Big Ben stopped

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pittsburgh Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger has been injured in a motorcycle accident around 11:30 am Monday, June 12. The team has confirmed Roethlisberger was injured. He was not wearing a helmet when he flew over the handlebars and hit his head on the windshield of a car, according to an eyewitness.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Steelers | Too early to tell how severe for Roethlisberger's injury
Mon, 12 Jun 2006 09:35:11 -0700

Updating a previous report, John Clayton, of ESPN.com, reports Pittsburgh Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger (head) suffered a gash on his forehead during a motorcycle accident Monday, June 12. It is still too early to tell how severe his injury is, but the team is seriously concerned about his condition. Early indications are his injuries are not life-threatening.

Steelers | Roethlisberger injured in motorcycle accident
Mon, 12 Jun 2006 09:11:04 -0700

KDKA.com reports Pittsburgh Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger (head) has been injured in a motorcycle accident around 11:30 am Monday, June 12. The team has confirmed Roethlisberger was injured. He was not wearing a helmet when he flew over the handlebars and hit his head on the windshield of a car, according to an eyewitness. The witness added Roethlisberger seemed groggy and was bleeding from his head, but was able to say his first name. He has been taken to Mercy Hospital, but officials are not commenting on his condition.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just heard on ESPN Radio that he was coherent in the hospital and they were preparing for surgery, but the hospital spokesman did not elaborate on the surgery being performed. He did note that his condition is critical, but stable.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Here's an article from cnn.com:

Roethlisberger hurt
QB in serious but stable condition after crash
Posted: Monday June 12, 2006 12:29PM; Updated: Monday June 12, 2006 1:38PM

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who has said he dislikes wearing a motorcycle helmet, was seriously injured in a motorcycle crash and taken to a hospital Monday.

Dr. Larry Jones, chief of trauma at Mercy Hospital, said Roethlisberger was in serious but stable condition in an operating room Monday afternoon. Roethlisberger was undergoing surgery, but Jones would not say for what.

"He was talking to me before he left for the operating room," Jones said. "He's coherent. He's making sense. He knows what happened. He knows where he is. From that standpoint, he's very stable."

The crash happened at an intersection at the edge of downtown at around 11:30 a.m. A pool of blood was visible there early Monday afternoon.

Lt. Kevin Kraus, a Pittsburgh police spokesman, said police and homicide units were investigating the crash, something standard when there is an accident with critical injuries. Kraus would give no details on the extent of Roethlisberger's injuries or if anyone else was injured in the crash.

A silver Chrysler New Yorker with damage to the front passenger fender was removed and Roethlisberger's bike was loaded onto a flatbed truck.

In only his second year in the NFL, Roethlisberger helped guide the Steelers to the Super Bowl championship last season.

Steelers backup quarterback Charlie Batch arrived at the hospital emergency room. He had no comment.

Calls to Roethlisberger's agent, Leigh Steinberg, were not immediately returned.

The 24-year-old Roethlisberger has said in the past that he prefers not to wear a helmet when riding his motorcycle. He has pointed out Pennsylvania's 35-year-old state law requiring helmets to be worn was amended to make helmets optional.

In May 2005, Steelers coach Bill Cowher lectured Roethlisberger on the dangers of riding without a helmet.

"He talked about being a risk-taker and I'm not really a risk-taker. I'm pretty conservative and laid back, but the big thing is to just be careful," Roethlisberger said at the time. "I'll just continue to be careful. I told him we don't ever ride alone, we always ride in a group of people, and I think it makes it even more safe."

In May 2005, Cleveland Browns tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. tore knee ligaments in a motorcycle accident and was lost for the season.

Roethlisberger continued to ride after Winslow's accident and that angered Terry Bradshaw, who quarterbacked the Steelers to four Super Bowl victories during the 1970s.

Visiting the Steelers' training camp last summer, Bradshaw remarked: "Ride it when you retire."

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
'Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who has said he dislikes wearing a motorcycle helmet"

He seems to wear his football helmet. Its sad for this to happen but even sadder that you won't wear a Motorcycle Helmet. A 3,000 lbs car or going over 30mph creates a bit more momentum than a 300lbs DL. I've got no problem with motorcycles as I own a few, but without a brain bucket, you are soon to be a statistic.

Hammer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
calicheesehead said:
'Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who has said he dislikes wearing a motorcycle helmet"

He seems to wear his football helmet. Its sad for this to happen but even sadder that you won't wear a Motorcycle Helmet. A 3,000 lbs car or going over 30mph creates a bit more momentum than a 300lbs DL. I've got no problem with motorcycles as I own a few, but without a brain bucket, you are soon to be a statistic.
My cousin, a Harley guy, will dress in leather from one end to the other, but only wears a helmet because he has too. When I ask him if his skin is more important than his brain, he tells me that a helmet won't matter if he crashes and I wouldn't understand anyhow. I've busted 3 bicycle helmets over the past 12 years. Can't imagine the damage my head would have sustained had I not worn a helmet....and that was doing 30 mph or less each time.
Hammer

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What, hammer...you just stopped pedaling and fell over??

From all accounts, Big Ben seems like s decent guy. But, this is just another example of "me first" behavior.

The first rule of riding motorcycles amongst the increasingly inept auto drivers is that it is a matter of WHEN you will hit pavement, not IF you will bite it. Exactly the reason I no longer ride amongst the idiots in cars in Minnesota....the nation's WORST drivers. Here is a guy who made an "I want to" decision that is basically a *****-slap to all his teammates who will continue to work hard, not knowing if their leader will be there for them, or even if he is, will he be the same. Head injuries can have lasting and serious consequences. Even though full recovery may be expected, it may take a year or two to fully recover.

Just another me first pro athlete pissing on his team so he can do as he pleases...not that which is right.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Condition Update:

Missing most teeth

Fractured left sinus cavity bone

Broken jaw

9" laceration on back of head.

Mmmmmmmmm....the Gerber's strained peas are looking pretty tempting, eh, Ben??!

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Beleive me, I like Ben and thought he was a great person as we all watched him during his draft day, but if you're going to ride wear a friggin' helmet. As Digs points out, it's a matter of when not if and it will most likely be from a driver who didn't see you.

OP
OP
C

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's not blame the victim here.

The was an out of town driver(Maine plates) in a Chrysler New Yorker(what demographic drives a New Yorker) making a left turn(left turn usually has to yield).

Other drivers out there are not professionals. There is a very minimal stardard of competence to get behind the wheel of a vehicle in this country.

I don't see anything that Roethisberger did wrong.
The accident would have happened had he been driving a car while wearing a helmet.

Perhaps his injuries would not be as severe with steel absorbing some of those newton-meters.

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a regular 18 speed bike and I wear my helmet. I ride it around town and to and from work on nice days like the ones we have been having.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and didnt abide by his contract (which they only enforce if you get hurt, which he did, so now they will, which means he won't get any more money...if he is seriously hurt and misses time).

Honestly, I don't get these idiots. Is it THAT serious, to feel the wind in your hair as you ride your expensive bike? Is it work losing your job? Jeez.

These guys make money off their bodies;their physical gifts, and what do they do? Put their bodies in huge risks in the offseason...and now he paid the price. damn shame.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"I think it can be a risk. It depends on how you ride. I don't ride a sport bike. If I'm riding a sport bike and trying to do tricks, and going 200 miles down the highway, that's probably pretty stupid. But when you're riding a Harley or a chopper and you're riding with a group of people and you're not on the highway and you're cruising, you're relaxing. I don't think its as much of a risk as people make it out to be."
Ben Roethlisberger
---------------------
cue the violin

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
this has nothing to do with state laws.

this has to do with violating his contract(which i said, is only enforced if you get hurt).

The accident WOULD have happened if he was driving a car, but he wouldn't have lost his teeth, had a 9 inch gash on his head(whatever) and have serious leg injuries.

THAT is the point...

THAT is why it is in contracts...

THAT is why Ben is an idiot.

I hope he's ok, he's stupid, but I don't want him to get hurt or anything.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts