Biggest "good" surprise of the Preseason?

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The Packers never said anything about him being on the bubble. The only ones who ever said that was a sports writer or two and a handful of fans.

Seriously? Google "Jeff Janis On the bubble". I will let you decide how many is 1-2 writers.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Care to wager?:sneaky:

Based on 2015 and 2016, I think you will lose that bet. Abby came off the PS in 2015 and immediately went ahead of him. Last year, Allison did the same. I think even Davis as a rookie passed him by. I am not making this stuff up.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seriously? Google "Jeff Janis On the bubble". I will let you decide how many is 1-2 writers.
I did that. I don't see much there aside from a couple of bloggers' opinions. What matters is what the Packers have to say about him. That's what I pay attention to.

McCarthy on Aug 3 - "Definitely core player on special teams. Does some things exceptionally well as a receiver. He's having a good camp."

McCarthy on Aug 22 - "Jeff’s really in the groove. He’s an excellent four-down player both on offense and special teams, and he’s had big plays both last week and this week. He’s having a great training camp.”

See if you quit listening to the talking heads and instead listen to what is being said by the people who matter, it's doubtful that they ever really considered him on the bubble at all.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Based on 2015 and 2016, I think you will lose that bet. Abby came off the PS in 2015 and immediately went ahead of him. Last year, Allison did the same. I think even Davis as a rookie passed him by. I am not making this stuff up.

Check your calendar. BTW, Allison is a stud. He stands a good chance of surpassing Cobb too this year.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I did that. I don't see much there aside from a couple of bloggers' opinions. What matters is what the Packers have to say about him. That's what I pay attention to.

McCarthy on Aug 3 - "Definitely core player on special teams. Does some things exceptionally well as a receiver. He's having a good camp."

McCarthy on Aug 22 - "Jeff’s really in the groove. He’s an excellent four-down player both on offense and special teams, and he’s had big plays both last week and this week. He’s having a great training camp.”

See if you quit listening to the talking heads and instead listen to what is being said by the people who matter, it's doubtful that they ever really considered him on the bubble at all.

LOL.....so you trust only Mike McCarthy and his word? You don't think he has any other motivation besides telling it straight up? You don't trust your eyes or anyone else's objective opinion?

McCarthy on Malachi Dupre (cut):
“He’s definitely an accomplished receiver coming out of college,” McCarthy said. “He’s done a lot of good things. Mentally, he’s probably picked it up the quickest of the perimeter group. He’s having a good offseason.”

McCarthy on Fackrell:

“He’s bigger, he’s stronger right now,” McCarthy said. “I feel strongly that he’s making that jump. With that too, you have the offseason, you’re able to put on lean muscle mass. He’s done a lot of really good things on the field. I think his biggest challenge is going to be training camp, and really keeping that weight on during the season. He’s had an excellent offseason.”

McCarthy on Jared Abbrederis (let go):

"I think Jared's had his best offseason," McCarthy said. "I think his route running is exemplary for a young guy. His ability to recognize coverages, and his time clock, his breaking points, his ability to drop his weight -- just all the specifics and details and techniques of route running, I think he's exceptional.

I could probably pull up 100 MM's praises of guys who are no longer with the team. It's his job to praise players. Believe what you want, connect the dots as you may, you and I will just never agree on Jeff Janis is all.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL.....so you trust only Mike McCarthy and his word? You don't think he has any other motivation besides telling it straight up? You don't trust your eyes or anyone else's objective opinion?

That's the thing. I DO trust my eyes, because they are OPEN.

I could probably pull up 100 MM's praises of guys who are no longer with the team.

And the proof is in the pudding. He once again made the team today, now didn't he?

You and I will just never agree on Jeff Janis is all.

And at least you admit your criticisms are prejudicial in nature.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
And the proof is in the pudding. He once again made the team today, now didn't he?

OK....convince me of your point. Pretend it is yesterday. In your opinion (not MM's or the Packers) why should Jeff Janis be on the final 53. Back it up with some real facts, not just "cause I think so" or "cause he did". Please don't also include his prowess at punt returns, I think we covered that.

D

Deleted member 6794

Check your calendar. BTW, Allison is a stud. He stands a good chance of surpassing Cobb too this year.

Allison isn't a fit to play in the slot making it highly unlikely that he will pass Cobb on the depth chart.

Janis solely made the roster based on his performance on special teams though. The proof is in the pudding that the Packers don't trust him as a wide receiver.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Janis solely made the roster based on his performance on special teams though. The proof is in the pudding that the Packers don't trust him as a wide receiver.

Do you have a recent source for that or are you basing it on past assumptions? McCarthy said he has been impressive on both offense and special teams. He has not said that in the past about him. And Hundey said, "He's done a great job as far as progressing with the body catches and to now catching with his hands. He's come a long way and it is showing out there on the field."

Why would they lie about that? Nobody ever lied for him in the past.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Do you have a recent source for that or are you basing it on past assumptions? McCarthy said he has been impressive on both offense and special teams. He has not said that in the past about him. And Hundey said, "He's done a great job as far as progressing with the body catches and to now catching with his hands. He's come a long way and it is showing out there on the field."

Why would they lie about that? Nobody ever lied for him in the past.

Nope......never... :rolleyes:

And I don't think anyone has ever claimed he is a great kick returner. He has had some nice punt returns though.

D

Deleted member 6794

Do you have a recent source for that or are you basing it on past assumptions?

Geez, my assumption on the Packers not trusting Janis as a receiver is based on the coaching staff not playing him on offense aside of once injuries forced them to over the last three seasons and Rodgers not throwing his way while he was on the field for the most part. There's no reason to put any stock into coaches and players talking to the media during training camp.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Geez, my assumption on the Packers not trusting Janis as a receiver is based on the coaching staff not playing him on offense aside of once injuries forced them to over the last three seasons and Rodgers not throwing his way while he was on the field for the most part. There's no reason to put any stock into coaches and players talking to the media during training camp.

It's still fails to take into consideration other factors such as how ridiculously deep the Packers are at WR. There are guys out there starting on some other teams who would be at best 4th or 5th on our depth chart. That's a fact. And yes, there IS reason to put stock into comments by coaches and players. They were saying some things about his progression that they had never said before. I'll just never understand the disdain certain people have for certain players. I love ALL of the men who don the G&G.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It's still fails to take into consideration other factors such as how ridiculously deep the Packers are at WR. There are guys out there starting on some other teams who would be at best 4th or 5th on our depth chart. That's a fact. And yes, there IS reason to put stock into comments by coaches and players. They were saying some things about his progression that they had never said before. I'll just never understand the disdain certain people have for certain players. I love ALL of the men who don the G&G.

I think you are mistaking some fans objectivity when it comes to Janis as having disdain for him. Nothing Janis has done has ever made me not like the guy as a human being. On the other hand, his play at WR just hasn't made me jump up and support him as a Packer player at the position. Some of us are able to take off our Green and Gold glasses when it comes to our opinions of Packer players.

So how "ridiculously deep" ARE the Packers at WR? They suited up all 5 yesterday and only 3 made catches. It will be nice to get Allison back, so they have a 4th option.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's still fails to take into consideration other factors such as how ridiculously deep the Packers are at WR. There are guys out there starting on some other teams who would be at best 4th or 5th on our depth chart. That's a fact.

There's no doubt the Packers have three wide receivers that would most likely start for close to every other team in the league but the team isn't ridiculously deep at the position by any means.

And yes, there IS reason to put stock into comments by coaches and players. They were saying some things about his progression that they had never said before. I'll just never understand the disdain certain people have for certain players. I love ALL of the men who don the G&G.

Janis only played a total of three snaps on offense and wasn't targeted once. That's all you need to know about his role on offense no matter what coaches and players said during training camp. There's no reason to further comment on you blaming others of disdaining players on the Packers roster.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts