Best trade/FA pick up ever?

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since Free Agency is the hot topic, due to boredom or medication, I'll pose this question:

What was the best free agency (or traded) player pick up ever? Any NFL team, any cost. Feel free to defend your choice with fact or opinion.

I'm not a big follower of all the NFL teams or their off-season moves, so I'll take our obvious one:

Reggie White. I'm also picking Reggie over Brett because Reggie was a game changer. Teams had to work around his side of the line and he was never a risk to us. Brett on the other hand keeps the other team in the game too often.

My choice Reggie White to the Green Bay Packers.

What's your top FA pick up?

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Best Free Agency pick up ever?

For the Packers... and not to be redundant so White is excluded... Desmond Howard.... changed the momentum for us in many a game.

Overall... Deion Sanders multiple teams... God did I dislike that guy.

* EDIT - 49ers.. took away half the field and allowed the safeties to help an undersized front.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Best Free Agency pick up ever?

Since Free Agency is the hot topic, due to boredom or medication, I'll pose this question:

What was the best free agency pick up ever? Any NFL team, any cost. Feel free to defend your choice with fact or opinion.

I'm not a big follower of all the NFL teams or their off-season moves, so I'll take our obvious one:

Reggie White. I'm also picking Reggie over Brett because Reggie was a game changer. Teams had to work around his side of the line and he was never a risk to us. Brett on the other hand keeps the other team in the game too often.

My choice Reggie White to the Green Bay Packers.

What's your top FA pick up?

Reggie White. Brett was traded, not a FA.

Wasn't Reggie White the leading sacker of all-time when he retired? Also, the guy had charisma. You can never understate what charisma can do for a team. Joe Montana had it. Tom Brady has it. Reggie White had it. If Reggie White was on my bowling team, I'd instantly improve my score by 20 pins.

Plus, weren't we horrible against the run before Reggie? The first year with Reggie, if I'm not mistaken, we were #2 against the run. That's quite an improvement. NOBODY wanted to run at Reggie White.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Drew Brees - He instantly turned the Saints from one of the worst teams in pro football to a serious NFC contender.

Kurt Warner - Street FA, worked night shifts at a grocery store and played some Arena football before he was picked up by the Rams as a 3rd stringer, who turned out great and led the Rams to a Superbowl championship after Trent Green went down. The Rams remained a strong team with Warner at the helm.

OP
OP
T

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Right on with Brees. I agree. As for Warner, he was great with the Rams, yet, their QB before and after were also very good at minimum (or so I thought).

Oh and sorry on the terminology. I'll rephrase the question. I only intended to not included players drafted directly to said team. I'll edit it.

OP
OP
T

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I only remember Deion in Dallas. Was he in San Fran before that?

He definately shut down one side for the passing game.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score

No the Rams didn't have a very good QB before they got Trent Green, he went down in the preseason and they decided to go with street FA Kurt Warner, which turned out to be a great decision. However after Warner left the Rams hasn't been the same team.

Warner put up some impressive numbers, 41 TDs in a season, several 4500+ yard seasons.

Oannes

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not the most popular or best ever but arguably one of the most beneficial that doesn't get the credit like Desmond Howard....

Andre BAD MOON Rison!

OP
OP
T

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Andre was a gift and I'm thankful for him. I'm still going with Reggie as my best ever.

From those listed, I'd say that Deion is a close second, but I don't know enough about what he brought to specific teams, I only remember him in Dallas and what he did there.

Oannes

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/nfl/s/010309depthchartfeedback.html

Click to see John Clayton's Top 5 once you get to ESPN....

It's amazing how FEW free agents have made "star" type impacts. It looks like Reggie and Deion are far and away the TOP 2 of all time. I agree with the guy who mentioned CHARLES HALEY. He was one of the most underrated of all-time to me.

I guess teams are pretty smart about not losing their star players and will pay them.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

It's amazing how FEW free agents have made "star" type impacts. It looks like Reggie and Deion are far and away the TOP 2 of all time. I agree with the guy who mentioned CHARLES HALEY. He was one of the most underrated of all-time to me.

I guess teams are pretty smart about not losing their star players and will pay them.

Just goes to show you that NFL GM's should be taking more chances with Free Agents.

cheesey, Al Harris was picked up via trade I do believe for a 2nd rounder in '03

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oannes said:

Just goes to show you that NFL GM's should be taking more chances with Free Agents.

cheesey, Al Harris was picked up via trade I do believe for a 2nd rounder in '03
Thanks Zero! I didn't remember the specific details of the trade, but i for one thought it was a pretty good one!

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I only remember Deion in Dallas. Was he in San Fran before that?

He definately shut down one side for the passing game.

San Francisco 49ers
After five seasons of feeling like the only bright star in Atlanta and yearning for a Super Bowl championship, Deion signed on to play one season with the San Francisco 49ers, where he had arguably his best season as a professional football player, recording 6 interceptions and returning them for an NFL best 303 yards and 3 touchdowns. One of the interceptions returned for a touchdown came against the Falcons in the Georgia Dome. After getting into a scuffle with his former friend Andre Rison, Sanders caught an interception and proceeded to return it for a score while mockingly glaring at the entire Falcons sideline before high-stepping into the endzone. Sanders was voted the 1994 NFL Defensive Player of the Year and recorded an interception in the 49ers 49-26 win over the San Diego Chargers in Super Bowl XXIX.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FA pickup has to be Reggie White, although his success in Green Bay was aided quit a bit by the other actions of Ron Wolf.

As for trades, the one for Brett Favre would have to be right up there, but another one that paid huge dividends for the Packers was the one for Ahman Green.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts