Biggest need: cornerback

DarkHelmet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Going back several seasons the Packer's biggest problem has been the pass defense, especially on third down. Capers' scheme is part of the problem -- everybody knows when he's calling a blitz and decent quarterbacks pick it apart. But a large part of the problem is that we haven't had a decent pair of cornerbacks in years. Shields was good, but often hurt. With Shields gone we've got young players who were drafted to be studs in the defensive backfield and have so far disappointed. Clinton-Dix has been up and down. D. Randall has been completely unreliable. Gunter was too slow. Rollins was slightly below average on a good day.

Burnett (when healthy) and Clinton-Dix (when he's on his game) are good enough, I guess. But the corners are not even close to good enough. The jury is still out on the '17 draft class. Maybe one of those guys will step it up and be above average. We need to keep drafting DBs in the hope of hitting on a good one. But in my opinion the Packers need to acquire a proven veteran corner who can cover the opponent's number one receiver.

Vontae Davis has just been cut by the Colts. I have no firm opinion on him, but as a two-time Pro Bowler perhaps the Packers should take a look. He's hurt right now, but we're not going anywhere this year anyway. Possibly a rehab project for next year?

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed, before ARod got injured this were my sentiments exactly. Feels like the team was only one top notch CB and pass rusher away of getting to the big game. Davis is old though, I'd rather have a new GM pick up or trade for a solid veteran or invest another high draft pick in the position.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I couldn't agree more that CB is one of the Packers more glaring needs. Though, I am not a fan of FA CB's. With the exception of a few (Talib in Denver, the 1 year stint Revis had with the Pats, AJ Bouye and Morris Clayborne as a NY Jet), these guys went into defenses that welcomed success at the position. Look at the schemes the Packers put together defensively. They are not conducive to elite corner status. We welcome teams to throw the ball 6-10 yards through the middle or 15+ yards to the outside. This defensive scheme would not allow a shut down corner to excel. That being said, let me further my point by discussing corners struggling in new (Packers secondary style defenses). Stephen Gilmore has been garbage in NE, a team that is struggling defensively. Logan Ryan has not done a whole lot in Tennessee, though he should really not be utilized more than a nickel corner anyways. Prince Amukamara has been very quiet in Chicago, and Joe Haden has been underwhelming in Pitt. The first order of business that GB needs to take care of is DC and determining what defensive identity this team has. Then we can structure the personnel accordingly. Right now we could have Rhodes and Patrick Peterson on the field and it would not make much of a difference.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Randall is doing pretty well as a slot corner. The last few weeks he's been good. He had a pick 6 against the Bears if Perry doesn't tip the pass at the line.

House is ok, but he's getting old. Can't expect much from him in the future.

King is going to be really good. Really, really good.

Rollins just doesn't have the physical attributes to succeed.

There's a few good ones in the draft. Josh Jackson from Iowa being my favorite as of right now, but I haven't studied film that much yet.

As for the safeties, HaHa has been awful. Not sure what his deal is, but he needs to pick it up. Burnett is solid. Jones should be good, but he takes bad angles. That is improvable, and he makes plays, so I have high hopes for him.

As for safeties in the draft, Minkah Fitzpatrick is the best, imo.

Reaction score
Edge rusher and Corner. In that order
King was a solid Pick especially considering he slid to the second round. His speed and length at 6’3” is ideal. I’d love to have at least one more 6’2+ Corner with similar attributes.
I think you go after a top CB ..IF it’s there round 1. Let these current other Corners fight it out for backup spots and get rid of the rift raft
CM3 has not given us production worth his $66M contract. I’d rather initiate plans to move on and have two 5-10Million dollar veterans eventually take his place. This way if one goes down your drop off isn’t substantial and if one underperforms you don’t have all your eggs in one basket. We’re always gonna have an OLB battling injuries so you should have 3 guys who could be starter capable at OLB.
Competition is not limited to playing other teams, internal positional competition is your friend (e.g, see our RB group this year)

Last edited:

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
an impact cb and a pass rushing end or line backer would be fantastic, and using both the draft and free agency to get it done is imperative, but a different d philosophy is the most important thing that must be done.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know... As usual we are worried about the defense, and I don't disagree, but I think it may be time to give the offense some attention. I would like to see a stud WR drafted. Jordy is getting old, Adams is good but I'm afraid not great. Cobb seems to have slowed down. Davis, Janis, and even Geronimo are imo never going to be more than JAGs (Janis should just be gone lol). We do have Mccaffry and Clark on the practice squad, but they are unknowns and I would really like to see a first or second round stud come in here to give Rodgers the kind of threat that ALL defenses fear.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like King...a lot, unfortunately he's in Green Bay where there must be something in the water or air because he's already susceptible to injury like every corner before him. Randall? I mean he's so inconsistent I've given up on him...he will have a solid game, and then look lost in coverage the next two games. House is average at best...nothing he does jumps out on film, and just like Randall, he seems to give up too many big completions at critical moments.
I like Hawkins but where has he been? Did he suffer and into dont remember?? Either way a corner needs to be drafted in the first two rounds next year. I don't expect to see Rollins, Randall, or House back next season. Instead King, Hawkins, Waters, and a rook.

Time for Green Bay to finally really but an emphasis on speed and length at corner. King is the first one they've drafted like that.

Last edited:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our needs in order:

1. New DC
2. OLB with some pass rush skills
3. OT with history of staying injury free
4. CB
5. 5T
6. TE

I would take any of the positions with first pick.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I like King...a lot, unfortunately he's in Green Bay where there must be something in the water or air because he's already susceptible to injury like every corner before him. Randall? I mean he's so inconsistent I've given up on him...he will have a solid game, and then look lost in coverage the next two games. House is average at best...nothing he does jumps out on film, and just like Randall, he seems to give up too many big completions at critical moments.
I like Hawkins but where has he been? Did he suffer and into dont remember?? Either way a corner needs to be drafted in the first two rounds next year. I don't expect to see Rollins, Randall, or House back next season. Instead King, Hawkins, Waters, and a rook.

Time for Green Bay to finally really but an emphasis on speed and length at corner. King is the first one they've drafted like that.

Pac 12 Or "Soft 12"

Carl 2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Since the benching, Randall has been playing solid football.

As this point in the year, I see no reason to think he won't be back next season.

pizzle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My dream "tank" mock draft in '18:

Dorance Armstrong Jr OLB, kansas 1st
Jaire Alexander CB, louisville 1st TRADE
Ogbonnia Okoronkwo OLB/ILB, oklahoma 2nd
Tyrell Crosby OT, oregon 3rd
Isaiah Wynn OT/G/C, georgia 5th
Jordan Thomas TE, miss state 5th [comp]
Da'Shawn Hand DE, alabama 6th [comp]
Brandon Facyson CB, virginia tech 6th [comp]

A few things about this scenario-we get these picks by trading 3rd+5th compensatories plus 4th+6th regular picks for a middle 1st. We also before the draft trade Nick Perry, Damarious Randall and a 7th for the rights to Trumaine Johnson.

The picks would also be predicated on us probably only winning vs the Browns for the rest of the year, thereby having Top-7 draft order.

Johnson could be a #1 CB for us in a man-oriented scheme. King is destined to be a physical, complimentary #2 corner in said scheme, as long as he gains some upper body strength over the next few off-seasons. Jaire IMO could step right in and be a top-flite slot corner/nickelback as a rookie. We had Sam, Tramon, and Casey as our top 3 guys at one point during the secondary's good times under Dom around our 1st SB win with Aaron. We need to get back to having 3 solid corners that help the pass rush get home with time/hesitation from the opposing QB. We still can have flexibility to play 3 safeties (Jones, Burnett, HHCD) in a dime package, but we need 3 corners who can plaster WRs for us to have a respectable defense in the future.

I think that by forcing TT & Dom to retire/telling Eliot Wolf to be aggressive/hiring Todd Bowles or Dave Aranda to run the defense (along with a draft like the one I've cooked up) we'd be able to finally have consistently good corner play again matched with some young, athletic juice to fuel the pass rush and depth at important positions (OL,DL,TE)-thus revamping the team for a real championship run.

Last edited:

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since the benching, Randall has been playing solid football.

As this point in the year, I see no reason to think he won't be back next season.

Solid is a stretch ...but he has been better since the benching, that I agree with. Idk about resigning him tho.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has been at least solid since then. To not acknowledge that proves your bias, or your failure to actually watch. Which is it?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
My dream "tank" mock draft in '18:

Dorance Armstrong Jr OLB, kansas 1st
Jaire Alexander CB, louisville 1st TRADE
Ogbonnia Okoronkwo OLB/ILB, oklahoma 2nd
Tyrell Crosby OT, oregon 3rd
Isaiah Wynn OT/G/C, georgia 5th
Jordan Thomas TE, miss state 5th [comp]
Da'Shawn Hand DE, alabama 6th [comp]
Brandon Facyson CB, virginia tech 6th [comp]

A few things about this scenario-we get these picks by trading 3rd+5th compensatories plus 4th+6th regular picks for a middle 1st. We also before the draft trade Nick Perry, Damarious Randall and a 7th for the rights to Trumaine Johnson.

The picks would also be predicated on us probably only winning vs the Browns for the rest of the year, thereby having Top-7 draft order.

Johnson could be a #1 CB for us in a man-oriented scheme. King is destined to be a physical, complimentary #2 corner in said scheme, as long as he gains some upper body strength over the next few off-seasons. Jaire IMO could step right in and be a top-flite slot corner/nickelback as a rookie. We had Sam, Tramon, and Casey as our top 3 guys at one point during the secondary's good times under Dom around our 1st SB win with Aaron. We need to get back to having 3 solid corners that help the pass rush get home with time/hesitation from the opposing QB. We still can have flexibility to play 3 safeties (Jones, Burnett, HHCD) in a dime package, but we need 3 corners who can plaster WRs for us to have a respectable defense in the future.

I think that by forcing TT & Dom to retire/telling Eliot Wolf to be aggressive/hiring Todd Bowles or Dave Aranda to run the defense (along with a draft like the one I've cooked up) we'd be able to finally have consistently good corner play again matched with some young, athletic juice to fuel the pass rush and depth at important positions (OL,DL,TE)-thus revamping the team for a real championship run.

This might win the award for THE earliest mock draft I have ever seen......at least while not living in Cleveland!

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need 3 other positions before we need corner help. Safety is one...remember these safeties not coming over the top is why the corners sometimes it looks like they are getting beat. QB is another. I don't know if Hundley is the guy but I'd like to see us bring in a 1st round quality talent and push Hundley to see if he's next or not. Tight End. Mike Gesicke would look good with Hundley right now, and would look even better with Rodgers. Fumigali also.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
We need 3 other positions before we need corner help. Safety is one...remember these safeties not coming over the top is why the corners sometimes it looks like they are getting beat. QB is another. I don't know if Hundley is the guy but I'd like to see us bring in a 1st round quality talent and push Hundley to see if he's next or not. Tight End. Mike Gesicke would look good with Hundley right now, and would look even better with Rodgers. Fumigali also.

Sorry, but why would you spend a first round pick on a QB? Rodgers is going to be around longer than a rookie's contract will last. If Rodgers goes down again next year or the year after, you are probably in the same position as we are currently with Hundley, no experience guy with a lot of hype coming in to learn.

Only way I see spending a high pick on a QB in 2018 is if there is any kind of information that Rodgers is done in the next 4 years. I haven't heard of any. If Hundley doesn't show enough progress by the end of the year, start looking for a Vet QB that Hundley has to beat out in preseason.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Going back several seasons the Packer's biggest problem has been the pass defense, especially on third down. Capers' scheme is part of the problem -- everybody knows when he's calling a blitz and decent quarterbacks pick it apart. But a large part of the problem is that we haven't had a decent pair of cornerbacks in years. Shields was good, but often hurt. With Shields gone we've got young players who were drafted to be studs in the defensive backfield and have so far disappointed. Clinton-Dix has been up and down. D. Randall has been completely unreliable. Gunter was too slow. Rollins was slightly below average on a good day.

Burnett (when healthy) and Clinton-Dix (when he's on his game) are good enough, I guess. But the corners are not even close to good enough. The jury is still out on the '17 draft class. Maybe one of those guys will step it up and be above average. We need to keep drafting DBs in the hope of hitting on a good one. But in my opinion the Packers need to acquire a proven veteran corner who can cover the opponent's number one receiver.

Vontae Davis has just been cut by the Colts. I have no firm opinion on him, but as a two-time Pro Bowler perhaps the Packers should take a look. He's hurt right now, but we're not going anywhere this year anyway. Possibly a rehab project for next year?

I wouldn't touch Davis. He's approaching 30 and the Colts cut him, The Colts!!! A team with a **** head owner, a one arm QB, and no game plan cut a two time Pro bowl CB...no way!!!

Carl 2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has been at least solid since then. To not acknowledge that proves your bias, or your failure to actually watch. Which is it?

It seems Randall has become the new Adams when Adams had that down year. Early in his 3rd year, Adams took a lot of heat even when he was fine.

Some people don't judge players accurately just because of their name.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems Randall has become the new Adams when Adams had that down year. Early in his 3rd year, Adams took a lot of heat even when he was fine.

Some people don't judge players accurately just because of their name.
My biggest problem with Randle was his attitude and immaturity. I'm hoping that has changed some... we will know that sooner of later.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My biggest problem with Randle was his attitude and immaturity. I'm hoping that has changed some... we will know that sooner of later.

I honestly don't care if you can play well. Ball out, do what you want. Just win baby.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry, but why would you spend a first round pick on a QB? Rodgers is going to be around longer than a rookie's contract will last. If Rodgers goes down again next year or the year after, you are probably in the same position as we are currently with Hundley, no experience guy with a lot of hype coming in to learn.

Only way I see spending a high pick on a QB in 2018 is if there is any kind of information that Rodgers is done in the next 4 years. I haven't heard of any. If Hundley doesn't show enough progress by the end of the year, start looking for a Vet QB that Hundley has to beat out in preseason.

Here's your information: Concussion issues, both collar bones broken, 1 broken foot. 34 years old

Members online

Latest posts