Big, dynamic receiver is Packers' missing ingredient

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
with nelson and ty back I think we will be ok with rich rogers. i think he will become faster when he and lacy goes on a diet!

No way this team can rely on RRodgers. He is too frickin' slow.

My 2 cents, Henry won't be around long enough for us to wait until our pick in the second, especially now that O.J. Howard is not entering the draft. If we want him and I think he would be a good pick for the Packers, we are either going to have to grab him at 27 or trade back a few spots, which Ted does well. With a lot of teams seeing what a quality TE can do for an offense, he may not even be around when we pick at 27, although most mocks say he will be.

If Henry puts up good numbers at the Combine he would be a great pick for the Packers at #27. Top ILBs like Jaylon Smith and Reggie Ragland are likely gone by then. Get a LB in the 2nd round.

greenbeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's my least favorite out of the ones I listed, but he's better than Rich Rodgers. He also could settle for cheap.

If he can't get on the field because he's too lazy or not capable to pick up their offense, then there is zero chance he can pick up MM offense, which seems to be pretty hard to pick up for new receivers. RR wasn't great, but he had a better season than the Broncos starting TE Owen Daniels.

MM not only mentioned the need for a big receiver, he also said in his presser, that they had installed alot of plays which revolved around Jordy Nelson in training camp. So a huge chunk of their installed plays for 2015 was gone after JN went down and no other receiver stepped up to fill his role. And you can't just install a ton of new plays midseason. So one more big wr is only one part of the solution, the other part is a more balanced approach with plays they want to isntall for the next season.

Last edited:

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he can't get on the field because he's too lazy or not capable to pick up their offense, then there is zero chance he can pick up MM offense, which seems to be pretty hard to pick up for new receivers. RR wasn't great, but he had a better season than the Broncos starting TE Owen Daniels.
After witnessing the offense this season, it's clear that it revolves around the quality of the players moreso than the quality of plays MM draws up. Defenses were able to shut us down for the most part. Either we need better players to compete in the playoffs, or a better scheme.

greenbeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After witnessing the offense this season, it's clear that it revolves around the quality of the players moreso than the quality of plays MM draws up. Defenses were able to shut us down for the most part. Either we need better players to compete in the playoffs, or a better scheme.

Better players are always good. But if you read my edited previous post, you may see, that i think a more balanced playbook may help too, if one important player goes down.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No way this team can rely on RRodgers. He is too frickin' slow.

If Henry puts up good numbers at the Combine he would be a great pick for the Packers at #27. Top ILBs like Jaylon Smith and Reggie Ragland are likely gone by then. Get a LB in the 2nd round.

If Packers go TE in the first round, then don't expect any help next year. Not sure I can even find the last rookie TE that had even a mediocre season.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Packers go TE in the first round, then don't expect any help next year. Not sure I can even find the last rookie TE that had even a mediocre season.
No doubt it's a transition since TEs are often used much differently in college. But I see Henry getting immediate playing time, if not starting. A lot of these TEs are used to that West coast or Spread offense crap in college, whereas he was in a pro style offense where he was blocking in a 3 point stance as often as he was running routes down the field while the QB dropped back from under center. He's a smart, hard-working kid. He'll pick up the offense and succeed at whatever he has to do.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No doubt it's a transition since TEs are often used much differently in college. But I see Henry getting immediate playing time, if not starting. A lot of these TEs are used to that West coast or Spread offense crap in college, whereas he was in a pro style offense where he was blocking in a 3 point stance as often as he was running routes down the field while the QB dropped back from under center. He's a smart, hard-working kid. He'll pick up the offense and succeed at whatever he has to do.

Haven't looked that deeply at Henry but if he makes even a moderate impact on offense next season, he will be an extreme outlier.

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I highly doubt Henry will be on the boards at #27 or that TT would even take a TE in the first round. Watch it be something silly like a Guard.

sdh09e44

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is why we need to find an ILB in FA so we can address this need in the first two rounds. Never too early to start finding another Jordy Nelson type of player. Could it be Janis? Yea maybe. But lets double down and make 100% sure we can have another one of those guys that we CLEARLY need.

The amount of rookie 1st-2nd round WRs that have had big immediate impacts is huge. I know it didn't happen with Montgomery who was a 3rd but he was hurt and even though i like him, he is just not on the level as some of these guys

Laquon Treadwell Mississippi JR. 6-3 216
Josh Doctson TCU SR. 6-4 190
Tyler Boyd Pittsburgh JR. 6-2 185
Corey Coleman Baylor JR. 5-11 190
Will Fuller Notre Dame JR. 6-0 180
Michael Thomas Ohio State JR. 6-3 210
Pharoh Cooper South Carolina JR. 5-11 208
Tajae Sharpe Massachussetts SR. 6-3 190
Sterling Shepard Oklahoma SR. 5-11 194
Braxton Miller Ohio State SR. 6-1 220
De'Runnya Wilson Mississippi State JR. 6-5 225
Rashard Higgins Colorado State JR. 6-2 181

No idea how many of these guys will be gone at 27. Most likely Treadwell and 1 or 2 other guys like Thomas, Doctson, Coleman, or Boyd. But most likely there will be a STUD wr for the taking at 27 and another guy like Sharpe, Wilson, Miller, Shepard, Copper etc there in the 2nd.

OJ Howard going back to bama was the big dynamic TE we needed. It sucks because this would've been the year to sneakily get him being that he wasn't involved too much in the offense but that wasn't for lack of talent as seen in the national championship. His stock will most likely shoot up for next season and will go top 15.

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is why we need to find an ILB in FA so we can address this need in the first two rounds. Never too early to start finding another Jordy Nelson type of player. Could it be Janis? Yea maybe. But lets double down and make 100% sure we can have another one of those guys that we CLEARLY need.

The amount of rookie 1st-2nd round WRs that have had big immediate impacts is huge. I know it didn't happen with Montgomery who was a 3rd but he was hurt and even though i like him, he is just not on the level as some of these guys

Laquon Treadwell Mississippi JR. 6-3 216
Josh Doctson TCU SR. 6-4 190
Tyler Boyd Pittsburgh JR. 6-2 185
Corey Coleman Baylor JR. 5-11 190
Will Fuller Notre Dame JR. 6-0 180
Michael Thomas Ohio State JR. 6-3 210
Pharoh Cooper South Carolina JR. 5-11 208
Tajae Sharpe Massachussetts SR. 6-3 190
Sterling Shepard Oklahoma SR. 5-11 194
Braxton Miller Ohio State SR. 6-1 220
De'Runnya Wilson Mississippi State JR. 6-5 225
Rashard Higgins Colorado State JR. 6-2 181

No idea how many of these guys will be gone at 27. Most likely Treadwell and 1 or 2 other guys like Thomas, Doctson, Coleman, or Boyd. But most likely there will be a STUD wr for the taking at 27 and another guy like Sharpe, Wilson, Miller, Shepard, Copper etc there in the 2nd.

OJ Howard going back to bama was the big dynamic TE we needed. It sucks because this would've been the year to sneakily get him being that he wasn't involved too much in the offense but that wasn't for lack of talent as seen in the national championship. His stock will most likely shoot up for next season and will go top 15.

1. Kinda hard to make that assessment about Montgomery based off of 6 games in his rookie year.

2. Quite a few people on that list are getting penciled in as between 3rd Round to UDFA with only a few being true 1st and 2nd rounders. I'd imagine if the Packers pick up a WR, it will be on Day 3. TE and ILB are bigger fish that needs frying.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I highly doubt Henry will be on the boards at #27 or that TT would even take a TE in the first round. Watch it be something silly like a Guard.
If Henry is off the board, we HAVE to go ILB.

D

Deleted member 6794

With that said, do we really think Hunter Henry can be the Finley type TE that this offense needs? Hes more of a Greg olsen type which isn't a bad thing at all, but that's a different breed of the TEs like gronk, kelce, reed etc.

I would be ecstatic if we´ll be able to get a tight end like one of them.

So pretty much Big Mike wants a Big TE like Finley, who the Pack have missed sorely. This tight end class is a week one and I don't think another developmental TE is a good idea. I know this is wishful thinking, but why not grab a TE in Free Agency? Short Term Deal with Gates or Vernon Davis? or Even a multiyear deal with Mercedes Lewis or Martellus Bennett(could be cut this year/free agent 2017)? They are big and tough to tackle. Even Cutler can put up big numbers with Bennett, imagine what Rodgers could do with him. I also wouldn't be opposed to a big WR in the first 3 rounds. This years draft is loaded again.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/tight-end/

Bennett is the only one the Packers should be interested in. He´ll most likely ask for a lot of money though if he becomes available.

Tim Wright (54 receptions, 571 yards, 5 TDs) had a nice rookie season in 2013, especially for an undrafted guy.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would we have drafted Rodgers and Adams if we needed big, dynamic receivers? Rodgers is a decent sized TE, but slow, and Adams is pretty average in terms of size and speed. Robinson was bigger and more explosive, and Bryant was a taller, more dynamic player. Among others. This shouldn't be a valid excuse since he has a major hand in selecting these players.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tim Wright (54 receptions, 571 yards, 5 TDs) had a nice rookie season in 2013, especially for an undrafted guy.

Go back and look at the Bucs receivers that year...that team's second leading WR was Tiquan Underwood. Not sure the Packers are in the position to make a rookie TE their second best receiving option (or at least I hope they're not in that position). He's also amounted to pretty much nothing the rest of his career so I'll still say that a rookie TE doesn't do much to help a team.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Go back and look at the Bucs receivers that year...that team's second leading WR was Tiquan Underwood. Not sure the Packers are in the position to make a rookie TE their second best receiving option (or at least I hope they're not in that position). He's also amounted to pretty much nothing the rest of his career so I'll still say that a rookie TE doesn't do much to help a team.
Gronk had 10 TDs his first year. Not really a valid comparison, because there is no Gronk in this draft. GB just needs somebody who can be a mismatch against teams who can hold our receivers in check, and a reliable 3rd down target who can get open. They don't necessarily need to be a 1,000 yard receiver just yet.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Bennett is the only one the Packers should be interested in. He´ll most likely ask for a lot of money though if he becomes available.
How likely do you think it is that the Bears will waive him? It looks to me like he's due to make about $5M with about a $6.3M cap hit and about $5M in cap savings if they waive him. But according to overthecap.com, the Bears have about $31M in cap room vs. the Packers (re: the top 51 on the roster), but the Bears have a lot more holes to fill. Bennett will turn 29 in a couple of months.

D

Deleted member 6794

How likely do you think it is that the Bears will waive him? It looks to me like he's due to make about $5M with about a $6.3M cap hit and about $5M in cap savings if they waive him. But according to overthecap.com, the Bears have about $31M in cap room vs. the Packers (re: the top 51 on the roster), but the Bears have a lot more holes to fill. Bennett will turn 29 in a couple of months.

There were some rumors late in the season that Bennett wanted out of Chicago. The Bears have enough cap room to keep him but not sure they want to hang on to an unhappy player in the last year of his contract in what seems to be another rebuilding year.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gronk had 10 TDs his first year. Not really a valid comparison, because there is no Gronk in this draft. GB just needs somebody who can be a mismatch against teams who can hold our receivers in check, and a reliable 3rd down target who can get open. They don't necessarily need to be a 1,000 yard receiver just yet.

Yes, Gronk, the best TE in NFL history, was a very good rookie. If we're going to use Gronk as the example that a TE can make an impact, I'm still really comfortable saying that rookie TEs can't be counted on to make an impact.

So far we have Tim Wright, who had a decent year on a Bucs team that featured Taquan Underwood at WR (apparently they were confused that year and thought they were the Nets while trying to tank games) and the best TE ever....

A quick list of TEs drafted in the first round in recent years: Anthony Becht, Bubba Franks, Todd Heap, Jerramy Stevens, Daniel Graham, Jeremy Shockey, Dallas Clark, Ben Watson, Kellen Winslow, Heath Miller, Marcedes Lewis, Vernon Davis, Greg Olsen, Dustin Keller, Brandon Pettigrew, Jermaine Gresham, Tyler Eifert, Eric Ebron.

Out of those guys, Shockey had a good rookie year...that's it. 1 out of 18 ain't great odds, especially when this class is noted as being a pretty weak TE class.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For all the love given to rookie wr it is important this is not projected to be a great rookie class. A lot of guys with late first round to third round guys. It is worse than this year's class which was a pretty big disappointment outside of Cooper and to a lesser extent Lockett and Diggs? Look at a guy like Diggs who was all rookie this year but didn't eclipse 70 yards after his first 4 games. If this class is weak like this past year than we are not looking at an impact wr late in the first

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts