Best week 1 game in packer history?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What was the best game to open up the season in Packer history?

Last seasons has to be up there

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The last few years have been real good games. The game vs NO was a very exciting game to watch and it came down to the wire. The year before that vs the Eagles was also a very good game. Clay Matthews going beast mode on Kevin Kolb and Mike Vick. And then the comeback that the packers stifled forcing a turnover on downs to seal the deal in the 4th quarter

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The last few years have been real good games. The game vs NO was a very exciting game to watch and it came down to the wire. The year before that vs the Eagles was also a very good game. Clay Matthews going beast mode on Kevin Kolb and Mike Vick. And then the comeback that the packers stifled forcing a turnover on downs to seal the deal in the 4th quarter

That game was great last year, some national pundits called it the most exciting game of the whole NFL season. I can't disagree, although our win at the NY Giants may have eclipsed it.

I remember a Packers opener vs the Vikings along time ago (I think it was an opener), when we beat them on a last minute, 4th down TD pass from the Gunslinger, and I remember it also for being going on the exact same time as the amazing Ryder Cup comeback by the USA .... when Justin Leonard made a super long miracle putt that caused such a loud roar & celebration from the crowd that it shook the ground. I think this was 1999 so I am probably one of the few here to have watched the Packer game, and probably THE ONLY one here who also was watching the Ryder Cup at the same time, LOL.

I had 2 TV's going side by side.

Let me see if I can find that game-winning sling by Favray... Here it is, shoot it was week 3 not week 1.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Here was the Ryder Cup finish, with the PUTT HEARD AROUND THE WORLD!
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Crazy Packers Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember a Packers opener vs the Vikings along time ago (I think it was an opener), when we beat them on a last minute, 4th down TD pass from the Gunslinger,

That was the 3rd game of the 1999 season. I remember that year clear as day, as one of the most entertaining Packers seasons of all time. Almost every game came down to the final drive that year, it seemed. The Packers beat Oakland, Minnesota and Tampa Bay in 3 of the first 4 games all on last-second touchdowns and started out 3-1. I could write a book on that 8-8 season, so I'm going to stop here.

Anyway, back on topic: one of my favorite season openers was 2004 when the Packers went to Carolina and Ahman Green ran all over them in a 24-14 win. At the time, everyone thought it was going to be a magical year, what with the great finish to 2003's regular season and how close they came to the NFC Championship Game. It wasn't, but at least it had a good start. The 1996 opener in Tampa Bay (34-3 win at Houlihan's) was probably the best the Packers ever played in an opening game in my lifetime.

Staff online

Latest posts