Bigby

packerfan1245

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He looks like he will be our saftey for a while. Hes like the next Rodney Harrison. Think so?

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At the begining of the year I was so frustrated how he would seem to try to lay on the lumber and not wrap someone up. He was bouncing off guys. By the end of the year he seemed to be getting the hang of it.

He has a great deal of up side. But I would say the jury is still out.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree the jury is still out on him, he has played some great games and then not so good of games. But I must say I love that he is physical and hits hard.

bigfog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He looks like he will be our saftey for a while. Hes like the next Rodney Harrison. Think so?

Many regard Harrison as one of the dirtiest players in the NFL, so no thanks to Atari as Harrison. If he turned into the next Leroy Butler, that'd be incredible. I think he still lets his emotions get the better of him though.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Bigby is a more athletic and talented version of John Lynch. He hits hard, is pretty smart(some lapses, sure, but hes so young, get off his back).

Reaction score
I think we'll be seeing a competition at both Safety spots this year.

I think Rouse/Collins/Bigby will battle it out, with the two best Safties earning starting roles.

Bigby has to be a favourite to win one of the jobs, he seemed to realize late in the season that you can be very aggressive on the field without being an idiot.

Should be one of the better training camp battles, IMO.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Throw Culver and Prepah into that discussion as well at Safety.. Culver looked better than Bigby or Collins early in the year before falling to injury. We have a lot of good safety candidates.. hopefully one or two take the next step to a pro bowl level.

Bigby has a shot to do that.. but so do others.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Throw Culver and Prepah into that discussion as well at Safety.. Culver looked better than Bigby or Collins early in the year before falling to injury. We have a lot of good safety candidates.. hopefully one or two take the next step to a pro bowl level.

Bigby has a shot to do that.. but so do others.

It's nice to be in that situation, isn't it? "Which one of our young talented players will earn the spot?!"

Good to be a Packers fan.

Pack93z

Reaction score
all about da packers said:
I don't know about Culver Pack93z, I find it really a negative that he couldn't replace Manuel as starter during his short but terrible stint with us.

Hmmmm... young player grow correct. ;)

I am just saying what I seen early this season and what I read in a couple of different spots. All I do know is that we have more depth at safety than appeared just one offseason ago. To me, some of the most important defenders on the field to make a defense solid. Good safeties can allow CB to play in many different style and can also cover for a mismatch in coverage.

We need someone to give the DC the comfort level to attack in the passing game.

Reaction score
Wasn't Culver hurt (and a rookie) at the time?

Granted he was a rookie, but Manuel didn't look any better than a rookie either Trom.

The injury thing I'm not so sure about, I don't recall Culver having any big injuries during his rookie season, but then again even a nagging injury here or there might of limited him.

Pack93z

Reaction score
Hmmm didn't Grant have to wait for about 8 games to crack the starting lineup? And he isn't a rookie... ;)

Just giving ya crap.. I just like the chances of us having improved play in the deep backfield on defense.

Rilamann

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bigby reminds me a lot of Troy Polamalu from the Steelers.

Bigby is gonna be a good one,im predicting a spot on the NFC pro bowl squad for him in 2008.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Bigby is gonna be a good one,im predicting a spot on the NFC pro bowl squad for him in 2008.

Polamalu is a good comparison, or maybe Bob Sanders, at least in terms of style. Bigby is nowhere near those guys in terms of overall quality of play, though. He has the athleticism and toughness, but probably not the instincts. He got on a roll in December and January, and I hope next year he picks up where he left off.

By the end of the year, I liked our safeties, for the first time since LeRoy left, and I look forward to watching Rouse try to play his way into the starting lineup. He's got a better chance at unseating Collins than Bigby at this point. As for the others, Peprah is a scrappy little special teams player, and Culver is about on the same level, as far as I can tell. He's never impressed me much. I know other fans like him, so maybe I've just missed his good plays.

packattack92

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Bigby is a more athletic and talented version of John Lynch. He hits hard, is pretty smart(some lapses, sure, but hes so young, get off his back).

i'm still not impressed. Too many PI penalties. He'll improve in time and made a lot of big hits in the post season. But the giants showed our secondary's vulnerability

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

i'm still not impressed. Too many PI penalties. He'll improve in time and made a lot of big hits in the post season. But the giants showed our secondary's vulnerability

1. Show me a number of INTS comapred to other safeties in the league
2. Bigby played very well against the giants.

Rilamann

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

Polamalu is a good comparison, or maybe Bob Sanders, at least in terms of style. Bigby is nowhere near those guys in terms of overall quality of play, though. He has the athleticism and toughness, but probably not the instincts. He got on a roll in December and January, and I hope next year he picks up where he left off.

By the end of the year, I liked our safeties, for the first time since LeRoy left, and I look forward to watching Rouse try to play his way into the starting lineup. He's got a better chance at unseating Collins than Bigby at this point. As for the others, Peprah is a scrappy little special teams player, and Culver is about on the same level, as far as I can tell. He's never impressed me much. I know other fans like him, so maybe I've just missed his good plays.

The big thing for Bigby like you guys mentioned and its no secret is the consistiency,the guy can play but hes gotta be a focused smart player week in and week out in 2008 if he wants to be a pro bowl caliber saftey and take his game to the next level.

Last season ecspecially in the first half of the year he did some bone headed **** out there but then you'd foregive him because he'd make a big play or lay a big hit on someone.But at the end of the day he was still inconsistient.

As the season went along Bigby seemed to ''get the hang ot it'' like Raider pride said and become a better and more consistient player.Bigby made more ''big plays'' and ''big hits'' while cutting down the mistakes and bone headed stuff as the season went along and by playoff time he was jacking some people up bigtime.

Bigby might not never quite be on the level of a Bob Sanders or Troy Polamalu but I think he has the physical tools to get pretty close to that level next season if he continues the progress we saw this past season.I have a ton of confidence that Bigby can and will do that.

He better not dissapoint me either because im buying his jersey as soon as they are avalible in stores. 8)

And I agree with Greg about Rouse & Bigby,those two will be the starting safeties next season if I was betting money on it,Rouse has much more big play ability that Collins does.Collins is a decent player but hes one of those guys who will rarely make a big play,but at the same time hes not gonna hurt you either.

Collins is the type of guy whos great to have around as a back up and a guy who can fill in as a starter if Bigby or Rouse get hurt and have to miss a couple games.

The Packers are sittin pretty good at Saftey,just upgrade the pass rush get a little depth at corner hope Favre returns and we stay healthy and the Packers have a great chance to add another Lombardi trophy to the collection in 2008.

mkapp

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bigby played great at the end of the season. Good thing too, as he was looking like another Ahmad Carroll for a few games early on. I like his style of play and his aggressiveness. He one of those guys who seems to always be in the play...good or bad. I am waiting to see how he does in camp and preseason.

kiddikkarus

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember Darren Sharper having some horrible games early in his career. It seemed like every angle he took was wrong. He turned into a fairly solid player for the Packers. I'm hoping that Bigby is able to correct his PI tendencies. Ahmad Carrol nightmares probably give Packer fans less patience in this department.

I am hoping to see Rouse eventually overtake Collins. I didn't see much downside to him this year, and I'm a Virginia Tech guy too.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Atari "The HITMAN" Bigby is not the next anyone...

He is the first Atari Bigby. Look at any Packer safety's numbers their first year or two and the way they played.

Bigby is faster than Butler, more talented than Cecil and Murphy, and though we may be comparinbg different positions, Bigby was less boneheaded than Sharper.

Pack93z

Reaction score
After his playoff run and the sticks he had.. I have used "Thumper" since the Seattle game..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts