Best SB Team Ever

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can see why they left off the '10 team, but don't know why '96 isn't in there.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll just be honest here. I don't think that any team was better "in the Super Bowl" than the '78 Steelers. That was a phenomenal team who beat an equally great Cowboys team.

I loved the '96 Packers team for many reasons, and the long road back to respectability was a big part of that. They were an incredible team in the season but I don't think that they played their best in the Super Bowl against the Patriots. The '96 team should have put the Patriots away early. If anything, that Super Bowl was one of the better games played in a long time. It seemed that the stretch that started with the '85 Bears and lasted through all the Giants blowouts in the 1990s were not that exciting. The Packers/Patriots was exciting, but I think it was such because the Packers didn't play as good as they were capable of playing.

The '66 Packers played pretty well against the Chiefs. One of the interesting nuggets in Bob McGinn's super bowl book is about the blitz. If I remember correctly, Lombardi uncharacteristically told Bengston at halftime to dial up a blitz or two and apply some pressure. Lombardi felt that using the blitz was a sign of defensive weakness. However, Hank Stram was sure that the Packers wouldn't blitz because they never did. Sure enough, they did it on a critical third down causing a bad pass that was intercepted by Willie Wood. I think Stram called that the turning point of the game. The Packers never looked back. Classic

OP
OP
Croak

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I'll just be honest here. I don't think that any team was better "in the Super Bowl" than the '78 Steelers. That was a phenomenal team who beat an equally great Cowboys team.

I loved the '96 Packers team for many reasons, and the long road back to respectability was a big part of that. They were an incredible team in the season but I don't think that they played their best in the Super Bowl against the Patriots. The '96 team should have put the Patriots away early. If anything, that Super Bowl was one of the better games played in a long time. It seemed that the stretch that started with the '85 Bears and lasted through all the Giants blowouts in the 1990s were not that exciting. The Packers/Patriots was exciting, but I think it was such because the Packers didn't play as good as they were capable of playing.

The '66 Packers played pretty well against the Chiefs. One of the interesting nuggets in Bob McGinn's super bowl book is about the blitz. If I remember correctly, Lombardi uncharacteristically told Bengston at halftime to dial up a blitz or two and apply some pressure. Lombardi felt that using the blitz was a sign of defensive weakness. However, Hank Stram was sure that the Packers wouldn't blitz because they never did. Sure enough, they did it on a critical third down causing a bad pass that was intercepted by Willie Wood. I think Stram called that the turning point of the game. The Packers never looked back. Classic

I like your signature. That's Mr. Robinson with me in my Avatar. He is a very gracious gentleman.

Jdeed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Several 49er teams rank in the top 5, but the 85 bears were serious.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like your signature. That's Mr. Robinson with me in my Avatar. He is a very gracious gentleman.
Thanks. Yours is equally good. As a person that has now lived more years in Minnesota and is a big Gophers sports fan, that Bart Starr statement still rings true.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's time to dispense with these "greatest evers." There is no "greatest ever" and the proof is the endless arguments that ensue every time someone is proclaimed "the greatest ever." It reminds me of the Margaret Cho comedy bit about her grandmother asking about a friend of hers. "Is he the gay?" And Margaret answers, " I don't know if he's THE gay. That's a lot of pressure to put on one person."

There are some great and even some all-time great teams, players, coaches but it's a plural honor at best. Personal biases have a lot to do with making these judgments. Obviously as Packers fans we will put forth Lombardi, Hutson, the '60's players and teams, the '96 team, Reggie White, etc, etc. on the lists.

As far as the Super Bowl "greatest" is concerned we are now at the half century mark with SB history. That's a wide area covering very different eras in players, rules, etc. We aren't exactly comparing apples to apples here.

Maybe if it's broken down to each decade at most you might get a more fair and accurate estimation but even then there will be the debates. Would the '78 Steelers beat the '72 or '73 Dolphins? How would the '84 or '89 49ers stack up against the '85 Bears or '86 Giants? Were the '94 49ers or the '96 Packers as good or better than any of the 3 '90's Cowboys SB winners?

There's been only one club to win consecutive Super Bowls in the 2000's to date and that was by two 3 point, last seconds decisions. We've seen a different SB winner for the last ten years now. How can any one proclaim a "greatest" from among that kind of a field.?

Have fun with it but it's ultimately the old "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin" routine.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts