Big Draft Rumor could play big for the Packers.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rumor has it that the Jet's are going to jump all over Jay Cutler with their 4th pick. They met with him at the Sr. Bowl. This will be interesting becuase the Jets of course have the 4th pick. This sounds legit.... Cutlers value has sky rocketed....

So... The draft goes like this....

1. Houston Texans Reggie Bush, RB, USC

2. New Orleans Saints Matt Leinart, QB, USC

3. Tennessee Titans D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT, Virginia

4. New York Jets, Jay Cutler, QB, Vanderbilt

5. Green Bay Packers, ????

Now the Pack have a major power play. Draft Vince Young, trade him to the Dolphins who really need a QB? Trade Picks with the Raiders and get an extra Raider pick or two for the trade?

They could take any team to the cleaners with Vince's appeal to any QB hungry team.

If the Jet rumor is true.... This is a huge win for the Packers.

RP

OP
OP
R

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The source was ESPN Radio... Colin was talking about it on "The Heard" He said they had coaching staff and scouts all over him. I think he said they even took him out to diner..??? Not sure about that I am paraphrasing becuase I was driving and a big *** truck pulled up beside me... and I had my window open.

One may not like Colin but he has reliable sources.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Senior bowl and or East/West game is hard to evaluate 100 players in 2 days. You can't fall in love with a guy due to this one event. Though I hope the Jets move plays out this way, evaluation has to be carried out through their whole season. I believe Walter Payton only had 39 yards in his senior bowl debut, and he turned out pretty good. On the contrary, I'm sure there have been wide receivers who had 10+ catches in these games yet never panned out in the NFL. This was the analysis of Gil Brandt during the same show this morning.

OP
OP
R

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
calicheesehead said:
The Senior bowl and or East/West game is hard to evaluate 100 players in 2 days. You can't fall in love with a guy due to this one event. Though I hope the Jets move plays out this way, evaluation has to be carried out through their whole season. I believe Walter Payton only had 39 yards in his senior bowl debut, and he turned out pretty good. On the contrary, I'm sure there have been wide receivers who had 10+ catches in these games yet never panned out in the NFL. This was the analysis of Gil Brandt during the same show this morning.

You are right as rain my friend, and so in Gil Brandt.

The bottom line remains, Jay Cutler has proven himself before the Senior Bowl.... He and his agents stalk (Pardon the pun) is rising fast and the Jet's do need a future QB. So let's just pretend for a moment this pans out?

What would my friends on this great forum like to see the Packers do with the opportunity?

RP

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a great scenario. I'm not big on trading down, but in this situation it would be the best thing to do.

What's this about the Titans picking Ferguson? Everything I've been hearing says they will go for Vince Young, or for Leinart if Young is taken by New Orleans. (Jeff Fisher and Norm Chow are both USC guys who would probably love to have Leinart.)

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider...I heard the same thing and I am even hearing that New Orleans may take him as the first QB in the draft ahead of Leinart and Young. The bottomline in all this is that as soon as Vince Young decided to come out early it really increased the value of the #5 pick.

On another note Ferguson has had a pretty good senior week but his senior season wasn't what some expected and he may fall a little. I hope he doesn't fall to us.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've heard a couple of pretty good personnel people are pretty enamoured with Cutler. A lot have him ranked as the #1 QB in the draft. This is great news for the Pack!!

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
as was said, Culter has been a **** pick for a while, not just due to the senior bowl...a lot of comparisons to Brett Favre and he may be someone the Packers should get if he FALLS (yes, I said fall) to 5

tkpckfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
Raider...I heard the same thing and I am even hearing that New Orleans may take him as the first QB in the draft ahead of Leinart and Young. The bottomline in all this is that as soon as Vince Young decided to come out early it really increased the value of the #5 pick.

On another note Ferguson has had a pretty good senior week but his senior season wasn't what some expected and he may fall a little. I hope he doesn't fall to us.

not at all ferguson had a good senior season even with haveing a injury in the beginning of the season. his stock will not fall

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you all think that if Ferguson falls to #5, the Packers will take him? If so, would they consider moving Tauscher in to play guard? I think Ferguson will be a good pick for some teams, but for some reason, I want the Packers to go in a different direction with their pick...anyone else???

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
Do you all think that if Ferguson falls to #5, the Packers will take him? If so, would they consider moving Tauscher in to play guard? I think Ferguson will be a good pick for some teams, but for some reason, I want the Packers to go in a different direction with their pick...anyone else???

Sure, lets take a OL and let the next RB turn out to be the clone of Barry Sanders while we get stuck with a steroid freak!

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeak flashback!!!!

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Jets are smart they will trade down about 5 - 10 spots. We need to take AJ Hawk regardless what anyone else does then take either the guard from USC or Ok state in round two. Or if Ok state one lasts take him in round 3.

Favreforever721

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Titans WILL Draft Vince...and rumor has it(from many places such as ESPN radio)that Jay Cutler will move up draft spots dramatically after the scouting combine.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Drafting Ferguson would make no sense for the Packers. This zone blocking scheme is supposed to depend on quick interior linemen, and moving a mauler like Tauscher to the inside would not exactly make the interior O-line any quicker.

I wonder if Vince Young's stock will fall as the memory of the Rose Bowl fades away. Before that game, a lot of people thought he could turn out to be another Jason White or Eric Crouch. He will be better than that, of course, but if one game caused his stock to go up so much, it's only natural that it could sink back a little over the next few months. For the Packers' sake, I hope that doesn't happen. He could be a great bargaining chip.

It's weird how fast things can change. It's like the stock market. Aaron Rodgers' stock was just fine until a few days before last year's draft, when it went into free fall.

gotarace27

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The closer we get to the draft, the more i like the idea of trading down 5 spots or so and getting more picks. The #10 pick could land us a impact player easily. This draft has more talent in the first three rounds than any in recent memory. We could fill holes on both sides of the ball with quality players and rebuild this team way faster and cheaper than the FA market. I love the idea of building this team with young players out of this draft and the four or five year contracts that come with draft choices. To bad were sitting here looking at so few choices this year.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
NDPackerFan said:

Sure, lets take a OL and let the next RB turn out to be the clone of Barry Sanders while we get stuck with a steroid freak!

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeak flashback!!!!

OMG! :shock: I don't think I could take another Tony Mandarich-like fiasco on draft day!! :shock:

Toronto_Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Drafting Ferguson would make no sense for the Packers. This zone blocking scheme is supposed to depend on quick interior linemen, and moving a mauler like Tauscher to the inside would not exactly make the interior O-line any quicker.

Ferguson couldn't play right tackle anyways.

Toronto_Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
mkapp said:
why not keep Vince if we get him and trade off Rodgers?

Young is a solid prospect, but I don't like getting no immediate results from our first round picks for two years in row. A guy like Hawk, Williams or Ngata would be able to start for us from day one.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think if Vince Young is available at #5 (which I don't think he will be), the Packers will have a difficult decision to make there. I bet the Packers would get numerous phone calls and would decide to trade down to get a later first round pick and an extra 2nd round pick or something...

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't watch the Senior Bowl game today but a poster on another forum ststed that Ferguson was getting man-handled by a mediocre DE in the game...so much so that it was reminiscent of Mandarich.(Is that possible?). In any event OL choice would not, IMO, give us the impact player we need with our 1st rounder.

Members online

Latest posts