Best WR corps in franchise history?

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
How do you feel about the Pack's current artillery?

I think this is the offense we have been dreaming of for years and years. We have 2 solid RB's in Starks and Grant to share the ground game. We have the BEST WR Corps in the nation, that isn't 2 guys, isn't 3, not 4, but we have many weapons to give them hell, and on top of that, we have the best quarterback in the league.

Right now, I think everyone needs to be appreciative, and thankful, cause what's happening this year is a land mark and will be something to tell your kids about when they are sitting on your knee and getting into football, History is in the making.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I think with out a doubt this is the best wr core in MY history...since I wasnt around before the 60's, I can't compare them..

But they are lot better then Rison, Free, Brooks, Bebe,

However, if your going to include TE then it might be even

D

Dan115

Jennings and Nelson 7 td's a piece. The Packers have never had two receivers with double digit TDs in a season.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
I agree. I used to love watching "Air Coryell" and was really happy when John Jefferson came to the Pack. This offense is about as exciting as any I can ever remember having watched (we actually have a ground game to accompany our passing game), and what is especially awesome about it is: its ours!

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Best WR corps in my memory for sure. But I'd also like to extend that honor to the entire offense as it functions as a unit. Factor in Rodgers, Finley (TE), Starks and Grant as well and I think this is one of the best offensive lines I have ever seen.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They are scary good as a unit,we do have the best w.r group when you look around the league most teams have one good one.You have d-line all over them then you hope and pray some one gets open,pack has weapons and you never know who will get the call and it helps that they are willing to share the weight not take me and only me approach.

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's always tough comparing players or groups of players across eras. If you take into account changes in rules, systems, etc, the receivers of today have never had it easier. Numbers-wise, older WR corps could never match up. The Packers have the best corps in the NFL at the moment--I think few would disagree.
However, I'm tempted to take Lofton, Jefferson & Coffman. All three were Pro Bowlers (when it was more difficult to be elected), and all were voted to various All-Pro teams.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
I'm tempted to take Lofton, Jefferson & Coffman. All three were Pro Bowlers (when it was more difficult to be elected), and all were voted to various All-Pro teams.

It would certainly be hard to disagree with you there. I loved to watch ****ey throw to those guys.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is a legit shot, not likely but still a strong possibility that the Packers WR corp (including TE) could have 4 guys with double digit TD (Jennings, Nelson, Jones, and Finley). That is just crazy to me, has any team ever done that before, I doubt any has.

Reaction score
It is truly amazing. We have a QB that has a decent shot of breaking the all time TD's record. (4 td's in 2 games and 3 td's in the rest) Have any of you ever felt like QB was so good that you knew we wouldn't lose, and if we did, it wouldn't be his fault? That's Rodgers. We have the best receiver in the game. When it comes to overall speed, hands, route running, and getting off the jam, he is the best. The only thing that Andre Johnson and Calvin Johnson have on him is size and that is where J-Mike comes in. I believe Aaron could just have a game plan of just lobbing the ball straight up for him every play and we could easily drive down the field enough times to win the game. Hall of Fame like skills and talent and all he needs is the stats to back it up. Factor in 2 slot receivers like DD and Cobb and teams will have more than a tough time having their 3rd corner or linebacker covering them. James Jones would be at least be a number 2 receiver on almost any other team in the league hands down. Size and speed to go along with decent hands (Not counting mental mistakes on drops) and he poses a threat. You can't forget Jordy who is the next rising (if not already) star player. He's basically like a receiver version of Finley. Size, deceiving speed, excellent route running, and a great possession receiver that might just be one of the best deep threats in the NFL, especially when Jennings is helping him by taking the best corner on the opposing team. Best receiving corp in Packers Franchise history? I'll let you decide.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I simply sit back and watch the SHOW that is displayed every Sunday, I love it, I enjoy it, I can't get enough of it, and I hope it never ends

Helmets

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Being an old aged Packer fan, I was very excited when the Packers got John Jefferson. However he never really matched his Chargers stats or his play with the Packers. I would scream at the TV for ****ey to throw him the ball, but ****ey always would zero in and target lofton, much like Bert did with Sterling Sharpe. Jefferson only went to one ProBowl during his four years in Green Bay, when he caught 27 passes in the shortened 8 game season. That would be 54 receptions over a 16 game season. The following year he caught 57.

Besides Lofton and Jefferson, name another receiver from those early 80's teams. Even die-hard Packers fans would be hard pressed to do so. The question is about the WR Corp, so IMO, the current group will most likely never be equalled.

Psst...
In 1983 when Lofton was all Pro and Jefferson had his best Packer season, the only other two receivers on the roster were WR Gary Lewis with 11 receptions, and Punt Returner Phillip Epps with 18 receptions. IMO, not much of a "Corp."

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Being an old aged Packer fan, I was very excited when the Packers got John Jefferson. However he never really matched his Chargers stats or his play with the Packers. I would scream at the TV for ****ey to throw him the ball, but ****ey always would zero in and target lofton, much like Bert did with Sterling Sharpe. Jefferson only went to one ProBowl during his four years in Green Bay, when he caught 27 passes in the shortened 8 game season. That would be 54 receptions over a 16 game season. The following year he caught 57.

Besides Lofton and Jefferson, name another receiver from those early 80's teams. Even die-hard Packers fans would be hard pressed to do so. The question is about the WR Corp, so IMO, the current group will most likely never be equalled.

Psst...
In 1983 when Lofton was all Pro and Jefferson had his best Packer season, the only other two receivers on the roster were WR Gary Lewis with 11 receptions, and Punt Returner Phillip Epps with 18 receptions. IMO, not much of a "Corp."
Frank: I hear you on the Jefferson being underutilized part. I know the size of (and the numbers put up) of any older group can't compare to today. I was controlling for such variables when I threw my suggestion out there. For their time, having basically your entire starting receiving corp being All-Pros, I think that was pretty formidable.

Greenbayphil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lets look at this offense, maybe we should call it the ''Dream Team''.... On second thoughts, that might be a burden..

Wide Receivers you say?

#1 Donald Driver
#2 Greg Jennings
#3 Jordy Nelson
#4 James Jones
#5 Randle Cobb

Tight Ends

#1 Jermichael Finley
#2 Tom Crabtree
#3 Andrew Quarless

Running Backs

#1 James Starks
#2 Ryan Grant
#3 KUUUUHHHHNNNNN

Oh and for Quarterbacks we have...

THE ONE!
THE ONLY!
MATT FLYNN!

...and company, I think his name is Andy Rodgers?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
As gwh11 said, it is difficult to compare players from different eras. Don Hutson basically invented the modern WR position. He led the league in receptions 8 of his 11 seasons. His career TD record lasted more than 4 decades. IMO he stood farther above his contemporaries than any other WR in the history of the league. It reminds me of a quote from JFK. He hosted a dinner honoring 49 Nobel Laureates at the White House and said, “I think this is the most extraordinary collection of talent and of human knowledge that has ever been gathered together at the White House – with the possible exception of when Thomas Jefferson dined alone.” Hey, it’s just an analogy but the point is, was Don Hutson, at the height of his career, the best WR “corps” in franchise history all by himself?

Boyd Dowler, Max McGee and Ron Kramer were the starting WRs and TE on what I consider the greatest Packers team in history. They were all amazing, but the Packers signature play was the Lombardi sweep.

As gwh11 mentioned James Lofton, John Jefferson and Paul Coffman with Lynn ****ey at QB provided the Packers with an explosive passing game. But the receiving corps in that era lacked depth.

I don’t think the Packers have the best WR in the league but is this the best corps, the best group? IMO it is. But because of the different eras and another factor – the quality (or lack thereof) of the guy throwing the ball to them – it’s an argument that will never be settled. But without question, this is the deepest Packers WR corps I’ve ever seen. So deep I don’t think they’ll miss Donald Driver, the franchise all-time leader in receptions and receiving yards when his time is up. So deep youngsters like Tori Gurley reside on the practice squad. IMO he not only would have been on the active roster in previous years, he would have contributed.

This is yet another tribute to Ted Thompson. He's acquired all this talent with the exception of Driver. He used second rounders on Jennings, Nelson, and Cobb and third rounders on Jones and Finley. He didn't sign a single big name free agent or even spend a first round pick and look at this group!

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As gwh11 said, it is difficult to compare players from different eras. Don Hutson basically invented the modern WR position. He led the league in receptions 8 of his 11 seasons. His career TD record lasted more than 4 decades. IMO he stood farther above his contemporaries than any other WR in the history of the league. It reminds me of a quote from JFK. He hosted a dinner honoring 49 Nobel Laureates at the White House and said, “I think this is the most extraordinary collection of talent and of human knowledge that has ever been gathered together at the White House – with the possible exception of when Thomas Jefferson dined alone.” Hey, it’s just an analogy but the point is, was Don Hutson, at the height of his career, the best WR “corps” in franchise history all by himself?

Boyd Dowler, Max McGee and Ron Kramer were the starting WRs and TE on what I consider the greatest Packers team in history. They were all amazing, but the Packers signature play was the Lombardi sweep.

As gwh11 mentioned James Lofton, John Jefferson and Paul Coffman with Lynn ****ey at QB provided the Packers with an explosive passing game. But the receiving corps in that era lacked depth.

I don’t think the Packers have the best WR in the league but is this the best corps, the best group? IMO it is. But because of the different eras and another factor – the quality (or lack thereof) of the guy throwing the ball to them – it’s an argument that will never be settled. But without question, this is the deepest Packers WR corps I’ve ever seen. So deep I don’t think they’ll miss Donald Driver, the franchise all-time leader in receptions and receiving yards when his time is up. So deep youngsters like Tori Gurley reside on the practice squad. IMO he not only would have been on the active roster in previous years, he would have contributed.

This is yet another tribute to Ted Thompson. He's acquired all this talent with the exception of Driver. He used second rounders on Jennings, Nelson, and Cobb and third rounders on Jones and Finley. He didn't sign a single big name free agent or even spend a first round pick and look at this group!
I agree it's likely the deepest corp. And I also considered Hutson as the top "corps" all by himself...

gbpowner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don Hutson looked like he was an amazing WR. I firmly believe that with today's coaching and training techniques, that he would have easily been able to be competitive within this current group of WRs or any other group for that matter!

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dunno guys... The dude who posted the breakdown on this week's game said the Bucs receivers are "just as solid" as the Packers', so....

Members online

Latest posts