Big, dynamic receiver is Packers' missing ingredient

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's right, but he also knew this would be an issue as soon as Jordy went down. Couldn't they have done more to address that issue besides waiting a year for Jordy to get healthy?

blockandtackle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope the coach gets that big inside threat that he wants. I also hope that James Jones gets a chance to stay. He was a wonderful addition (re-addition) this season. His production could be great in a more fitting role as a 2 or a 3, where he wouldn't have to face the other team's best corners every week.

sdh09e44

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A 6 foot 5 225 lbs jr from the best college football division in the nation.

2013 Mississippi State SEC
FR WR 10 gp 26 rec 351 yds 13.5 avg 3 td
2014 Mississippi State SEC
SO WR 10 gp 47 rec 680 yds 14.5 avg 9 td
2015 Mississippi State SEC
JR WR 13 gp 59 rec 905 yds 15.3 avg 10 td

Comparisons to Calvin Johnson and Kelvin Benjamin.

I went to FSU and watched KB for 2 seasons and the first 25 seconds of this Wilson highlight that's exactly who I thought about. They are almost identical.

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

:eek: Where did this guy come!? Speed, Hands, not afraid to fight for a ball, just as physical as the DBs lining up across from him (which a lot of our O had problems with getting jammed at the line). There has to be a catch to this kid.

EDIT: Ah I knew there was a catch to him. Looked like he passed the sniff test but hearing otherwise.

1/9/15: Wilson totaled 60 receptions for 918 yards and 10 touchdowns in 2015. He's a big possession receiver for the NFL who will struggle to separate from NFL cornerbacks.

8/10/15: Wilson had a quality sophomore season and worked well with Dak Prescott. In 2014, Wilson caught 47 passes for 680 yards with nine touchdowns. The big question for Wilson will be if he has enough speed to separate from NFL-caliber cornerbacks.
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2016WR.php#Ke70rryLHqEk1Pjc.99

Last edited:

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
with nelson and ty back I think we will be ok with rich rogers. i think he will become faster when he and lacy goes on a diet!

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A 6 foot 5 225 lbs jr from the best college football division in the nation.

2013 Mississippi State SEC
FR WR 10 gp 26 rec 351 yds 13.5 avg 3 td
2014 Mississippi State SEC
SO WR 10 gp 47 rec 680 yds 14.5 avg 9 td
2015 Mississippi State SEC
JR WR 13 gp 59 rec 905 yds 15.3 avg 10 td

Comparisons to Calvin Johnson and Kelvin Benjamin.

I went to FSU and watched KB for 2 seasons and the first 25 seconds of this Wilson highlight that's exactly who I thought about. They are almost identical.
He's probably comparable to Benjamin. Calvin is in an athletic class all of his own.

But I was impressed by him. He absolutely destroyed by collegiate team. He's a big guy. But Dan Mullen comes from the Florida coaching tree which takes a football only approach with its players, and doesn't really seem to care about academics, morals, the law, etc. Just winning. So there's a chance he could do something stupid and end up as wasted talent.

sdh09e44

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:eek: Where did this guy come!? Speed, Hands, not afraid to fight for a ball, just as physical as the DBs lining up across from him (which a lot of our O had problems with getting jammed at the line). There has to be a catch to this kid.

EDIT: Ah I knew there was a catch to him. Looked like he passed the sniff test but hearing otherwise.

Unfortunately I found he and 4 other guys were pulled over and arrested on marijuana possesion last March. They were quickly released and he faced no discipline with the football team.

Without any repeat offenses with him I don't think that should be a deal breaker with this kid.

Can grab him in the second or third round too or would that be too good to be true here in packer land

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately I found he and 4 other guys were pulled over and arrested on marijuana possesion last March. They were quickly released and he faced no discipline with the football team.

Without any repeat offenses with him I don't think that should be a deal breaker with this kid.

Can grab him in the second or third round too or would that be too good to be true here in packer land

Seeing that scouts are not liking his speed, might not be worth the pick. We already have a possession TE in RR who has great hands. We need a field stretching TE that can block as well. Not seeing it in De'Runnya.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seeing that scouts are not liking his speed, might not be worth the pick. We already have a possession TE in RR who has great hands. We need a field stretching TE that can block as well. Not seeing it in De'Runnya.
That's a lot to ask for. Some of the premiere TEs in the league can't block. But there should be plenty who are better at that than Rodgers.

sdh09e44

Cheesehead
Reaction score

In a perfect world you would line him up opposite jordy which would give us two deep threats, jordy obviously being the better one.

They said the same thing about Benjamin. That he has lazy routes and lacks top end speed/may not be able to separate from dbs and was maybe a product of the high powered offense led by Jameis Winston.

And to clarify, I only brought up Wilson because of that article where MM said you need big and physical pass catching targets. Don't know if he was saying they are gonna out and get one or if they think they'll have that fully back when jordy returns...but if they want another one, that's what this guy is and could be picked after we address the main need in the first round.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I've heard a lot of people say they think he's going to bust. I don't know what I think about him just yet, but I know I'd much rather get Hunter Henry and then possibly a mid to late round bigger receiver like Tajae Sharpe, Cayleb Jones, or take a chance on Quinshad Davis. I just don't know about taking a guy early just because he's big and watching him bust. The other guys could bust, but they'd be a later pick.

It might even be better to take Henry and then a smaller speed wide receiver later. That way we can expose the middle and redzone, but also have a guy that can blow the top off a defense. Some one like an Antonio Brown or John Brown. Large wide receivers with top speed, good routes, and great hands are hard to find.

DON BARRETT

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He played basketball in Alabama never played football and MS state got em, I have been watching him for 3 years at state and he is GOOD raw talent and can only get better. Any team that gets him will benefit I believe.

D

Deleted member 6794

He's right, but he also knew this would be an issue as soon as Jordy went down. Couldn't they have done more to address that issue besides waiting a year for Jordy to get healthy?

Nelson was lost during the preseason. Thompson made the best possible move by bringing Jones back but there weren´t any receivers available capable of replacing Jordy at that time.

sdh09e44

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've heard a lot of people say they think he's going to bust. I don't know what I think about him just yet, but I know I'd much rather get Hunter Henry and then possibly a mid to late round bigger receiver like Tajae Sharpe, Cayleb Jones, or take a chance on Quinshad Davis. I just don't know about taking a guy early just because he's big and watching him bust. The other guys could bust, but they'd be a later pick.

It might even be better to take Henry and then a smaller speed wide receiver later. That way we can expose the middle and redzone, but also have a guy that can blow the top off a defense. Some one like an Antonio Brown or John Brown. Large wide receivers with top speed, good routes, and great hands are hard to find.

I wouldn't be against any of those other Wrs. Like how we could grab them on day 3 or 4. Davis was pretty consistent all 4 years at UNC. Never truly know what can happen with any draft pick ever, I'm not one to pretend like I know.

With that said, do we really think Hunter Henry can be the Finley type TE that this offense needs? Hes more of a Greg olsen type which isn't a bad thing at all, but that's a different breed of the TEs like gronk, kelce, reed etc.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't be against any of those other Wrs. Like how we could grab them on day 3 or 4. Davis was pretty consistent all 4 years at UNC. Never truly know what can happen with any draft pick ever, I'm not one to pretend like I know.

With that said, do we really think Hunter Henry can be the Finley type TE that this offense needs? Hes more of a Greg olsen type which isn't a bad thing at all, but that's a different breed of the TEs like gronk, kelce, reed etc.
If Henry was available at the end of the 2nd, it would be a no-brainer. Other positions may be more of a mess to justify a 1st round pick there.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If Henry was available at the end of the 2nd, it would be a no-brainer. Other positions may be more of a mess to justify a 1st round pick there.

My 2 cents, Henry won't be around long enough for us to wait until our pick in the second, especially now that O.J. Howard is not entering the draft. If we want him and I think he would be a good pick for the Packers, we are either going to have to grab him at 27 or trade back a few spots, which Ted does well. With a lot of teams seeing what a quality TE can do for an offense, he may not even be around when we pick at 27, although most mocks say he will be.

Last edited:

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My 2 cents, Henry won't be around long enough for us to wait until our pick in the second, especially now that O.J. Howard is not entering the draft. If we want him and I think he would be a good pick for the Packers, we are either going to have to grab him at 27 or trade back a few spots, which Ted does well. With a lot of teams seeing what a quality TE can do for an offense, he may not even be around when we pick at 27, although most mocks say he will be.
That's a likely scenario, unless he absolutely botched the combine or tries to pull some crap like Bridgewater.

Packers907

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be looking for a running back or TE in the draft. With Ty and Jordy coming back I think the talent at WR is there, especially with Jones wanting to stay, Janis showing promise and Cobb will still be starting. But then again a new TE coach might be the ingredient they need to get better production out of Richard Rodgers. However, I will say a 6'5 225lbs reciever would make a statement.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I most certainly think that an Olsen type would help this team immensely.

RyanO4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So pretty much Big Mike wants a Big TE like Finley, who the Pack have missed sorely. This tight end class is a week one and I don't think another developmental TE is a good idea. I know this is wishful thinking, but why not grab a TE in Free Agency? Short Term Deal with Gates or Vernon Davis? or Even a multiyear deal with Mercedes Lewis or Martellus Bennett(could be cut this year/free agent 2017)? They are big and tough to tackle. Even Cutler can put up big numbers with Bennett, imagine what Rodgers could do with him. I also wouldn't be opposed to a big WR in the first 3 rounds. This years draft is loaded again.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/tight-end/

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
So pretty much Big Mike wants a Big TE like Finley, who the Pack have missed sorely. This tight end class is a week one and I don't think another developmental TE is a good idea. I know this is wishful thinking, but why not grab a TE in Free Agency? Short Term Deal with Gates or Vernon Davis? or Even a multiyear deal with Mercedes Lewis or Martellus Bennett(could be cut this year/free agent 2017)? They are big and tough to tackle. Even Cutler can put up big numbers with Bennett, imagine what Rodgers could do with him. I also wouldn't be opposed to a big WR in the first 3 rounds. This years draft is loaded again.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/tight-end/

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...to-be-a-non-factor-in-denver/?partner=ya5nbcs

Davis played just one snap on Sunday against the Steelers, raising the question of why the Broncos even bother to activate him on game days if they’re not going to use him. Davis has reportedly struggled to pick up the offense, and the Broncos appeared to lose faith in him after he dropped some passes. Davis hasn’t had a pass thrown his way in the last three games.

Still want him?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts