded up to get him. Maybe they wouldnt have had to trade up. But trying the Favre fiasco to Matthews is a real real stretch. I think them TT apologists ( on this matter) mix up the right of the franchise to choose their future QB, with the obligation to conduct itself in an ethical and above board manner. That's where GB as a franchise gave up its claim to be "special". People say, "well Favre did this Favre did that" , remember the old saying "I'm not Johnny's mom/dad"? My issue is not with Favre, he's an athlete they come and go. My issue is with the franchise which conducted itself in an embarrassing manner. People who don't "get it" never will, it's not about what Favre did, it's about what the Green Bay Packers did. The commissioner didn't tell Favre to knock it off, he told the Packers to knock it off ( and abide by their and the leagues contractual obligations). Fortunately for the Packers, the more time that goes by the more people forget. However as Favres HOF induction gets closer the issue is going to come up again, I hope the Packers AND Favre both handle it better this time around. I care a LOT more about how Green Bay handles it.

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My issue is with the franchise which conducted itself in an embarrassing manner. People who don't "get it" never will, it's not about what Favre did, it's about what the Green Bay Packers did.

Wow. I was hoping to not have to say another thing on the subject, but I'm forced to. It's not about what Favre did??? In case you forgot - it was entirely and ALL about what he did. March 8, 2008. That should have been the last time he set foot in town, until his jersey ceremony. What exactly did the Packers do wrong again??? Weren't they just moving on, based on Favre's own decision???

This will never end. :(

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trading up to get Matthews was a great move. I guess you could make some kind of twisted argument that had they handled Favres departure more appropriately and wound up with more compensation (along with NOT being dishonest and ******), they would not have traded up to get him. Maybe they wouldnt have had to trade up. But trying the Favre fiasco to Matthews is a real real stretch. I think them TT apologists ( on this matter) mix up the right of the franchise to choose their future QB, with the obligation to conduct itself in an ethical and above board manner. That's where GB as a franchise gave up its claim to be "special". People say, "well Favre did this Favre did that" , remember the old saying "I'm not Johnny's mom/dad"? My issue is not with Favre, he's an athlete they come and go. My issue is with the franchise which conducted itself in an embarrassing manner. People who don't "get it" never will, it's not about what Favre did, it's about what the Green Bay Packers did. The commissioner didn't tell Favre to knock it off, he told the Packers to knock it off ( and abide by their and the leagues contractual obligations). Fortunately for the Packers, the more time that goes by the more people forget. However as Favres HOF induction gets closer the issue is going to come up again, I hope the Packers AND Favre both handle it better this time around. I care a LOT more about how Green Bay handles it.
Remember, as I have been scolded, there is not a bust of Favre in Canton. For some of the folks who post here, #4 wouldn't be inducted into the HOF. They decline to acknowledge what he did for the franchise and what he accomplished as a player. So be it.

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This could be anything from fans, to coaching staff, to TT anything that bothers you in regards to the Packers.

A few of mine:

-When fans say "Clay can't stay on the field" or some form of this statement. While this may be somewhat true, it irritates the hell out of me. To me fans use this just for something to complain about. If they would just assume, much like I do, that Clay isn't going to play 16 games then this won't be an issue.
-Anytime anyone even suggests that the Packers should trade Aaron Rodgers for defensive help, and believe me I've heard it more then once. This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. The argument is he is making too much money which is preventing the Packers from adding impact defensive players. I can't even begin to wrap my head around this kind of logic.
-I'm probably going to get bashed for this but the whole "KUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHNNNNNNNNNN" thing has always irriated me. I like John Kuhn as a player, and he seems like he's a great guy but I don't like this at all. I have the same problem with the "LUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCC' chants for Johnathan Lucroy.
-MM and his vagueness when it comes to injuries. It drives me nuts.
-Eventhough I understand it and I support it, TT refusal to use free agency will always drive me nuts. I know that seems contradictory but I can't help but get irritated by it eventhough I understand the process.

I also hate when people whine about Clay being injured a lot. Here are my two MAIN arguments as to why Clay is a BEAST and worth every penny we will pay him.

1) Clay Matthews has been our only major pass rush threat for the last two / three seasons. It is no secret that Clay is routinely double teamed. When he is double teamed, he has to exert more energy to get pressure. Exerting more energy means he is putting more stress on his body, and the more stress one puts on his body the more fatigued one gets. The more fatigued one gets, the more prone to injury. Clay Matthews is injured so often because over the course of half a season he has to do a season and a half's worth of "fighting in the trenches".

2) Even though he has been injured for multiple games in the last 2 seasons, he still recorded 13 and 7.5 sacks. Not too bad for someone who 5 games in 2013, and 4 games in 2012.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I have no idea why you came off so confrontational, as I wasn't even referring to you as a know-it-all, just simply saying that every generation of fans has those who think they know more than the rest.

I find your first paragraph to be rather offensive. I'm in my 30's and did 2 OIF tours to Iraq. I also have a degree in Accounting, if you're looking for that kind of "life experience". I'm not bragging about either. I'm simply saying, please don't assume you know someone and their story.

I have no idea where you were going with your rant after that. I never questioned your experience or education. Congratulations on your accomplishments with ASCII. I never questioned the value of old news. In fact, I said the sensationalizing of news today because of the internet is part of the reason that people tend to believe in myths.

By the way, you're dead wrong about your last paragraph, which is ironic since it screamed to my "ignorance of the truth". I do my research before I go claiming things, Don. I don't go read a Yahoo article and then try to pass it off as fact.

Here's a good article from CNN last year about the drop in violence the last 20 years. Go ahead and tell me that CNN isn't credible. I'm fairly certain they were covering the news "back in your day". In fact, I remember watching their live coverage of the Challenger disaster in 1986 when I was very, very young. It's not an opinion article. It's not an editorial. It's based on actual research.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/08/us/study-gun-homicide/

"Researchers have studied the decline in firearm crime and violent crime for many years, and though there are theories to explain the decline, there is no consensus among those who study the issue as to why it happened," the researchers say in a summary."

I'm glad you can take a 200 word (or so) post from me and make various assumptions from it, including that I
"didn't live in those days before the internet", "haven't gained enough experience" (wow), and am "wet behind the ears". I'm glad you think you can make a big blanket statement about "young people" and have them all pegged. Congratulations on that, sir.
Every generation of fans has their know it all and that's the way it should be. The fans who lived it know it best. The guys who look at stats can't possibly understand the generation of that football and understand the evolution of the game.
I don't care if my first paragraph is offensive. You see, this is what separates your generation from the one before it.
You think the world should worry about feelings and I think it should be about results.
As for your OIF tours and your degree so you've been abroad and been a student. Yep, life points for sure but not mortgage, raising babies and having a career points right? What more is there to life you don't have a clue? But yea, you know it all right?
Any person who can talk to me and believe that CNN is a credible news source, at any time in their existence, has already lost me. That is quite simply the very worst of every single news source I've ever read for biased reporting. You have got to be kidding me when you suggest I take you seriously and use a CNN report as credibility.
No prob dude. I wouldn't care if CNN was around in the 1950's. It is dead last in credibility for objective reporting.
It's seriously why people of your age can't be taken seriously, you don't even know where the truth is!!!!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Remember, as I have been scolded, there is not a bust of Favre in Canton. For some of the folks who post here, #4 wouldn't be inducted into the HOF. They decline to acknowledge what he did for the franchise and what he accomplished as a player. So be it.

Not scolded, you said he is in the hof..Its a technicality, but he isnt.

If you say future hof, then you would be right.

Brett was great for the team, helped to bring it back to glory ALONG with coaches and other players.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every generation of fans has their know it all and that's the way it should be. The fans who lived it know it best. The guys who look at stats can't possibly understand the generation of that football and understand the evolution of the game.
I don't care if my first paragraph is offensive. You see, this is what separates your generation from the one before it.
You think the world should worry about feelings and I think it should be about results.
As for your OIF tours and your degree so you've been abroad and been a student. Yep, life points for sure but not mortgage, raising babies and having a career points right? What more is there to life you don't have a clue? But yea, you know it all right?
Any person who can talk to me and believe that CNN is a credible news source, at any time in their existence, has already lost me. That is quite simply the very worst of every single news source I've ever read for biased reporting. You have got to be kidding me when you suggest I take you seriously and use a CNN report as credibility.
No prob dude. I wouldn't care if CNN was around in the 1950's. It is dead last in credibility for objective reporting.
It's seriously why people of your age can't be taken seriously, you don't even know where the truth is!!!!

Wow. My opinion of you just went completely in the gutter. You are the most judgmental, ignorant, bitter man I could possibly imagine and I want to do everything I can to avoid growing up to become like you, and ending up on a high horse as I get older because of my life experience.

I never, ever claimed to "know it all", and Don, I couldn't care less what you think about my feelings. By the way Don, OIF tours mean a little bit more to me than having "been abroad." What did you think I was "abroad" for, wineries and sightseeing tours?

I actually do have a mortgage, I'm married, I have a 9 year old son and a 1 year old daughter, and I work a very good career with very bad hours working southern swing shift to support them so my wife can stay at home with the children. (who I am constantly helping out and spending time with when I am actually home, before you make some sort of ignorant, condescending remark about that.) Not that any of it is your business, but you continue to dig yourself in a hole with your judgmental garbage and then finish it off with that last sentence gem about people of my age not being able to be "taken seriously". I would be willing to wager I've been through just as much "life experience" as you in a lot less years. But again, you're too busy sitting up there judging the younger generation to consider any possibility of what they've done.

As for CNN, every mainstream news source has its share of biased reporting (CNN isn't the worst by any means towards either wing), but that was never the point. The point was that I pointed something out that is statistically factual by MANY sources, you denied it, then when I came at you with references, you had nothing factual to come back with, so you just attacked my source. (surprise, surprise).

Since its clear that no matter what source I use, you're just going to attack and discredit it, why don't you tell me what a DevilDon approved source is so I can do my research through them?

Since the beginning of this thread, I've gone from
1 - Trying to convince you why this is still a great place to post and pointing out that any generation of people with access to internet and football information would have the same interactions that we all do here.
to
2 - Being grateful you don't post here much anymore, because you're completely close-minded and your go-to tactic is simply to attack those who use statistics or research and look down on them because of your decades of additional time as a Packer fan, and you ironically contribute greatly to the thing that you originally said causes you not to post much anymore.

Last edited:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Can you give examples how the Packers conducted in embarrassing manner?

Keep in mind, Brett went on talk shows, did an interview, his "people" orchestrated Brett to fly in and tried to get as many fans as possible to come out to show support..

Then you have the lies Brett said---not to stick it to Ted..Then yeah it was to stick it..

So I just like the embarrassing things the Pack did..Quotes, interviews, things like that

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Keep in mind, Brett went on talk shows, did an interview, his "people" orchestrated Brett to fly in and tried to get as many fans as possible to come out to show support..

Then you have the lies Brett said---not to stick it to Ted..Then yeah it was to stick it..

So I just like the embarrassing things the Pack did..Quotes, interviews, things like that

Enter endless babble about people not accepting "opinions" here. :laugh:

It's really pretty obvious by comments brent supporters keep making that they really and truly know very little about the facts of the entire nightmare. ...even though they insist otherwise.

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also hate when people whine about Clay being injured a lot. Here are my two MAIN arguments as to why Clay is a BEAST and worth every penny we will pay him.

Well ... I don't know that it's "complaining" about him being injured, but it is a legitimate concern, don't you think? He needs to quit breaking his thumb every ten plays. Aside from that, I wouldn't trade him for anyone. Julius Peppers' presence will help Clay immensely. I'm excited to see this tandem at work. Opposing lines need to pick their poison because when Peppers is on, he's on and very hard to block. His 6'7" height makes him very difficult to deal with for much shorter tackles.

OP
OP
Ace

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well ... I don't know that it's "complaining" about him being injured, but it is a legitimate concern, don't you think? He needs to quit breaking his thumb every ten plays. Aside from that, I wouldn't trade him for anyone. Julius Peppers' presence will help Clay immensely. I'm excited to see this tandem at work. Opposing lines need to pick their poison because when Peppers is on, he's on and very hard to block. His 6'7" height makes him very difficult to deal with for much shorter tackles.

The hamstrings are a bit concerning yes, but breaking his thumb?? As I said in my original post, if everyone would just assume Clay is only going to play in 14 games, much like I do, then this isn't an issue. He's so damn good and so vital to this D when he does play that I'm not going to kill him if he misses a game or 2.

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Excellent synopsis. My favorite part of the EPIC FAIL stick it to Ted, culminated with a dude named Tracy Porter. That play surprised absolutely no one and in the case of Vikings fans, it was one big scoop of "be careful what you wish for, morons". I especially love the picture that went around that season, of Favre's wife and some chic who looks like someone from Housewives of Who Gives a Crap, and a Vikings fan wearing a 4 jersey and the nameplate said THANKS TED. Uh, yeah, like, sure and ... you're welcome, slapnuts, lol.

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall in Favre's house one year later when Ted and Aaron were holding the Lombardi trophy. When Favre threw his TV remote at the wall in disgust, do you suppose it splintered into just a few pieces, or a million pieces? Eh, who the F cares? I sure don't. Next time, think ... before you decide to show up uninvited and turn a team's training camp into your own dumb little circus for no reason.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
Ace

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Excellent synopsis. My favorite part of the EPIC FAIL stick it to Ted, culminated with a dude named Tracy Porter. That play surprised absolutely no one and in the case of Vikings fans, it was one big scoop of "be careful what you wish for, morons". I especially love the picture that went around that season, of Favre's wife and some chic who looks like someone from Housewives of Who Gives a Crap, and a Vikings fan wearing a 4 jersey and the nameplate said THANKS TED. Uh, yeah, like, sure and ... you're welcome, slapnuts, lol.

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall in Favre's house one year later when Ted and Aaron were holding the Lombardi trophy. When Favre threw his TV remote at the wall in disgust, do you suppose it splintered into just a few pieces, or a million pieces? Eh, who the F cares? I sure don't. Next time, think ... before you decide to show up uninvited and turn a team's training camp into your own dumb little circus for no reason.

Still love this!!! Oh do we as Packers fans know the feeling!

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The hamstrings are a bit concerning yes, but breaking his thumb?? As I said in my original post, if everyone would just assume Clay is only going to play in 14 games, much like I do, then this isn't an issue. He's so damn good and so vital to this D when he does play that I'm not going to kill him if he misses a game or 2.

Good point - I had actually forgotten about the hamstring issue. I agree - a few games here or there, is not a big deal. But we need him in every game - he's that much of a difference-maker.

Members online

Latest posts