Bid to land Keyshawn not enough

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By BOB WOLFLEY
[email protected]
Posted: May 23, 2007

The Green Bay Packers were among the National Football League teams interested in acquiring wide receiver Keyshawn Johnson.

Keyshawn Johnson has retired and joined ESPN as an NFL studio analyst.

But Johnson, 34, decided to end his football career on Tuesday. On Wednesday it was announced he had joined ESPN to serve as an NFL studio analyst.

Besides the Packers, Johnson said teams expressing interest in him were the Tennessee Titans, Oakland Raiders and New England Patriots. He said a few other teams were interested as well, but he did not name them.

"They were very interested," Johnson said Wednesday, referring to the Packers. "We continued to talk to them. My agent continued to talk to them.

"Reggie McKenzie did a terrific job in trying to persuade us at some point in time to take a look at the Green Bay Packers," Johnson said, referring to the pro personnel director for the Packers.

Johnson made his remarks Wednesday afternoon during an ESPN conference call with reporters to announce his hiring.

Johnson said he considered each of the teams that showed interest in him.

"I had a level of interest in every team that had a level of interest in me," Johnson said. "I think that the Green Bay Packers and Brett Favre is always an interesting and exciting opportunity, when you can play alongside one of the greatest quarterbacks to ever play in the history of the game. So, there was always an interest there. We never really got to a point where it was full steam ahead. I was on vacation here and there. I wasn't in a rush to make any decisions."

The team that appeared closest to landing Johnson was the Titans, coached by Jeff Fisher, who played defensive back at University of Southern California, where Johnson starred as a wide receiver.

Johnson's agent, Jerome Stanley, said in a report that the Titans offered a deal worth nearly $8 million for two years, with most of it guaranteed. Johnson visited with Titans coaches last week.

Johnson was the No. 1 overall pick in the 1996 draft by the New York Jets. He played 11 seasons in the NFL with the Jets, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, who won Super Bowl XXXVII with him, the Dallas Cowboys and the Carolina Panthers. He was chosen to play in the Pro Bowl three times.

Recently in an interview, Packers coach Mike McCarthy said he thought Johnson could play at a high level and was a receiver who could be a good fit for the Packers' offense.

In 2006 for the Panthers, Johnson caught 70 passes for 815 yards and four touchdowns, becoming the 16th player in the history of the NFL with 800 receptions in his career. He finished with 814 receptions for 10,571 yards and 64 touchdowns.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read he wanted a 2 year, 12 million dollar deal from the Titans! that is alot and not worth it if the Packers had the chance to make that offer.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The guy is 34 and wanted that much money? And he didn't even gain over 1000 yards last year?
Well........i bet he won't make that much on ESPN.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, he wanted that much? That's hilarious, and by hilarious, i mean TT is a cheap ***.

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard that it was 2 year -- 8 million dollars. And his ESPN deal was comparable.

Keyshawn was one of the bright spots on the Panthers last year. He may not have had the greatest year as far as stats but you have to consider that the Panther mentality is that Steve Smith gets the 1st read almost all the time.

One thing that I thought was interesting was that the Patriots were trying to get him. They are going to have to cut some really good WRs in training camp.

MonBack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What, if Thompson didn't sign him then he's too expensive and not worth it?

4 mil a year doesn't seem outrageous to me.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What, if Thompson didn't sign him then he's too expensive and not worth it?

4 mil a year doesn't seem outrageous to me.
Well, he chose to take the ESPN deal. I guess it's easier sitting behind a desk then getting hit by guys.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I heard that it was 2 year -- 8 million dollars. And his ESPN deal was comparable.

Keyshawn was one of the bright spots on the Panthers last year. He may not have had the greatest year as far as stats but you have to consider that the Panther mentality is that Steve Smith gets the 1st read almost all the time.

One thing that I thought was interesting was that the Patriots were trying to get him. They are going to have to cut some really good WRs in training camp.

He wanted Joe Horn type money, close to 5 million a year

cheesyscot

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Folks It make no sense to me to even consider this guy for that money. Lets go back a few weeks and think of what we could have gotten Moss for? Wasn't it around 3 m a year? So the big hang up isn't the money in Teds eyes it must be the draft picks. Anyway If we could have gotten him for little to nothing I was in favor of it. Look at it this way no more BIG MOUTH MIKE IRVIN anymore.. So that's good

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts