Biggest FA loss and Biggest 2006/2007 problem

OP
OP
R

Robin Yount

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cundiff over his 5 year career is a 73% FG kicker. Last year 62.5%

Vinateri over 10 years is 81%. Last year 80%.

Vandy over an 8 year career is 87%. Last year 92%.

Longwell over is 9 year career is 81%. Last year 74%. Prior to last year Longwell averaged 82.3. Which was brought down considerably by his 2001 performance of 64.5%.

OP
OP
R

Robin Yount

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero,

A good kicker to a team could mean the difference between 8-8 and 10-6. In our division that is the difference between golfing and the playoffs.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Robin Yount said:
Zero,

A good kicker to a team could mean the difference between 8-8 and 10-6. In our division that is the difference between golfing and the playoffs.
Robin Yount,

That doesn't mean the team is good because they squeaked into the playoffs. If you're trying to make an argument, why not say good teams win the close games?

OP
OP
R

Robin Yount

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero,

I think you completely missed the point of my last message and the overall thread.

A good team could get within the 30 yard line with seconds left only to have a poor kicker boot the game away.

I am talking about the importance of a good kicker. Once in the playoffs anything can happen. If a good kicker gets us there by clutch kicking, winning us 2 to 3 games during the regular season, I would be thrilled.

Teams are so much closer to each other talentwise these days, that the difference between a playoff team and a team not in the playoffs can be the quality of their kicker.

OP
OP
R

Robin Yount

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But the odds are better that more often than not he doesn't boot the game away.

For example: Vandy's missed kick or Gary Anderson's missed kick in 1998.

In those same situations played out 10 times, I bet those two make 8 of 10. How about Cundiff in the same situation ESPECIALLY under pressure.

I guess we will find out this year.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Probably 7 outta 10........see with kickers you just have to hope that their misses don't come at bad times. That is why I hate to see coaches drive down the field easily and have a chance to win with a TD, instead they take a knee or run to position the field goal kicker. NEVER ever rely on your kicker to win the game.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Robin Yount said:
Zero,

I think you completely missed the point of my last message and the overall thread.

I'd be willing to stake claim to that for sure. Kickers are important, never said they weren't. I just feel if you're gonna say a tea... blah forget it. You're talking to a wall and I'm talking to a wall here lol

OP
OP
R

Robin Yount

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Depack,

Obviously we don't agree. But Cundiff . . . . underpressure 7 out of 10? Come on. Go talk to some Cowboys fans about ol' Billy.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Robin Yount said:
But the odds are better that more often than not he doesn't boot the game away.

For example: Vandy's missed get or Gary Anderson's missed get in 1998.

In those same situations played out 10 times, I bet those two make 8 of 10. How about Cundiff in the same situation ESPECIALLY under pressure.

I guess we will find out this year.

ok, i might be just a girl but i've been watching football for 25 plus years & i have on question...WTF is a get???? did i miss something??? :-?

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Robin Yount said:
Depack,

Obviously we don't agree. But Cundiff . . . . underpressure 7 out of 10? Come on. Go talk to some Cowboys fans about ol' Billy.

I'm being a little facetious here. I just don't have any faith in any kicker. Let the real football players decide the game :wink:

I know kickers are more important than I am giving them credit, I just don't believe in paying them big bucks.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
DePack said:
Robin Yount said:
Depack,

I'm being a little facetious here. I just don't have any faith in any kicker. Let the real football players decide the game :wink:

I know kickers are more important than I am giving them credit, I just don't believe in paying them big bucks.

Pretty much what I'm saying. Let the guys who make the big bucks get the W, don't spend big bucks on a K hoping he splits the uprights a time or two.

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yes, a good kicker can make a difference. But Longwell wasn't a good kicker last year. Was last year a fluke, or is he near the end? We will find out this year.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
billv said:
yes, a good kicker can make a difference. But Longwell wasn't a good kicker last year. Was last year a fluke, or is he near the end? We will find out this year.

Longwell was still better than Cundiff, then again I'm better than Cundiff.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
From what I have gathered (sorry can't reveal sources), TT tried to keep Longwell. He offered him a deal less than the Vikings, but TT went in contract negotiations bent on not overpaying Longwell, and he thought he could get away with a lower offer because Longwell would be faithful to the Packers, and accept a lesser offer to return.

TT underestimated Ryan in this regard, and indeed it may prove to be very costly come 2006/2007 (and beyond).

Should have taken him to Applebee's!

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When you compare Longwell and Cundiff's numbers from last year you get a very unfair comparison. Cundiff had only 8 chances. He was 5/8. Longwell was 20 for 27. Longwell's long was 53 yards and Cundiff had a 56 yarder. He really wasn't that bad and if he shows that he can kick better than the training camp legs, we should be fine.

Drich318

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With all respect to Ryan Longwell, I think our biggest free agent loss is Na'll Diggs. I understand that he was injured and he hasn't played well last year. But he has great size and speed that the Panthers will enjoy and help them be one of the best defenses in the league. The biggest need or problem area for this team is still the interior offense line. The defense will be fine, and the skilled players on the offensive side of the ball will be fine too. We have 6 or 7 young players that will make up the starting guards and center position, hopefully there will be a match and the unit will be good. I hope Wells, Coston, Whittaker, Colledge, White, Spitz, etc. three guys step up and block their tails off. If that happens, this team could be a division winner, and go deep into the playoffs.

Members online

Latest posts